• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 4 won't feature Shepard's companions, doesn't relate to ME1-3 plot events

Terra_Ex

Good, they'd only fuck it up in some way.
Fully expecting to see Shepard's companions in underwhelming dlc expansions due to fan/BioSocial demand

Marauder Shields saved ME4.

He tried to save us from shit ending..
.It wasn't that bad.
Anyway... I hope they make it more personal this time around. I love mass effect all 3 of them. Most fun I had in game was talking with crew mates and doing non serious stuff. Also Archangel is the coolest guy in the ME universe.

Patryn

Exactly. If they don't do the save import, I'm wondering why they're even calling it Mass Effect 4 at all. If it's not a sequel, then it either took place before Shepard or during Shepard before the war as a different person, but I don't see how they will relate as to the Mass effect series.

I'll kind of be surprised if it's actually called Mass Effect 4 when it releases. I suspect that when it's unveiled it'll be Mass Effect: SUBTITLE GOES HERE.

Why? What could possibly be mined from that universe post- 3? What was left of it anyway.

What could be mined from doing a prequel? We already know how everything turns out, so there wouldn't be a ton of exploration in that either. And the First Contact War is the most overblown thing in the world. I keep harping on the point that the Turians call it an "incident" and not a war, because there was very, very little conflict in it.

DataGhost

It's the same universe, with the same races and some of the same politics. It'd still be Mass Effect.

If they kept doing save importing, it leads to the problem where there are simply too many potential outcomes and they have neither the time, manpower, or resources to properly compensate for all the permutations.

They need to just pick one starting point for everybody and go from there.

If that's the case of picking one starting point for everybody, then why call it Mass Effect 4. That's my logic.

Why not call it Mass Effect: Tales of -insert new MC name here- instead of ME4, making it look like a sequel.

It would be a lot of work to import the saves from the 3rd game and work from there, but if it's just starting point, there's no point in making it look like a sequel.

Timeaisis

I'm glad. They need to move away from those characters, not that they weren't great. But I want a completely new storyline and characters in the universe. I hope it's before the events of the original Trilogy. It would be pretty awesome to experience the
discovery of the citadel
and the
first contact war

Taker34

Banned
Oh well, I still hope for more Shepard & Crew content. I won't forget the original ME cast - ever. That trilogy is very special to me. So, maybe in the next-next-gen of consoles... Shep... :/

I'm still excited though and I'll wait for a trailer and more details. So here we go again:
talireadyw4k3g.gif

If that's the case of picking one starting point for everybody, then why call it Mass Effect 4. That's my logic.

Why not call it Mass Effect: Tales of -insert new MC name here- instead of ME4, making it look like a sequel.

It would be a lot of work to import the saves from the 3rd game and work from there, but if it's just starting point, there's no point in making it look like a sequel.

A number doesn't signify a direct sequel. And apparently they are not calling it ME4 anyway.

My reasoning for wanting it set before ME1 (not much before, I mean, like maybe IMMEDIATELY before) is because that series started funneling the entire universe down to a single storyline and you were spearheading the entire thing.

Surely there's other interesting stories out there besides The Impending Death of All Life

Patryn

Again, it's merely that the press and internally they're calling it Mass Effect 4, and that's imply because of a lack of anything to call it except "the new Mass Effect game" which is a little wordy.

It's highly, highly, highly unlikely that when it releases it'll be named Mass Effect 4.

It's a good idea to get away from Shepard and co. but I'm honestly not sure how much faith I have in their writing staff anymore to put out something compelling.

SLY_

Banned
Good. Take the game in a new direction. Story-driven with heavy emphasis on player/ companion development. More ME1, less ME2-3.

Get rid of the weapons system from 2-3. Hated it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh well, I still hope for more Shepard & Crew content. I won't forget the original ME cast - ever. That trilogy is very special to me. So, maybe in the next-next-gen of consoles... Shep... :/

It's over, man. Done. Finished. Unless you like comics.

DataGhost

Well, they're not calling it Mass Effect 4. They've gone out of their way to say they don't see it as Mass Effect 4, for the reasons that it implies a direct continuation of the Shepard trilogy. It can be set pre, during, or post trilogy, but whatever it is it will be a new narrative.

Didn't know that they're not calling it that.

At the same time, they also said in the quote that they don't want it to be a spin off. I thought the core of the Mass Effect series was the fact that shepard had a "mass effect", in that his influence changed basically the entire universe. So I'm not exactly sure what Bioware is planning to do

Derrick01

Banned
As long as it's not a prequel of any kind or some alternate story taking place at the same time as ME3 then I'm ok with this. No pointless stories.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I better not even hear a friggin reference to a single character. Not even in passing.

That shit is such lame pandering.

Patryn

Okay, then. Parallel to 1? Go much further than that and you start painting yourself into a corner.

Howso? I'd argue that by jumping an extra couple hundred years you open up more possibility. More of the galaxy to explore, possibly more races to encounter, probalby a changed political situation, and everything will have been rebuilt. It's be the same but also different.

At the same time, they also said in the quote that they don't want it to be a spin off. I thought the core of the Mass Effect series was the fact that shepard had a "mass effect", in that his influence changed basically the entire universe. So I'm not exactly sure what Bioware is planning to do

That's not what mass effect means. The relays and ship engines utilize mass effect fields, which help to bend space. As I recall, Biotic powers also work on mass effect fields.

It's not a metaphor, it's a literal technology they utilize.

From the Mass Effect 1 opening:

In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.

They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it... MASS EFFECT.

Vhalyar

Good, very good. I like the Mass Effect universe. I want them to explore other things within that universe and not continuously masturbate over a set of characters who's story has been told already.

I hope that whatever they do, its incredibly far removed from what they've already done and able to stand on its own.

But I just know they'll listen to idiot fans and have liara show up or something. :(

God I hope not. That is such a short time space it'll be really limited in what they can do.

Have it be set during the Human/Batarian wars and go forward.
The third game would have a cameo from your Shepard.

EDIT:

Or Parallel to ME 1. You could even do a safe crossover and get to see the aftermath of Shep's death in ME 2. It's only ME 3 that ruins everything.

DataGhost

Again, it's merely that the press and internally they're calling it Mass Effect 4, and that's imply because of a lack of anything to call it except "the new Mass Effect game" which is a little wordy.

It's highly, highly, highly unlikely that when it releases it'll be named Mass Effect 4.

Yea, I did not know that. But they also said they didn't want the game to feel like a spin off in the quote so I'm just wondering how they would go about doing that if the title is changed.

SmartBase

Oh God, please don't be a prequel!

This. A thousand times this.

As far as previous characters are concerned I'm sure the rabid fanbase will get DLC made like last time.

On a different tangent, I hope that the different engine will enable a little more planetary exploration this time around, being "next-gen" and all.

Lautaro

I think this game could have benefited more of a parallel setting like the books instead of being a sequel.

And I don't really dislike their writers but I hope they stop doing the "daddy issues" trope for the new characters.

angrygnat

At the end of ME3, the kid talks about getting another story about THE Shepard. We all know what a Shepard is. What a Shepard does. By wording it that way, they make it seem like they are talking about a person, and events from the very distant past. Speaking about some kind of legend that has been told so many times, the true specifics aren't known. That's kind of what I'm getting here. You're going to get the Mass Effect feel, but Bioware won't have to worry about story continuity or any of that. To think of an entirely new experience is a very exciting prospect. I can't wait! If I had to make one request of the new game it would be this. If the new character is going to be in command of his/her own starship, we need to be more involved in the operation of it. I'd love to see more ship to ship combat. A system where you could land on whatever planet you felt and the game generates some kind of fresh scenario for you. Kind of like Skyrim does. That would be great

Vhalyar

Well actually, I do hope they keep the coop multiplayer (and improve it greatly). The only thing that really redeemed ME3 :3

DataGhost

Howso? I'd argue that by jumping an extra couple hundred years you open up more possibility. More of the galaxy to explore, possibly more races to encounter, probalby a changed political situation, and everything will have been rebuilt. It's be the same but also different.

That feels like it would be too different, not even similar because of how the council is supposed to have the 4 main races as leaders. If they do discover more, I feel like the humans (which was basically what I feel Mass Effect was about, trying to make their position and potential known) would be overshadowed by the newcomers. Don't forget that they have to rebuild almost everything in their current galaxy because in all the endings, the mass relays were destroyed.

Stahp. You got to say goodbye and left on one hell of a high note. It's over.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

"Mass Effect" is the term used in the universe to describe the technology of the relays, left behind by the Reapers (or, as far as most are/were concerned, the Protheans), among other discovered technology, and effects the physics and properties of mass. It's unrelated to Shepard.

It's fantastic that they're distancing themselves from the original trilogy, it's the only way for the franchise to grow. The universe isn't an apartment complex, so it's acceptable that the new characters will not interact with the old crew.

I'm anxious to start a new adventure with a new character and a new crew. I was attached to my crew, but I'm quite satisfied with how things ended for them.

I really want this to be set in the far future, way after Mass Effect 3. I also hope they don't go with a story that has the entire universe at risk, they need to shrink the scope a bit. Once the stakes are raised to their highest possible point, the only real option is to tone it down a bit.

scarybore

Glad they want a blank slate for characters, never liked it when series keep inserting old characters as cameos, it's cheap and makes the series universe feel small and in a game about travelling the galaxy, that's the last thing you should want.

I am still concerned about what time frame the new game will take place in, far future would be the ideal but that might be the harder option for Bioware since Hudson/Walters seemingly tried to kill off what everyone liked of the universe at the end of ME3.

But yes, I can't imagine ending importing being anything less of a disaster. Either pick a canon, make a new one, or set it so far in the future that ending choice is made irrelevant.

Agreed, save importation eventually becomes too unmanageable to for a developer to implement competently. At some point, you have to start from a new beginning and there's no better time than now.

SO, I never replayed ME3 after launch and never paid much attention to the new ending.

Are we past the statute of limitations on spoilers?

So the mass relays are now NOT destroyed? See, I was going off the assumption that they were all destroyed, wiping out pretty much all life in local systems... making sequels weird/pointless.

That changes things, I guess.

DataGhost

"Mass Effect" is the term used in the universe to describe the technology of the relays, left behind by the Reapers (or, as far as most are/were concerned, the Protheans), among other discovered technology, and effects the physics and properties of mass. It's unrelated to Shepard.

Ahhh alrite. But then, the problem is that they really can't make a sequel because the technology of the Reapers can be harvested as they supposed to be the most advanced beings. At the same time, a parallel during Sheperd's time would seem too much of a spin off. I also feel the same for a prequel.

It should start at least enough time into the future that all/most of the characters from previous titles are either old or dead.

It would kind of suck if your choice (red, blue, green) doesn't play into it but that would be ridiculous to ask as the stories would need to change too drastically for that.

Cameos would be welcome as always but I'd leave them at that except maybe those who are forever young and capable like Liara.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, could you imagine a Bad Company style Mass Effect crew?

You play as a drugged up Salarian who's got nothing to lose because he's gonna die soon anyways. You roll with a Batarian, Vorcha, and Yahg party. And you got an Elcor providing reconnaissance.

The name is based off the technology to basically travel faster than light. IIRC it has something to do with the ability to reduce an object/area of all mass.

SO, I never replayed ME3 after launch and never paid much attention to the new ending.

Are we past the statute of limitations on spoilers?

So the mass relays are now NOT destroyed? See, I was going off the assumption that they were all destroyed, wiping out pretty much all life in local systems... making sequels weird/pointless.

That changes things, I guess.

Nah, turns out you can easily repair them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, they're not calling it Mass Effect 4. They've gone out of their way to say they don't see it as Mass Effect 4, for the reasons that it implies a direct continuation of the Shepard trilogy. It can be set pre, during, or post trilogy, but whatever it is it will be a new narrative.

Yeah I'm just using the term because it makes it the most obvious what title they're referring to as opposed to say some mobile spin-off as the next game.

Top Bottom