• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Some small updates (voice casting has started, combat, etc)

Anybody have any idea when this is going to be

Thank you again for all of the support you keep showing us, and we’re looking forward to sharing more details with you near the end of the year. Until then, the teams in our Montreal, Edmonton, and Austin studios will be hard at work creating an entirely new adventure for you to lose yourselves in.

Bioware are only doing a DA3 panel at Pax Prime and I can't think of another event.

There is this but it could be anything.

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley Aug 20

Love this time of year, visiting developers around the world to hear about all the great surprises they've been saving for The Game Awards.

Bioware are only doing a DA3 panel at Pax Prime and I can't think of another event.

There is this but it could be anything.

Game Awards or Playstation Experience I would assume.

I'd put money on the PSX myself, as I wouldn't be surprised if they were co-marketing the game with Somy this time given they're the market leader by a mile, and DA3 being massively skewed in the PS4's favour sales wise.

so wait, this game is 2016, and they haven't even cast some roles yet, and it's not in a show-able state?

They might just be keeping their powder dry, and the game is mechanically quite far along, with just more polishing needed to make it look as good as possible.

But after ME3 was a rushed mess, we should all be keeping our expectations in check IMO.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

If not an industry event then simply N7 Day. That would be the most logical place to release more media, as it's also where the first artworks and were revealed.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This is slightly off-topic, but is there no chance of the original ME trilogy getting a remaster on Modern Consoles? I loved the first game, but as someone with only a PS4 now, I'd love the chance to play the others.

diaspora

This is slightly off-topic, but is there no chance of the original ME trilogy getting a remaster on Modern Consoles? I loved the first game, but as someone with only a PS4 now, I'd love the chance to play the others.
EA says they don't care for remasters. Best to play it on one of the 3 available platforms.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The status on a remaster is this:

Officially: EA has stated they're not particularly interested in remasters (across the board), instead moving forward with existing and new IPs. No remaster has been teased or announced.
Unofficially: Aaryn Flynn, general manager of both BW Edmonton and Montreal, has stated he'd like to see it and queried people here on how they'd like to see it done, along with his own preferences. Nothing has been announced.

Personally I don't see it happening any time soon, and while executives bullshit all the time and plans change, I believe EA's statement that they want to focus on new products over old ones remastered. I see BioWare/Edmonton wanting to focus on what Andromeda brings to the series while also starting a new chapter that distances itself from the events of the trilogy, leaving room for a remaster (if it happens) further down the line.

Unless I'm wrong, there's also a bit of a grey area in Unreal Engine 3 licensing? Something like BioWare/EA having not renewed the license, meaning if they were to go back to the code and remaster it the license would need to be renewed, or the content transferred over to Frostbite 3 (which would be a huge job).

diaspora

Of all companys, I'm just surprised it's EA who are turning down the chance to make some easy money.
It's not necessarily easy money though? None of EA's current lineup use UE anymore, I don't think anyone knows if they even have the license for new titles.

Edit: I would appreciate something- anything for Andromeda at VGX/ N7 day.

DMiz

It's not necessarily easy money though? None of EA's current lineup use UE anymore, I don't think anyone knows if they even have the license for new titles.

That's a good point. Not that I mind since their move to Frostbite - it's quite capable and seeing what they were able to mangle out of it into DA:I was promising - and to be honest, a lot of the games they released during that period weren't exactly stunners. I'm not sure a remaster of those titles would promise any astounding increases in visual quality.

First contact war? I don't get it. How this was even a idea? Because as you know, this wasn't even a full scale war. a three-month conflict and there was just one small colony and and a few fleets and before anything got serious, the council intervened to negotiate a peace and bring the war to an end

How you can make a full game from this?

diaspora

That's a good point. Not that I mind since their move to Frostbite - it's quite capable and seeing what they were able to mangle out of it into DA:I was promising - and to be honest, a lot of the games they released during that period weren't exactly stunners. I'm not sure a remaster of those titles would promise any astounding increases in visual quality.

ME1 looks like butt, 2 and 3 though look incredible rendered at 4k with ReShade on top.

edit: I agree that DAI's a stunner, even more so considering it's a cross-gen title. I can't wait to see what they can pull off on current-gen/PC only.

Puweyxil

Banned
I'm so happy the Mako is coming back. I know that it's presence and function in ME1 wasn't for a lot of people, but I was never one of those people.

Patryn

First contact war? I don't get it. How this was even a idea? Because as you know, this wasn't even a full scale war. a three-month conflict and there was just one small colony and and a few fleets and before anything got serious, the council intervened to negotiate a peace and bring the war to an end

How you can make a full game from this?
Bioware has slowly been retconning things to make it a massive war in other media.

There's definitely someone in those offices who is really interested in it and pushed it. Luckily the fan base let them know it's a terrible idea.

Even though it was a problem of their own making, I am glad they are saying we probably wont have any direct connections to the previous trilogy. Mass Effect 1-3 had a definitive middle and end, but the universe Bioware created has potential for endless expansion. To me, Mass Effect 1 felt like Bioware's version of Star Trek, with potential for deeper lore and countless "episodes", and I think it'd be wise both from a stor and business perspective to look at tis franchise like that.

Frog-fu

Banned
Game Awards or Playstation Experience I would assume.

I'd put money on the PSX myself, as I wouldn't be surprised if they were co-marketing the game with Somy this time given they're the market leader by a mile, and DA3 being massively skewed in the PS4's favour sales wise.

I'd say not a chance Sony picked up the marketing rights. Mass Effect started out as a Xbox exclusive and has always co-marketed with Xbox, I don't see them ever letting those rights lap.

If Spencer is to believed, console sales are relevant to who gets the rights because platform holders still need to pay for them.

It'll probably be The Game Awards, or N7 Day.

I'd say not a chance Sony picked up the marketing rights. Mass Effect started out as a Xbox exclusive and has always co-marketed with Xbox, I don't see them ever letting those rights lap.

If Spencer is to believed, console sales are relevant to who gets the rights because platform holders still need to pay for them.

It'll probably be The Game Awards, or N7 Day.

This is the same year Microsoft lost the Call of Duty DLC coming first to their consoles, and beyond all that, EA and Sony have been extremely close when it comes to co-marketing this generation.

diaspora

This is the same year Microsoft lost the Call of Duty DLC coming first to their consoles, and beyond all that, EA and Sony have been extremely close when it comes to co-marketing this generation.

AFAIK Sony/EA so far are only co-marketing Battlefront, a game that's going to have the beta first on Xbox anyway.

edit: That doesn't mean it won't happen but "extremely close" seems like a bit of a stretch.

Frog-fu

Banned

MS didn't lose the deal, they let it lapse. It wasn't helping enough and was a waste of money.

EA and Sony aren't that chummy considering they've only got Battlefront co-marketing atm (and Hardline before that didn't do so well so I doubtb they'll repeat that) and that game can still be played earlier on XB1. Every other big title I can think of is still being marketed for XB1.

Much as Phil Spencer had focused his attentions to first party deals, he has stated there will be third party dealings and I don't think he'll let ME:A slip out their grasp.

diaspora

MS didn't lose the deal, they let it lapse. It wasn't helping enough and was a waste of money.

EA and Sony aren't that chummy considering they've only got Battlefront co-marketing atm (and Hardline before that didn't do so well so I doubtb they'll repeat that) and that game can still be played earlier on XB1. Every other big title I can think of is still being marketed for XB1.

Much as Phil Spencer had focused his attentions to first party deals, he has stated there will be third party dealings and I don't think he'll let ME:A slip out their grasp.

I'm not sure it even matters if they can get content first on Access anyway.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm not sure it even matters if they can get content first on Access anyway.

If I'm Sony and I've shelved out millions of dollars to get exclusive marketing rights to one if the biggest games of the year, it damn sure matters the rival platform gets access to it first.

For what it's worth, I think Access is inevitable on PS4. I see no reason why Sony wouldn't allow it in the long run.

diaspora

If I'm Sony and I've shelved out millions of dollars to get exclusive marketing rights to one if the biggest games of the year, it damn sure matters the rival platform gets access to it first.

For what it's worth, I think Access is inevitable on PS4. I see no reason why Sony wouldn't allow it in the long run.

Tough shit for the Battlefront marketing deal then since Access gets the beta first?

Frog-fu

Banned
Tough shit for the Battlefront marketing deal then since Access gets the beta first?

Yeah, it is tough shit, which is why the other poster's claim EA and Sony have been "extremely" close is an exaggeration.

Which brings me back to my original point that MS is highly unlikely to pass up on ME marketing, and I think EA will be more open to them for all the old reasons as well as EA Access which I'm betting will get a beta for ME.

diaspora

Yeah, it is tough shit, which is why the other poster's claim EA and Sony have been "extremely" close is an exaggeration.

Which brings me back to my original point that MS is highly unlikely to pass up on ME marketing, and I think EA will be more open to them for all the old reasons as well as EA Access which I'm betting will get a beta for ME.

I know, I was agreeing with you >.>

My point was MS has the least to worry about considering their relationship with EA is still strong considering Access.

prag16

Banned
Just forego the tedious stuff like MMO-esque systems and elements, crafting, etc, and I'm happy. Still sad we have to wait over a year more for this. :(

Also, Casey Hudson is now at Microsoft Studios, and ME1 was the game they used to show BC at E3.

Sanctuary

It's kind of sad that Biotic Charge is his favorite ability. It was the best ability since ME2. Hopefully Adepts don't feel like second class citizens, with a heavy reliance on squad members for combos this time. They worked well enough in the third game, were probably the worst class in the game in ME2 on anything above Normal other than maybe the Engineer or Sentinel and gods in the first game. So was the Vanguard, but Vanguards have been gods in each of the games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's kind of sad that Biotic Charge is his favorite ability. It was the best ability since ME2. Hopefully Adepts don't feel like second class citizens, with a heavy reliance on squad members for combos this time. They worked well enough in the third game, were probably the worst class in the game in ME2 on anything above Normal other than maybe the Engineer or Sentinel and gods in the first game. So was the Vanguard, but Vanguards have been gods in each of the games.

Any class works well for any difficulty as long as you play smart and bring along the right squadmates. I know people who beat Insanity as a Sentinel and an Adapt.

I loved the Sentinel as I felt it was perfect for any situation. I liked engineer and/or Adept, but I found they had too many abilities that I didn't need. For the sentinel I made use of every single ability so much that I found it hard to choose a bonus power.

Sanctuary

Any class works well for any difficulty as long as you play smart and bring along the right squadmates. I know people who beat Insanity as a Sentinel and an Adapt.

Oh please, give me a break. This isn't about "beating the game" on any diffculty with any class. I know the game can be beaten with any class on any difficulty. I've finished the game with all of them on Insanity, and the Solider, Vanguard and Infiltrator are hands down the best three on that difficulty without question. It's not even close. Adepts went from extremely fun to extremely monotonous, and Sentinel armor doesn't really do much above Veteran. It allows you to take 1-2 hits and that's about all it's good for.

Also, with how brain dead the squad AI is, they go down quick on the higher difficulties. Why take cover when you can eat a rocket sandwich instead? If your "combo partner" dies while playing an Adept, the gameplay slows to a crawl until you can revive them, while the Vanguard would be soloing most of the time anyway, and the Soldier (after the Widowmaker) has no issues picking everyone off alone as well.

BouncyFrag

Might as well just cast Steve Blum as every character, save them some money.
If they've got Blum, just clone a bunch a Grunts and have Oghren as the grizzled, veteran quarter master who doesn't allow the use of guns, only big, two-handed battleaxes. Oghren is also the only love interest in the game and you have to romance him to beat the game. Just imagine the ten minute, unskipable pillow talk cutscenes. 😘

Renekton

In ME3 MP, biotics were top tier for the longest time because of the AOE. Vanguards (as long as you're host and can kite synckills) were up there too due to invincibility frames.

If they've got Blum, just clone a bunch a Grunts and have Oghren as the grizzled, veteran quarter master who doesn't allow the use of guns, only big, two-handed battleaxes. Oghren is also the only love interest in the game and you have to romance him to beat the game. Just imagine the ten minute, unskipable pillow talk cutscenes. 😘

Also add in Gorim, have him, Grunt and Oghren have a burping contest.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oh please, give me a break. This isn't about "beating the game" on any diffculty with any class. I know the game can be beaten with any class on any difficulty. I've finished the game with all of them on Insanity, and the Solider, Vanguard and Infiltrator are hands down the best three on that difficulty without question. It's not even close. Adepts went from extremely fun to extremely monotonous, and Sentinel armor doesn't really do much above Veteran. It allows you to take 1-2 hits and that's about all it's good for.

Also, with how brain dead the squad AI is, they go down quick on the higher difficulties. Why take cover when you can eat a rocket sandwich instead? If your "combo partner" dies while playing an Adept, the gameplay slows to a crawl until you can revive them, while the Vanguard would be soloing most of the time anyway, and the Soldier (after the Widowmaker) has no issues picking everyone off alone as well.

Calm the fuck down. No reason to act like a butthurt titty baby over an opinion.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Bioware has slowly been retconning things to make it a massive war in other media.

There's definitely someone in those offices who is really interested in it and pushed it. Luckily the fan base let them know it's a terrible idea.

I think its people just being tired of prequels in general. Many (including me) feel that it gives them an excuse to not create an interesting story and not have to come up with a conclusion.

Top Bottom