• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: Design and Technology series

With the amount of work needed to get the procedural AI/physhics driven animation to work on Euphoria, other companies would be better off creating their own solutions.

See this article:http://aigamedev.com/open/editorial/naturalmotion-euphoria/ It takes a critical and technical look at Euphoria. It's very informative. It explains how it works and how it's flawed.

Good article, genuinely interesting and informative. What's more is it actually shows that rather than Euphoria being amazing, R*'s animators are fucking good.

DarkChild

Banned
With the amount of work needed to get the procedural AI/physhics driven animation to work on Euphoria, other companies would be better off creating their own solutions.

See this article:http://aigamedev.com/open/editorial/naturalmotion-euphoria/ It takes a critical and technical look at Euphoria. It's very informative. It explains how it works and how it's flawed.
Other companies maybe, R* only strives for the best. BTW that Alan/Hangover picture is genius!

Sucks about that article on Euphoria.

MP3 definately has the best animations this gen, bar none. Makes Uncharted's animations look childplay.

I loved how how he jumped over the pool table, and then the way how he lands sideways, using his arm/elbow to move himself while firing. Little details like that are amazing.

Recall that Rob Nelson mentioned that Euphoria is only as good as the work you put in to it, and the article states that it's not easy to get everything right, but when it's done right, jesus christ is it good. It's much better than anything else I've seen (cough, cough, havok).

I do not have a deep understanding of any physics/animation technology, but I know what I see, and, dammit, nothing's even come close to Euphoria...or should I say the combination of Rockstar and Natural Motion working together? I haven't played the force unleashed or backbreaker.

Hoping it's closer to 12-15 hours than this gen's shooter standard 8.

More like standard... 5-6. Yeah, a 15 hour game would rock.

sponsoredbyhavokyawn.jpg

joebidenlaugh.gif

hahaha, awesome.

They've said the story takes place over a series of days rather than hours but yeah I hope single player is substantial or at least as long as the first Max Payne game.

I like that it takes place over a few weeks this time instead of a couple of nights. While I liked the compressed nature of the first two game, some more variation's cool.

Edit: Top 10 Reasons why Max Payne 3 was worth the wait:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...asons-why-max-payne-3-will-be-worth-the-wait/

Simo

New update and screens...
From the mobsters and dregs of the streets of New York, to the vicious gang members and powerful criminal underworld of São Paulo - Max Payne's line of work demands a serious arsenal of weaponry.

Expect Max Payne 3 to be stocked with plenty of the appropriate tools of the trade.

Today, check out just a sampling of the weapons selection you'll be wielding for yourself come March. The four brand new screens below can also be seen in high def at www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3 - and expect lots more on the weapons and gunplay of Max Payne 3 in the weeks and months ahead.
maxpayne3-172-1280.jpg

Max fires his Micro 9MM at a nearby thug.

maxpayne3-162-1280.jpg

Max's signature dual-wielding returns in Max Payne 3.

maxpayne3-157-1280.jpg

Brandishing his trusty 1911 pistol.

maxpayne3-156-1280.jpg

One of the many new weapon options in Max Payne 3, the G6 Commando assault rifle packs a punch.

cackhyena

Eh, most of that is recycled. And some of those shootouts are shown three different times. Way to be stingy with that footage, Rockstar.

Day 1.

Continuing on with the Rob Nelson video interviews, IGN now has one which again includes new gameplay footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T87jZU7q5k&feature=g-all

Check out the final bullet-cam at the 2:00 mark and the blood gushing out the wound...Ick.

God, the rooftop clip around 1:35 was so good. I love the shootout physics, and it looks really fun to play. That jump-dodge headshot to the guy around the corner was beautiful. Also, the hit reactions to the guy at 1:53, and the slow-mo pivot + reload at 1:57 were GREAT animations. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Fjordson

Yeah, it seems really brutal. It seems like the media has gotten bored with piling controversy onto Rockstar these days, but I wonder if they'll get any flak for this one. Seems much more violent than any GTA or even Red Dead.

I'm anxious to see some more insight into the story. I'm fairly confident the gameplay will be dope, I'm curious what Dan Houser's cooked up.

I think that's the most impressive video yet. The gunplay looks amazingly stunning.

I like that rockstar is being stingy with story details and new video clips. It makes playing the game and experiencing it first hand that much more special. I wish more companies did this.

Continuing on with the Rob Nelson video interviews, IGN now has one which again includes new gameplay footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T87jZU7q5k&feature=g-all

Check out the final bullet-cam at the 2:00 mark and the blood gushing out the wound...Ick.

That was awesome. The visuals look great, and the violence looks pretty impactful.

Also, when Nelson was describing Max as a regular dude with a certain set of skills, did Liam Neeson come to mind for anyone else?

dreamfall

1:36, my jaw dropped. Snow, the Empire State building, Max in his trench coat, blood gushing with very bullettime shot. Pre-ordered, now this waiting game is going to killlll!

I need the fucking name of the guy/gal who does the promo art for R*, could it be Rob Nelson? I've heard some other names around GAF but nothing solid.

I need the fucking name of the guy/gal who does the promo art for R*, could it be Rob Nelson? I've heard some other names around GAF but nothing solid.

I tried asking that, but my Social Club login thing won't work. If you have one, you could try leaving a message on their page.

But yeah, these pieces of art are awesome.

Angry Fork

I hope some ambitious modders are able to tweak this game when it comes out and replace every Brazil scene (or at least the lighting/colors) with something much darker and more Max Payne-like.

Everything about this game looks fine so far except the atrocious setting.

I hope some ambitious modders are able to tweak this game when it comes out and replace every Brazil scene (or at least the lighting/colors) with something much darker and more Max Payne-like.

Hahaha! Seriously?

cackhyena

lol

For real?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why do I want this game so bad after watching the first episode of this series? I went from "don't care" to "god Rockstar stop raping my wallet."

Fjordson

I tried asking that, but my Social Club login thing won't work. If you have one, you could try leaving a message on their page.

But yeah, these pieces of art are awesome.
I'll leave a comment and see. Their art is so great. This new one is my favourite MP 3 one they've put out.

Simo

Somebody mentioned Joshua Bass or Rob Nelson but as far as I know these guys are the art directors that oversee the art team for San Diego and such and may not be directly responsible for the art.

I wish Rockstar would release an art book for their games, I think they tried to release one big huge one for like $500 once but thats a little too rich for me.
King Kong ain't got shit on me.

Heh I like how it's a nod to the first Max Payne game, anybody remember the Kong Whiskey posters?

Im getting the impression this game is controlling like an fps rather than an tps.

I dont know how to explain it but it seems like you are basically controlling the camera and reticle with the character almost moving independently.

Edit: it looks like the character is following the camera rather than the camera following the character like in most tps.

Simo

Im getting the impression this game is controlling like an fps rather than an tps.

I dont know how to explain it but it seems like you are basically controlling the camera and reticle with the character almost moving independently.

Edit: it looks like the character is following the camera rather than the camera following the character like in most tps.

Funnily enough Rockstar kind of touched on this in the last EGM feature. This was the quote:
What's noticeable is actually what you don't notice: Characters running and shooting simultaneously, and the disconnect between their upper and lower bodies. Anyone who's played online shooters has certainly noticed it, and Rockstar did as well-and became hell-bent on doing away with it. "It's a really tricky thing to get right - the classic strafing where you see the guy's lower body going left and right, or they don't really know how to handle if you're running back at the camera and you turn around " says Rob Nelson.

"We struggled with that and tried to get something that looked human and natural - but never let your gun waver from the screen. We're believers in third-person storytelling and connection with the world, but we want the fluidity and the control that first person shooters are known for."

I just got my new issue of Game Informer this weekend and there's a really nice 6 page interview with Dan Houser about his writing process, influences and Max Payne 3. Quick hits from the interview...
  • Dan Houser isn't the only writer on MP3. There are, or possibly have been, other writers on board including Mike Unsworth, who worked on the script for Red Dead, and is working closely with Houser on MP3, and is luckily fluent in Portuguese.
  • Yes they tried going with a different voice actor but it didn't work out. The way their face tech works is that the voice actor has to do not only the VO but motion capture scenes too so eventually the team asked "Why don't we try it with James McCaffrey?" In Houser's words "And he looks fucking perfect - he looks like Max Payne. As soon as he started reading the lines, it felt like it came to life. And he's a great actor as well, so he was great in the motion-capture cutscenes."

Houser talks a lot more about MP3 so it was a good read!

I think that's the whole point. The reticle is always there and Max is centered on the screen so you retain your accuracy even while running and gunning. At the same time you can go into a slower more pinpoint over the shoulder view which cuts your maneuverability down. This isn't a bad thing, and is actually integral in the design to keep the game as a run and gun shooter. Having the aiming work like every other TPS would change things considerably as Max would lose that accuracy while running.

[*]Yes they tried going with a different voice actor but it didn't work out. The way their face tech works is that the voice actor has to do not only the VO but motion capture scenes too so eventually the team asked "Why don't we try it with James McCaffrey?" In Houser's words "And he looks fucking perfect - he looks like Max Payne. As soon as he started reading the lines, it felt like it came to life. And he's a great actor as well, so he was great in the motion-capture cutscenes."[/LIST]

I knew it!

I hope we get some behind-the-scenes videos, I'd love to see McCaffrey and the cast at work.

Fjordson

Wow, six page interview with Houser? I need pick that up. Compared to how much the Housers usually talk to the press, that's practically a whole book :lol.

And good to hear Unsworth is co-writing. Other than Red Dead, he wrote some of the the extra stuff in GTA IV and Lost & Damned. Commercials and some of the websites and whatnot. Always cool to see certain names pop up in multiple games of theirs.

Kinyou

I really like this scene:

max89zva.gif

In the previous games he would have just "glided" down the wall, but here he really slams into it and reacts.

Though now I'm wondering what happens if you dive headfirst into a wall.

I can't believe rockstar actually started ths without McCaffrey in mind, but I'm glad they came to their senses. That article makes it read like he was a last resort because they couldn't think of anyone else. Id like to know who their original choice was.

Simo

I can't believe rockstar actually started ths without McCaffrey in mind, but I'm glad they came to their senses. That article makes it read like he was a last resort because they couldn't think of anyone else. Id like to know who their original choice was.

Houser mainly talks about them sampling different voice overs hoping to find the right tone MP3 would evolve to but nothing felt right.

I'd imagine when development started they might of figured McCaffrey wasn't old enough but with development being as long as it is and MP3 releasing almost 9 years after the second one...age finally caught up with McCaffrey and for the better I guess. lol I'm just happy he's back, it'd be as if somebody else voiced Snake instead of David Hayter...his voice is too iconic to be changed.

-BLITZ-

The second art is fantastic. How serious Max is, ready to kill any bad guy. Never seen such a good art from a very long time.
Bulletproof vest ?

Any art that was released in the past month, Max has hair. Confirmed! 70% of the game he will have hair.

Simo

The second art is fantastic. How serious Max is, ready to kill any bad guy. Never seen such a good art from a very long time.
Bulletproof vest ?

Any art that was released in the past month, Max has hair. Confirmed! 70% of the game he will have hair.

Yep.
maxpayne3-4-1280.jpg

If I remember correctly, he wears the vest
after the football stadium hostage negotiations get "complicated" and he and Passo track down a gang to the docks to get back Fabiana.

Loving the art though, just wish we had them in higher resolutions.

Top Bottom