• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The only problem is that I don't have origins at all and I would have to install it for ME only.
Origin is a very competent platform, in 2017.

You can get a free copy of Mass Effect 2 right now, as well. You should install it just for that.

Slaythe

Origin is a very competent platform, in 2017.

You can get a free copy of Mass Effect 2 right now, as well. You should install it just for that.

tumblr_inline_nq7oeeJ5T21qf8603_500.gif

amoebae

I'm guessing we won't get Cora's hair as a choice in the cc, but I'd be lying if that shaved side with its little bit of hair at the top isn't giving me nightmare flashbacks of DAI's hair choices.

(I do otherwise like her hair plenty.)

amazing, much better than I thought it would turn out

Slaythe

Yes, it was discussed in this very thread I believe.

Hum alright, I'll buy this game blind I guess. It might sound like a silly requirement but you have no idea how much it annoyed me in ME 3.

I got burnt hard by DA:I so that's the last time I give Bioware a chance.

Just have to decide PC or PS4 now =) . More towards PC at the moment.

I just hope my PC is up to par to play this decently well.

My aging GTX 660ti still plays most games to my satisfaction, but this will probably push it harder than anything I've played in a long time. Dragon Age Inquisition ran pretty well after I bumped some of the settings down, so I'm hoping ME:A will work similarly well.

I just hope my PC is up to par to play this decently well.

My aging GTX 660ti still plays most games to my satisfaction, but this will probably push it harder than anything I've played in a long time. Dragon Age Inquisition ran pretty well after I bumped some of the settings down, so I'm hoping ME:A will work similarly well.

It depends on what framerates you're aiming for. I bet it'll be fine at 30fps cap.

It's still on the same engine as DA Inquisition anyway.

Takuan

Looks like a straight-up action title now, but I like what they showed in the trailer. Hoping the dialogue and storyline are up to snuff.

My Ryder will have the pick of the ladies just like Shepard did....

hideos.jpg

I'm personally looking forward to Adventures of UglyRyder.

This game is pretty much soft reboot of Mass Effect IP. There will be references, but characters, story and setting all are 100% new so you can jump in without playing original.

If you want play something from original trilogy imo jump into ME2 and consider ME3. ME2 is currently free on Origin.

Yeah, as someone who's beat ME1, started n' stopped ME2 numerous times and has never played 3, I'm just jumping straight ahead to this.
I have no desire anymore to revisit the original trilogy.... unless they do a legit remaster someday.

My Ryder will have the pick of the ladies just like Shepard did....

maxresdefault.jpg

mybrand.exe appears to be working as intended

You can command your squadmates where to go and who to attack, but not their powers.

I can see why other people won't like this, but I'm cool with this. Makes combat more strictly 3rd-person shooter and takes out one more layer of RPG from the series, but I think it's the direction the series should go anyway for combat interaction.

It was until the recent UI revamp, now it's a slow piece of shit. I stuck up for it for years but they had to go and ruin it.

Can you still run game .exe's without the need for Origin? Because that's what made it perfectly acceptable for me, the fact that after you got the games installed you didn't need to even open Origin to access them.

Denzar

Really, really dislike this design. Looks like the station wagon driving soccer mom picking up her bratty kids at school while trying to stay hip, fashionable and relevant.

Hope her personality makes up for it! Disliked Garrus' design at first too, but he's one of my favourites now.

Mifec

Really, really dislike this design. Looks like the station wagon driving soccer mom picking up her bratty kids at school while trying to stay hip, fashionable and relevant.

Hope her personality makes up for it! Disliked Garrus' design at first too, but he's one of my favourites now.

I hate the hair but that's about it. She's fine otherwise for me personally.

hold on a second, they actively blocked it? I hadn't heard about that o_O

whywhywhy.gif
IIRC, they didn't think anyone wanted to play the PC version with the console UI and controller instead of mouse and keyboard at the time. That's actually been a recent major shift in PC gamer habits.

haikira

What's the deal with carrying over save files from previous games?

I'm seeing conflicting things when I search online.

If there is carrying over of save files, will there be a way to do it from the PS3 to PS4? If there is, i'm tempted to grab the trilogy collection, and go through another time before Andromeda.

If there is carrying over of save files, will there be a way to do it from the PS3 to PS4? If there is, i'm tempted to grab the trilogy collection, and go through another time before Andromeda.
No carrying over of saves.

jediyoshi

hold on a second, they actively blocked it? I hadn't heard about that o_O

whywhywhy.gif

It was never there. There were fragments of controller related code like UI that's a hold over from the console versions, but it's not the case that it was ever implemented and then stripped after release or something.

There wouldn't be a point, it takes place in another galaxy 600 years later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not being able to delegate power commands to squadmates is pretty damn disappointing. It's a big shift from a lot of the attraction to picking your team. I guess they feel that with a greater spectrum of character builds available, and a ton of points, you can fill the gaps yourself. But still, it's not the same, and won't be especially early game. Delegating commands to your squad to fill gaps you can't was so satisfying in the trilogy; powers and abilities stacking on top of your own. The AI better be really up to scratch.

BioWare hasn't said anything about save file transfers, and is very much using Andromeda as a clean break for the series so even if you could transfer the significance would be exceedingly trivial.

Peroroncino

Don't like that jumping and hovering mechanics, feels like playing 3rd person Call of Duty game...

Glad tho for the face sharing, default male and female Ryder [ugh, not a fan of the name] look really bad, so by the time I buy it (better games for me in march) I hope there already will be a broad selection.

WHAT?!!
Fucking hell...... That's disappointing to read.

Fuck... I loved doing combos with my teammates, order somebody to use that 'levitate' or 'black hole' [don't remember exactly what they were called] and then hit them hard with a concussive grenade or some push.

Zakalwe

Banned
Don't like that jumping and hovering mechanics, feels like playing 3rd person Call of Duty game...

I doubt it will feel anything like CoD when we actually play it. ME combat has a very distinct feel to it, and this seems like an evolution of what we had in 3.

Combat in 3 was superb, and this looks like 3++.

Although the lack of teammate power use is a concern... power combos are still in? I wonder how they'll work in SP.

Super curious what this week's video will be. Hopefully it'll be the one discussion squad mechanics, especially with the reveal that there won't be direct control of squadmates any longer, it'll be interesting to see what they've got in mind as a replacement.

So we can romance Claire Underwood. Great

She looks ~25 years younger than Claire Underwood

ironcreed

Banned

She actually kind of reminds me of Pink.

1001-pink-stripes.jpg

Works for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Although the lack of teammate power use is a concern... power combos are still in? I wonder how they'll work in SP.

Power/biotic combos are still in.

Top Bottom