• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What the fuck? From the way some people in this thread (and in general) are talking you'd think Bioware is releasing Super Big Rigs 64 or something that bricks your console as opposed to a competent (mediocre at worst, good at best) game, albeit a disappointing new installment of an storied franchise. One that you're even likely to enjoy if you're a fan of the genre or the setting.

Seriously what the fuck? This is missing a sarcasm tag, isn't it?

Gaf loves to be hyperbolic

Why? Caveat emptor, baby. It's not like the game is fundamentally broken in the same way that some steam greenlight and early access titles are. Why should a retail chain be expected to tell a prospective customer not to purchase a decent if not amazing entry in a long running franchise? What would they even say? "You shouldn't buy it. It's only got a 75 on metacritic, so you definitely won't enjoy it," or something?

Name one sphere of entertainment where this would be expected. I can just picture it at the cinema:
"Two tickets to Paul Blart: Fart Mart, please."
"Uh... Sir, that movie is shit, with a 4 on Rotten Tomatoes. You should probably see 'Depressing Indie Drama' instead, as it's Certified Fresh."

Nah. The buyer should be responsible for making informed decisions about their purchases.

I'm not going to lie, I might go see "Paul Blart: Fart Mart" solely because of the name.

KillLaCam

Banned
It's about what u expected. I'm really enjoying the game though. But I felt like it would review meh because of the animations and bugs. I was never really interested in the new story but that part depends on what type of story you like.

Gameplay is great though. I care more about gameplay than most things. So I'll have fun

But I do hope Bethesdas next game gets reviewed fairly like this too. Because these bugs are alright compared to some of their games.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Anyone waiting for the Scorpio before playing this? I have already opened my sealed copy, but noticed that the framerate is garbage on Xbox One. Some of the worst bugs might also be fixed by then.

What? So you wish people could avoid the rampant negativity of the internet but you want GameStop to enforce that negativity in the real world instead?

I though starting with OMG and then posting something as ridiculous as a GameStop employee telling someone to NOT buy a game couldn't have been more clear as sarcasm

jtb

Banned
It's about what u expected. I'm really enjoying the game though. But I felt like it would review meh because of the animations and bugs. I was never really interested in the new story but that part depends on what type of story you like.

Gameplay is great though. I care more about gameplay than most things. So I'll have fun

But I do hope Bethesdas next game gets reviewed fairly like this too. Because these bugs are alright compared to some of their games.

If their next game isn't a big step up from Fallout 4, I think we're going to see that.

Both Fallout 4 and Andromeda are facing heat for problems that were present in the previous entries in the series. With AAA games, there's always some lag in terms of critical and commercial performance when the game has major issues. (I think the most obvious example of this being GTA IV)

My personal take is that a lot of this is just leftover bitterness from the way the finale of ME3 was handled + the incredibly bad quest design of Dragon Age: Inquisition (which looks to be repeated here, for the most part, but was completely glossed over in DA:I's initial release).

Mass Effect 3 really disappointed me (and it wasn't just because of the garbage ending) so I was having a hard time feeling any excitement towards this one, but I did not expect or want this to happen. I'm not even saying that as in it looks so bad but more strange how this has all turned out.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Omg. I hope all the GameStop clerks around the country at least TRY to warn people before they cash them out for this game.
Only if someone asks their opinion. Otherwise, it's just being a pretentious ass presuming you're saving someone from entertainment you don't like. I don't want people telling me how bad Transformers is when I go to see Transformers. I know it's considered poorly done, but I like it anyway.

As someone who didn't like ME 1 (even if I bought the X360 just for it lol), loves ME2 (I did two playthrough one after the other !) and enjoyed ME3, what I read from reviews doesn't embode well with me, especially after all the excellent games we played this year. Guess I'll wait for the unavoidable sequel and its app which allow to make the major choices.

Drek

Like I said before, I think Bioware absolutely needed this to be 90+ on Metacritic due to the backlash against ME3 and the wait between games. This has to be an incredible disappointment for them.

I don't think it needed to be a 90+, but they really needed it to hold up alongside the rest of the big Q1 2017 releases, a mid-80's score would have sufficed to give them the credibility they need.

Instead this just feels like further cementing the fact that they aren't ready for expectations post-Witcher 3. Dragon Age: Inquisition's negative perception is largely a product of hindsight after The Witcher 3. Now we've seen Horizon come out with narrative and world building on par with The Witcher 3. Nintendo did something special with open world narrative and exploration with Breath of the Wild. Red Dead Redemption 2 is on the calendar and Rockstar almost never disappoints on narrative.

Bioware's big thing used to be industry best narratives with more or less solid RPG gameplay but the medium has shifted so fast in the last few years that what they used to offer just simply does not hold up today. It works for Bioware fans but the larger gaming community just isn't going to settle for the old Bioware formula anymore.

Is there anyone familiar with the reviews that can point me to one in which the reviewer beat the game on hard difficulty or higher?

Drek

I would agree, but I suspect the reason why Bethesda doesn't have another Elder Scrolls or Fallout on the calendar is because they see it coming too and have taken Gamebryo out back and put it out of it's misery.

Also, Skyrim was a pretty damn solid step up from Oblivion and Fallout 3 so they aren't quite so far removed from when people were really wowed by one of their games.

What? It's not a retailer's job to inform a customer on reviews for something they purchase. "Ohh by the way the reviews for this movie are really bad, you probably don't want to watch it".

When I used to work for the movie theater I have warned customers about really shitty movies if they had to make a choice.

kevin1025

Banned
Anyone waiting for the Scorpio before playing this? I have already opened my sealed copy, but noticed that the framerate is garbage on Xbox One. Some of the worst bugs might also be fixed by then.

I think just like the Pro, there aren't going to be a ton of older games that get Scorpio patches. Maybe a Boost Mode type of setting, though!

Wulfram

Dude, have you seen the new Amazon pilot for OASIS? I want a game like that! Why can't I have a game like that?!

Something slow and less focused on combat. Something intimate where you really get to know people. And a mystery that you are trying to solve while not set on a large stage.

Moreover, the environment in OASIS is very simplistic with the desert landscape and the futuristic concrete habitats and definitely something that could be very well and more easily done that most complex stages set in other game worlds.

Eh, the combat is the thing that seems to get the best reviews of this game. And they need something with mass appeal to justify the budget necessary to get the talky intimate bits to the necessary quality.

Really, the logical thing for Bioware to do after this game would be to sell out completely and just make a straight shooter with set protagonist and a light, well presented story. The climate for a Bioware RPG was ridiculously hostile even before this game, and most of their distinguishing features seem to get no credit despite being expensive and difficult.

Trojan

It doesn't matter, I've played No Man's Sky and that got a 7 from GameSpot, I can't imagine a world where this crap is better than Mass Effect, even if it has problems.

Play the game first before you criticize an outlet that gave a score after playing the entire game. C'mon man, why do you think just watching a few scenes would give you enough info to render a verdict on the game?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't think it needed to be a 90+, but they really needed it to hold up alongside the rest of the big Q1 2017 releases, a mid-80's score would have sufficed to give them the credibility they need.

I don't agree with this actually. Personally, I don't need a game to be 90 or above on Metacritic. I mean, I enjoyed Knack.

But we live in a "Metacritic industry." There's no avoiding that at this time. And if this game even ended up at an 85, the "low" scores would still be discussed at length.

When the previous three games are all 90+ on Metacritic and the last one ended up having a huge amount of fan backlash, Bioware needed this to stand out against the wave of incredible games we have received over the past few months. Even a mid-80s score turns it into, "Oh. It's more of the same and they didn't really do anything to rise above."

Again, I don't base my game purchasing on Metacritic. But given the development of the game and the history of the series, I personally believe they needed to hit 90+ in order for it to be viewed as a true success.

And 75 is just crushing.

kirblar

ME1 being the weakest is the majority opinion, even here. It's just that there are some very vocal fans of the first one who tend to contribute a lot more than others in discussions. ME2 won game of the year when it was released, and is generally regarded as being the high point of the series.
Yup, stripping the open world crap out of the game was the best decision ever. You could play a section in one sitting then easily close out and do another the next day.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It doesn't matter, I've played No Man's Sky and that got a 7 from GameSpot, I can't imagine a world where this crap is better than Mass Effect, even if it has problems.

You do realize that both of those games were reviewed by different people, right?

"GameSpot" is not a person.

jtb

Banned
Eh, the combat is the thing that seems to get the best reviews of this game. And they need something with mass appeal to justify the budget necessary to get the talky intimate bits to the necessary quality.

Really, the logical thing for Bioware to do after this game would be to sell out completely and just make a straight shooter with set protagonist and a light, well presented story. The climate for a Bioware RPG was ridiculously hostile even before this game, and most of their distinguishing features seem to get no credit despite being expensive and difficult.

Imo, they've already been doing that -- it's just that the "other stuff" RPG dressings allowed BioWare to paper over the fact that some of their core game mechanics were not up to competitor standards. Once you do that, you're playing with the Uncharteds, etc. of the world.

I wasn't saying that they should turn ME into that. Just that I wanted a game like that. Or a spinoff if it was ME related.

samn

I still love how 7 is the new 2.

There's nothing actually wrong with game reviewers not using the full scale. It just doesn't matter. Both reviewers and the audience know what a particular score 'means'. As long as the numbers are communicating the reviewer's opinion of the relative quality of the game, that's good enough.

Patrick S.

Banned
Just bought it from cdkeys using that 5% Facebook discount, paid €39.51 for the game, which is a nice enough price. I was hoping I'd get the key straight away, to unlock it via VPN and play tonight, but it seems they won't send out the keys until release. Bummer, but saving €20 vs. buying directly from Origin makes up for that. At least that's what I'm telling myself :/ Hey, I could sign up to that Origin Access thing and carry over the process, right?

butman

It's funny how the 75 hasn't moved all day.
Maybe is a consensus of the press to leave it with that score? Because with a point below the note would become yellow (mixed) and it would look bad.

I still love how 7 is the new 2.

When a game franchise goes from hitting mid to low 9s to a 7, yes its absolutely worrisome. This isnt a case of "its a new studio and its their first take with the franchise". This is Bioware making a Mass Effect game. If anyone should know how to make a great Mass effect game, it should be them.

The fact that this is the best they could do this time around absolutely worries me.

ironcreed

Banned
I though starting with OMG and then posting something as ridiculous as a GameStop employee telling someone to NOT buy a game couldn't have been more clear as sarcasm

That has actually happened to me before. Back in 2007 I had a clerk at Gamestop try to talk me out of picking up my pre-order of Heavenly Sword. I promptly told him to mind his own fucking business and asked him to please give me my game. To this day it remains a PS3 classic for me. What do you know, lol?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't agree with this actually. Personally, I don't need a game to be 90 or above on Metacritic. I mean, I enjoyed Knack.

But we live in a "Metacritic industry." There's no avoiding that at this time. And if this game even ended up at an 85, the "low" scores would still be discussed at length.

When the previous three games are all 90+ on Metacritic and the last one ended up having a huge amount of fan backlash, Bioware needed this to stand out against the wave of incredible games we have received over the past few months. Even a mid-80s score turns it into, "Oh. It's more of the same and they didn't really do anything to rise above."

Again, I don't base my game purchasing on Metacritic. But given the development of the game and the history of the series, I personally believe they needed to hit 90+ in order for it to be viewed as a true success.

And 75 is just crushing.
I don't need my games to hit XX meta number but I do expect the 4th installation of a game series to improve on what the others did and not go 10 years back in time, which frankly even then the characters interact better IMO.

One? Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age Inquisiton, half of Mass Effect 3 never happened then?

Oh, come on. The hate for Inquisition is downright becoming annoying here on GAF. It was nowhere near the turd some of you make it seem to be. It was good enough for its time.

Bioware has the pain that two incredible action RPG's released prior to Andromeda. The Witcher 3 and Horizon. These two games has set a new bar in terms of story, pacing, atmosphere and gameplay. Those were big shoes to fill or either trail for Bioware.

Greg Miller mentioned Tay to him MEA, like Fallout 4, feels like a game out of time. The devs went off and made the game while the industry changed around them, so comparing the game (even subconsciously) to other games from the same release wibdow like Horizon and Zelda it feels antiquated. Is this an accurate statement?

Anyone else think that ME:A had bigger development problems than just being rushed out?

Take a look at that leaked vid from 2016 again. Better lighting and texture quality. That scene is also completely bugged out for a lot of people, resulting in T-Poses galore.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

ironcreed

Banned
Greg Miller mentioned Tay to him MEA, like Fallout 4, feels like a game out of time. The devs went off and made the game while the industry changed around them, so comparing the game (even subconsciously) to other games from the same release wibdow like Horizon and Zelda it feels antiquated. Is this an accurate statement?

Well, I happen to love many old and dated games right along with all of the modern games that are making waves. So I guess that could be seen a nostalgic plus for many.

Lime

Anyone else think that ME:A had bigger development problems than just being rushed out?

Take a look at that leaked vid from 2016 again. Better lighting and texture quality. That scene is also completely bugged out for a lot of people, resulting in T-Poses galore.

RIP Cora's ponytail.

Wow I forgot how good this looked. I can't believe the lighting changed this dramatically.

Whompa02

RIP Cora's ponytail.

RIP any sense of emotion at all. What happened?! I mean it wasn't perfect in the early build but it looks like there's at least something going on.

thelastword

Banned
I never expected this game to review so badly, typically, a game in the 70's does not denote a bad game for me, but Mass Effect 1.2.3 was consistently in the 90's and even then the games had lots of issues with bugs, poor framerates and complaints about story advancement in ME3, mako driving in 1 etc..amongst other things.....If this series can suddenly take a tumult to the mid to early 70's, it means that there are much more issues than a few bugs and bad handling on vehicles......

Something which I'm big on is animations and though Mass Effect was never an ace in that category...hell it's something which I always felt they should improve since ME.1, they actually made it worse in the fourth game, it's pretty head-scratching..No wonder I've seen so many Mass Effects.A gifs of bad animations all over the internet recently......

Another decision I don't like is the use of Frostbite, I'm just not impressed with the engine as others on here....Sub resolutions for most games, they try to push detail and effects here and it's sub 30 fps consistently with tearing.....I'm also seeing lots of bad background textures in pretty much every scene in this game.....UE4 would have been eternally better for Mass Effect.A tbh..

I've also yet to see a current gen frostbite game that animates excellently. The poorer quality there may not be directly related to the engine, but I'm definitely smelling a rat here...

Anyways, despite these reviews, I imagine Andromeda will still sell well, but not as well as EA anticipated.....

Top Bottom