• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: Design and Technology series

Fezan

Game look great.really interested now.but animation look little rubbery .dont know the exact term but it feels really weird puppet like

DennisK4 said:
WOW!

I don't know... the shirt wrinkles looks awesome (as they changed depending on the animation frame) but the transition still looks kind of weird. Anyway, it still awesome that they have that level of detail!

The arm has recoil from the gun he just shoot but I think there is something kind of robotic in that animation, even though the transitions looks smooth. The other arm waving does look cool indeed.

If I hadn't watch that GIF I wouldn't have picked up all those animation details. Interesting nonetheless!

DarkChild

Banned
What is interesting is, graphically, GTA V looked better than MP3. Maybe its because thats R*North game, but still...Open vs linear.

Simo

Necronomikon said:
WOW!

I don't know... the shirt wrinkles looks awesome (as they changed depending on the animation frame) but the transition still looks kind of weird. Anyway, it still awesome that they have that level of detail!

The arm has recoil from the gun he just shoot but I think there is something kind of robotic in that animation, even though the transitions looks smooth. The other arm waving does look cool indeed.

If I hadn't watch that GIF I wouldn't have picked up all those animation details. Interesting nonetheless!

I didn't even notice the wrinkles until you mentioned it and then looking at the gif....o_O. Wow.

Video hyped me up beyond belief...now I don't want to touch Skyrim. Thanks Rockstar. =/

They are also once again proving that they take waaaay to long to finish up a game.

That and MP3 is now more of a Rockstar Studios game than just a Vancouver title since all the other studios from London to San Diego are helping develop this.

Gaogaogao

Jarmel said:
I wish R* would confirm if this is the PC version or consoles. I NEED high rez textures for this.
I wish they would confirm whether or not they are going to fuck up the pc version so they don't get my hopes up.

Ben Pierce said:
I'm wondering if the little things from the first two games are making a comeback such as the tv shows, for example
Thats a Remedy thing so not sure about those things.
Remedy loves to put extra stuff in their world.

Mechazawa

It's a much slower looking game(than Max Payne 1 at least, haven't played Max Payne 2) Bound to happen since Rockstar's fetish with Euphoria is so pervasive, but I was prepared for that so I guess I'm not too disappointed.

It looks pretty damn good for what it is, though. Hopefully the PC port isn't ass.

lostxii

Simo said:
I didn't even notice the wrinkles until you mentioned it and then looking at the gif....o_O. Wow.

Video hyped me up beyond belief...now I don't want to touch Skyrim. Thanks Rockstar. =/

That and MP3 is now more of a Rockstar Studios game than just a Vancouver title since all the other studios from London to San Diego are helping develop this.

They may have brought in other Rockstar studios to help finish the project, but Rockstar Vancouver is still the lead studio.

Despera

Banned
Gameplay looks great, and apparently stays true to the formula. Only thing that could ruin this game for me is a story that takes itself too seriously. I just hope they keep the wacky storytelling style from the first 2 games.

Gaogaogao

Tigel said:
Do we know if the game has auto-regen health or are the painkillers are still in?
the way it worked in the last 2 games is that, after a battle, your health would regen down to your legs on the meter, but mid battle you need to use pain killers. I assume the trend will continue.

look amazing, now the only thing that can dampen my excitement a bit is resolution/ framerate, and whether this euphoria stuff affect the responsive control. I always feel like I have to fight the control a bit in Rockstar games.

Dennis!!!!!!!!! More gifs! Please.

Ok, I have had time to coalesce my thoughts:

Visuals and animation look superb. Bullet time looks great. Gameplay seems classic Max with a dash of new style and HD. The New York and Favela stuff both looks really impressive. Return of the kill cam is great. McCaffrey sounds awesome, what little we heard. But seriously, that animation... super impressive. The only other recent game that impressed me that much was Uncharted 3.

And the violence. I am liking the violence. We even have Max's silhouette and painkillers back in the lower right corner. Max changes his clothes a lot.

Animations are incredible.

I really hope they nail the feel of the first two games in gunfights.

That's the biggest concern. Rockstar's production values are always top notch, if they get the controls right, this game is going to be amazing

-Mikey-

That was amazing. Hope the enemies all don't stand shoulder to shoulder so you don't even have to move the right stick after lining up with one dudes head and kill 3-4 in a row. Other than that one clip everything looks great. Expectations have been met and surpassed!

Sn4ke_911 said:
Yep. It's coming for PC.

God I hope the production value is Uncharted 3 good. The PC platform needs more quality 3rd person gamer experiences.

RDR should have been on PC....grrr...

metareferential said:
Animations are incredible.

I really hope they nail the feel of the first two games in gunfights.

That's the biggest concern. Rockstar's production values are always top notch, if they get the controls right, this game is going to be amazing

Doesn't RDR do something similar with it's single player combat?

Dacon

Banned
I loved everything about the video except that it's supposed to be Max Payne.

Ah well, it'll definitely be a fun action game.

Tigel

Fjordson said:
Painkillers.
You can see part of the HUD in the video. Looks similar to the first two games.

Gaogaogao said:
the way it worked in the last 2 games is that, after a battle, your health would regen down to your legs on the meter, but mid battle you need to use pain killers. I assume the trend will continue.

Awesome, great news!

Sober

WoodenLung said:
With the atrocious LA Noire port and the GTA one I am reserving some judgement on that. Rockstar has been so fucking awful on pc this generation. Is the pc version in house this time?
Yeah, MP3 is shaping to be pretty awesome but on PC with RAGE being shitty as it is with GTA4 and what people are saying about LAN, I am not sold on the PC port unless it has a god-tier port team do it. I'm sure most of the performance issues with RAGE on PC are from the open-world thing which MP3 probably doesn't need to worry about but still concerned.

Gaogaogao

JumpingTheGun said:
Just watched. This game is going to revolutionize third person shooters. Cinematically, gameplay-wise, you name it. Period.
uh, no? play the old max payne games and maybe stranglehold first. the animation is way better, but so far its just a better looking max payne (which is good enough for me).

JumpingTheGun
(Today, 10:01 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yo Gotti

Banned
Gaogaogao said:
uh, no? play the old max payne games and maybe stranglehold first. the animation is way better, but so far its just a better looking max payne (which is good enough for me).

If people can claim that the Uncharted games are some new, revolutionary third person experience, then this game definitely raises the bar quite a bit higher.

Gaogaogao

Yo Gotti said:
If people can claim that the Uncharted games are some new, revolutionary third person experience, then this game definitely raises the bar quite a bit higher.
had platforming really ever been applied to a 3rd person shooter with cover like uncharted before? I dont know what this has to do with max payne...

what rockstar studio is making this again?

DarkChild said:
What is interesting is, graphically, GTA V looked better than MP3. Maybe its because thats R*North game, but still...Open vs linear.

well I bet you almost anything that GTA5 footage was not coming out of a 360 or ps3.

Wii U or PC would have been my guess but it could have just been normal pre release smoke and mirrors.

still the fact GTA5 doesn't have any announced platforms is probably a sign its coming to ether Wii U or xbox 3. Maybe both.

Gaogaogao

funkystudent said:
all of them have some role in it last time I heard.

edit: wikipedia says
Rockstar Vancouver
Rockstar New England
Rockstar London
Rockstar Toronto

Fjordson

funkystudent said:

Gaogaogao said:
all of them have some roll in it last time I heard.

edit: wikipedia says
Rockstar Vancouver
Rockstar New England
Rockstar London
Rockstar Toronto

Yeah, I think all R* games these days are multi-studio efforts in some way. You always see key people from the various studios showing up in the credits (like with Red Dead).

For instance, Dan Houser from R* North is the lead writer and Sam Houser will probably have a production credit.

Gaogaogao said:

JumpingTheGun
(Today, 10:01 PM)
Reply | Quote

Oh youre one of those guys. Is this your first Rockstar experience?

Stranglehold is a piece of shit. Get the fuck out of here.

Spat_triate

Dacon said:
I loved everything about the video except that it's supposed to be Max Payne.

Ah well, it'll definitely be a fun action game.
mm? I saw some scenes that gave me a very strong Max Payne vibe (the snowy rooftop scene in particular). This looks gawdamm amazing. The animation blending is on another level.

Gaogaogao

JumpingTheGun said:
Oh youre one of those guys. Is this your first Rockstar experience?

Stranglehold is a piece of shit. Get the fuck out of here.
I didnt say stranglehold wasnt a piece of shit, but if stranglehold did (albeit poorly) what this game is doing (max payne + cover), does that make max payne 3 revolutionary? get the fuck out of here.

Gaogaogao said:
I didnt say stranglehold wasnt a piece of shit, but if stranglehold did (albeit poorly) what this game is doing (max payne + cover), does that make max payne 3 revolutionary? get the fuck out of here.

bitch you just dont get what im putting down. its all good though son.

Jarmel

Banned
Gaogaogao said:

Depends on how good the animation system is. For example the details in regards to the enemy death animations or animations in general could put more pressure on future shooters to have animations as a higher priority than they are now. Also this could further tie into the AI compared to say Uncharted 3 where enemies are nowhear near as reactive to bullet damage as they should be.

Top Bottom