• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Official 4K Tech Video

dr_rus

That was an extremely unimpressive gameplay clip...

Yep. If that's the best they can show I'm officially worried about MEA now. I mean, I was worried after the dumpster fire of ME3 but I remained somewhat optimistic for a new team. This is almost completely gone now.

There are actually three Ryders: this guy, his sister, and their dad (N7 man).
Mass Effect Andromeda creative director Mac Walters told PlayStation Access (in the video below) that the female and male versions of the character seen so far are actually bother and sister, while the very first character we saw is their father.

Here's the full quote from Walters:

"At E3 we got to see our female Ryder character and now we're seeing the male Ryder character. What a lot of people don't know is that these two are brother and sister, and they both exist in the game world at the same time. So, if you're playing as the sister Ryder, your brother is somewhere in the universe. And another fun little titbit is the character you saw two E3's ago in the N7 is actually their father. So we've got the full Ryder family now revealed".

Yep. If that's the best they can show I'm officially worried about MEA now. I mean, I was worried after the dumpster fire of ME3 but I remained somewhat optimistic for a new team. This is almost completely gone now.

I don't think this was the best they can show. However I am worried for the title as well, and it is quite confusing why they showed any game-play at all if this is supposed to be a tech showcase. Not to mention that this was their first time showing the game running.

But from the clip, the writing does seem really bad in the scene, and I am not a fan of the character designs. And I already played trough DA:I once, (which was more than enough) I don't want to play Mass Effect: The Inquisition edition.

Garlador

I don't think this was the best they can show. However I am worried for the title as well, and it is quite confusing why they showed any game-play at all if this is supposed to be a tech showcase. Not to mention that this was their first time showing the game running.

But from the clip, the writing does seem really bad in the scene, and I am not a fan of the character designs. And I already played trough DA:I once, (which was more than enough) I don't want to play Mass Effect: The Inquisition edition.

As someone slogging through Dragon Age: Inquisition RIGHT NOW and who has dozens upon dozens upon dozens of hours sunk into it, I turned to my wife yesterday and just said "this game should really be over with by now... and I just unlocked a new area. I don't WANT to go to that area..."

So much tedious, mindless, pointless item gathering and fetch quests. It's like the poster-child of big, empty, open world banality. It takes FOREVER to get to something interesting, and so much of it is either forgettable or downright frustrating and annoying.

... But it got so many GOTY awards, I knew Bioware would take that as a sign to go in that direction for Mass Effect. I'm definitely concerned.

And it's really late in the game for "pre-alpha" footage at this point, isn't it?

As someone slogging through Dragon Age: Inquisition RIGHT NOW and who has dozens upon dozens upon dozens of hours sunk into it, I turned to my wife yesterday and just said "this game should really be over with by now... and I just unlocked a new area. I don't WANT to go to that area..."

So much tedious, mindless, pointless item gathering and fetch quests. It's like the poster-child of big, empty, open world banality. It takes FOREVER to get to something interesting, and so much of it is either forgettable or downright frustrating and annoying.

... But it got so many GOTY awards, I knew Bioware would take that as a sign to go in that direction for Mass Effect. I'm definitely concerned.

And it's really late in the game for "pre-alpha" footage at this point, isn't it?

Based on the previous games, I'm counting on the shooter and traversal (vehicle) gameplay being way more fun and engaging than Dragon Age's movement and combat... so it'll likely has that going for it at least.

But who knows? They're a bit shy about showing this one off until some arbitrary date in the marketing timeline.

I'm going to be new to ME when this comes out, so really not qualified to talk about this one.

That said, wtf is with all these reaction threads unfolding the same way? The first several pages everyone has the exact same complaints. It's almost like everyone waits for whatever outrage to build and then jumps on board.

What, now suddenly average brown hair protagonists are lame? This was the one that did it? Not the last most recent brown haired guy? Where is the few people who actually likes the way he looks? The law of averages would say there are at least a few. These threads are becoming parodies of themselves.

/Rant

Continue with the outrage of the day
Head over to the Community threads. That's where you'll find much less "outrage of the day" stuff and some super awesome fans. These front page threads are always full of reaction and "concern". Some people enjoy that too.

BumRush

The game is in pre alpha stage still? Just a few months away from its release? Am I the only one expecting another delay?

The footage was pre-alpha...they never made mention of when the footage was recorded so it could have been a few months old.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Finally got home and watched this on my 4K 65".

Holy shit that was crisp. Running on a console? Sign me the fuck up.

I am used to running my games at 4K on my PC, but having that huge gulf between my consoles and my PC closed in such an efficient way is mind blowing.

Being able to play multiplayer games like this with my PS4 friends, without feeling like I am playing a last gen version of the game I could be playing on my PC instead will be fantastic.

Bring on the Forward Compatibility Patches!

i-Lo

Finally got home and watched this on my 4K 65".

Holy shit that was crisp. Running on a console? Sign me the fuck up.

I am used to running my games at 4K on my PC, but having that huge gulf between my consoles and my PC closed in such an efficient way is mind blowing.

Being able to play multiplayer games like this with my PS4 friends, without feeling like I am playing a last gen version of the game I could be playing on my PC instead will be fantastic.

Bring on the Forward Compatibility Patches!

It's not native. Wait for Scorpio.

BigTnaples

It's not native. Wait for Scorpio.

Dunno if you're being sarcastic or not...?

I know its not native, but the fact that it comes that close to native 4KIQ on a 399 machine that shouldn't be capable of half of 4K, is awesome.

Already have my Pro ordered, and will more than likely get Scorpio down the line too. If they bring their A game.

i-Lo

I know its not native, but the fact that it comes that close to native 4KIQ on a 399 machine that shouldn't be capable of half of 4K, is awesome.

Already have my Pro ordered, and will more than likely get Scorpio down the line too. If they bring their A game.

;P

In all seriousness however, aside from PS exclusives, I can't fathom any reason for owning Pro given you've got a 4K capable PC.

Also, Scorpio will do native 4K which will be the same as your PC, albeit with less customisability in gfx settings department.

Let us know if you can tell the difference between in IQ during gameplay between this clever upscale vs native 4K. Presumably your tv also has HDR.

Lime

Also, Scorpio will do native 4K which will be the same as your PC, albeit with less customisability in gfx settings department.

I'd rather stay out of console war business, but you have absolutely no way of knowing that.

The point was to just give a taste of the visuals at 4K with HDR.
People are acting like this was supposed to be some big reveal.

Venom Fox

Banned
;P

In all seriousness however, aside from PS exclusives, I can't fathom any reason for owning Pro given you've got a 4K capable PC.

Let us know if you can tell the difference between in IQ during gameplay between this clever upscale vs native 4K. Presumably your tv also has HDR.
If you think Scorpio will do ME:A in native 4k at any playable framerate, I can tell you right now you need to see a doctor. I'm afraid you've lost your mind. :)

If you don't believe me, you'll find out soon enough. Devs have already spoken about Scorpio and said it's a waste trying to hit Native 4k as that's the only improvement you'll see. Not very worthwhile tbh. It'll be like playing PC low overall settings but outputted in 4k....

How will you decide what to play on PC and Pro? My issue right now, other than exclusives, I want to use it but at the same time doesn't make sense to neglect a more powerful pc.

BigTnaples

;P

How will you decide what to play on PC and Pro? My issue right now, other than exclusives, I want to use it but at the same time doesn't make sense to neglect a more powerful pc.

I tend to double dip on PC and Console because all of my friends have games on PS4, so to play with them, I get multiplayer games on PS4, then tend to double dip because games on my PC feel a generation ahead.

With PS4 Pro, that gulf isn't nearly as wide, so if I play a multiplayer game worth my friends, I don't feel like I am missing out so much that I should double dip on PC.

Top Bottom