• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just beat the game. Didn't really mind the ending to be honest. Or at least not the definite ending, some of the things leading up to it could have been handled a lot better. But hearing people bitch over it made me postponing playing the game for a really long time and made me think the whole game was going to be terrible. It's not.

The thing that strikes me the most when playing Mass Effect though is how much I really love those characters and that universe. I never get invested in fantasy world otherwise but this one I've really enjoyed throughout the years. It's weird how BioWare manages to write some great characters and great lore, while being absolutely terrible at writing the bigger, over-arching stuff.

Buy the Citadel DLC if you like the characters. They did an awesome job with that.

Bisnic

I think I will! Are the other DLCs any good?

They're almost all worth it. Only Omega could be disappointing since its mostly combat and it highly depend on if you care about Aria and Omega.

Citadel is still the best. And you should have From the Ashes downloaded before playing it too, since you'll be missing Javik with it. And Javik's scene in the Citadel DLC is pretty hilarious(like most of them anyway). Anyway, Javik gives a good reason to replay the game since the beginning since he brings a lot of new details.

Aroo

Neo Member
I held out for a while and now I've finally bought Mass Effect 3 (Origin sale.) Glad I held out. Loved the game though I believe I think I liked 2 better as far as combat and story narrative.

I've read about all these add ons and mods that make the game look even better. I also read some of the stuff is taxing even on a 680 GTX. So I decided to upgrade to a 680 GTX (from a 480 GTX) so I can play the game again with these mods.

One thing I don't like is that you need to play the iOS game/DataPad to get enough resources to get the best ending. Luckly, I bought the Infiltrator game in a sale even though the damn Cerberus intel fails to upload and the free DataPad app needs to be forced shutdown and restarted to update your resources.

In this regard, I love that in ME2 you can have everyone survive by playing much better (I also enjoyed the harder modes.)

I will give Mass Effect 3 this,
they really enhanced the romances. I'm a Kaidan Alenko fan and loved his interactions with my femshep. (I loved getting his messages on the iOS DataPad app.) However, I was completely surprised by the male shepard and Kaidan romance. It was very well done (almost Brokeback mountain good without the spit/anal sex.)

Once I get my 680 GTX and all the mods I will be taking screen shots left and right of all my favorite Kaidan Alenko scenes. 8D

EDIT: PS, What is up with the multiplayer? I join in a game and I get destroyed while everyone running around is a much higher level (and all infiltrators.) Another just me and this other guy (soldier and I as a tech) and we just get massacred. I can't say much since the next 2 games I get kicked out and the thing now takes forever to find a game.

One thing I don't like is that you need to play the iOS game/DataPad to get enough resources to get the best ending. Luckly, I bought the Infiltrator game in a sale even though the damn Cerberus intel fails to upload and the free DataPad app needs to be forced shutdown and restarted to update your resources.
The free DLC Extended Cut dramatically reduces the War Assets required for the best ending so that it's easily obtainable just playing through the trilogy. It really should just be a part of all copies of the game at this point.

Bisnic

EDIT: PS, What is up with the multiplayer? I join in a game and I get destroyed while everyone running around is a much higher level (and all infiltrators.) Another just me and this other guy (soldier and I as a tech) and we just get massacred. I can't say much since the next 2 games I get kicked out and the thing now takes forever to find a game.

Lvl 1 and lvl 20 people can play together, so can newcomers with shit weapons, no weapons mods and gear and long time players who have everything unlocked.

If you're getting kicked, its probably because you're either in a difficulty too high for your lvl and guns or you were with assholes. I suggest you stick to Bronze until you get some decent weapons and a N7 rating at least over 120, which will at least prove to others that you have some multiplayer experience. You can improve your rating by getting levels and promoting(reset back to 1) once you hit lvl 20. You shouldn't get kicked from Bronze until then usually.

Also if it takes forever to find a game, just cancel the search and retry again. That usually does the trick for me, as i get a group instantly.

Aroo

Neo Member
The free DLC Extended Cut dramatically reduces the War Assets required for the best ending so that it's easily obtainable just playing through the trilogy. It really should just be a part of all copies of the game at this point.

I got ME3 for PC. It was on sale for 10 USD for the base game, and 14.99 for the digital deluxe that came with "From Ashes", etc... I bought the deluxe
I read up to see if I could save Legion or Morodin or Shepard and it turns out that I can save Shepard if and only if I meet the war Assets criteria.
I don't have the trilogy moreover I have ME1 and ME2 on steam. Could that have something to do with it?

PS, I've seen the real life body from which Kaidan Alenko was based on. It was so surreal, he's missing the personality, voice....biotics...XD

I got ME3 for PC. It was on sale for 10 USD for the base game, and 14.99 for the digital deluxe that came with "From Ashes", etc... I bought the deluxe
I read up to see if I could save Legion or Morodin or Shepard and it turns out that I can save Shepard if and only if I meet the war Assets criteria.
I don't have the trilogy moreover I have ME1 and ME2 on steam. Could that have something to do with it?

PS, I've seen the real life body from which Kaidan Alenko was based on. It's hot, just missing the personality, voice....biotics...XD
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I was just stating that the free DLC "Extended Cut" eliminates the need to play Multiplayer, the iOS app or Infiltrator to boost the Galaxy Readiness rating because in addition to adding and changing a few things in the ending it also dramatically cuts down the amount of War Assets required for the best ending. Just saying that your issue there was taken care of with free DLC.

Now if you still didn't have the required War Assets with the Extended Cut installed, you can still play all those other things to boost your readiness rating. When I played ME3 with my imported save I had no trouble getting the best ending without touching multiplayer or any of the other stuff.

Aroo

Neo Member
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I was just stating that the free DLC "Extended Cut" eliminates the need to play Multiplayer, the iOS app or Infiltrator to boost the Galaxy Readiness rating because in addition to adding and changing a few things in the ending it also dramatically cuts down the amount of War Assets required for the best ending. Just saying that your issue there was taken care of with free DLC.

Now if you still didn't have the required War Assets with the Extended Cut installed, you can still play all those other things to boost your readiness rating. When I played ME3 with my imported save I had no trouble getting the best ending without touching multiplayer or any of the other stuff.

When you mentioned the trilogy I thought that implied something with buying trilogy specifically and playing the games back to back to get the required assets. My misunderstanding.

On another note, it blew my mind that
Vega is played by Freddy Prince Jr.

When you mentioned the trilogy thought that implied something with buying specifically the trilogy and playing the games back to back to get the required assets
Oh no, I literally just meant playing through the previous games and using your imported save file. A lot of things you do in the previous games add War Assets that you'd miss out on if you didn't use an imported save. You imported your saves from your steam games I hope? I don't think it matters which version of the game you have installed since it just checks a folder for the save files.

Zeppelin

They're almost all worth it. Only Omega could be disappointing since its mostly combat and it highly depend on if you care about Aria and Omega.

Citadel is still the best. And you should have From the Ashes downloaded before playing it too, since you'll be missing Javik with it. And Javik's scene in the Citadel DLC is pretty hilarious(like most of them anyway). Anyway, Javik gives a good reason to replay the game since the beginning since he brings a lot of new details.

I got From Ashes and Citadel. From Ashes was a bit short but maybe, as you say, having Javik for another playthrough will make it worth it. And Citadel was so good. One of the best DLCs I've played.

Anyway, I just remembered there's some kind of "narrative" mode in ME3, right? I remember kinda laughing at it when it got announced but yesterday I realised that maybe I should try it out for a Renegade run, since I'm kinda busy right now and don't have much time to play games. Has anyone tried it? How does it work?

Bisnic

I got From Ashes and Citadel. From Ashes was a bit short but maybe, as you say, having Javik for another playthrough will make it worth it. And Citadel was so good. One of the best DLCs I've played.

Anyway, I just remembered there's some kind of "narrative" mode in ME3, right? I remember kinda laughing at it when it got announced but yesterday I realised that maybe I should try it out for a Renegade run, since I'm kinda busy right now and don't have much time to play games. Has anyone tried it? How does it work?

Yeah, bring Javik in the missions next time(especially Thessia), it should be worth it just to hear what he has to say during them or on the Normandy (note : He loves to talk about throwing things out of the airlock, "In my cycle, we used to..." and all aliens being primitives :p). He's not like Kasumi or Zaeed in ME2 where they never had something new to say.

Not sure what is this "narritive mode" you're talking about. Isnt that the mode that makes the combat easier but doesnt change anything about the dialogue?

spekkeh

Banned
Yes that's it. I like the idea of a 'story mode' but never really understood why you'd pick that over simply putting the game on easy. It seems like it would make the protracted shooty bits in between the story even more dull.

Zeppelin

Yeah, bring Javik in the missions next time(especially Thessia), it should be worth it just to hear what he has to say during them or on the Normandy (note : He loves to talk about throwing things out of the airlock, "In my cycle, we used to..." and all aliens being primitives :p). He's not like Kasumi or Zaeed in ME2 where they never had something new to say.

Not sure what is this "narritive mode" you're talking about. Isnt that the mode that makes the combat easier but doesnt change anything about the dialogue?

I was under the impression that "narrative mode" would skip the combat, thus making the game shorter. I guess I was wrong.

And to make amends I decided to don't give a fuck about the important stuff in life and do a Renegade run of ME1 instead!

So I'm close to the end of ME3 and was curious: I haven't really kept up with all the ending DLC, which is the essential one(s)? Should I just experience the main ending first?

Bisnic

So I'm close to the end of ME3 and was curious: I haven't really kept up with all the ending DLC, which is the essential one(s)? Should I just experience the main ending first?

There is only one ending DLC and its the Extended Cut. It's free so don't hesitate. It doesn't add any new gameplay content, but it does add cutscenes that makes the ending more complete and a little less terrible.
You might want Leviathan if you're interested in learning more about the Reapers origin or Citadel for a proper closure of the trilogy with all the squadmates(including Wrex and the ME2 ones), even if both of them are not really ending DLC.

jediyoshi

Threw a little ME related render together in SFM

W806RRS.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Haven't gotten to buying any of the DLC yet, only downloaded the free extended cut. I think I'll download From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega and Citadel for Javik and the new locations/story.

Are any of the other DLC packs with new weapons worth it? I'm not into the multiplayer so I'll skip the map packs, but some new weapons might be fun.

Bisnic

Haven't gotten to buying any of the DLC yet, only downloaded the free extended cut. I think I'll download From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega and Citadel for Javik and the new locations/story.

Are any of the other DLC packs with new weapons worth it? I'm not into the multiplayer so I'll skip the map packs, but some new weapons might be fun.

The missions DLC packs already have some new guns coming with them, so I feel like this is enough. No need to waste money on more guns and appearances.

MNC

if you kissed her at the citadel , then your next event with her will be before you go on the final chapters of the game ..
it's after you attack the cerberus base to retreive the ai ... you'll get another scene before the final attack on earth

and yes that's all if you went for romance with her.
I do hope you have the extended cut dlc on your console or pc otherwise you might have some problems. ( i do think the extended cut dlc add another liara scene mid game too )

rofl this sounds just like a girl-age post

So I finally got this game thanks to EA and their Sim City disaster. Before I start, I remember reading somewhere on here about the DLC available. Somebody said only three of them were worth buying. I think two of them were "Leviathan" and "Citadel" but can't remember the other one mentioned. Any help with the third would be great, really want to start this tonight.

P.S. Also, whenever I try and run the game it crashes straight back to desktop... Anybody experienced this?

Sai

As someone that has bought pretty much any ME-related DLC that's ever popped up, I don't know if my opinion would be trustworthy here. :x

Omega is the only one that doesn't contain any vital story elements, it's all about combat. If you enjoy that aspect of ME enough, and care enough about some additional weapons/mods/XP, go for it. If not, you can ignore it.

[EDIT] - Oh, and make sure you get the Extended Cut. It's free.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Thanks!

I take it these are the only ones worth getting?

Pretty much, From Ashes and Leviathan are pretty key to the lore of the universe and it is a joke that they were DLC and not in the full game, Citadel is the one I haven't actually played but it supposed to be really good in its own right and a great send off for all the characters for those who have played through the series.

Not really a spoiler, but I think everyone should know, there is a mission nearer the end of the game where you have to take Liara, make sure you take the character you get with From Ashes, there's some really interesting information you get only if you take them with you at that point.

Don't forget the Extended Cut ending DLC which has to be downloaded separately, the rest can be ignored as it is just cosmetic or weapons stuff, and unless you are going to play MP you can ignore the MP expansions, while free it just a waste of time if you aren't going to touch that side of the game yet.

Bisnic

Thanks!

I take it these are the only ones worth getting?

Don't forget the Extended Cut and the multiplayer DLCs, these are all free to download. Edit : Looks like I was beaten.

For your crash to desktop problem, I've seen it happen a few times a couple of days ago, whenever I tried to enter multiplayer, I had this crash. A simple reboot of Origin fixed it.

Thanks for all of your replies, I am still getting the crash, can't even start the game. Once I get this fixed I will try and import my 360 ME2 save to my pc and download the dlc (hopefully)

Edit: I have tried everything, restarting Origin, deleting DLC and replacing awc.dll and EACore.dll. Nothing works. Fuck EA and fuck Origin.

Did you use Medi-Gel a lot?

Nope. Less than once a mission, normally picked up at least 100xp from every medi-pac/station

I can't really put my love of the series into words yet. I used to dislike it in my silly little brain because I'm such a Sony fanboy, and knew subconciously that I'd love it if I could play it. Its the best franchise of the generation though. 120 hours of joy, its given me.

I thought that honour would go to Uncharted, but Mass Effect has toppled it.

I want to marry Tali and live on the Normandy, bro'ing it up with Garrus :D

Sai

Hmm... Dunno what to tell you. With an imported save & all the DLC, it's pretty easy to reach 60 around halfway through the game if you avoid using Medi-Gel.

Hmm... Dunno what to tell you. With an imported save & all the DLC, it's pretty easy to reach 60 around halfway through the game if you avoid using Medi-Gel.

I think I could have scraped it with Citadel and Omega, but otherwise I'm not sure what more I could have done. Do you get more XP for killing enemies yourself/killing them with powers etc?

Sai

Do you get more XP for killing enemies yourself/killing them with powers etc?
Nope. Medi-Gel's the only variable XP element in ME3 I can think of.

Certainly would've been more interesting that way though—like the reduced XP from finishing off enemies with the Mako in ME.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Can someone explain me how the Galactic Readiness works?

To have more than 50% per sector I have to play the multiplayer, right?
The green bar, the effective military strength meter, can I fill it without playing multiplayer?

I really don't like multiplayer in this game. <_<

Bisnic

Can someone explain me how the Galactic Readiness works?

To have more than 50% per sector I have to play the multiplayer, right?
The green bar, the effective military strength meter, can I fill it without playing multiplayer?

I really don't like multiplayer in this game. <_<

Yes, you need to play multiplayer to get it higher than 50%.

No, you don't need higher than 50% to see the "best" ending as long as you have the Extended Cut installed and did most of the quests and scanned most of the planets.

neoemonk

I picked this up on New Year's Eve on an Origin sale last year. Got the digital deluxe version or something like that. It came with From Ashes.

I'm just starting to play now and I just got Javik and I'm shocked this was DLC. It seems so important to the story.

I'm very curious about the ending because so far I'm really enjoying the game, so I want to know what they did to garner so much hatred.

Vanguard Insanity run from the get go. It's the only way to fly.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I picked this up on New Year's Eve on an Origin sale last year. Got the digital deluxe version or something like that. It came with From Ashes.

I'm just starting to play now and I just got Javik and I'm shocked this was DLC. It seems so important to the story.

I'm very curious about the ending because so far I'm really enjoying the game, so I want to know what they did to garner so much hatred.

Vanguard Insanity run from the get go. It's the only way to fly.

Extended cut ending is not that bad if it's first time through and you had expected for the worse. I personlly didn't mind it (though I played extended cut first and knew about the fiasco) Expectations probably played a large proprtion of the intial out rage that and other things...

Andrew.

Banned
Bout to finish up my Insanity/Soldier run on ME2 (which was incredibly easy) boot this bad boy up and carry over for the second time. I haven't seen the extended ending or know much about the DLC so playing this again will more than likely feel like the first time all over again. Looking forward to it.

Hopefully Ill be able to get my readiness beyond 50% and try for that Master & Commander troph. Would really like to Plat this this time around.

ME2 Insanity is pretty easy with the Mattock. I remember needing to abuse Adrenaline Rush if you're using any other assault rifle, because you'll run out of ammo without the headshots and damage boost.

Andrew.

Banned
ME2 Insanity is pretty easy with the Mattock. I remember needing to abuse Adrenaline Rush if you're using any other assault rifle, because you'll run out of ammo without the headshots and damage boost.

Absolutely and that's what Im using primarily. With Adrenaline Rush maxed the game is a fucking cakewalk, but really really fun. Ive never played as a Soldier before and Ive done multiple runs on ME1 and 2. It was such a great change!

Also, ME2 ranks as one of the best slo mo sniping headshot experiences for me ever. That Widow rifle is crazy good.

Im guessing Adrenaline Rush carries over into 3? I sure hope so.

The Mattock in ME2 is so overpowered, it's pretty much broken. Vanguard + Heavy Charge + Mattock = Disgusting.

I prefer not to use it just so things don't get too easy. The Incisor Sniper Rifle also ignores the damage nerf squadmates receive when using weapons, and your squadmates are extremely accurate with it at all ranges so it's also pretty OP, for your squadmates anyways. Dang DLC weapons ruining weapon balance.

Andrew.

Banned
Finished the ME2 Insanity run last night and Platted! Starting up ME3 tonight for the second time. Carrying over my Soldier and continuing Insanity. So very excited to see all the extras that were put into it since I played it when it first released.

They didn't patch in weapon holstering by any chance did they?

Bisnic

Finished the ME2 Insanity run last night and Platted! Starting up ME3 tonight for the second time. Carrying over my Soldier and continuing Insanity. So very excited to see all the extras that were put into it since I played it when it first released.

They didn't patch in weapon holstering by any chance did they?

Unless you happen to play the PC version and have that fan mod that enables it(never tried it myself), nope.

Subitai

Yeah I figured. Bummer, but no big deal. Thanks Bis
Did you save Ashley? She's the only one w/ squad weapon damage boost. If not, I'd try infiltrator or vanguard. They get nice weapon damage boosts from powers, but also have a nice selection of powers to lean on for bigger enemies.

Or just play multiplayer where weapon damage is ridiculous.

Aroo

Neo Member
Lately, I've been having this terrible issue where the characters faces during cut scenes are pitch black except for their eye balls. I know it's not the monitor. I updated to the latest NVidia beta drivers (I was on the latest WHQL drivers.)

I haven't played Mass Effect 3 in a while and just started playing it again after I finished ME2. I was playing ME2 since after ME1 I played femshep exclusively and wanted to complete the series again as maleshep.

Reason I said this last bit of info is because after I finished ME3 with FemShep and started ME2 with MaleShep I upgraded to a 680 GTX. I'm playing ME3 now with the new video card and now I have this problem. My previous video card was a 480 GTX.

Any help? I'll try to take a few screen grabs later.

This one isn't as bad but trust me they get much worse. Like the whole face is black and only eye balls show in bright white. This can't be right. I'm thinking maybe it's the dynamic shadows since when I checked when starting up the game I noticed they were off. Perhaps they were off the whole time I played on the 480 gtx.

This is awful.

With 680

With 480 back in early April (Kaidan's face with the 680 is pitch black except for the eyeballs.)

w/ 680

Top Bottom