• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: Design and Technology series

chri5t

Is it just me, or did this video kind of seem lackluster? The animation system doesn't really scream "AHMAHGAWD", and if anything, the animations in Uncharted 3 seem more fluid and advanced.

Maybe I just need to see the game in action more. Otherwise, I'm not seeing anything too special or crazy.

spats

After the first trailer I thought this game was going to be complete shit, but the actual gameplay looks incredibly fun.

Animation beats Uncharted's. Look at that scene where he throws himself against the bus, or the uzi belly roll. Heck, even just the way he shifts back and forth. Everything has weight and is dynamic. I love the way you can shoot in all directions while prone or shooting backwards while running forward. It just looks like a total winner for fans of third person gunplay. Hopefully they nailed the storytelling as well, but this being a Rockstar game with Remedy giving feedback, is not something I'm afraid about.

It's amazing what a head shave will do for the size of someones head. I swear Max Payne with hairs head is smaller than bald Max Payne. Looks good though. Hopefully they really polish it up in the coming months.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
chri5t said:
Is it just me, or did this video kind of seem lackluster? The animation system doesn't really scream "AHMAHGAWD", and if anything, the animations in Uncharted 3 seem more fluid and advanced.

Maybe I just need to see the game in action more. Otherwise, I'm not seeing anything too special or crazy.

I thought the animations on display here were clearly a cut above Uncharted. There was no awkward blending, no irregular changes in movement speed (although those mostly come from platforming in UC, but also entering cover) Max might be less animated in terms of varied random animations (too soon to say, really), but his movement looked at least as realistic as UC. And the death animations are far better than UC.

The worry I have is that the controls will feel sluggish like GTA IV and to a lesser extent RDR. Uncharted still manages to be responsive despite the complexity of animation, although in UC3 I think it became more obvious how clumsy Nathan Drake is when it comes to precise and demanding movement situations.

Angry Fork

I hate the brazil shit so damn much. I don't care about flashy animation and omg explosions. Even the New York parts in the game look way too bright and not murky/dingy enough. Everything needs to look much more dreadful and hopeless. Like an oppressive atmospheric weight constantly lurking ie Silent Hill games (or the first 2 Max Payne's). Remedy is one of the masters of atmosphere I wish they were doing this instead.

jmcca098

Neo Member
Looks good. However, GAF being cynical as there are, will tell me otherwise or refuse to acknowledge that it's shaping up to be a great game. In addition, they'll say it may look like it's a good game but not a good "max payne" game. Fucking hell, I hate how GAF categorizes games under certain labels instead of seeing it for what it is.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
chri5t said:

ahahahahahahaha

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I thought the animations on display here were clearly a cut above Uncharted. There was no awkward blending, no irregular changes in movement speed (although those mostly come from platforming in UC, but also entering cover) Max might be less animated in terms of varied random animations (too soon to say, really), but his movement looked at least as realistic as UC. And the death animations are far better than UC.

this

Kinyou

Seems like they combined the direct control of games like Gears of War with the free camera of games like Uncharted. Really interested how that turns out

hayguyz said:
I thought GAF hated this game because of bald Max.
A few more days and you'll be able to call every hypocrite out thanks to the post history.

Tweet from Remedy's community manager: Peter Papadopoulos (@sidetwo)
Though it's a bit weird not working on it, Max Payne 3 is looking AMAZING! Kudos to all @RockstarGames!

Agree with Peter.

Wow this could potentially be the best looking 3rd person shooter to date.

Those animations were just amazing. Why don't more devs use euphoria ?

styl3s

dat animation *mind explodes*

it reminds me of that game that got canceled and brought back by sony to be put on the back burner that was shown at E3 in like 05-06.

animation looks an awul lot like it.. the name escapes me i think it's something like 2nd day or something.

That looks fucking amazing. I honestly didn't give a shit about this game before that video and now I'm pretty hyped. The animation is pretty incredible.

Xav

Looks great but Stranglehold beat Rockstar to it 4 years ago so I'm not exactly blown away by what I'm seeing here.

Oneself

Amazing. I wasn't expecting much and this video blew me away. Take my money Rockstar... oh and don't fuck up the PS3 version.

Strike

Looks promising. I'm still not completely sold on this yet. Hopefully the story holds up and most importantly all three versions of the game are up to par. I still have flashbacks of Max Payne 2 on the PS2.

jett said:
So is everyone gonna guzzle down R*'s kool-aid again? Doesn't look as great as the trailer desperately wants me to think.

Wow. A negative reaction...from you. Shocking!

[edit - just finished watching. Day one.]

Rockstar is on a roll with top notch games, this looks like its on point to keep that streak going, game looks amazing in motion.

gibon3z said:
Wow this could potentially be the best looking 3rd person shooter to date.

Those animations were just amazing. Why don't more devs use euphoria ?
See this article about why more people aren't using euphoria:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/why-we-are-not-using-euphoria/

It was mentioned in this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452109

Baically, Euphoria is NOT an SDK and you contract them to tailor to the tech to the specific game. It's expensive and they seem to only work with the BIG guys.

Euphoria animation + Max Payne = pure sex. This looks better and better every time we see it, and it looks like some people will be wiping the egg off their faces in a few months time.

DarkChild

Banned
I think where they fucked up is the part where they cut gameplay and speed everything up, than part of cutscene, than a bit of blur, than slow mo etc. They should have shown more raw gameplay, I think it would be better. But, still, impressive.

inky

Looks alright. Improvements in animation and interaction with the environment are very welcome in this industry. There needs to be more of them.

george_us

The thing I love about this is that, for the most part, the gameplay seems identical to the earlier Max Payne games...yet it looks far more fresh then most TPS out there. Can't fucking wait for this.

BeeDog

Very impressive animations; Euphoria is the best technological advancement this gen. Too bad the RAGE engine in itself doesn't look hot here, and the framerate that's demonstrated is appalling.

Arklite

Man, those dark snow covered NY streets look so good.
Wish the whole game was like that again. That's what made the original so great. Everything was going to shit and the whole city was freezing over.

I'm glad this is coming out on PC. I tried playing Max Payne 2 on Xbox and Stranglehold, but I'm just not as good at Bullet-Time TPS with a controller. I need mouse\keyboard functionality. I also hope they release a version on OnLive, because I doubt my system will be able to run it :( Otherwise, I'll have to play it on my friend's computer.

thehillissilent said:
I'm glad this is coming out on PC.

With the atrocious LA Noire port and the GTA one I am reserving some judgement on that. Rockstar has been so fucking awful on pc this generation. Is the pc version in house this time?

WoodenLung said:
With the atrocious LA Noire port and the GTA one I am reserving some judgement on that. Rockstar has been so fucking awful on pc this generation. Is the pc version in house this time?

I'd actually be happier if they outsourced it, tbh.

Top Bottom