• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: Design and Technology series

thehillissilent said:
See this article about why more people aren't using euphoria:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/why-we-are-not-using-euphoria/

It was mentioned in this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452109

Baically, Euphoria is NOT an SDK and you contract them to tailor to the tech to the specific game. It's expensive and they seem to only work with the BIG guys.

That's an interesting read. I just assumed it was an easy addition to the game. I've been wondering why Euphoria hasn't become the standard as it is the best/most realistic animation system I've ever seen. I thought and hoped it would be the havok-killer for sure, but it may be a while yet before we can see it become more integrated into a lot of games. Just imagine the first Max Paynes with Euphoria ...or Skyrim. Fuckin' havok's gotta go, bro.

Playing BF3 last night, I was really impressed with the animations, but this takes it to the next level. Euphoria is just amazing to watch. The seemingly self-aware quality it gives to characters is so satisfying. The dynamic stumbling / tripping / falling stuff is brilliant. I love the upgrade in hit reactions & gore too, they're really stepped it up from GTA & RDR.

I'm back on the hype train.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Fuck. Yes.

That looked amazing.

Gears has by far the tightest third person shooter controls right now but the animation in this makes it look last-gen by comparison.

tci

The animation is good, but the rest looks bad. Even Max Payne 2 looked better. Which also used Havok for physics and gave a similar effect.

legbone

this game looks amazing. loving the animations of max. euphoria is really showing how great it can be. oh, and the gore is appreciated. i really need to play through the first two now that they are so cheap on god. i bought the first one and played about an hour of it. had fun but not sure i can make myself finish since i'm neck deep in skyrim right now. maybe i will just youtube the story beats of the first two and jump into this one.

tci

Magic Mushroom said:
No way did Max Payne 2 look better and Havok doesn't come remotely close to this.
Not the graphics, the style. I didn't say it comes close, I said had similar effect. Max Payne 3 just looks off. And this over the top video isn't helping at all.

Zep

Banned
I'd like an extra options menu where we could turn the brutality up, Soldier of Fortune style. That would be awesome in slow-mo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Watching it again the hit reactions are probably the best I've ever seen. Realistic without being overdone to the point of comedy. It suits the game really well.

angrybus

Banned
tci said:
Not the graphics, the style. I didn't say it comes close, I said had similar effect. Max Payne 3 just looks off. And this over the top video isn't helping at all.
This seems like the Max Payne game Remedy would always have wanted to make. This video looks really amazing--I'm glad R* understand the importance of physicality in shooters, i.e. making you feel as if you really just shot someone whilst making it super cinematic and over the top.

MrCow

i was really skepitical about this game not coming from remedy.

but after this trailer... wow i'm hyped

it even looks like that you can replay parts of Max Payne 1 and 2 - a fully redone version of both games would be the greatest thing ever but that is probably not happening.

Zep said:
I'd like an extra options menu where we could turn the brutality up, Soldier of Fortune style. That would be awesome in slow-mo.

I wish they would. Soldier of Fortune was awesome and disturbing at the same time. It's nothing like blowing limbs off with a shotgun.

angrybus said:
This seems like the Max Payne game Remedy would always have wanted to make. This video looks really amazing--I'm glad R* understand the importance of physicality in shooters, i.e. making you feel as if you really just shot someone whilst making it super cinematic and over the top.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Remedy did the best with the available technology at the time, but the Euphoria system is on another playing field all together.

It looks like Rockstar took many notes from the previous games to make it feel like Max Payne. I had doubts, but I really don't question the gameplay being Max Payne at all. It's legit. It's just story that I'm a little anxious about.

Fjordson

Remedy's already said R* is sending them builds of the game, getting their feedback and whatnot.

This will, of course, be the best MP game yet. Looks amazing. Probably my most anticipated game of next year (unless GTA V hits).

Dennis

Banned
Looks great.

People were down on RDR before release but that turned out out great.

Never doubt that Rockstar will go all out.

Zep

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Looks great.

People were down on RDR before release but that turned out out great.

Never doubt that Rockstar will go all out.

Down on it before the video series came out, sure...But people(like myself) were hooked after the first one. That has once again happened with MP3.

Fjordson said:
Remedy's already said R* is sending them builds of the game, getting their feedback and whatnot.

This will, of course, be the best MP game yet. Looks amazing. Probably my most anticipated game of next year (unless GTA V hits).
I watched a video of some Remedy staff talking about their relationship with R* on MP3 and yeah, they're consulting on stuff but IIRC it's not to the extend that they;re actually getting builds from them. It's more like a few of Remedy's staff that worked on the Max Payne games were brought to the Rockstar Vancouver offices and gave they're opinions on stuff.

MercuryLS

Banned
I really liked these videos for RDR and it's great to see R* doing them for Max Payne 3. Hope they continue to do them for GTAV.

Game looks really great. Definitely something I will look out for.

Blutonium

tci said:
The animation is good, but the rest looks bad. Even Max Payne 2 looked better. Which also used Havok for physics and gave a similar effect.

Take off the nostalgia goggles. No way in hell Havok gives a 'similar' effect to Euphoria.

putarorex

Looks fantastic.

The death animations are getting disturbing in games these days. I am sure once I kill my 50th brazilian it won't phase me. I could see this getting the "video game are too violent" crowd riled up, even if it gets a M rating.

MercuryLS

Banned
putarorex said:
Looks fantastic.

The death animations are getting disturbing in games these days. I am sure once I kill my 50th brazilian it won't phase me. I could see this getting the "video game are too violent" crowd riled up, even if it gets a M rating.

Yeah, I won't lie...the death animations in this game are bit too gruesome.

jmcca098

Neo Member
Blutonium said:
Take off the nostalgia goggles. No way in hell Havok gives a 'similar' effect to Euphoria.

The havok engine was hilariously retarded. I remember how fucked up the deaths were in Halo 2.

Rewatching that, I noticed that it looks like a baddie loses part of his jaw in one of the "final killcams". Looks like this'll be pretty brutal compared to the sanitised shooters (even M-rated ones) we've seen in recent years.

Ben Pierce said:
I'm wondering if the little things from the first two games are making a comeback such as the tv shows, for example

That'd be a golden opportunity for Rockstar to run wild in typical Rockstar fashion. I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.

Top Bottom