• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Official 4K Tech Video

Rappy

Oh please, this video was not a gameplay video in the sense that they did not show any combat. It was meant to show the graphics. That said, the environment they chose was not the best/most interesting looking thing they could have shown.

The art style is meh, but some of the new functionality is interesting. Not the best gameplay demo, but at least they've shown something off now.

kurahador

Looks nice, but uninteresting? Those camera panning just made me groan really.

Also, good god those armors are overdesigned mess and it looks ugly as shit.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Animations look honestly terrible.

They move like Metal Gear Solid joke characters used to on PS2 in this weird "obviously not mo-capped properly" way.

nOoblet16

This was basically a mix of Vault of Glass and Crota's End with an ME character walking around slowly and doing nothing else. Couldn't have chosen a worse demo.

of all the possibilities your character creator affords this is what you come up with bioware?

lolkuux6.jpg

Reminds me exactly of the guy from Halo 4, sounds just like him too. Whats his name? Lasky?
300px-Thomas_Lasky,_2557.png

The super zoomed out camera seemed bizarre. Overall I was unimpressed since he just jumped around and scanned stuff. Please be good!

MaxiLive

It looks very good visually and I can't wait to see more.

The sound is really what got me though, those enemies sound fantastic.

studyguy

The way it moved sort of reminded me of Shadows of the Empire on 64 works for some reason, which might be okay. Also Bioware animations still need work.

FinKL

This is still misleading to me, is it internally rendering at 4k or are we just getting 1080p unscaled to 4k?
I don't have a 4k to watch it hehe

Jb

Art direction doesn't look like Mass Effect at all. It looks like Dragon Inquisition. That's a very noticeable and disappointing thing as ME1 and ME2 had very distinct and stellar art direction.

That footage did also remind me of DA:I .
I think the way the camera is placed is also very reminiscent of that game.

Flipyap

Ah, of course the Asari chose to partake in space exploration with a midriff window. That's the BioWare I know and... know.

This wasn't meant to be a gameplay demonstration. It's a visual showcase. I've seen quite a bit of the game and I'm not understanding the "DAI vibes" comments.

of all the possibilities your character creator affords this is what you come up with bioware?

lolkuux6.jpg
That's Scott Ryder, the default scanned face from an actor, not the character creator.

There's no game I'm more excited for, and I'm glad we saw anything at all, but it didn't make me as happy as I would have hoped.

Agree about the generic male protagonist, and the asari's hop looked...strange. The scanning thing and the jump jet look like they COULD be cool, and fit with the exploration theme of the game, but what was shown here seemed pretty basic.

I'm sure the game looked aesthetically/mechanically rad, but I was watching a stream on mobile so that was hard to evaluate.

The platforming sections just seem thrown in haphazardly too.

This looks like a completely different team is trying to do a Mass Effect game without understanding any of the basic scifi influences in the original trilogy.

It's not a good sign that Christina Norman (lead gameplay designer for both ME2 and ME3) and Casey Hudson (Lead Project Director) all the prior Mass Effect game) both left

Weiss

Banned
IDK what y'all are on about 'cause that was what I wanted.

Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the series and that's because it's a game about slowly plodding around alien worlds. The more Andromeda is like that, the better.

It's a clip to show off the graphics. Why do you guys have to be such bummers all the damn time?

Wow, I know right? This was not a trailer. The point of this clip was obviously just to show off an environment. I think it's cool that we got a brief cutscene and a look at a squadmate too. I'm impatient for the game too, but I can't believe that people are acting like it's some major letdown that this wasn't a typical trailer.

The animations looks over animated...but also under animated at the same time.

Is it so wrong to expect fluid character movement in our games these days?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Animations look honestly terrible.

They move like Metal Gear Solid joke characters used to on PS2 in this weird "obviously not mo-capped properly" way.
This a huge improvement compared to other bioware games, but not up to par when you consider other rpgs like Witcher 3. Witcher 3 stays ahead of the RPG industry at every turn... >_>

Also Bioware wtf happened with advertising the game with the female as default?? Why show off generic white male #539585793389627?!

Beautiful, but I'm getting some Inquisiton vibes.

I love Mass Effect, but that looked damn boring? Nice and glossy, but snooze?

Yup, that leaked survey had me thinking this would feel like Inquisition and this video adds some more fuel to that fire. It'll no doubt be a pretty looking game like Inquisition but the big question is what else is there beyond the visuals?

And I see they're tossing in some platforming and jumping stuff. Boy, that sure was my favorite part of Inquisition! And they're seemingly having the party members magically disappear when you're platforming only to pop up again when you enter a cutscene?

Mediking

I'm still super excited but the default Ryder is trash and the cutscene was good and bad at the same time. Still buying everything the game will offer.

Jb

Not sure how I feel about that character design - the jacket thing doesn't really make sense, especially if it's supposed to be the combat armor

Maybe she can't breathe if clothes cover her belly button?

just watched it on my 4k tv, looks great, I wonder how much difference it will look on normal 1080p tv, considering it's more of an upscaling rather than native 4k.

Top Bottom