• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: Design and Technology series

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1212766p1.html

Not sure if old, but IGN has an interview up with R* Art Director Rob Nelson. Not crazy in depth, but some interesting info nonetheless. Everything's sounding good.

Interesting stuff. Bit of a rehash since R*'s always so cagey, but interesting.

I can't stop watching the video and every time I do I notice something new. I guess we're getting 1 more video before the year's end!

Was this posted too?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6550/dan_houser_on_how_rockstar_does_it.php

It's an interview with Dan Houser talking about MP3. He brings up Mona too and whether or not she'll be in the game.

Probably the best way to go, it allows both endings to be canon.

Though if Mona
did live, I wonder what split her and Max up. Probably her being wanted to capital murder and shit.

SamuraiX-

Thanks for posting.

I still can't get over how amazing the animation and flexibility with diving, shooting, and bullet time all look.

Simo

New video interview with Rob Nelson that has some New Footage

http://www.gamesradar.com/max-payne-3-interview-delves-maxs-tortured-psyche/

Some bits on gameplay and Max's backstory for what he's been up to since the ending of Max Payne 2. Hint: It involves copious amounts of alcohol.

God, I hope we get some nightmare sequences.
Cheers for that!

Thanks for posting.

I still can't get over how amazing the animation and flexibility with diving, shooting, and bullet time all look.

I know, like at the end of that interview when they shoot dodge to one side and then roll on to their back to the shoot the last guy behind him for the final slo-mo kill shot.

I wish they'd have a "Arcade" mode of sorts where you can replay levels without the story segments and use a Theater mode to capture and upload your own shootouts like how Rockstar is doing with these videos.

Strike

I miss playing these types of games. I bought Stranglehold a few years back, but it wasn't the same. Slowly, but surely I'm starting to come around on this. I'm going to wait for the reviews.

Fjordson

Bullet time looks delicious. And I like how they said that Nelson mentioned to them "the inherent weirdness from the firs t two games will return". Very interesting.

New screenshots!

711024x5753rr4f.jpg

721024x575a9qx7.jpg

Deal with it.

701024x575nxesr.jpg

Simo

Awesome stuff.

I was reading the new issues of OPM and PC Gamer which had 4-6 page articles on the demo preview we've already read about but they were really in-depth, like PC Gamer mentions that with the melee system you're able to disarm enemies and take their guns with a button combination.

EDIT: Wow, that night time scene on the docks and boat with the rain hammering down and the explosion sending that guy across the boat and in to the water....DAYUM.

You sir have made my day with this picture. I haven't seen a single dual wielding picture/video till now. I was afraid dual wielding was gone :')

Yeah, that's been confirmed forever :) You can see him dual wielding in a bunch of shots and in the Tech Video/Trailer.

He can dual-wield different side-arms too, which is really neat.

Simo

With the interview I wonder if there was another press demo/preview given the TV monitors in the background? Also I wonder if Rockstar will have something for the VGAs since Red Dead cleaned up there last year.

Fjordson

You sir have made my day with this picture. I haven't seen a single dual wielding picture/video till now. I was afraid dual wielding was gone :')
Hold onto your butts:

max_payne_3_screenshots_13178589814330.jpg

Mix and match dual-wielding. Woo!

Newest interview is cool. Rob Nelson continues to make everything sound great and I love the new bits (especially that pool table dive).

SamuraiX-

You already oversold me on the gameplay, R*. Gimme some good bits of the story or at least a few out-of-context lines of dialogue to convince me that the story and writing aren't just borrowed shit from the rest of the mediocrity being released nowadays.

-BLITZ-

I'm not negative, but the game is starting to get too much publicity until march. I'm concern about the game having only these levels and couple of others.

Reminds me of Kane & Lynch 2 demo and other videos. I hope the game will have at least two Parts as the others are having three.

Messi

This game and hitman absolution are going to be games that people hated on during development and came good. trust me :)

I'm not negative, but the game is starting to get too much publicity until march. I'm concern about the game having only these levels and couple of others.

Reminds me of Kane & Lynch 2 demo and other videos. I hope the game will have at least two Parts as the others are having three.

I was thinking about that as well, but I think they're just holding back. That'd be real disappointing if we've seen everything there is to see in terms of environments.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
This game and hitman absolution are going to be games that people hated on during development and came good. trust me :)

I'm betting my marbles on max payne getting good reception whereas hitmans is going to be lukewarm at best. Trust me.

Well, we've already seen appartment blocks, favelas, a bus station, a stadium, docks, New York City streets and rooftops, a construction site and an office, and I'm sure that's not all.

SamuraiX-

Holy shit. LOL

Can't unsee.

Except for the fact that, you know, everything we've seen from Max Payne 3 in terms of gameplay stays true to the series while everything we've seen from Hitman Absolution shit's all over what was once the unique identity of that series.

applause2nnd1m.gif

I lol'd.

Watched the interview again... that may be the first time I've ever seen Rob Nelson not look semi-dead inside. He cracked a smile! It seemed genuine!

As for how many levels... I'm definitely thinking it'll be a meaty game. Comparable to Dead Space/Uncharted in terms of length, but I'm hoping for something even longer than that.

Stole this from the Alan Wake forums:

nouvelleimagebitmap2jkwc8b.png

He changes his clothes a bunch of times. Definitely seems like a progression over the course of the game.

Just watched the GameTrailers interview. So very awesome.

Day 1.

And every game needs Euphoria.

With the amount of work needed to get the procedural AI/physhics driven animation to work on Euphoria, other companies would be better off creating their own solutions.

See this article:http://aigamedev.com/open/editorial/naturalmotion-euphoria/ It takes a critical and technical look at Euphoria. It's very informative. It explains how it works and how it's flawed.

Simo

I lol'd.

Watched the interview again... that may be the first time I've ever seen Rob Nelson not look semi-dead inside. He cracked a smile! It seemed genuine!

As for how many levels... I'm definitely thinking it'll be a meaty game. Comparable to Dead Space/Uncharted in terms of length, but I'm hoping for something even longer than that.

Stole this from the Alan Wake forums:

nouvelleimagebitmap2jkwc8b.png

He changes his clothes a bunch of times. Definitely seems like a progression over the course of the game.

They've said the story takes place over a series of days rather than hours but yeah I hope single player is substantial or at least as long as the first Max Payne game.

Haha nice.

Top Bottom