• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mastodon appreciation: the best band on earth | 'Once More 'Round The Sun' out now

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, ranking time? This album is a worthy Mastodon record, no two way about it! The first two times it didn't click with me either but same can be said about Crack the Skye which is my favourite album of theirs now.

The great thing about 'Round The Sun is that there's not a single filler song on it. Ember City and Aunt Lisa are some of the best things they've ever one, in my opinion. Also Diamonds in the Witchhouse...listen to that on full volume!

For me it's:
Crack The Skye > Leviathan = Sun >The Hunter > Blood Mountain > Remission

bounchfx

Holy fuck I didn't even realize they had something new coming out. I absolutely love the rest of their stuff, especially Crack the Skye, so hearing its closer to that makes me so happy. Found it on youtube, listening now.

gimmmick

Leviathan will always have a spot on my ipod.

Very solid band live.

303418_2949691670994_363221404_n.jpg

Denzar

I wonder how many people "don't like it" only on the merits of it being poppy, accesible and cleaner than the older records. For some people that is reason enough to be put off, 'cause they don't like admitting they like something poppy/catchy/that is a departure from previous material.

I like this album. I know on paper it's a bad record for them ( I mean technically). But it's a catchy metal album. So as its own thing I'm enjoying it. I can totally understand why fans or enthusiasts of the kind of music they make would be let down though. It is pretty slow/simplified. And the vocals aren't always so hot. But for whatever reason I'm enjoying it!
I thought at first that you said this too casually. But it's not getting that well received critically. So your opinion is common.

Crazy

I'm glad I formmed my opinion of this babby on my own because I really like it. I don't care about how pop it is. I like the sounds-it's them and I like them so like this.

Prodigal

Banned
I wonder how many people "don't like it" only on the merits of it being poppy, accesible and cleaner than the older records. For some people that is reason enough to be put off, 'cause they don't like admitting they like something poppy/catchy/that is a departure from previous material.

I can easily admit amongst the sight of gods and men that I don't like this album as much as their previous ones because of their transition into more melodic territory. I like Mastodon when they play metal, simple as that. 'Round the Sun is an enjoyable listen, but it doesn't quite whet my appetite for what I've come to expect Mastodon to produce. Sure, bands evolve and their sound changes. However I would have preferred them to have taken the other path to hone in on their heavy and aggressive style rather than focusing on hooks and catchy riffs. Mastodon is at their best when they can juggle these two styles seamlessly as evidenced on Blood Mountain, but for now they have polished off all the edges that gave them that onslaught of sound I've come to love.

Kaladin

I can easily admit amongst the sight of gods and men that I don't like this album as much as their previous ones because of their transition into more melodic territory. I like Mastodon when they play metal, simple as that. 'Round the Sun is an enjoyable listen, but it doesn't quite whet my appetite for what I've come to expect Mastodon to produce. Sure, bands evolve and their sound changes. However I would have preferred them to have taken the other path to hone in on their heavy and aggressive style rather than focusing on hooks and catchy riffs. Mastodon is at their best when they can juggle these two styles seamlessly as evidenced on Blood Mountain, but for now they have polished off all the edges that gave them that onslaught of sound I've come to love.

This also explains why I no longer like Baroness as much as I used to, Yellow And Green just wasn't what Red and even Blue were.

Still, this new Mastodon album is better than The Hunter.

Mononoke

Banned
I thought at first that you said this too casually. But it's not getting that well received critically. So your opinion is common.

Crazy

I'm glad I formmed my opinion of this babby on my own because I really like it. I don't care about how pop it is. I like the sounds-it's them and I like them so like this.

I really like the album too! I'm enjoying it a lot. But I can still see why fans wouldn't like it. To be clear, when I said this is a "technically bad" album, I meant by the standards of their past music. That doesn't mean I think it's actually a bad album. I know that sounds kind of douchey. I'm just putting the album into perspective of the kind of music they make. And I GET why some fans of this genre don't like it (ie. riffs aren't as fast or diverse, the song arrangements aren't as progressive and are more simplified, the vocals are kind of poppy).

I get it. But I'm really enjoying the shit out of this album. I think it's a really good album for what it's going for.

This album kind of reminds me of Tool's 10,000 Days. What I mean is, compared to their past material, 10,000 Days is a bit more accessible. Especially compared too Aanema and Lateralus. But you know what, 10,000 Days really hits the spot for me. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to their more complex material, and 10,000 Days accessible catchy sound hits that sweet spot for me. (inb4 someone chews me out and says 10,000 Days is just as technically complex as their older albums).

*ducks*

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I don't mind the change of direction and the more poppy approach, I welcome it. But it just hasn't resulted in memorable songs. Don't get me wrong, I like the album, but compared to other work... It just pales in comparison. There's little to nothing here that will stand the test of time.

Denzar

I don't mind the change of direction and the more poppy approach, I welcome it. But it just hasn't resulted in memorable songs. Don't get me wrong, I like the album, but compared to other work... It just pales in comparison. There's little to nothing here that will stand the test of time.

I agree with you guys, but we gave this record several spins. The more accessible approach turns listening into a more superficial experience. I've listened to Crack the Skye a million times, yet I still discover new riffs or other elements every time. I don't see this happening with Once More, or at least not with an equally high frequency.

But I'm talking about people not giving this record a fair chance because they are jaded and because it's a popular band, that has made their sound more approachable. People that can't accept the fact that mainstream and popular music can also be really good.

I can't wait to hear them butcher all of these overproduced vocals live.

Album is alright, probably their worst but they're still an enjoyable band.

Denzar

I can't wait to hear them butcher all of these overproduced vocals live.

Album is alright, probably their worst but they're still an enjoyable band.

Saw them twice live already, one time right before Blood Mountain was around and they really did butcher those clean vocals. The second time though, was the The Hunter tour and they nailed EVERYTHING. It was mind blowing. They crushed it. One of the best performances of my life, and I've seen a ton of different bands. They countered the lack of "studio magic" by effectively using vocal harmonies on stage.

I'm seeing them again on Friday, I'll tell you how the cleans were.

Been listening to this for the last three or so hours at work (had no idea this was already on Spotify!), and I've gone from being OK with it to somewhat disappointed. I mean, nothing's really jumped out at me yet (except the kids singing on Aunt Lisa, which killed maybe the best song on the album, WTF?) and that's the problem. The jam at the end of Halloween is pretty good, Asleep in the Deep is allright, but everything else is just sort of forgettable.

My absolute standout tracks are

Halloween
The Motherload
Asleep in the Deep
Tread Lightly

All of these are fantastic to me.

And these are really growing on me

Chimes at Midnight (That intro)
Ember City (The riff in the chorus and the solo's)
Feast Your Eyes
Aunt Lisa
and slowly, Diamond in the Witch House is creeping on me.

Saw them twice live already, one time right before Blood Mountain was around and they really did butcher those clean vocals. The second time though, was the The Hunter tour and they nailed EVERYTHING. It was mind blowing. They crushed it. One of the best performances of my life, and I've seen a ton of different bands. They countered the lack of "studio magic" by effectively using vocal harmonies on stage.

I've seen them tour on every album since Leviathan. Their vocals are always bad live. They've definitely gotten better but they're still nowhere near as good as... well everything else they do live. Brent especially.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't get why you guys like Asleep in the Deep, one of their weakest songs in general imo.

Great
Thread Lightly
Aunt Lisa
Halloween
Diamond in the Witch House

Good
Motherload
Ember City
High Road

Meh
Chimes at Midnight
Once More Round The Sun

Bad
Feast Your Eyes
Asleep in the Deep

CassSept

I've seen them tour on every album since Leviathan. Their vocals are always bad live. They've definitely gotten better but they're still nowhere near as good as... well everything else they do live. Brent especially.

Yeah I've heard them once from a distance and once from under the scene and while most of the music was great the vocals were absolutely dreadful and soured the entire experience for me. One of the few metal bands that sound better on records than live. I was quite surprised when I read past posts in this thread that they are great live, I sadly can't get over Brent's voice live.

I've seen them 3 times and they were absolutely locked in during the Heritage Hunter tour.
W/ Opeth...who I actually like a little bit more *ducks*
They absolutely destroyed that night.

Sidenote: I met both bands at a diner right across from the venue. Brann was there with his grandparents who were both decked out in Mastodon gear. It was so fucking metal and adorable at the same time.

Anyway, I like the new album, but it hasn't grown on me the way that Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye did. It's on par with Hunter IMO.

eagledare

I've seen them 3 times and they were absolutely locked in during the Heritage Hunter tour.
W/ Opeth...who I actually like a little bit more *ducks*
They absolutely destroyed that night.

Sidenote: I met both bands at a diner right across from the venue. Brann was there with his grandparents who were both decked out in Mastodon gear. It was so fucking metal and adorable at the same time.

Anyway, I like the new album, but it hasn't grown on me the way that Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye did. It's on par with Hunter IMO.

Spun the album a couple of times today and this is my take as well. Really enjoying it, as much as I enjoyed Hunter, but not as much as Leviathan, Blood Mountain, or CtS. Must've been awesome to meet them and Opeth in person.

I don't get why you guys like Asleep in the Deep, one of their weakest songs in general imo.
Damn man we share a like for Halloween, but I love Asleep In The Deep as well. It has this nice catchy trippy guitar feel that reminds me of Sleeping Giant, and the vocal verse melody being sung by Brent or Brann (hard to tell sometimes) is haunting IMO. It reminds me of the equally wonderful chorus in Halloween. It's a great melody. And then the song descends into this weird bridge that I also like, it reminds me of something from Blood Mountain. I think it's a really strong song. And I also like the lyrics seems to be talking about spirits and death (recurring throughout the album) and even the song title Asleep in The Deep seems to refer to death. The song just has a cool dream like vibe to it, and someone described it as "almost pretty" which I find accurate. Give it a few listens and see if it hooks you, I didn't quite get it at first. If not, to each his own!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Give it a few listens and see if it hooks you, I didn't quite get it at first. If not, to each his own!

Gave it one more chance today driving back from work, just nope on this track all around :p

Some reviews:
Pitchfork gives it a 6.3

For two records now, Mastodon have jettisoned the overarching concepts of old for a simpler mission: to be a hard rock band making hard rock records. Clearly, though, they’re not willing to abandon their proggy roots entirely, leaving listeners (as well as themselves) trapped between two modes: the straightforward wallop of Foo Fighters-style rock, and the hard, nasty sludge of old. They never fully commit to either extreme, resulting in a frustratingly liminal listen.

Metalsucks 4/5
Despite my reservations about Once More ‘Round The Sun, the more I get to know it the more the songs are getting stuck in my head and I am increasingly able to comprehend the band’s overall vision. Somehow straddling the line between dark and sunny, with plenty moments of deceptive heaviness-you-didnt-realize-was-quite-so-heavy and a penchant for the bizarre

MadSexual

Finishing up my first listen now. I'm going to go against the grain and declare "Halloween" as my second or third least favorite song at the moment."Diamond in the Witch House" is great, however. Best song they've done since Crack the Skye.

After the first playthrough, I like this album at least three times as much as The Hunter. Let's see how it ages now.

Rootbeer

Banned
May well not be the best track on the album, but I love the music video for High Road.

Great to have some new tracks from these guys. Still digging their new stuff, which is more than you can say for some bands you've been following for more than 10 years.

Gunztrix

If your lookking for prog then this is Mastodons weakest effort to date (hunter>once more). No real stand out songs and the single are just forgettable. Bran Dailor takes a safer routh in this album. Listeners looking for prog should turn a blind eye to this album. The "Riff Kings" left their crown at home so they can fit in.

If your looking for an aggressive pop rock album, then this is a pretty good album.

Prodigal

Banned
Man, I'm spinning Remission right now and it's amazing how much things have changed. Brann, what happened to your snare sound?! It used to be such a nice counter-balance to the sludgy guitar tones. Fuck, that album was good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Saw them the day before yesterday and damn, they slayed. Even the clean vocals were pretty much spot on.

Graspop?

Gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised by that. When I was listening to the songs I kept thinking that it'd be hard to get them right live.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Wanted to love the new album but it's just really underwhelming. Nothing stands out really (though I like Tread Lightly) and every time I've listened to it I get left feeling "was that it?"

Coins

Banned
I love reading discussion about Mastodon. So many people have love for the early stuff. I'm a latecomer to the band because harsh vocals sound terrible to me, but I absolutely love their last three albums. The Hunter is one of my favorite albums ever. Songs like The Creature and The Sparrow are so good. I hope they keep evolving.

I love it. I see this as their 'Black Album' etc.... It's more mainstream, yes, but the music is just amazing.

I don't care if a song is catchy, it's not like it's a bad thing, lol.

Fucking love this album, its been on repeat since I got it! \m/

Onikaan

I'm more likely to say I'm disappointed with the material this time around. I've been a fan since Leviathan and I come to expect a certain something from Mastodon. That's why I follow them in the first place.

This time around they didn't provide the experience that I'm used to from there records. The Hunter hinted at a change up in what they were doing (like moving away from concept albums) and I wasn't sure about that album either. They may even eventually move away from the sound for good, but that's up to them and if people enjoy it, good.

I do/will miss their old noise though.

Denzar

Graspop?

Gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised by that. When I was listening to the songs I kept thinking that it'd be hard to get them right live.

Jeppp. Pleasantly surprised as well. When they started playing "The Motherload" (which is all Brann singing and drumming at the same time) I was very apprehensive, but it sounded great. It was on the money. Really really surprised. Weird setlist as well. They even played "Circle of Cysquatch".

I love it. I see this as their 'Black Album' etc.... It's more mainstream, yes, but the music is just amazing.

I don't care if a song is catchy, it's not like it's a bad thing, lol.

Fucking love this album, its been on repeat since I got it! \m/

Same here. Haven't really listened to anything else at work or at home but Once More 'Round The Sun.

I'm more likely to say I'm disappointed with the material this time around. I've been a fan since Leviathan and I come to expect a certain something from Mastodon. That's why I follow them in the first place.

This time around they didn't provide the experience that I'm used to from there records. The Hunter hinted at a change up in what they were doing (like moving away from concept albums) and I wasn't sure about that album either. They may even eventually move away from the sound for good, but that's up to them and if people enjoy it, good.

I do/will miss their old noise though.

I completely understand, and I do also miss the sound of the earlyer records but I welcome the change.

Been jamming this album for 2 weeks. Gotta say it holds up very well. I love every single song on the album. Especially fucking Chimes at Midnight. Even High Road creeped on me and I love it now.

Solid album that goes very well with the rest of their discography.

Well, after two weeks listening this new record my opinion is totally set: Worst Mastodon album ever. There isn't a single track that I can qualify as memorable. I've listened it a lot of times while working and I don't even notice when the album ends. That speaks a lot about how uninteresting is to me.

Now, this doesn't change at all the very positive view I have of the band. One or two crappy albums from any band can happen and it's not a big deal to me.

Kudos to all of you guys that dig it, keep enjoying it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom