• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

mosdl

Is it 100% confirmed that we can no longer pick targets and issue commands during pause?

That would be the second of my favorite Mass Effect combat wrinkles to be removed (time dilation stuff being the other).

What a buzzkill for the combat. To hell with parity for the horde mode combat. I couldn't care less about that.

In the video towards the end the companions have assigned targets, but how you do that is not shown. As for issuing commands, unknown.

Found some:

Grainne Gillespie ‏@pkbitchgirl
The presets in the character creators have face models too (i.e. they're based on real people)

Boris Khlebnikov ‏@gentleyahg
All of posible presets? The new system exclude the creation of ugly appearance?

Ian S. Frazier ‏@tibermoon
Ha! Don't worry, you can make yourself look seriously funky if you want to.

Tyrell Hamilton ‏@tjh8214
do the alternative preset Ryders have face models as well or are they just randomly generated from chargen?

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
Every single one is based on a scan of a real person, then tweaked. You can customize 'em, though, of course. More details later.
I had not heard this before. In fact, I've never heard of any game doing this.

Pretty cool :)

Fiend

Infiltrator is phenomenal in ME3. Skill perks reduce heavy sniper weight, weapon mods dilate time, damage stacks are insane. I ran the entire game on insanity with only a black window and pistol, used the former 90% of the time, and was a killing machine.

Yeah, I did the same. It was a blast and my favorite way to play the game.

amoebae

In the video towards the end the companions have assigned targets, but how you do that is not shown. As for issuing commands, unknown.

From what I understand, there will be some kind of tactics system a la Dragon Age, whereby you can set up Drack, say, to detonate a specific attack by Cora whenever she uses it, for example, but that's going to be an 'if/and/or/then' system (under the hood, at least) rather than it being you as commander telling them to do that in the heat of battle when reacting to the enemy.

The real-time squad commands seem to be limited to 'attack this target' or 'move to cover' or 'move to point' - all of which were handled by the d-pad (or keyboard) in previous games.

Someone noted that in the recent footage, at one point the enemy had icons over its head indicating the squad had been commanded to attack it, and the icons showed what they were going to be attacking with. These icons weren't present when the squad were attacking in other bits of the same video. So it may be that when you direct your squad to target x and you have previously set up perferred tactics, these icons will show up if those tactics are being used. Those icons are a good idea, giving you a chance to react to what comes next. But it seems if this is the case, rather than you being the commander issuing orders to your squad, you'll be the follower, reacting to what your squad do off their own back.

I'll try to find the tweet that confirmed no tactical pause (other than the weapon wheel) - and I'll post it when I do.

Edit: Here -

VVHEtJl.png

amoebae

Someone was asking if you can customise the default Ryders I think - not sure if it's been answered, but according to Shinobi, you can't. However, other presets are based on face scans, are very good to begin with, and they can all be customised.

yjdi6bK.png

Is it 100% confirmed that we can no longer pick targets and issue commands during pause?

That would be the second of my favorite Mass Effect combat wrinkles to be removed (time dilation stuff being the other).

What a buzzkill for the combat. To hell with parity for the horde mode combat. I couldn't care less about that.

Indeed. If this is true (it does appear to be) it would kill a ton of my hype for this game.

Well there we go, that tweet above confirms it. Incredibly disappointing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You can literally see Cora and Liam assigned to focus on the mech in the combat video. How it'll work is still unknown though.

It seems like basically any and all time slow down has gone outside of a pause. You just do anything in real time, and they probably have some heavy assistance mechanics for targeting. Basically a lot like ME3 multi rather than mass effect 3 singleplayer. Which I guess could have partly been expected since these guys were in charge of the multi rather than the single player.

MadYarpen

We're able to customize our character, right? Facial features included?

Just wondering why people seem to care what the main protag looks like in promo shots or videos, when we're able to alter it to our liking.

I honestly haven't kept up with this game at all, so apologies for my ignorance.

Personally I don't like to play with face editor, and usually I use default look, so I'd prefer it to be good;)

You can literally see Cora and Liam assigned to focus on the mech in the combat video. How it'll work is still unknown though.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. We'll be able to tell our squadmates to target a specific enemy, but it might just be in a different way from the original trilogy.

Welp, there are other presets in the character creation, so even if you don't like the default Ryders, chances are one of them will look good to you.

Also according to the devs it seems like it's going to be really easy this time to share created Ryders with other people so they can use them as well.

Firebrand

Any mentions of pausing / tactical options? Looking at the HUD it looks like there's minimal squad control like ME2/3 :/
edit: doh, discussed on this very page, hah.

Any mentions of pausing / tactical options? Looking at the HUD it looks like there's minimal squad control like ME2/3 :/

Literally check a few posts above you.

For me that's really not that big of a nitpick, I found it incredibly distracting at times, I get that it's in essence and the priority should be the RPG elements of it, but micromanaging in the middle of combat isn't my style, I'd rather be able to make decisions on the go with a more dynamic system that allows me to do that. .

amoebae

Yep, but at the moment it looks like it'll be along the lines of how you could in previous games tell your squad to focus on target x in real time via the d-pad (or key on kb), rather than stopping and issuing a specific power-based command.

amoebae

Literally check a few posts above you.

For me that's really not that big of a nitpick, I found it incredibly distracting at times, I get that it's in essence and the priority should be the RPG elements of it, but micromanaging in the middle of combat isn't my style, I'd rather be able to make decisions on the go with a more dynamic system that allows me to do that. .

I think some people are upset by its removal because it was entirely optional anyway. The system was designed originally to accommodate both play styles - those who wanted to pause and command their squad tactically, and those who wanted to just run and gun and do it all in real time ignoring the squad to a large degree.

The presence of the tactical pause-squad commands system didn't stop anyone from not using it if they didn't want to, so it's a strange argument to make.

I think some people are upset by its removal because it was entirely optional anyway. The system was designed originally to accommodate both play styles - those who wanted to pause and command their squad tactically, and those who wanted to just run and gun and do it all in real time ignoring the squad to a large degree.

The presence of the tactical pause-squad commands system didn't stop anyone from not using it if they didn't want to, so it's a strange argument to make.

But I didn't make any argument against it? I simply said that if they're taking that out for players that do use it, there might be implementing a more practical way to manage the squad but maintaining that degree of control over the AIs.

Yep, but at the moment it looks like it'll be along the lines of how you could in previous games tell your squad to focus on target x in real time via the d-pad (or key on kb), rather than stopping and issuing a specific power-based command.

This makes it seem like control over biotic detonations, etc. might be being taken out of the player's hands to an extent and are more about chance depending on what the AI of your squadmate decides to do at any given time. For instance, I liked it in ME2 where I could lift someone, pause the game, and tell Samara to Throw them into a wall.

Of course I don't know exactly how it works in MEA. Just wondering how it might work, we'll find out Friday. Hopefully I'm misunderstanding and we somehow have control over what power a squadmate uses at certain moments. Anyone have any idea how things could work in real time with having control over team executed detonations?

amoebae

But I didn't make any argument against it? I simply said that if they're taking that out for players that do use it, there might be implementing a more practical way to manage the squad but maintaining that degree of control over the AIs.

My apologies. I didn't read your original reply in that way.

amoebae

This makes it seem like control over biotic detonations, etc. might be being taken out of the player's hands to an extent and are more about chance depending on what the AI of your squadmate decides to do at any given time. For instance, I liked it in ME2 where I could lift someone, pause the game, and tell Samara to Throw them into a wall.

Of course I don't know exactly how it works in MEA. Just wondering how it might work, we'll find out Friday. Hopefully I'm misunderstanding and we somehow have control over what power a squadmate uses at certain moments. Anyone have any idea how things could work in real time with having control over team executed detonations?

This is my understanding of the implications as well. But like you, I'm eager to see what they have done with squad commands because there might be a really good system to compensate for its loss that still makes you feel like the commander of a squad who has control over her team.

I didn't realize how close they were until last night! It's gonna be difficult to juggle the two for sure.
same here.

Anyways, I love how fast the combat looks.
i'm definitely getting more and more excited for the game as we get closer to it which is annoying me because i told myself i'll just buy mass effect andromeda later and not at launch xD
I will find a way to manage... somehow... but I can't let either of those two slip by at launch.
i definitely won't p5 slip passed me at launch, i got the collector's edition preordered

and i would've preordered the collector's edition or some special edition of mass effect 4 if it didn't do that stupid bullshit with its collector's edition, i'll be fine with the regular

prag16

Banned
When's the next video?

Presumably noon eastern time this Friday. Additionally, there was a preview event last week in which press had a few hours with the game. Embargo on coverage from that is Thursday at some point.

Indeed. If this is true (it does appear to be) it would kill a ton of my hype for this game.

Well there we go, that tweet above confirms it. Incredibly disappointing.

Yeah, I'm still super hyped, and in day one. But this does put a bit of a damper on things for me. Surveying the area, picking targets, assigning powers, etc. Loved that aspect. Yeah, the "pre-aiming" could be sorta cheap sometimes but meh.

Yeah, I'm still super hyped, and in day one. But this does put a bit of a damper on things for me. Surveying the area, picking targets, assigning powers, etc. Loved that aspect. Yeah, the "pre-aiming" could be sorta cheap sometimes but meh.

Yea same here. Not saying I'm not getting it day one or not willing to give it a chance. Hype is still high :D Just really disappointed for the first time with confirmed news about MEA.

Hopeful that the next combat vid will make me feel like I'll still really enjoy the combat without pausing/surveying area/issuing out commands. It's always been the combat that had me playing dozens of different ME2 and ME3 playthroughs.

Respect

I guess if there is one aspect that is a bit of a bummer that I've learned is you only have 3 active skills at a time.

I believe I read that the combat was handled by the team that did the ME 3 multiplayer. This makes sense given the use of the "blink" evasion and jet packs we saw in the trailer...and they were really nice additions in multiplayer that didn't exist in story mode.

Sai

I guess if there is one aspect that is a bit of a bummer that I've learned is you only have 3 active skills at a time.
Apparently, there's a way around this. Likely has something to do with the profiles you can swap between with the radial menu.

Respect

Apparently, there's a way around this. Likely has something to do with the profiles you can swap between with the radial menu.

If you can use the radial menu in combat to switch profiles I can live with that. Might be a little awkward at first, but will become fairly quick with time. If they can be only switched out of combat, that would be a bit of downer, we will see soon.

If you can use the radial menu in combat to switch profiles I can live with that. Might be a little awkward at first, but will become fairly quick with time. If they can be only switched out of combat, that would be a bit of downer, we will see soon.

Basically, the way it seems to work is, you can make 4 "Favorite" loadouts. Each of these loadouts will have 3 skills of your choosing. You can change between these 4 favorites during combat, essentially giving you 12 skills to use in combat.

I think profiles are different. I vaguely remember seeing that those can only be changed on the ship or at those "drop ship" locations (I forget what they're called :p)

GavinUK86

Maybe I missed it, but have we got the names of the real life people who the default male and female Ryder faces are based off?

Basically, the way it seems to work is, you can make 4 "Favorite" loadouts. Each of these loadouts will have 3 skills of your choosing. You can change between these 4 favorites during combat, essentially giving you 12 skills to use in combat.

Has a dev confirmed whether or not we have to pause to change favorites? Being able to cycle through them without pausing obviously would be ideal. Would be pretty surprised if we have to pause to change favorite loadout especially considering they're taking away tactical pause. Would seem counter intuitive to the pace they seem to be trying to make the player play with.

Has a dev confirmed whether or not we have to pause to change favorites? Being able to cycle through them without pausing obviously would be ideal. Would be pretty surprised if we have to pause to change favorite loadout especially considering they're taking away tactical pause. Would seem counter intuitive to the pace they seem to be trying to make the player play with.

That I'm not sure about. I don't remember seeing any devs talking about whether or not pausing is required to change between favorite loadouts. We'll probably see in one of the upcoming gameplay videos.

Top Bottom