• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
B2cZErY.png

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/833874442275151872

Edit: turned into husk

Thank goodness. I expect elements of the UI will still be geared towards console but its good they haven't forgotten aboot us pc folk!

Van Bur3n

Well, with no global cooldowns anymore, you can do this by yourself, or perhaps squadmates will close combos automatically like they do in Inquisition.

I certainly prefer being able to command my squad's powers, though.

Well, with having to rely on only myself to pull off the combos, that takes away a lot of options for my own powers. I'll have to have most if not all of my selected powers in a loadout be dedicated to pulling off that single combo rather than having just Warp to combo with Liara's Lift and Garrus' Concussion Shot and the rest of my powers used for other situations or even other combos.

I surely hope I can rely on my squadmates to use their powers when I need them to be used, but this decision is still absolutely mind boggling and makes little sense considering they had a perfectly fine and engaging system in prior games.

Respect

Basically, the way it seems to work is, you can make 4 "Favorite" loadouts. Each of these loadouts will have 3 skills of your choosing. You can change between these 4 favorites during combat, essentially giving you 12 skills to use in combat.

I think profiles are different. I vaguely remember seeing that those can only be changed on the ship or at those "drop ship" locations (I forget what they're called :p)

Then I'm A-Okay with this setup, will take a little getting used to, but will be 2nd nature in little time I'm sure.

Sendero

If we cannot manually fire their individual skills, I'm guessing each squadmate will have an option to tell which one should be given priority/be used more often by the AI.

But who knows. This is a major change that I personally do not agree with, as it dilutes the tactical element of handling a squad. The alternatives I can think of, are to either:

*Have an adaptive/learning AI a-la-Dragon's Dogma (which I very much doubt)
*Have some sort of AI tailoring menu, to setup rules of engagement (which does not fit ME)
*Simply have the AI focus on actively priming/detonating the enemy, based on your current load.

Neither sounds good enough, so I'm even more interested on checking the explanation in the next videos.

Retrofluxed

Regarding not being able to control party members powers, I swear remember reading that we'll have a Dragon Age type of system where you set an if/when function.

I was wrong.

amoebae

Regarding not being able to control party members powers, I swear remember reading that we'll have a Dragon Age type of system where you sent an if/when function.

I speculated we'd have that kind of system. It wouldn't necessarily be a full if/and/or/then list, but rather that's what would be happening behind the scenes. But tbh I'm not so certain now. I think it'll just be down to the AI picking the power it thinks the squad mate should use against x enemy. I think there will have been work done so that squad mates recognise when one of them has used a primer and the other will use a detonator in response, but it's likely to be out of our control even in a tactics menu out of battle.

[I reiterate - pure speculation on my part.]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you're strict on class build variety and limitations being integral to role playing I can see some disappointment in the current system, that being said for those who don't mind the breadth of flexibility and on-the-fly build variety could lead to some crazy cool swaps.

Favourites appear to be a combination of the profiles system and powers, so you could in theory equip yourself with a shotgun and a sniper rifle and, if you're late game with a lot of points allocated to powers, have yourself both a biotic heavy and tech exclusive build, relatively profiled as vanguard and engineer, starting encounters as a range based engineer using heavy tech to debuff and weaken opponents from a afar while chipping away with a sniper at enemies who get too close, then instantly swap to a shotgun buffed vanguard who can blast in close quarters on those debuffed enemies and biotic them to hell.

I'm not too disappointed with reduced control of party members. Maybe it's just the sheer quantity of Me3 multiplayer I did, but not being able to pause in that or dictate orders to other players made you definitely rely more on what you were doing at any given time. Given the game looks to be moving even further into action-y firefights, I think trying to manage squadmates might just be cumbersome.

That's personal taste though. I can imagine how some people might be more disappointed with that.

MartyStu

If you're strict on class build variety and limitations being integral to role playing I can see some disappointment in the current system, that being said for those who don't mind the breadth of flexibility and on-the-fly build variety could lead to some crazy cool swaps.

Favourites appear to be a combination of the profiles system and powers, so you could in theory equip yourself with a shotgun and a sniper rifle and, if you're late game with a lot of points allocated to powers, have yourself both a biotic heavy and tech exclusive build, relatively profiled as vanguard and engineer, starting encounters as a range based engineer using heavy tech to debuff and weaken opponents from a afar while chipping away with a sniper at enemies who get too close, then instantly swap to a shotgun buffed vanguard who can blast in close quarters on those debuffed enemies and biotic them to hell.

To be entirely honest, Bioware has not really been keen on encouraging roleplay through anything but dialogue choices, so at this point, it is sort of a relief that they are dropping pretenses.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
If you can swap sets of skills on the fly, why require the swapping at all? Just give access to all 12 at once.

I want my command bar on PC.

I'm guessing there's a cooldown if you swap profiles so you don't become all knowing OP god-tier too easily.

I'm sure someone could probably mod-in a hotbar of all the abilities...but that sounds game-breaking and awful to me honestly....I wanna give the system a chance first before fiddling with it.

Thank the lord, PC version with elite controller it will then be.

That is the way I'm playing exclusively too - it's going to be gloriously fun! MP isn't competitive either, so hopefully won't catch too much hate using controller in there too (as long as aim assist works across both SP and MP, otherwise MP will be nigh on unplayable as a controller user in that space)....in fact, I'm going to tweet Ian now re: that, it's important IMO.

That is the way I'm playing exclusively too - it's going to be gloriously fun! MP isn't competitive either, so hopefully won't catch too much hate using controller in there too (as long as aim assist works across both SP and MP, otherwise MP will be nigh on unplayable as a controller user in that space)....in fact, I'm going to tweet Ian now re: that, it's important IMO.
I've never gotten shit for using an elite controller in Halo 5. I think most people use them though.

Slaythe

Does Andromeda have multiplayer too ?

Is it like ME3 or some coop story/ campaign stuff too ?

My PC would run the game far better, but PC being Origin only is usually bad for a game longevity :/ .

Xando

Does Andromeda have multiplayer too ?

Is it like ME3 or some coop story/ campaign stuff too ?

My PC would run the game far better, but PC being Origin only is usually bad for a game longevity :/ .

Yes it has multiplayer and is tied into the single player (They said it's not influencing the single player story though. You probably get better gear or something).

Sai

There's been no word on Sam Hulick returning for Andromeda. While the main theme was revealed to a select few last December, I think, I still haven't heard any definite word on who's composing Andromeda's soundtrack.

I'm kind of a fan of Sam Hulick, so I'd be happy if he came back at least as a guest composer.

Budget Zimmer.
:[

[EDIT] - Wait, the wikipedia page says John Paesano is composing.

Jarmel

Banned
There's been no word on Sam Hulick returning for Andromeda. While the main theme was revealed to a select few last December, I think, I still haven't heard any definite word on who's composing Andromeda's soundtrack.

I'm kind of a fan of Sam Hulick, so I'd be happy if he came back at least as a guest composer.

:[

[EDIT] - Wait, the wikipedia page says John Paesano is composing.

Wait what? How the hell is Hulick not back?

Ralemont

not me
Well, with having to rely on only myself to pull off the combos, that takes away a lot of options for my own powers.

Yeah but so did having a global cooldown. Not defending this decision so much as trying to figure out how much it'll actually hinder power use.

As for justification, I guess we'll have to see the control scheme. Maybe they have something else on the dpad now.

Tovarisc

You can command your squadmates where to go and who to attack, but not their powers.

Well that is clear leap backwards for Mass Effect. It was huge part of combat in ME that you were able to micromanage what skills to use, when and to what. Is there any way to manage their skill usage or are we 100% at mercy of AI's quality which was far less than stellar in original trilogy?

Buckle

I'm not holding high expectations that it will but I really hope they add more modes to multiplayer.

Like actual stages to progress through like in single player but with more randomized bits throughout.

Mini story campaigns would be nice.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah but so did having a global cooldown. Not defending this decision so much as trying to figure out how much it'll actually hinder power use.

As for justification, I guess we'll have to see the control scheme. Maybe they have something else on the dpad now.

The larger issue is that (even with hotkey swapping for power usage on PC) you're still limited to 3 powers at a time, especially in consoles.

That's directly taking out at LEAST two on-command powers for tactical control (ME2/3 - I think the latter, been a while), if not their whole arsenal (ME1)

Yeah, now Ryder can do it all, sure.....but then (on some level, at least) what's the point of even having a squad, or being squad leader, if you can't actively give commands?

Tovarisc

Can you jump in this game?

uhhh could you jump in the original trilogy?

This game is pretty much soft reboot of Mass Effect IP. There will be references, but characters, story and setting all are 100% new so you can jump in without playing original.

If you want play something from original trilogy imo jump into ME2 and consider ME3. ME2 is currently free on Origin.

VpomRurd

This game is pretty much soft reboot of Mass Effect IP. There will be references, but characters, story and setting all are 100% new so you can jump in without playing original.

If you want play something from original trilogy imo jump into ME2 and consider ME3. ME2 is currently free on Origin.

Lol I think he means about the action of jumping.

To answer, first trilogy; no. This game; yes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Yes you can jump or at least hop with your jetpack.

No you couldn't jump in previous games. At best, ME3 had some gaps you would be prompted to jump over. But they were scripted.

A-V-B

The larger issue is that even with hotkey swapping for power usage, you're still limited to 3 powers at a time, especially in consoles.

That's directly taking out at LEAST two on-command powers for tactical control (ME2/3 - I think the latter, been a while), if not their whole arsenal (ME1)

Yeah, now Ryder can do it all, sure.....but then (on some level, at least) what's the point of even having a squad, or being squad leader, if you can't actively give commands?

Perhaps a mistake being made here of keeping companions around for tone in cutscenes, but making them more irrelevant in moment-to-moment gameplay. Kinda like how... some developers try to replace total interaction with a hybrid of gameplay and QTEs. It's almost like there's influence from Telltale games. Not like it'll be heavy influence or anything, the companions will still be shooting baddies, but overall less party-oriented.

Bucking this trend is why games from Fumito Ueda are so refreshing to me, by the way.

The design change regarding powers will need to be very clearly demonstrated and good reasoning provided, I'm not impressed at all by that. Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Slaythe

Hummm...

So it's either gonna be 1080p maxed out 60 fps on PC, or 4K downsampled 30 FPS on ps4pro, for me.

I trust you guys that the game's longevity is fine on PC too.

The only problem is that I don't have origins at all and I would have to install it for ME only.

Debating. I might have to wait for reviews. In case the ps4 version is broken that'd be an easy choice.

Price is another big pro for the PC version because after yakuza, nioh, nier, KH "4", and horizon, i'm ded. Not to mention Persona 5.

Top Bottom