• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - EA/Origin Access trial coming March 16th - 10 hour trial

Ryzaki009

Naw ME3 is a fantastic game with a sub-par ending.

Between the massive amounts of auto dialogue, the really stupid dialogue like "we fight or we die?" great plan Shep, the stupidity of the some scenes (yeah Shep try to fight a Reaper on foot. Great plan) nope it had plenty of flaws. It's just the whole carried it just fine like 99% of BW games.

cripterion

I'm curious has anyone us d the dual shock 4 on the pc version? If so was it pretty much plug and play or do you have to use some sort of software to make it work?

It doesn't work natively no.

Cora has 2 abilities both with a close combat focus, don't take her with you when you want to take cover and take potshots.

Would be so easily remedied if they'd let me call down her pow... wait! You can't :p

But yeah I get what you're saying. But I don't think I'll be lonesome in finding the AI lacking.
If friendly AI is not up to par, then give me good control of them, Bioware!

ajanke

Good to hear. Are you playing on a 4K tv? Just wondering if it really pops on the Pro
I am. It looks good when on planet and in environments. Typical pop in and weird blurry low res parts. Like when you're choosing what planet to visit in the star guide or whatever it's called. The planets drop in quality when moving. It's weird.

JetsonIsAJet

Neo Member
As a big ME fan, Im very upset with Bioware right now.The amount of unpolished animations
and dem fuckin dead eyes from a triple A studio in 2017 is fuckin mind-blowing.I bet that half of the development time they spent on what positions they should fuck this time.Guess I'll wait for reviews to see how the story and the dialog is throughout the entire game.
Thank God for Persona 5 releasing next month.

Could you even blame them, though, after seeing the fallout from when people discovered the romance options? I think they know their fanbase haha.

emag

As a big ME fan, Im very upset with Bioware right now.The amount of unpolished animations
and dem fuckin dead eyes from a triple A studio in 2017 is fuckin mind-blowing.I bet that half of the development time they spent on what positions they should fuck this time.Guess I'll wait for reviews to see how the story and the dialog is throughout the entire game.
Thank God for Persona 5 releasing next month.

The animation and eyes are the least of Andromeda's problems. They're just easy for observers to mock. Likewise, dialog is weak in the trial, but could very well be much improved later.

The unreliable cover mechanics, the abysmal fetch quests, bloated mining/crafting, and the clunky UI design that has long wait times and unnecessary screens built in to simple actions are far greater concerns.

ajanke

Any chance you can elaborate a bit? How is the visual performance? What do you think of the graphics on Pro and how is it running?
Graphics are okay. Lots of texture and object pop in. Environments is where the game shines. Visual performance is okay but I'm having frame rate issues on the pro.

Jarmel

Banned
Not any more than 1 did. Unless you'd like to list some?

Ok here's a good starting point.

I thought it was the weakest Mass Effect game by a wide margin, even without taking story in to account.

There were several sidequests that were just multiplayer maps where you play horde mode and press buttons while a disembodied voice talks to you or Cortez explains that the LZ is too hot.

The subquest log is crazy broken, uninformative, and the process of getting "missions" by just overhearing characters was poorly thought-out at best.

Encounter design felt worse than ME2. ME2 was at least clear about the fact that you are traveling down a hallway and shooting guys. You used your biotics to stop enemies from flanking you, positioned your teammates, etc. In ME3, you needed the Assault Rifle with Incendiary Ammo and you were mostly fine. To counter-balance this, they gave Cannibals inexplicably large amounts of grenades, they gave Banshees (who teleport and have tons of health) one-hit kill melee moves, and gave Cerberus enemies smokescreens that don't really do anyone any good. These things didn't make the battles any harder, it just made the battles take longer.

The reaper minigame on the galaxy map was so poorly thought out and tacked on that I would be legitimately shocked if you told me they added it more than a month before the game went gold. It is especially surprising since Christina Normal pretty explicitly said that scanning in Mass Effect 2 was awful and they regretted that mechanic, but then replaced it with something actually worse.

There's more that's not strictly a gameplay problem. The pacing (EARTH IS UNDER ATTACK hold on I have to get involved in this shopkeeper dispute with this customer trying to return something WHY WON'T YOU HELP RIGHT NOW TURIAN COMMANDER MY PEOPLE ARE DYINGGGGGGG), the pretty lame character roster in comparison to previous games, sidequests having event expiration without any indication that they would is always bad game design, War Assets meaning essentially nothing

Though weirdly, I think what bothered me most is how Turret Happy the game got near the end. I don't think these guys had any idea how to design a turret sequence so they just threw them in randomly. There was one where a reaper was chasing your car that lasts all of ten seconds. There was one where you're crossing a bridge, grab a turret, and shoot enemies with literally no obvious fail state, and then get off and keep crossing the bridge.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I do not agree with the assessment that ME3 was an amazing game ruined by its ending. It was a game that was rushed, had corners cut at every opportunity, and presented a strong argument for why game should be allowed every second they can get in the oven. It's the kind of result the industry should be looking at cock-eyed rather than praising for not trying to be ambitious enough and still failing.

The ending controversy covered up the discussion that the game was a fucking mess even ignoring the ending. I could go into stuff like the child Reaper dream sequences that didn't work at all on any emotional level and were infuriating to play through too.

Edit: Oh fuck I forgot about the Cereal Killer. How could I forget about him and his emails? For shame.

Not any more than 1 did. Unless you'd like to list some?
What about every choice in 1 and 2 instead of having actual weight it just simply being a couple of points here and there to galactic readiness? What about the Gary stu space ninja? What about the contrived plot with the dead kid and why we should care for a little robot child we met for 5 seconds? How about prior to patching it out due to player feedback, they'd essentially force you to play the multiplayer if you wanted the max galactic readiness? And yes, the ending.

My biggest issue by far though was the first point. I rescue a risky alien civilization from extinction, in the second game they tell me they'll come to my aid, in the third game they make an encounter with either the real bug race or a fake one regardless if you saved them, and ultimately their contribution? Oh here are 50 galactic readiness points.

Meifu

Spoilers for first 2 hours, wonky animations aside..

I honestly thought the story beats were pretty great with your dad at the beginning, especially when he interacts with the atmospheric processor thing and the score builds. Also after that when he puts his hand on your shoulder and says something about having hope. I have a hard time believing we won't see him again later on. No corpse after all

Spoilers for first 2 hours, wonky animations aside..

I honestly thought the story beats were pretty great with your dad at the beginning, especially when he interacts with the atmospheric processor thing and the score builds. Also after that when he puts his hand on your shoulder and says something about having hope. I have a hard time believing we won't see him again later on. No corpse after all

My thoughts as well.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Regarding romances:

If that leak regarding who can romance who is true, then I'll be pretty fucking irritated. I knew it was wishful thinking that Cora could be bi, but for MaleRyder to have access to her as well as PeeBee and Vetra (they're both bi apparently), while FemRyder has access to Liam and Suvi exclusively is such horseshit. I wanted either Vetra or PeeBee to be female only so we could have a unique dialogue with a companion, but alas FeMC players have to take another L. Ugh.

AHA-Lambda

Ok here's a good starting point.

The ending controversy covered up the discussion that the game was a fucking mess even ignoring the ending. I could go into stuff like the child Reaper dream sequences that didn't work at all on any emotional level and were infuriating to play through too.

Edit: Oh fuck I forgot about the Cereal Killer. How could I forget about him and his emails? For shame.

All this.

ME 3 has bigger problems than it's ending imo.

Zesh

2004 Korean MMO fetch quests lol.

Maybe he played the wrong game, FFXV.

Well, there are some of those, though. I think they're called "tasks" or something? The collectathon-style quests where you scan 10 animals or whatever.

That being said, there are also meatier side quests like the ones mentioned, which were a pleasant surprise for me for sure.

To everyone who's been playing the game:

What are your impressions regarding the squad based gameplay compared to previous titles? Does the favourites system and the lack of a power wheel encourage a more solo run and gun gameplay style or does the game still offer some tactical options where your squad mates are effective ?
How is the exploration compared to DAI?

Any responses would be appreciated :)

It's absolutely a solo effort now. On higher difficulties, your allies drop like flies, too. I sometimes don't even bother with reviving them because they'll just immediately die again.

So I sprung for and Completed the 10 hour trial. Pretty much all of it was single player.

Bad:
- Interface is horrible. Whoever came up with that shit should be fired along with those who approved it for the PC.

The keyboard & mouse UI is one of the worst I've ever seen. No idea what they were thinking.

Regarding romances:

If that leak regarding who can romance who is true, then I'll be pretty fucking irritated. I knew it was wishful thinking that Cora could be bi, but for MaleRyder to have access to her as well as PeeBee and Vetra (they're both bi apparently), while FemRyder has access to Liam and Suvi exclusively is such horseshit. I wanted either Vetra or PeeBee to be female only so we could have a unique dialogue with a companion, but alas FeMC players have to take another L. Ugh.
With DAI bioware said romances are not a numbers game but what makes sense for the characters and how they write them and female main characters had multiple options more. I assume the same applies here.

Kneecap

It's absolutely a solo effort now. On higher difficulties, your allies drop like flies, too. I sometimes don't even bother with reviving them because they'll just immediately die again.

Half the time, this is how I find I must play ME multiplayer.

Hmmm looks like it will allow me to stream on PS4. I remember horizon had that feature blocked before launch.

Would be great if you could do it. I want to get this game, but more exposure and reviews is what will push me to get it.

Good to hear about the environments...I can tolerate the inconsistent modelling if the environments are stunning.

Yeah, now that you mention it, the timing is suspicious. Thanks for this hypothesis. And, although I believe that a lot of EA input went into the decision to close the BW forums, I think you're on to something.

Nope, that decision was made based on the reasons announced at the time. Nothing to do with MEA specifically.

The galaxy map theme is a redux of the version from the OT right? It seems like they wanted the same type of music but didn't want to get the same people back? It doesn't feel original enough that I can judge it as its own thing nor is it good enough that I think it stands next to the work in the OG trilogy.

COMPLETELY disagree.

JoeBoy101

*WoT Warning*

Just finished up my trial and here's my thoughts (for the 10 hours I played):

Pros:

- She's a Looker: The graphics are actually quite good with good alien environments (though the desert planet is a little pedestrian). Effects are nice and overall ran like butter on my machine, though I'll admit my rig is on the hefty side.

- I Can See My House From Here: World environments are large and very open. Though there's not full verticality, your jump jet/abilities add very nice platforming aspects that don't weigh down the overall experience. The world also feels well-crafted with enough expanse to give scale, but not enough dead space to be boring.

- What's Over There: Exploration is downright fun in this game and they seem to have tucked away quite a bit all over the place on maps for people to find. From mining nodes, to codexes, and more.

- Vanguard4Lyfe: Combat is the best its been in the serious. Fluid, challenging and impactful without being tedious. The biotics design and items like Jump Jet hovering really give a ton of options for a player. One other item I like is that the enemies are very mobile as well. They will disperse, dodge and maneuver giving a much more chaotic feel to the battlefield. This is coupled with a deep skill tree giving you a lot of options and flexiblity in how you develop your character.

- oh shit: Fiend battle was awesome. Who else ran into that one as its not on the 'main' quest path for the trial?

- Oooh... Shiny: The game has some serious crafting and inventory options allowing you to change your armor, pieces of your armor, colors for your overall armor and casual outfit. Mods for your weapons and armor. Augmenting crafted weapons and armor, which then can have mods. Research Weapons, Armor, and Auguments. And its not complete facile either. One mod turns your normal shotgun shot into plasma explosive shots that do less direct damage, but cause splash damage.

- That's Some Freaky Smoke: The overall story arc is pretty interesting, presenting two (three?) different malevolent forces which are at odds with each other as well it seems. There's alot of different narrative threads and direction the game provides, including politics in the Nexus and such. Great setup.

50/50

- Fucking Boneheads: The Remnant look cool and interesting with different kind of enemies. The Scourge is downright creepy as shit and serves as a great elemental force. The Kett? Boring as shit, with a very uninspired look to them. The main Kett villain seemed somewhat interesting in action, but they were VERY un-intimidating. I'd be okay with it, if the Kett wasn't the main enemy right now. I'm just hoping they are more a side item.

- What you say?: Voice acting is somewhat all over the place. Sometimes its great with characters like Alec and Liam. Then, you have Cora, Tannen, and Addison for example. As much shit as Addison gets, I though Tannen was the worst.

- WHAT you say?: Dialogue is very hit and miss. Sometimes its great and flows just like any other Mass Effect game, even eclipsing sometimes. And then... yeah. "My face is tired." I rarely found examples that hampered my enjoyment of the game, aka cringe-inducing, but I did find some.

- Interfacting: I found the UI 'functional', but it could be loads better. I've got a strong tolerance for bad UI though, so I can easily see this slipping into a real negative. The galaxy map is particularly bad in this regard.

Cons

- Who Broke The Mirror?: There are good faces in this game. I think PeeBee looks great, Alec, Liam... and plenty of just fine faces too. But there are way, WAY too many abominations. Luckily, most of them exist on the fringes of the game: random NPCs and such. But then you run into Addison and Suvari and such. They are just goddamn brutal. Good news is that I think its fixable. Makeup removal and eyemaps will make a huge difference.

- Are You Using Product?: Fix. The. Goddamn. Hair. It looks almost uniformly terrible outside of dark colors and deep browns. Blondes, redheads, etc. Again, this is actually something patchable considering we're just talking textures.

- Animations.: Do I truly need to say anything about this? I will say I never got most of the bugs other people have. Not one t-pose, no moonwalks, etc. And much like the bad faces, 90% of the time they are on the fringes and not in your face. Still, no excuse and sadly I'm not sure Bioware will be able to fix animations outside of outright bugs like Peebee's handle-firing gun. This also hurts the character interactions because there is not enough facial animation, even when there REALLY needs to have some emoting shown.

- Pathfinder?!: I don't mind the Savior concept being used. Its pretty standard in games and we're used to it. What I think most people complaining about here is the WORSHIP characters show you. I know this calms down a bit towards the end of the 10 hours, but the attempts to build up narrative obstacles for the player are undermined by NPC's falling all over you to touch or talk to you. Though some skepticism by a couple of key characters is shown, it is not nearly significant enough or widespread.

- Character Creator: The worst its been in a Bioware game since before Mass Effect 1. Oh, you can make decent looking MCs, but it'll take some time. The male default Ryder, who can't grow a beard, forgot to pack a razor and female default Ryder is the stuff of nightmares. Seriously, its not about looking pretty, they made her look inhuman. The presetss are not much better with severely lacking customization options. Luckily, Bioware specifically mentioned this as an item they will patch with more options.

Trial Judgment: I bought it after the trial.

Look, I know you've all seen the gifs, "My face is tired", and the backwards gun shot. The question is how jarring and degrading is it to the overall game experience. From my opinion, not much. Rough around the edges is a good descriptor as there is a VERY fun game here with alot of promise going forward plotwise and such. The problem is that the mileage you get despite the issues is very personal. I see enough gameplay, experience, and fun to justify the $60, but can understand it being too much, preorder cancelled for others.

In the end, I'm guessing this will be a VERY divisive game. Expect some people giving it 9s and others giving it 5s. Based on what I played, I'd give it an 8.5 or so. But I also can't wait to play more on Tuesday, so if this just growing pains for the overall length of play, awesome.

SDBurton said:
Regarding romances:

I'm not sure how it all falls out, but I was able to flirt with almost every member of the Tempest crew after we launched. I think only Gil was not included. Playing PenisRyder BTW.

StereoVsn

Well, there are some of those, though. I think they're called "tasks" or something? The collectathon-style quests where you scan 10 animals or whatever.

That being said, there are also meatier side quests like the ones mentioned, which were a pleasant surprise for me for sure.

The keyboard & mouse UI is one of the worst I've ever seen. No idea what they were thinking.
Yeap, it's like they looked at the already terrible DAI PC UI and said: "We can surely do worse!"

I also forgot to mention that I found the vast majority of characters badly written. Even in DAI a few chars were fairly interesting right off the start. Here, I wanted to let the vast majority of them take a spacewalk without their spacesuits.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Regarding romances:

Uhhh... What? In terms of numbers, they're pretty balanced actually, why are you suggesting FemRyder took another L...?

JoeBoy101

They had Cassandra. Would've traded Sera in a heartbeat for her.

The opposite for me. Sera was way more fun, while romancing Cassandra was like masturbating with a cheese grater. Slightly amusing, but mostly, painful.

LightInfa said:
Great post - really appreciate the info. Your crafting impressions have me really hopeful/excited that that will as good if not better than DAI (which I loved for crafting)!

I think DAI gives you more options to customize how your gear looks, but MEA gives way more meat to the upgrades. Also, it looks like you have way more options for different armor, weapons, and such. Hell, I have a full suit of Kett Armor already. Also, love you can do different melee weapons too.

I NEED to wield a Krogan Hammer.

mxgt

Banned
Played about 5 hours so far. Probably not gonna buy this.

The menus and UI with KB/M are just fucking terrible. I imagine they're terrible with controller too, just an absolute mess and completely unintuitive.

The really poor and cheesy dialogue and horrible facial animations are a deal breaker for me as well. No characters have been remotely appealing to me so far.

It just hasn't drawn me in at all like the first 2 games did within the first few hours.

Just really disappointed. Might continue the trial but at the moment I don't even want to play it any more.

Uhhh... What? In terms of numbers, they're pretty balanced actually, why are you suggesting FemRyder took another L...?

I think the complaint is 'because x and y characters are bisexual instead of only being for my choice, their romance will be fairly bland vs more gender specific' or something along those lines. Which for bioware games wouldn't be far off, but at the same time making it gender specific doesn't necessarily make the romance any better. Wasn't Liara the most popular one and she was bi? In fact her race is general is meant to fuck both men and women.

JoeBoy101

Played about 5 hours so far. Probably not gonna buy this.

The menus and UI with KB/M are just fucking terrible. I imagine they're terrible with controller too, just an absolute mess and completely unintuitive.

The really poor and cheesy dialogue and horrible facial animations are a deal breaker for me as well. No characters have been remotely appealing to me so far.

It just hasn't drawn me in at all like the first 2 games did within the first few hours.

Just really disappointed. Might continue the trial but at the moment I don't even want to play it any more.

Despite all the stated issues, I think one of the bigger ones is the rush of the intro. There should have been WAY introduction to story and characters before you go off with your Dad. Hell, starting pre-launch briefly and introducing characters there and introduce the concepts then would have been a MUCH better choice. Fallout 4 had this same problem. Way too much too soon.

Lime

Despite all the stated issues, I think one of the bigger ones is the rush of the intro. There should have been WAY introduction to story and characters before you go off with your Dad. Hell, starting pre-launch briefly and introducing characters there and introduce the concepts then would have been a MUCH better choice. Fallout 4 had this same problem. Way too much too soon.

ME3 also had a really rough beginning so I guess it makes sense this would happen with ME:A with Walters being creative director.

SliChillax

I agree. When the game showed the ships arriving at Andromeda I was like wait, that's it? I was expecting to see more about how they prepared for the long distance travel or just a final goodbye to the milky way.

Lt-47

ME3 also had a really rough beginning so I guess it makes sense this would happen with ME:A with Walters being creative director.

It's been a Bioware staple since the mostly positive feedback of ME2 intro. It doesn't work nearly as well in Andromeda because they have a LOT of thing to setup

Jobbs

Banned
I think my biggest complaint with the game isn't the animation, per se, but the lack of unf in the gunplay. Bullets don't feel powerful and the impact typically has little or no particles/effects. Shooting Kett doesn't feel good.

JoeBoy101

There is NOTHING I hate more than a game that doesn't give you a proper beginning, expecting you to read a wiki or go online to get the backstory. Show it in the damn game!

I would have railed about it on MEA more, but the Codex does provide all the backstory necessary with plenty of color. Its just stuff that should have been in-game. Like meeting the billionaire launching the Initiative. Hell, do people even realize that you're actually an Employee in the game? Over 500 days until you get paid vacation.

I mean FFS, show us when you got hired.

But this is all academic. They had bigger things they needed to fix to mince about that.

Jobbs said:
I think my biggest complaint with the game isn't the animation, per se, but the lack of unf in the gunplay. Bullets don't feel powerful and the impact typically has little or no particles/effects. Shooting Kett doesn't feel good.

I dunno. Shotgun feels great. Still, I'd agree somewhat with this. Melee has a bit of a similar issue. They need to have more impact response from enemies. Though, I'd be afraid to ask them to add more animation. God only knows how THAT would turn out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Played about 6 hours so far and reached the end of how far the trial goes up to, I'm starting to get into it and enjoying it more and more.  It honestly feels like Mass Effect to me, the problem is it doesn't feel like the series has really moved on that much since ME3 and in some ways worse with some of the animations, writing etc.  However there's a core there that I'm enjoying, it's not consistently or constantly bad animation/writing wise and I'm liking some more of people I'm talking to (Addison can get tee fuck though).  The core story has me very interested and I do want to keep playing more to see how it pans out.  The combat continues to be really fun as well, I'm enjoying it a lot, I'll fully admit if the jetpack/jetpack dodging wasn't in their I'd probably be enjoying it less.  Of course they left me at a point where I wanted to see what would happen.

Does it mean I'll run out and buy it right now ?  No though I may do sometime next week just depends, but from what I've played I don't think it's THAT bad really, just disappointing when the quality of other games this year is so high.  I realise it's fun to dogpile on EA and post lots of gifs and give them a lot of shit (which I think are pretty fucking hilarious) but it's certainly not leaving me hating it.  In a way as I said before I guess it reminds me of those janky euro RPGs that I love to bits.  Plus I'll fully admit you give me an icon and I'll chase that fucker over the map. (though even I can't do everything in Ubisofts games!)

Lime

I agree. When the game showed the ships arriving at Andromeda I was like wait, that's it? I was expecting to see more about how they prepared for the long distance travel or just a final goodbye to the milky way.

Reminds me of ME3: Suddenly reapers just teleport out of nowhere without any buildup.

Edit: inky explained it better below

inky

ME 3's intro was just the worst. They had a really nice setup with the Arrival consequnces and other stuff, but you could tell they just wanted this epic: "oh no! Earth and humanity are under attack, NOW it gets real. Please get immediately attached to these particular things you never cared about so our ending works, kthxbai".

You have a completely blank slate now m8. Take it slow. But from what I've seen it is a mix of going through the motions and dumping this pathfinder title as almost cult figure on you and letting loose. What's the rush?

definitely true. More than anything I feel I am only seeing a bar go down.

lol That's not a fact.

Oh man that shit was hilarious. The writing in ME3 was questionable on a LOT of fronts.

It's not a fact because quality is subjective but the MC for the game is 90+ and the MP is played to this day. The MP alone bumps up the score considerably.

The Dark Shape

Neo Member
I just saw where the trial ends. Wow. They could have at least let players go into the Vault! They already showed it during the PS4 Pro reveal!

I have weird feelings with the game - unlike most (all?) BioWare titles, I don't like the characters all that much but I'm really enjoying the mystery of the Remnant. I just set up our first colony in a new galaxy, and I won't lie - I got the feels. I'm such a BioWare mark.

Top Bottom