• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Math is hard days from launch, where is Starfield's marketing?

Antwix

As an XBOX owner with the Starfield preordered, sure.

Firstly, go an watch 10 youtube/tiktok vids about vacuum cleaners and then see what those apps/websites algorithms show you the next time you visit.

Secondly, could you show us these add? As with OP, I haven't seen any or any hands on gameplay outside of what Bethesda controls.
I understand ads are targeted. I started seeing it a lot after watching a few BG3 videos. I'm not gonna waste my time watching YouTube videos about vacuum cleaners. ???

The ad I saw wasn't showing gameplay. It was just the typical CGI type ad. 30 seconds long I believe. I don't know how long this ad has been going on since I have an adblocker on PC and I saw this on the TV app, which I sporadically use.

TrueGrime

Absolutely. 23 days, not 18. My mistake. I'll ask a mod to change the title. Again my mistake.

The point however, remains the same.

WHAT. Bro. You didn't even mean to NOT count the weekends because if you didn't I could at least understand that a little but... LMAO.

Maybe try turning off adblock or perhaps you're just not consuming the type of media a lot of the marketing is aimed at?

It's very hard to cover all the bases in advertising as media is so fragmented and spread out compared to the 360 era.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Yet, outside of the core, there doesn't seem to be much awareness.

Source?

#1 most wishlisted on Steam for months. It’s tracking better preorder positions than Elden Ring or Hogwarts Legacy on Steam. A month from release, it’s the 3rd highest paid game on Steam top sellers, just behind BG3 and Remnant 2.

I wouldn’t be concerned about this game with respect to awareness. As long as it lands at the required quality level, it’ll sell millions, quickly enough.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Math is hard days from launch, where is Starfield's marketing?​

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

I feel like this game is still a big question mark.

That early access edition is tempting but definitely going to wait until this is in game pass to play it.

adamsapple

Source?

#1 most wishlisted on Steam for months. It’s tracking better preorder positions than Elden Ring or Hogwarts Legacy on Steam. A month from release, it’s the 3rd highest paid game on Steam top sellers, just behind BG3 and Remnant 2.

I wouldn’t be concerned about this game with respect to awareness. As long as it lands at the required quality level, it’ll sell millions, quickly enough.

The global marketing is there, the thread has already backfired spectacularly.

Wasn't expecting him to get caught using an alt though.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Since they are essentially giving the game away for free on GamePass, does it make sense to pour multiple millions into marketing? It's not like they are hoping to get people excited enough to plop down $60 to buy it on Day 1. People don't have to pay for it. So it doesn't make sense that they would go all-out with marketing, in the same way as other companies relying on a more traditional model would. They'd still have to let people know it's on GP, but they don't need Day 1 hype built up the way other games do.

Pelta88

Interesting. Just last week you said

UpwcjXZ.jpg

Where did you finally see the independent gameplay that drove you to preorder?

Aren’t you OP?

You are trying too hard.

How is posting me saying the same exact thing, from a different thread some type of win or gotcha? Also, your reading comprehension must be compromised if you think me saying "As with OP" is another gotcha. Referencing a post I made earlier, is just that.

But given your history, I understand that you see my OP as an attack on the IP, as opposed to me asking a question.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
For this reason I cannot find the hype for starfield in me…

Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Well then now your comment is vaguely on topic :D

I also struggle to get mega hyped. Not because of anything Bethesda or the Starfield has done, more because we've had so many botched releases lately. I have very little confidence that Starfield won't be riddled with bugs on release. Attitude these days (seemingly for everything except Nintendo first party and maybe a few exceptions) seems to be "release it now, we can patch it later, fuck em".

KXVXII9X

Starfield has been positioned by XBOX as XBOX's most important ip in a generation. Yet, outside of the core, there doesn't seem to be much awareness. Which is where marketing kicks in and raises awareness that the games release is imminent. XBOX is no stranger to impressive and impactful marketing on TV and social media. However, with the game releasing in just 23 days, silence.

Even worse, and perhaps this is just my personal preference, there has been zero hands on gameplay. Sure, we got the studios deep dive but with the gaming industry being what it is, I've always valued independent gameplay hands on to get a better sense of the game beyond carefully selected segments presented by the studio itself. And again, nothing?

For a game carrying the proverbial weight of XBOX on its shoulders, a lack of marketing and hands on, independent gameplay, is interesting to say the least.

EDIT
Mods please change title to 23 days instead of 18. My math is unacceptable.
I am pretty excited about the game, but I do always have a little bit of concern when a big game is close to release without being shown raw footage or much gameplay. It had that huge showcase which did show a lot, but I don't think it is unreasonable to want more shown. The marketing for this game has been odd from the start. They announced it ages ago with years between with no real footage and then they started teasing the game for almost two years with no gameplay. I haven't seen any ads or real promos since that showcase. I remember how much that last Zelda TotK trailer took a lot of worries away from people who were still skeptical. I hope they have something between now and the launch trailer.

Pelta88

I am pretty excited about the game, but I do always have a little bit of concern when a big game is close to release without being shown raw footage or much gameplay. It had that huge showcase which did show a lot, but I don't think it is unreasonable to want more shown. The marketing for this game has been odd from the start. They announced it ages ago with years between with no real footage and then they started teasing the game for almost two years with no gameplay. I haven't seen any ads or real promos since that showcase. I remember how much that last Zelda TotK trailer took a lot of worries away from people who were still skeptical. I hope they have something between now and the launch trailer.

The defence force is out to subdue anything they see as a slight against the game. That aside, you're 100% on the money.

Given that Starfield has been touted by the top brass as the next big thing and one of the most important ip for XGS, I'm surprised that haven't followed the basic blueprint of hands on and ads on tv/socials. I'm not even suggesting that they wont have a campaign that kicks into gear within the next few days. Undoubtedly as hardcore gamers we're aware of the release (my bad math aside) but beyond that audience of gamers, not so much.

Spider-Man 2 has billboards and trains across Europe, story trailers, and a soon to be released tv ad that debuted at EVO. So far for Starfield which drops in 23 days...

Samsung

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Well then now your comment is vaguely on topic :D

I also struggle to get mega hyped. Not because of anything Bethesda or the Starfield has done, more because we've had so many botched releases lately. I have very little confidence that Starfield won't be riddled with bugs on release. Attitude these days (seemingly for everything except Nintendo first party and maybe a few exceptions) seems to be "release it now, we can patch it later, fuck em".
Sorry I should’ve been more clear :p
I launched oblivion on 360 yesterday. I am so nostalgic for it. But I was hyped easier back then since I was not a grumpy old guy lol

Last edited:

adamsapple

Spider-Man 2 has billboards and trains across Europe, story trailers, and a soon to be released tv ad that debuted at EVO. So far for Starfield which drops in 23 days...

Samsung

Either you're extremely willfully ignorant or you've finally bit the bullet on your biggest fantasy and put me on the ignore list :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just saw this...I wonder how will Xbox push their eco system into the hands of samsung tv owners? Pay for homescreen marketing , flood apps with this? I haven't seen much marketing but this is a bigger deal than I think is being let on. Biggest game of their year doesn't need their console, just a controller. Honestly should bundle new TV's with a controller.

F28zI1dWUAABgI_

supernova8

Banned
Sorry I should’ve been more clear :p
I launched oblivion on 360 yesterday. I am so nostalgic for it. But I was hyped easier back then since I was not a grumpy old guy lol
Oh yeah I remember playing Oblivion on 360 back in the day. I think it was one of the first games for me (on console at least) where you could sort of "go anywhere". Remember wandering around poking my nose into all sorts of business, annoying castle guards and getting killed/put in jail before I managed to make much progress with the main storyline. Good old times!

Griffon

OP what do you mean Microsoft has no marketing? I can spot it all over.

They'll likely rev it up to it's maximum before the release and after Armored Core hogged all the attention.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
You are trying too hard.

How is posting me saying the same exact thing, from a different thread some type of win or gotcha? Also, your reading comprehension must be compromised if you think me saying "As with OP" is another gotcha. Referencing a post I made earlier, is just that.

Same thing?
In one, you claim you won’t buy the game until you see independent gameplay and impressions.

In this thread, you claim you already have Starfield preordered.

I think it’s fair to ask you if you’ve now seen independent impressions.

But given your history, I understand that you see my OP as an attack on the IP, as opposed to me asking a question.

I think there’s more reason to be skeptical about you, considering your post history around Xbox and Starfield.

I am pretty excited about the game, but I do always have a little bit of concern when a big game is close to release without being shown raw footage or much gameplay.

They’ve certainly showed raw footage and raw gameplay, which you weirdly acknowledge in the very next line

It had that huge showcase which did show a lot, but I don't think it is unreasonable to want more shown.

So you agree they’ve definitely showed a lot.
It’s certainly not unreasonable to want more shown, but they’ve already informed you they’ll be featuring new looks at Starfield at Gamescom.

The marketing for this game has been odd from the start. They announced it ages ago with years between with no real footage and then they started teasing the game for almost two years with no gameplay. I haven't seen any ads or real promos since that showcase.

Marketing ramps up leading to release. That’s certainly not a new thing in entertainment

I remember how much that last Zelda TotK trailer took a lot of worries away from people who were still skeptical.

The Starfield Direct went even deeper than that ToTK trailer and certainly propelled the game to excellent preorder and wishlist position on Steam.

I hope they have something between now and the launch trailer.

Attendees will be able to check out exclusive theatre presentations from Bethesda Game Studios’ highly anticipated Starfield, as well as upcoming Xbox Game Studios releases Forza Motorsport from the developers at Turn 10 Studios, and Ara: History Untold from the team at Oxide Games.

Top Bottom