• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MatPat announces retirement from Game Theory and YouTube

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I only know him because he said katana and samurai are faster and triggered multiple history YouTubers

Last edited:

XXL

Or maybe people with actual jobs where what they do makes an actual difference everyday and we don't base our value on whether our soy face is recognized on youtube by other people
I know about actual jobs.... I provide them to many people, making a difference in their lives and their families lives, as they do for me.

So get the fuck out here with that nonsense.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I know about actual jobs.... I provide them to many people, making a difference in their lives and their families lives, as they do for me.

So get the fuck out here with that nonsense.

So do i. So you get the fuck out of here with your nonsense assuming youre more important than everyone else

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This is a real shame. I like his stuff. She wasn’t for me but he really was entertaining.

they have tried other voices before and it didn’t catch. We will see

MirageMew2

Haha you couldn’t be more under a rock asking “Who”
GG Gamers

MatPat will be missed. I’d quit too if I made it to the FNAF film.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It's weird seeing all these 'who?' posts, I remember reading a 2019 thread about MatPat and everyone perfectly knew him.
He probably just waited until Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted 2 was out, then he went to solve it, and finally leave his channel.
He will probably come back whenever the new comes out, lol.

It's also the other way around, FNAF's continued success is what helped The Game Theory to stay relevant for many years to come. It also helped that Scott Cawthon was very friendly with him in the game series' prime times.
I think it’s because a lot of people out here don’t care about social media peeps, YouTubers, Influencers, etc. I have been around video games for over three decades, keep up with gaming news, and I’m all over social media, and never once heard of this guy. I think the “who” is a sarcastic way of saying, this guy isn’t important to me and never was, and I don’t care because of that. I get both viewpoints.

nial

Gold Member
I think it’s because a lot of people out here don’t care about social media peeps, YouTubers, Influencers, etc. I have been around video games for over three decades, keep up with gaming news, and I’m all over social media, and never once heard of this guy. I think the “who” is a sarcastic way of saying, this guy isn’t important to me and never was, and I don’t care because of that. I get both viewpoints.
Right, but I still made clear why it was weird to me.
I remember reading a 2019 thread about MatPat and everyone perfectly knew him.
MatPat will be missed. I’d quit too if I made it to the FNAF film.
His name being Ness was just too damn based.
789kTwC.jpg

I've heard the name. Never watched a video. I don't blame him. I'd retire, too, if I made tens of millions of dollars in a decade. I wouldn't even need that much. Hopefully nobody tells him the average person retires in their 60s with little savings.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Right, but I still made clear why it was weird to me.

His name being Ness was just too damn based.
789kTwC.jpg
You literally said “It's weird seeing all these 'who?' posts” and then followed by explaining your idea of “weird” as some stuff people who have never heard of this guy, would never understand. That’s incredibly not “clear”, and how is that relevant to your argument whatsoever? 🤦‍♂️😂

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
as some stuff people who have never heard of this guy, would never understand. That’s incredibly not “clear”
You need to elaborate on this. What exactly is hard to understand in "Seeing a lot of people in this thread not knowing who this guy is seems weird to me, because just 4 years ago most people here, in fact, knew him"?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
You need to elaborate on this. What exactly is hard to understand in "Seeing a lot of people in this thread not knowing who this guy is seems weird to me, because just 4 years ago most people here, in fact, knew him"?
I didn’t know him. There’s my elaboration. And apparently a bunch of other people here didn’t know who he was…how is that weird?

nial

Gold Member
I didn’t know him. There’s my elaboration. And apparently a bunch of other people here didn’t know who he was…how is that weird?
Holy damn shit.
"Seeing a lot of people in this thread not knowing who this guy is seems weird to me, because just 4 years ago most people here, in fact, knew him"
If you're going to keep quoting me to just argue over something as stupid as this discussion, please do not bother.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This thread seems to be full of bitter people that never really accomplished anything to be proud of.

Or people who legitimately aren't on YouTube 24/7 and engage with our shared hobby in a way that suits them. I mean...most of this thread is shit posts and owls. Saying "who?" doesn't immediately signify that the speaker is in dire straits, desperately clutching at the heels of this guy who made trendy youtube videos. Personally, I'd enjoy an online presence and a small community, but it would be something structured in a different way. Most people on here probably find being a content creator completely out of their wheelhouse of desires. If you're talking bitter about like...not having millions of dollars, that's basically like a reflexive human instinct that everyone in the developed world has to actively train themselves to not be bothered by.

Or maybe I'm an angsty middle aged white guy rebelling against his meager hand to mouth life, making silent promises to myself to overcome my arch nemesis, youtube guy.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Holy damn shit.

If you're going to keep quoting me to just argue over something as stupid as this discussion, please do not bother.
Quoting yourself is amazing. I legit didn’t know you could do that lol. I am seriously just trying to figure out what you are trying to say with your responses. I’m hella confused right now. Idk who tf this guy is and there are a lot of people here who don’t. Please don’t discount that.

mitch1971

He's not even retiring. He reducing his input. He said he'd come back to do the odd video and will be behind the camera working on the channel.

Same with that Tom fella.

They are taking a break or reducing hours, making a video about it to get some more cash. There is no 'retiring' involved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom