• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - E3 Info Dump

nS3IVh8.gif

Nice that they're finally evolving

This is amazing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fixed.

My Andromedean Empire wont be built on dust alone.
I explored every planet in ME1 even when they didn't have resources. Just driving around on weird worlds in the Mako was fun.

It's great that facial animations will be better, but the animations for the entire body need to be better. Bioware can't get away with their shitty animations anymore.

Yea I was wondering this too, even if it was done before the war he galaxy at the time refused to believe that the reapers existed and for something at this scale to not even get a mention to Shepherd while he was trying to get everyone to believe in the reapers?

The only thing that won't cause some retcon to happen is if the arks were sent after the war but even then, why would they leave when the war was over?

Why wouldn't Arks be sent after the Reaper War was over? I could easily imagine the Catalyst (or w/e the space ball ship was called in me3, i forget exactly) being used as a basis for a Council-funded exploration force into a new galaxy that would be a one way trip due to how long it takes. Although I am probably reading WAYYY too much into this but since the Reapers ended up wanting to harvest civilizations into Reaper shells, while storing their entire history and genetic information etc...is it poetic/ironic etc that a collective summation of the Milky Way Galaxy is kept in stasis for centuries in a metal shell..

tldr: reapers win(?)

anyhoo the new info sounds really good for the most part. i think people complaining about human only MC set thjemselves up for disappointment. considering how BioWare at least want your choices to be reflected it'd require an insane amount of work, dialogue writing and otherwise, to reflect you being a human or a salarian or a turian etc and every time they introduce a new race people would just want them to be included. Yahg MC for ME5 please.

dr_rus

I don't really know if it does but you are just forgetting that they are all using the same engine and the fact that they mention Battlefront as well as Dragon Age Inquisition (Which doesn't even look crap by today's standard either.)

I'm not forgetting anything, I'm just saying that this phrasing makes no sense. Unless they are talking about minimum h/w requirements in which case it kinda does but still, here's a game on FB3 released not long ago:

And here's the first game on FB3:

The requirements are obviously a bit different.

So I'm pretty sure that that statement on MEA having the same h/w requirements as DAI won't actually be true.

Melchiah

Everything sounds good, but this...

-The multiplayer will be similar to ME3's but with more freedom, dynamic gameplay and 'chaos'

...as it sounds like it'll have more open areas to roam, like DAI's multiplayer, and that's not what ME3 MP was about.

-The order in which you do quests/talk to people may also influence opinion of you and humanity

I also don't like the idea, that I may be screwing up the first and only playthrough (inadvertently locking myself out of sidequests and characters, or possible outcomes to the story) by doing quests in the "wrong" order.

diaspora

-We will be able to choose male/female, but they want to go a little bit further with this. More details to come soon
-The female Ryder isn't exactly the default face. There is a bit of a twist this time around but they can't say more yet
Calling it now: the N7 in the earlier trailer is a Ryder sibling. You choose female, the N7 is a brother. If you choose male, the N7 is a sister.

I also don't like the idea, that I may be screwing up the first and only playthrough (inadvertently locking myself out of sidequests and characters, or possible outcomes to the story) by doing quests in the "wrong" order.

That's a good thing! It increases replay value and makes everyone's experience tailored to them.

ME3's "all players experience all content" approach led to stuff like the rachni mission where your previous choices were totally disregarded.

OH MY GOD FUCKING MASS EFFECT IS BACK! I'm sorry I'm just so excited. I'll have to choose between FemRyder and ZacRyder. Also cannot wait to see what they do with the multiplayer. I loved it in ME3.

Everything sounds good, but this...

...as it sounds like it'll have more open areas to roam, like DAI's multiplayer, and that's not what ME3 MP was about.

1) I don't necessarily agree with that interpretation. I think it's probably a given that the MP maps will be larger but I think it's more about providing dynamic elements within that, probably based off some of the ME3 MP DLC that introduced these timed mechanics.... I could be wrong ofc, just that's what I took from it.

2) Eh, some people really dislike ever being locked out of anything on a single playthrough but I don't really mind (but i tend to replay a fair few of the games I own so maybe thats why it doesn't bother me). Regardless I think it's a pretty cool way to reflect the way you influence the world, I mean imagine if Alien Race A is in trouble but so is B, and you save one first, influencing the other's perception of you as valuing A over B and vice versa. It'd also make no sense if A and B were at war, you help A destroy B but can still do sidequests or w/e for B.

Melchiah

That's a good thing! It increases replay value and makes everyone's experience tailored to them.

ME3's "all players experience all content" approach led to stuff like the rachni mission where your previous choices were totally disregarded.

1) I don't necessarily agree with that interpretation. I think it's probably a given that the MP maps will be larger but I think it's more about providing dynamic elements within that, probably based off some of the ME3 MP DLC that introduced these timed mechanics.... I could be wrong ofc, just that's what I took from it.

2) Eh, some people really dislike ever being locked out of anything on a single playthrough but I don't really mind (but i tend to replay a fair few of the games I own so maybe thats why it doesn't bother me). Regardless I think it's a pretty cool way to reflect the way you influence the world, I mean imagine if Alien Race A is in trouble but so is B, and you save one first, influencing the other's perception of you as valuing A over B and vice versa. It'd also make no sense if A and B were at war, you help A destroy B but can still do sidequests or w/e for B.

I'll have to play it by following a guide, as I don't want to miss characters/quests by rolling the dice with the order of doing things. I don't have time or interest to replay a game that's as long as ME1-3 were, or perhaps even as long as DAI. I'd rather play it without consulting Fextralife/Wikia, so hopefully there'll be some indications on what quests/conversations to take first, but I'm not counting on it.

As for the multiplayer, ever since DAI's MP I've suspected that's the way this one might be going as well. Considering this gen is pretty much all about open areas, unfortunately.

I'll have to play it by following a guide, as I don't want to miss characters/quests by rolling the dice with the order of doing things. I don't have time or interest to replay a game that's as long as ME1-3 were, or perhaps even as long as DAI. I'd rather play it without consulting Fextralife/Wikia, so hopefully there'll be some indications on what quests/conversations to take first, but I'm not counting on it.

As for the multiplayer, ever since DAI's MP I've suspected that's the way this one might be going as well. Considering this gen is pretty much all about open areas, unfortunately.

I can understand that. I don't mind replaying a lot of games but it's not like I always have the time. Didn't play DAI's MP so can't really comment on that.

DigtialT

Please, please, PLEASE, let me romance a krogan this time as FemRyder. Ya'll motherfuckers deprived me of Wrex, don't do me like this again EA.

I don't know... modern BioWare rarely seems to make good on their marketing hype talk. And so much of the paraphrased info in the OP seems so emblematic of everything modern BioWare is trying to push in terms of trying to have everything both ways- "Its a personal story, but still grand in scope! The dialogue will be familiar, yet new! There is continuity yet its all new!"

The game might end up being fine but especially in light of that survey I really can't shake the feeling that this game will be a lot like Inquisition- it'll likely look fantastic but will be bloated as hell with all of the "exploration" bits.

That's fair, everyone has fun with games in a different way. To me, in Mass Effect it's not about whether content is "missable" like in the way you'd play a Tales game with sidequest guide in hand, it's about whether the content reflects the player's choices. The fact that you can't see both Ashley's content and Kaidan's content in the same series playthrough is a victory of choice. The fact that you can elect to eliminate rachni in ME1, and then ME3 still has you play a rachni-centric mission anyway, is a failure. I want more of the former, even though yes, it means that you can't see or do everything in a single playthrough.

Full disclosure, I've played each ME game like 8 or 9 times, so... :)

Melchiah

I can understand that. I don't mind replaying a lot of games but it's not like I always have the time. Didn't play DAI's MP so can't really comment on that.

I rarily replay games. The only exceptions have been shorter games like TLOU, Journey, and Bloodborne. Most of them have been remasters, where the upgraded visuals/performance have been enough reason to relive the experience. I don't see that happening with this game due to its length and open world, eventhough it's one of my favorite series.

You didn't miss anything. DAI's multiplayer lacked everything that made ME3's MP fun. The bigger areas made the playing sessions more like running marathons, and the loot system was worse as well.

Melchiah

That's fair, everyone has fun with games in a different way. To me, in Mass Effect it's not about whether content is "missable" like in the way you'd play a Tales game with sidequest guide in hand, it's about whether the content reflects the player's choices. The fact that you can't see both Ashley's content and Kaidan's content in the same series playthrough is a victory of choice. The fact that you can elect to eliminate rachni in ME1, and then ME3 still has you play a rachni-centric mission anyway, is a failure. I want more of the former, even though yes, it means that you can't see or do everything in a single playthrough.

Full disclosure, I've played each ME game like 8 or 9 times, so... :)

I don't have a problem with missing one character's story arc when choosing another, like it was with Ashley and Kaidan. I do have a problem with loosing a character, like Miranda in ME3, when I don't proceed in the correct order. The non-missable choices are not the issue for me, but losing or missing something by crossing an invisible threshold is.

Really like what I'm reading in the OP, especially the change of tone from the original trilogy. I really liked ME1 compared to the rest since although there was a lot of action, so much of it was also discovery, learning, or mystery as opposed to action movie.

Really though all those bullet points sound like a welcome improvement, and have me very excited for the game.

EGM1966

I just want them to create a sensible foe/situation for the mechanics vs having 3 pretty small humanoids somehow supposed to end a galaxy wide threat from enormous machines.

A Deus Ex Machina was the only way out but boy did it stink and I want them to deliver a great game without a narrative that dooms the outcome from the start.

Details sound good though and I'm hoping the morality system is much improved and employed.

I liked ME but never felt it got beyond good overall with a broad mix of great to awful elements and with a fresh start I'm hoping this time everything is at a much better level across the board vs being so uneven.

As a diehard Mass Effect fan everything sounds wonderful. The extra emphasis on exploration, characters and world building all sound brilliant. I would like to have seen more but I can understand their desire to wait and only show what's actually polished and in a relatively final state. Wait is painful but I get the feeling it'll all be worth it in the end, hopefully they knock it outta the park this time. Witcher 3 redefined my expectations and standards for what a modern RPG can be this generation so maybe ME:A can do that once again.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Please no evil family member storyline

Evil twin confirmed.

enemy2k

The more I hear about Andromeda the more I get hyped. I feel that x factor that Mass Effect had for me. And I'm feeling that sense of exploration from ME1.

Top Bottom