• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: Design and Technology series

Really wish Remedy or Rockstar would throw out an HD collection of MP1/2 on PSN/XBLA or something. Been trying to play these on my notebook with a KB/Mouse and it just honestly doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Pachimari

Really wish Remedy or Rockstar would throw out an HD collection of MP1/2 on PSN/XBLA or something. Been trying to play these on my notebook with a KB/Mouse and it just honestly doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Aren't Max Payne coming out for XBLA next year?
At least Max Payne HD is coming out for iOS, but I can't remember if there'll be a XBLA version too.

SamuraiX-

Might as well say it here.

If anyone looking forward to MP3 has not played MP1 and MP2, they are both on sale TODAY ONLY on Steam for $2.50 each. Do not pass this up, people.

Xander51

The original Xbox versions of the Max Payne games are already available on Xbox Live Marketplace. It may not be an HD remake, but they work decently enough.

Simo

The Guardian has a new preview up that's a really good write up and includes some new details about multiplayer and has this new screenshot:
Max-Payne-3-005.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/dec/16/max-payne-3-game-preview?CMP=twt_gu

Guardian reporter was shown the New York section of the game again along with the bus depot and Branco offices along with the football stadium section. I quite liked this detail...
The team apparently built elaborate sets to replicate game maps, allowing the actors to interact much more naturally with their environment, and allowing closer parity with the in-game action. Plus, every non-interactive story section will feature Max carrying the weapons that you're actually holding in the game at the time; it'll also show any scars or blood stains that he's picked up during play – a small point, but a cool one in terms of continuity.

Multiplayer:
Elsewhere, Rockstar has revealed a major multiplayer component to the game. The range of 16-player modes are all designed to capture the campaign's cinematic intensity and emphasis on acrobatic gunplay. Alongside standard deathmatch and team deathmatch options the key draw is likely to be the innovative 'Gang Wars' newcomer, which, like the multiplayer in Uncharted and Assassin's Creed, brings a narrative slant to the action.

Built around set-piece locations from the campaign (with previously inaccessible areas like rooftops, now opened up), teams compete to achieve a series of objectives, all accompanied by Max Payne's usual gruff monologue and book-ended by the graphic novel cut-scenes.

Somehow, Rockstar has managed to incorporate bullet-time into the action. When a player triggers it, everyone in their sight line is caught in the slow-mo treacle, making for bunch of easy, rapid kills. There's also a range of new special abilities known as bursts, which become available when the player fills an adrenaline gauge.

Killing enemies and looting their bodies builds the meter, and each burst power has three levels of power. Participants can loot the bodies of fallen enemies to find ammo and painkillers. XP is earned though kills and assists unlocking new weapons and bursts. It's also possible to start a vendetta against any player that kills you twice – get them back and you earn bonus XP.

Fjordson

The multiplayer is sounding really good. I'm actually a bit surprised. As much as I love Rockstar, I didn't really play much of GTA IV or Red Dead online, but MP 3's online has me genuinely excited.

Might as well say it here.

If anyone looking forward to MP3 has not played MP1 and MP2, they are both on sale TODAY ONLY on Steam for $2.50 each. Do not pass this up, people.
Had to second this before today ends. Totally worth it, even just to replay them, especially at that price.

And for anyone playing them on consoles, like Xander said, the Xbox ports are actually good.

The Guardian has a new preview up that's a really good write up and includes some new details about multiplayer and has this new screenshot:
Max-Payne-3-005.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/dec/16/max-payne-3-game-preview?CMP=twt_gu

Guardian reporter was shown the New York section of the game again along with the bus depot and Branco offices along with the football stadium section. I quite liked this detail...

Multiplayer:

Good preview. I like that they'll keep that small weapon/blood continuity in cut-scenes, it's a great touch.

They've been showing off the 360 version a lot recently. Really hoping that the PS3 version is on par this time :/

Simo

Good preview. I like that they'll keep that small weapon/blood continuity in cut-scenes, it's a great touch.

They've been showing off the 360 version a lot recently. Really hoping that the PS3 version is on par this time :/

They always do, it was the same with previews for GTAIV and Red Dead. Since it's the same engine that powered those 2 games I'd assume Max Payne 3 would perform more or less identical but then I never played those two on PS3 due to issues with the controls. :/

GamesRadar has this interesting article up about Remedy and Max Payne 3:
http://www.gamesradar.com/remedy-currently-helping-rockstar-test-max-payne-3/

Both Rockstar and Remedy have spoken about their mutual friendship and partnership regarding Max Payne and even how Remedy offered and shared their thoughts and ideas for Max Payne 3 but now Remedy producer, Matthias Myllyrinne, says Remedy is now actually play testing the game...
Matthias explained, "We’ve known the Rockstar guys for 11, 12 years now and it just felt natural as they were wrapping up Max Payne 3 that they reached out asking for input and feedback. We go, ‘Of course, that’s wonderful.’ We love Max Payne and personally I’ve been with Max for many, many years.” But don’t think Remedy is helping with the coding. Matthias continued, “They’re doing all the heavy lifting, it’s not like we’re doing a significant part of it. We’re not doing development”

Matthias further explained their role: “We’re just giving feedback, giving input, playing the builds and providing our thoughts. Certainly it’s fun. It’s almost like a dream job. You just get to play and give your input. (Rockstar) is very open and secure in what they do. They don’t ship bad games, period. With their kind of attention to detail it’s been fun working with those guys. We’ll continue to offer input as they continue to wrap it up.”

That's pretty awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I thought the PS3 version of Red Dead was pretty great and this is an even newer version of the same engine and it isn't open world so I'm hoping it'll be closer to parity with the 360 version.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I thought the PS3 version of Red Dead was pretty great and this is an even newer version of the same engine and it isn't open world so I'm hoping it'll be closer to parity with the 360 version.

Eurogamer's Digital Foundry said:
So, we're just left with the matter of the final recommendation. We've demonstrated conclusively that the Xbox 360 version of Red Dead Redemption possesses higher resolution, improved levels of detail, noticeably superior performance in-game and fewer jaggies owing to a more consistently applied anti-aliasing solution that doesn't blur the image. Shadows are generally sharper, and of better quality (particularly on the characters' self-shadows).
They also note that PS3 loading times are better because of the mandatory install, but straight up load-screen loading times in RDR are negligible based on the way the world is streamed in.

Prediction: If you have to get a console version, make it the 360. As this is one of the few games for Rockstar that will launch on PC day & date, try to get that. Although past performance for release day on the PC side wasn't stellar.

I've hoped for RDR that they will be on par because of the time between GTA4 and RDR, but maybe they can't get it that way.

Simo

New artwork made available...
maxpayne3_maxartwork7_1280x720.jpg

Also I've got a request for any German Gaffers here...Looks like M! Games Magazine is having a 5 page cover story all about Max Payne 3 and it hits newsstands tomorrow, any chance anybody could snag a copy and translate some of the article for any new or relevant info? The article is full of nothing but new screenshots and artwork so I'm curious as what they've got to say.

They've posted a sample and a Youtube video of the new issue on their site..
cover.jpg

inhalt.jpg

probe1.jpg

http://www.maniac.de/content/die-ne...ax-payne-3-street-fighter-x-tekken-metal-gear

Simo

Do we know about when this'll come out?

Just some time in March is all we know. A lot of places like Amazon and Gamestop have March 6th but that's just a placeholder and assumption on their parts, and I doubt they'd want to release it the same day and date as Mass Effect 3 and GDC.

The special edition is available for preorder until January 15th so hopefully around then they'll give a firm date.

Fuuuuuuuuuck, all that new artwork is so gorgeous. Simo, your new avatar is killer. I've got a new wallpaper

Could someone make me a new avatar with that awesome Max pose?

Don't fuck with Max, he will pistol whip your face. Oh, and he shot that dude like ten times in the space of a single dive in that one shot.

Simo

You're welcome and hell yeah!

Can't wait for somebody to get that magazine though. In the Youtube vid you can see the other pages briefly and some of the other screenshots like one of Max standing over somebody as if he's executing them with an explosion going off in the background. I also just noticed that the magazine has it marked which version of the game the screens are from, no surprise being it's the 360 version.

While it's generally something I never do, I'm considering picking up both versions of the game. PS3 CE and Standard 360. If they're on par, I'll give the 360 version to my cousin to enjoy, if not, I'll split MP and SP duties (since all my friends have PS3s).

Fjordson

Damn! You guys always have the dopest Max avatars. Probably going to have to get one closer to release.

Also going to have to get another tech series video. Come on, Rockstar!

Simo

Damn! You guys always have the dopest Max avatars. Probably going to have to get one closer to release.

Also going to have to get another tech series video. Come on, Rockstar!

Well here you go, these are up for grabs so help yourself!
probe12.png

probe1.png

I mainly created them for NotTheGuyYouKill's OT and I've got a few more, helps pass the time between the news drought!

Simo

Simo

weren't we supposed to get another design & tech video by year's end or was that a rumor?

Not sure, Rockstar never said anything specific just that we may get another video in December but with a week left it'll probably be in January now.

Again, I'm wondering if they'll give a concrete release day after the preorder period for the SE ends on January 15th.

Simo

Sorry for the double post but has any UK gaffers received this yet? Subscribers just got it but it hits newsstands on the 28th but is supposed to be up on iTunes for the iPad and iPhone:
PLT66.cover2817614851348314931-724x1024.jpg

Also, as to be expected I guess, it looks like there's going to be multiple preorder DLC multiplayer packs. Amazon in Italy has the "Silent Killer" available when you preorder which includes a LAW (Light Anti-Tank) weapon, Listening device making enemy footsteps more audible and an extra Burst:
http://www.amazon.it/gp/feature.htm...ur2&docId=1000556413&camp=3370&creative=24114

New screenshot too..
394001_165732096862231_135355486566559_184333_1449126182_n.jpg

Sorry for the double post but has any UK gaffers received this yet? Subscribers just got it but it hits newsstands on the 28th but is supposed to be up on iTunes for the iPad and iPhone:
PLT66.cover2817614851348314931-724x1024.jpg

Also, as to be expected I guess, it looks like there's going to be multiple preorder DLC multiplayer packs. Amazon in Italy has the "Silent Killer" available when you preorder which includes a LAW (Light Anti-Tank) weapon, Listening device making enemy footsteps more audible and an extra Burst:
http://www.amazon.it/gp/feature.htm...ur2&docId=1000556413&camp=3370&creative=24114

New screenshot too..
394001_165732096862231_135355486566559_184333_1449126182_n.jpg

Oh man, too cool. This is always repeated ad nauseum, but Rockstar's art team is fantastic.

KageMaru

I know it's expected, but I'm quite impressed by how nice the RAGE engine looks when it's not rendering an open world but instead a more narrow path/corridor.

Originally wasn't very excited about this, but I'm sold now after the latest bits of media and pics.

Simo

Such a great screen- wish it was higher res!

zZ1t3.jpg

Awesome. Yeah I wish they had released the HD version of that screen. Hard to believe the release is right around the corner....

I know it's expected, but I'm quite impressed by how nice the RAGE engine looks when it's not rendering an open world but instead a more narrow path/corridor.

Originally wasn't very excited about this, but I'm sold now after the latest bits of media and pics.

Yeah and how destructible the environments are since there wasn't any in GTA and RDR but in Max Payne 3 everything is.

Hopefully they've managed to get the engine running on the PS3 properly. I know LA Noire lists RAGE as its engine, but at one point it was said that it was running on a custom engine. Plus it would be really odd if they managed to get RAGE running properly on the PS3 on their first go when Rockstar has had 3 shots at it so far.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Man that video was pretty great. The gameplay looked exciting and the prone while shooting not only is innovative, it looks great as well. Man more developers should do developer or game diary type series, they can truly sell you on a game.

KageMaru

Yeah and how destructible the environments are since there wasn't any in GTA and RDR but in Max Payne 3 everything is.

I'm sure GTA and RDR could have had destruction if they were linear type games. =p

Hopefully they've managed to get the engine running on the PS3 properly. I know LA Noire lists RAGE as its engine, but at one point it was said that it was running on a custom engine. Plus it would be really odd if they managed to get RAGE running properly on the PS3 on their first go when Rockstar has had 3 shots at it so far.

IMO design has much to do with any issues of reaching parity here. Using RDR as an example, all that open terrain doesn't allow many opportunities to cull geometry or manage alpha textures, both of which could explain the slight downgrades on the PS3. I would imagine MP3 would come very close, if not hitting complete parity, since this isn't an open world game.

Edit:

Love the avatar btw, where is it from?

Top Bottom