• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Some small updates (voice casting has started, combat, etc)

Patryn

I don't really care about it. My choices will always be mine, that's why I would be completely happy for them to pick a canon ending, even if it wasn't the one I chose. It has no bearing on what I did, that will always exist. I'm just saying it terms of taking into consideration the choices people made and everything one route actually requires them to think about the outcome of events and what players actually did in a thoughtful way in order to incorporate that into the next series and the other just leaves them in the corner because they took the convenient way out that circumvents them entirely.

Except by picking a canon ending they literally couldn't be taking into account what players did.

It's either move elsewhere (which is interesting and new) and not deal with it, or outright ignore what a bunch of players did by making certain choices canon.

Ralemont

not me
Praying for all the crafting shit, especially because Inquisition's fade-touched crafting opened up the combat quite a bit. Imagine the grenades.

Teuoxton

Are they going to cast Kevin Sorbo as the new Male MC? He already did The Conduit so he should be open to more video game roles right?
2009110616175035.jpeg

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Except by picking a canon ending they literally couldn't be taking into account what players did.

It's either move elsewhere (which is interesting and new) and not deal with it, or outright ignore what a bunch of players did by making certain choices canon.

Technically, but one requires actually examining what players did and the choices they made, the other requires no examination or consideration at all. Not everyone could be accommodated but they would have at least taken the time to go over it, weigh the options and so on.

The current situation just averts that entirely. Nothing that occurs in ME3 matters to Andromeda. I'm not saying that's good or bad. Just that in a hypothetical situation where ME4 exists and people are outraged at one ending being canon and not the others, that situation at least requires BioWare to spend time and care in looking at what people did and chose and how that affects the universe going forward. The current situation requires none of that.

Which I find funny. People would be far more angry and outraged that they actually took the time to work things out than the reality where they literally run off to another galaxy and ignore the endings entirely.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's nothing to work out though. It's not a puzzle. There's no prize for analysing the outcomes and deciding to go in a specific canonised direction that by nature makes a portion of the fanbase and their choices redundant. For all we know they did look at the data (which I think ME3 was able to provide, as it helped shape the DLC) and deduced that given what they wanted to do for their direction with the series picking a canon simply wasn't worth it. Like it doesn't matter how intent and analytical they are with trilogy data, or how they handle the outcome, the outcome is still the same; one that makes choices redundant and simply uses fragments of the trilogy outcome, along with potentially new data, as framework for a new story that overrides everyone trilogy outcome anyway.

I remember when this game was first in discussion and I argued my ideal scenario would be to pick a canon (even if it wasn't my own), or make one up, and set it in the same galaxy, post war, in a kind of cold war / post-war depression and use them as central themes. New clans and political empires popping up. Uncharted reaches of space opened up as everyone becomes desperate for resources. I still think that would be really cool, my universe or not. But I don't really think there's anything bold about. It's only as good as they could execute it, and ultimately it's the same shit; create an template that isn't one from my original journey and tell a new story.

And honestly I don't really trust BioWare's writing teams to approach the mangled trilogy ending state and successfully deliver on a canonised post-war game.

Patryn

I would be really annoyed if the chose a canon ending other than synthesis so i hope they just avoid that whole thing.

Why be annoyed if they didn't choose synthesis? Honestly, that would the worst one to pick, if you ask me.

I was always advocating that they should have just picked a modified Destroy where it didn't have any of the bad side effects they had to add so it wasn't the clearest and most obvious choice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ultimate destruction: everyone dead except humans.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Jennifer Hale was recasted into ME Andromeda as squadmate. That'd be rad.

Just please - no Nolan North or Troy Baker.

EatChildren

Fixed that for you.
I actually like Tali a lot, but people took that shit too far.

She has one of the best character arcs in the trilogy.

And the tastiest sweat.

I don't get the anti-Andromeda argument. The original trilogy is over. That story is done. Bioware want to tell a new story, free from the constraints of the many decisions and choices that we all made. I killed Mordin. Killed his ass. I destroyed the Quarians, and never chose Tali for a mission, and she bought it on the suicide mission. Killed Wrex. No regrets. That's the way I wanted my story to go, and to a large degree, I was able to see it through to the end. People I know who played the series played it exactly the opposite. To continue the story with certain characters that I already knew, or places I've already been, but then to tell me that the way I want to play it is impossible because a certain few of the creators wanted to keep Mordin alive? Nah man. Start over. Give me a new story to play. The original series will always be there for me to play again. I'm ready for something new. Bioware is too.

I'd kill that thieving Quarian. When playing no import ME3, I would make sure to make Tali kill herself, then pick destroy so the Geth would die too.

Ralemont

not me
Also, I'm sick of the Citadel. It's been a central hub of three games and the device behind two major plot twists now. Time for some new cool stuff.

What I really care about is multiplayer. ME3 Co-Op is my favorite. It bad better be great. Hopefully they aren't afraid to put tight multiplayer powers in singleplayer.

EatChildren

What I really care about is multiplayer. ME3 Co-Op is my favorite. It bad better be great. Hopefully they aren't afraid to put tight multiplayer powers in singleplayer.

The survey leak implied multiplayer is kinda integrated into single player this time. It's still co-op, but your multiplayer characters are a strike team or something, can be sent on missions for resource, and those missions can be played manually with that character. I guess a bit like how Peace Walker works.

EatChildren

Rannoch was a pretty mixed way to end that arc, though at least is wasnt downright terrible like how they treated Legion and the Geth.

BioWare fucked over Legion and the Geth, but I suppose I should have seen it coming given they've done it to every one of my favourite plot points.

Mindlog

I'm really excited about the possibility the game might deal with you as a commander of this expedition coming into contact with new alien species for the first time and having sex with them.
These worlds are MINE!

My head canon is already way different than the current mainline series. It doesn't really matter what they do. Cerberus was always human STG. Shepard didn't find out about what Cerberus did to the unit until Mass Effect 2 (which is actually Mass Effect 1 because in my universe it goes ME2 Collectors attacking human colonies -> ME1 Saren takes notice and follows up on the Collectors -> ME3)

I hope they successfully execute on the premise that we're the invading force this time.

Frog-fu

Banned
My hope is for more interesting sounding voices with more variety so that when people make minorty characters they don't sound as generic.

Sou Da

My hope is for more interesting sounding voices with more variety so that when people make minorty characters they don't sound as generic.

My hope is that there's no voice acting for the main character so this isn't an issue : ^)

Fruitster

Its going to be a long old wait for this game, but each small bit of info only increases my hype levels. Really hope the devs can do the business and make Andromeda the best Mass Effect yet.

Patryn

My hope is that there's no voice acting for the main character so this isn't an issue : ^)

I 100 percent guarantee you're going to be disappointed.

Bioware is never going to do a silent protagonist ever again.

The most you'll get is a few options for male and female voices.

Jakoo

The funniest thing to me is that by going to Andromeda they are actually completely ignoring everyone's choices in ME3, and the series as a whole. They're not simply picking a particular ending, or the best parts of each that work well together, they're literally throwing them aside and not even looking at them because they have zero bearing on anything. They're useless and irrelevant. Yet most people are totally happy with that. Bizarre.

But Mass Effect 3 was always billed as a trilogy, and that's what it ended up being. My understanding is that most of the lead writers and executive producers of the trilogy have left by now. If that is the case, what good is it to have a new creative team shackled to the decisions of the last creative team?

I ultimately think this is for the better, and I personally had no beefs with ME3 (even the much-hated ending). This will allow the newer storytellers to flex their muscles and own something new instead of playing "reconciliation" with what was already done.

Patryn

But Mass Effect 3 was always billed as a trilogy, and that's what it ended up being. My understanding is that most of the lead writers and executive producers of the trilogy have left by now. If that is the case, what good is it to have a new creative team shackled to the decisions of the last creative team?

I ultimately think this is for the better, and I personally had no beefs with ME3 (even the much-hated ending). This will allow the newer storytellers to flex their muscles and own something new instead of playing "reconciliation" with what was already done.

Sadly, Mac Walters (writer on ME1, co-head writer on ME2, head writer on ME3) is still around.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Officially, all we know is the game is set in Andromeda, has no returning characters, and is "distant in time and space" from the trilogy.

Unofficially, based on grapevine, hints, and teases, the "ark" theory is likely. Wherein sometime during the trilogy an "ark" is sent from the Milky Way to Andromeda on a one way mission to colonise it. Ergo there will be no way to return to or contact the Milky Way, and the significant details of the trilogy will be left ambiguous.

That's the best thing they could have done, a clean break.

More worrying are the leaked story details.

Praying for no crafting shit mainly
I don't mind crafting, i just don't like the dandelion hunting that accompanies it in DAI.

I hope MA-Andromeda decides to take the ME3 multiplayer combat and use it to make single player combat better. I would like team synergy formation to be a heavy part of each mission. The gun variation was much more important to gameplay there too and it needs to carry over.

Yeul

Way back when I was kinda sad that there would be no more Shepard, but now I'm all aboard the Andromeda train and so happy they took this route. I'm ready to start fresh with another character for sure. Like EatChildren said I think trying to consolidate all of those ME choices into an ME4 would have just not been good. I probably wouldn't have entrusted them with that task either. A clean slate is the best possible option.

Sou Da

I 100 percent guarantee you're going to be disappointed.

Bioware is never going to do a silent protagonist ever again.

The most you'll get is a few options for male and female voices.

I'm mostly fucking with him but yeah thanks for reminding me.

Yeul

On that note, really hoping ME: A isn't part 1 of something. Considering the vastness of space BW should turn the ME series into self-contained games.

I don't mind if they create sequels for it a la the first trilogy than say something like Dragon Age, but I just don't want to turn it into a smaller scaled first game then UH OH!!! A secret is unveiled that puts the entire galaxy at risk. At this point based on the leak I guess you could say the ancient alien race called The Remnant or whatever. What's up with them if that's true remains to be seen, but I just don't want it to transform into a game about becoming a savior.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I understand this position, I really do, but I just don't fully agree with it. The state of the ME galaxy post ME3 is a very different place than what it was in ME1/2. The events of the game, not including the endings, alone nearly levels the galaxy. The way the game ended left a lot of room for new avenues and for future games to leave their own mark. Everything was basically reduced to raw clay again.

Andromeda is easier, it sets aside all that baggage from the endings. Which is huge, terrible baggage. It doesn't technically negate or wipe away the events of the originally trilogy and allows the new team to do whatever they want. That's really enticing, I'm not surprised they took it at all.

But personally I would have preferred they channeled that desire to make something new by building on the rubble and ashes of the original series, rather than wiping the slate clean. I don't like side stepping, especially when done to avoid a previous decision that has massive repercussions on a setting.

I want to see how the galaxy rebounds, or doesn't, after the Reaper War. I don't want to pal around with all the same companions and deal with the same conflicts and stupid shit like that, but I like to see settings grow and change overtime based on the events around them and few games offer that opportunity and now it's gone with ME. Andromeda cannot do that ever. I'm still excited for it immensely because I am hopeful for what it can offer in terms of gameplay and exploration, but I won't just ignore the fact that I think without a doubt staying in the Milky Way would have been a much more interesting and worthwhile choice creatively. Probably harder and not without its issues, but in a perfect world it could be something great. Maybe Andromeda is the better choice given the realities of the situation, but that's not exactly my problem.

Ralemont

not me
I don't mind if they create sequels for it a la the first trilogy than say something like Dragon Age, but I just don't want to turn it into a smaller scaled first game then UH OH!!! A secret is unveiled that puts the entire galaxy at risk. At this point based on the leak I guess you could say the ancient alien race called The Remnant or whatever. What's up with them if that's true remains to be seen, but I just don't want it to transform into a game about becoming a savior.

I'd be fine with a less-hands on Dragon Age format, whereby your decisions are kept track of but virtually nothing carries over to new games except perhaps by passing mention in the new setting. I think having another trilogy in the vein of the original would exhaust me, such as the same PC and characters and plot conflict. Like really, another 10 years before this plotline is resolved? The self-contained format limits them to local consequences, but that also opens the opportunity for more variance within that local setting.

Top Bottom