• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MatPat announces retirement from Game Theory and YouTube

Draugoth

Gold Member
matpat-game-theory-1-9-2023-1536x864.jpg

YouTube content creator MatPat (Matthew Robert Patrick) has announced that he’s stepping down from Team Theorist (Film Theory, Food Theory, Game Theory, and Style Theory).

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
For those saying 'who'. This guy has over 18 million subscribers on his game theories channel, this video alone has over 9 million views in under 24 hours. So you may not know who he is but a shit ton of people do.

I'm happy for a shit ton of people, but I'll add my voice to the chorus here: have NEVER heard of this dude or the channels he's involved with. Not even memey or giving the dude a hard time, I just legit have never seen any of his content pop up in recommended or related.

Holammer

I don't hate him, but I reckon he had a bad influence on how developers produce "lore" for games. Not by his fault, but having your game featured on an episode of Game Theory was an amazing meal ticket. So every two-bit dev started to bury the games in mystery boxes, be it codes and symbolism, in one particularly embarrassing moment the devs behind Hello Neighbour desperately tried to catch his attention on Twitter.

FNAF owes much of its viral success to the positive attention Game Theory brought it.

sn0man

For those saying 'who'. This guy has over 18 million subscribers on his game theories channel, this video alone has over 9 million views in under 24 hours. So you may not know who he is but a shit ton of people do.
Thanks. Someone posted videos. The first had boogie, the guy who pretends to be angry, some girl and Geoff.

I knew almost everyone else but not him. Not being sarcastic when I say sorry for those folks that miss him and thanks for letting me know he’s beloved. I personally just didn’t have him even in my vague sphere of a gaming person.

(Back to lamenting the loss of Giant Bomb and screw attack handsom Tom in the format I enjoyed them.)

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I didn't finish it. Why was he crying so much?
Seeing something you built up, having a noticeable effect on gaming discourse among the young, working with people you inspired at a young age, and then realizing you have to say goodbye to it as you are so drained and tired from the content chase that you can’t do it anymore if you want to live a happy life with a family.

wvnative

One of the early guys I used to love watching. He'd do stuff like "Would spoiler have actually died at the end of disc 1?" Or "would you actually survive jumping off a building into a hay-bell?"

They were entertaining and educational with bits of humor sprinkled in. But then he got big, and started doing bullshit like fnaf and minecraft and all sortsa shit like that. got tired and quit watching.

Then I really got mad over a KH video he did. Granted KH is crazy and I imagine not easy to research if you've not played it. But for someone who is clearly dedicated to getting research right, and being informative and is clearly smart, he got some really obvious stuff wrong. I don't think he purposefully half assed it but I saw it as a result of becoming too big, being pressured to talk about what is popular, and having to rush videos.

I jumped off. I think he is a good guy though.

saintjules

Seeing something you built up, having a noticeable effect on gaming discourse among the young, working with people you inspired at a young age, and then realizing you have to say goodbye to it as you are so drained and tired from the content chase that you can’t do it anymore if you want to live a happy life with a family.

Yea I'd be emotional too after all that work.

Not heard or seen of him either until this thread.

I guess some minecraft roblox player or someone that skews into that age group of fans, no idea, it's worlds within worlds on youtube and beyond.

That's a hefty amount of views so good luck to him, sounds like he had a very good run and knows it's time.

Woopah

Have people literally never heard anyone say

"But that's just a theory... A GAME THEORY" in a bitchy whiney voice randomly online?

This is the guy... right here who did that.
That's the line that immediately played in my head when I read the title.

Sgt.Asher

Seems like he did the smart thing and invested his youtube money. It's the way to go, slide into obscurity before the channel slumps.

Or this is just some sort of viral marketing for a new venture for him.

Have people literally never heard anyone say

"But that's just a theory... A GAME THEORY" in a bitchy whiney voice randomly online?

This is the guy... right here who did that.
I think it depends on this forum’s collective age and when they were watching youtube. Isn’t MatPat/Game Theory, post-AVGN, post-GameTrailers, and post-old G4?

It’s weird because he exists in this bubble of time where newer youtube watchers don’t really know him that well either since people moved on to streamers, reactors, thinkpiece vids, etc.

nial

Gold Member
It's weird seeing all these 'who?' posts, I remember reading a 2019 thread about MatPat and everyone perfectly knew him.
He probably just waited until Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted 2 was out, then he went to solve it, and finally leave his channel.
He will probably come back whenever the new comes out, lol.
FNAF owes much of its viral success to the positive attention Game Theory brought it.
It's also the other way around, FNAF's continued success is what helped The Game Theory to stay relevant for many years to come. It also helped that Scott Cawthon was very friendly with him in the game series' prime times.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah I used to watch his videos, they were great. I don’t know why I stopped honestly but most likely Youtube algorithm stopped putting his videos to me. Anyways, I know why he gets emotional but for people like him, what are you going to do to keep bringing money? Investments? I mean content creator on your CV is not glamorous as what they might think and soon you’ll be irrelevant and people will forget who you are.

Zelduh

Yeah I used to watch his videos, they were great. I don’t know why I stopped honestly but most likely Youtube algorithm stopped putting his videos to me. Anyways, I know why he gets emotional but for people like him, what are you going to do to keep bringing money? Investments? I mean content creator on your CV is not glamorous as what they might think and soon you’ll be irrelevant and people will forget who you are.

He already has over 100 million dollars, he doesn't need to do a single thing for the rest of his life lol

Meicyn

Gold Member
Or maybe people with actual jobs where what they do makes an actual difference everyday and we don't base our value on whether our soy face is recognized on youtube by other people
Keep telling yourself that as you shake the canola oil off those fries.

Reactions: XXL
Top Bottom