• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Doodis

Lostconfused said:
man, thats a bit spoilerish but its soooooo good.
You mean the trailer? If so, you've got a high spoiler threshold. Don't look now, but there are aliens in the game! Spoiler!

Picked up a copy of Mass Effect this morning. Here's how it went down....

K-Mart: Electronics, can I help you?

Me: Do you have any copies of Mass Effect for 360?

K-Mart: Master Effects?

Me: No, Mass Effect.

K-Mart: Master Effect

Me: No, MASS EFFECT

K-Mart: Mass Effects, let me check

Me: *sigh*

K-Mart: Yes, we have Master Effect. 59.99

Me: You mean Mass Effect...

They had 10 copies.

MCermak

PistolPete said:

They had 10 copies.

But where, dammit!?

Also, could you help a fellow GAFer out? I'll totally paypal you the money and throw down some extra for good shipping if you could grab me one and send it to MN. I've got a friend leaving for his tour on the 22 and we really wanted to play this together like we did KOTOR. But theres no time, man!

Eric WK

Bleh. Just called my K-Mart and they don't have it.

Just as well, with AC just around the corner and COD4 in my 360.

PistolPete said:

They had 10 copies.

G. T. F. O.

:O

tak

Eric WK said:
Bleh. Just called my K-Mart and they don't have it.

Just as well, with AC just around the corner and COD4 in my 360.
From my experience is hard when you're trying to get a game before street date. You have to make sure you get the same person that talked to you on the phone or you run the risk coming across someone else that cares about the street date. The people that don't care about the street are normally few and far between, at least in my area.

Doodis said:
You mean the trailer? If so, you've got a high spoiler threshold. Don't look now, but there are aliens in the game! Spoiler!

Actually i was talking about potentialy sacrificing Ashley, but you know, whatever.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah. I didn't think the commercial was that accurate thematically.

Well "I had to make a choice" is a nice line if cliche, i just dont like it how she is so understanding. I wish there would be a couple of character that would tell you off for being a heartless bastard.

Tieno

PistolPete said:

They had 10 copies.
Sounds like straight out of a simpsons episode :lol

Uncle

Lostconfused said:
Well "I had to make a choice" is a nice line if cliche, i just dont like it how she is so understanding. I wish there would be a couple of character that would tell you off for being a heartless bastard.

I'm fairly certain that there will be confrontations with your characters.
I made a thread about a video showing one, but it's spoiler stuff so be warned.

papercut

I'm pretty excited about this game, but watching IGN's video on the combat made me a little worried that I'd be popping up that wheel menu every two seconds to use powers. Someone tell me that it's not as bad as it looks.

Uncle

papercut said:
I'm pretty excited about this game, but watching IGN's video on the combat made me a little worried that I'd be popping up that wheel menu every two seconds to use powers. Someone tell me that it's not as bad as it looks.

From what I've read it depends very heavily on how the player want's to play the game.

Tieno

papercut said:
You can use the wheel as much or as little as you want. If you use it a lot you can almost turn it into turn based system, if that's your thing.

papercut

Okay...so technically it's possible to play the game as an FPS with your favorite ability mapped to the X button, rite? I say this because usually I don't get involved enough in these types of games to get really creative with the combat. I mostly play for story.

Uncle said:
I'm fairly certain that there will be confrontations with your characters.
I made a thread about a video showing one, but it's spoiler stuff so be warned.

The one with Wrex right? Well Wrex is very pissed off on his best days.

Scribble

Lostconfused said:

Wrex, the Garrus lookalike and Carth 3 would probably do that.

Scribble said:
Wrex, the Garrus lookalike and Carth 3 would probably do that.

Well they are not exactly the same.

Also, care to elaborate on the bolded part? Garrus is the party member, Saren the villain and Nihilus the specter in the beginning of the game.

Scribble

Lostconfused said:
Well they are not exactly the same.

Also, care to elaborate on the bolded part? Garrus is the party member, Saren the villain and Nihilus the specter in the beginning of the game.

Oh, sorry. I meant Saren lookalike.

I've been trying to go on a media blackout, y'see (Which has been going well, till some stupid bastard on GameFAQs put a certain spoiler in his topic title)

Snaku

Banned
I hit three Kmarts, and no Mass Effect. =(

This is the last time I make this futile trek. Nobody breaks street date in the Tampa area. Nobody.

methodman

Banned
Snaku said:

This is the last time I make this futile trek. Nobody breaks street date in the Tampa area. Nobody.

Having a game 2 weeks early is worth it IMO. Most of the K-Marts around me closed down already though, hopefully I can find one and check it out (I'm in San Jose)

methodman said:
Having a game 2 weeks early is worth it IMO. Most of the K-Marts around me closed down already though, hopefully I can find one and check it out (I'm in San Jose)
I called San Mateo (he said they might have it tomorrow and that they'd already had a bunch of calls about it) and Redwood City (they don't have it but he said they generally get deliveries on Tuesday).

methodman

Banned
Cornballer said:
I called San Mateo (he said they might have it tomorrow and that they'd already had a bunch of calls about it) and Redwood City (they don't have it but he said they generally get deliveries on Tuesday).

I just checked KMart.com - they have no stores around me for 25 miles. If for sure one of these stores has it I'll take the drive, but otherwise that's a long ass drive just for checking lol

Scarecrow

Snaku said:

Not so fast. I picked up Bioshock a week early from Toys R Us here in tampa.

bounchfx

tried two stores, both sold out YESTERDAY. Ugh.

trying one more. They really need to cut this fucking street dating shit and just sell games when they come in. I really doubt it will (mass) effect sales much

bounchfx

so I just tried Toys R Us, get this:

'Hey, do you guys have Mass Effect in yet?'

'We do.. but It's street dated.. sorry'

'oh, K mart has been selling them but they are all sold out so I thought I'd try here.'

'Sorry, it says right on the box that it's street dated for the 13th'

'The 13th?'

'yes.'

'Mass effect??'

'Yes, we will have it for sale on tuesday'

uh, anyone find this strange? it specifically said the 13th - maybe a surprise launch of a week earlier? anyone think it's possible? Either way, I'm picking this bitch up tuesday morning with Galaxy and Assassins.

bounchfx said:

'oh, K mart has been selling them but they are all sold out so I thought I'd try here.'

'The 13th?'

'yes.'

'Mass effect??'

uh, anyone find this strange? it specifically said the 13th - maybe a surprise launch of a week earlier? anyone think it's possible? Either way, I'm picking this bitch up tuesday morning with Galaxy and Assassins.

What area was that? If this is true, I will gladly get Galaxy and then immediately proceed get Mass Effect for $35.

bounchfx said:

'The 13th?'

'yes.'

'Mass effect??'

Or string out any old lie to get you into the store come Tuesday?

bounchfx

it was the chicago area,

and I was going there tuesday anyway for Galaxy (thanks free 25$), so it's not a loss.

"Or string out any old lie to get you into the store come Tuesday?"

and what would it matter normally if I went there tuesday? If they didn't have it, I wouldn't buy it. Not really a loss since it's a minute drive from here

Sea

play.com have the 16th as the release date, could just be a mistake but if it isnt it does mean you can get the game a week early in uk :)

Top Bottom