• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: First Hands-On Impressions [GameStar up, SixthAxis etc Incoming 3/1]

Simo

On February 16th, Rockstar invited various online and magazine press outlets in the US and Europe like PC Gamer, thesixthaxis.com, GameStar etc to their New York and London HQs to play Max Payne 3 for the first time including the PC version.

NDA ends on March 1st 12pm EST and thats when the online previews will hit but GameStar Germany has already released their new issue to subscribers containing their impressions and cover story.

I'll try and keep track of the other articles when they're released along with print mag impressions and so I'll update the OP accordingly!
8a4b085a2e68939d240a0f4aea6ea81f9e2fefab.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

PREVIEWS UP!

max_payne_3_prone.jpg

TheSixthAxis
There are no loading screens (unless you die), cut scenes merge seamlessly into game play and Rockstar created a brand new effect never seen before in a video game: during one cut scene Max is sat in a helicopter discussing how he came to be in Sao Paulo and in an instant the scene changes. Max is still in exactly the same pose as before, sitting down, but now he’s at a New York bar, he’s wearing different clothes, unshaven and nursing a whisky.

The whole sequence took less than a minute and as the last thug dropped to the floor the two Rockstar chaps clapped and laughed, “Wow, I’ve never seen anyone tackle it like that, you were totally bad-ass!” they said.

I have to admit I have never been a fan of Rockstar’s open world games, I have never found them as engaging as everyone else so I’m quite surprised just how much I like Max Payne 3. I usually favour the ‘all guns blazing’ approach in most shooters so to find a game that actually rewards the technique rather than penalising it is heavenly.

I have written this final summary paragraph about twenty times with numerous platitudes and recommendations for the game but they never seem to convey my enthusiasm for the title so I will just say this:

Max Payne 3: F*ck yeah!
cfc1879cffa64e72263a96972d4d178c818619e1.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

Game Informer
The second level we play is down by the docks, where the Sombra is keeping Fabiana. By shooting out a wedge behind the tire of parked truck with a silenced pistol, we begin the level with a bit more stealth than we’re accustomed to from Max. However, after blowing our cover, we’re thrown back into the fray. While the level design is straightforward (i.e., run into a new area, shoot everyone), there’s a definitely a learning curve in terms of how to approach each scenario. In one garage area, we also got a look at one of the game’s mini-Bullet Time events. After diving off a walkway, the game automatically went into Bullet Time and I was able to pick off enemies on the ground floor with one-hit kills.

Overall, the base gameplay feels solid, but still needs a bit of polish before it ships – something Rockstar has shown time and again it’s more than capable of doing. I played the bulk of the demo in free-aim mode, but there is also a soft target lock available if you choose (something I was forced to a do in a couple of areas for the sake of time). Bullet Time is still a great gameplay mechanic, even if it doesn’t feel as novel as it did years ago. After all, it’s arguably one of the most imitated gameplay mechanics of all time. It’s certainly challenging – I frequently made use of the “Last Man Standing” feature that allows you to save yourself from death by killing the enemy that shot you.

Based on everything we’ve seen so far, Max Payne 3 appears to be exactly what Rockstar promised in our original cover story: a game that aims to update the Max Payne experience in a new setting and with the best of today’s technology, while remaining true to the traditions of the series. While it would be impossible for Max’s Bullet Time acrobatics to be as groundbreaking as they were all those years ago, the core experience here is still one worth your time.
12732aaa1303678921838fb5eeccd091daec5fda.jpg__939x820_q85.jpg

C&VG - *Great Read*
Max Payne 3 may look like a title that is recycling established tropes. Its story, mechanics and presentation don't sound promising on paper. But the way in which the game's developers have assembled these aspects make the sum gain of their efforts a compelling offering. It's easy to be impressed when you're standing on the outside looking in. Once you're actually in control in Max Payne 3, the experience is mind-blowing.

GameSpy - PC version
One of the most impressive features of MP3 is its animation system, which applies to both Max and his victims. We've seen the Euphoria character physics at work before, in games such as Rockstar's own Grand Theft Auto IV and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, but Max Payne 3 takes it to new levels of action-movie "realism" and hilarity. Besides appreciating the smoothness of Max's basic movement animations, I will probably never tire of making him dive head-long into a wall so I can watch as he crashes into it with bone-crunching force and crumples into a heap. By comparison, in Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, Max's rigid animation doesn't seem to notice when it's bashed against a solid object -- his head just hits the wall and then slides down.

The Guardian - *Great Read*
Max Payne 3 blurs the line between hyper-cool action cinema and cold realism. Imagine a film written and directed for the most part by Michael Mann, but whose action scenes were all choreographed and shot by John Woo, and you're starting to get the picture. This gritty hyper-reality is evident in all of the presentation and it also informs the game's plot.

Rockstar have clearly put a lot of effort into making Max Payne 3 one of this year's premier shooters. The game looks fantastic, handles beautifully and the depth of content in both its in-game design and settings seems to offer a ton of replay value. Not only that, it's story, which is set up in such a straightforward manner, seems to hint that intriguing denouement is on the cards for the game's titular character.

Players should look forward to a tale of greed, betrayal and decadence wrapped in sleek, cool mechanics that allow them to tackle it one bullet at a time.

Destructoid
As you use bullet-time, you can press the A button (on the Xbox 360 controller) to slow time down to a near-standstill, and whenever you kill the last enemy in the room, you're treated to a final kill-cam that lets you watch as the blood splatters realistically out of a dude's head while you're still pumping him with bullets. This seriously never gets old, and I found myself abusing the mechanic as much as possible.

After jumping back into the game to finish the docks segment, I came away from the whole experience incredibly pumped for what Max Payne 3 will have to offer. With a cohesive storyline that's told in a similar but more evolved fashion and tight combat mechanics that make you feel like the bad-ass that Max Payne always has been, I sincerely cannot wait until this game comes out in May.

Any fears I had about where Rockstar was taking the series have been effectively put to rest, and I can't wait to glue myself to the television set to see how Max's story will progress.
max_payne_3_dive.jpg

GameTrailers
Whereas most shooters are content to deliver an up close melee attack by throwing an elbow or smacking an enemy with the butt of a gun, Max Payne 3 goes an extra, brutal step. In this game, Max finishes the job. It's a one-two smack in the face with Max's pistol, then a point blank round right to the face of Max's target. It's ugly, violent and hugely satisfying to unload into your enemies this way.

G4TV
Moving from a running position to rolling to diving--all the while shooting, reloading, and popping painkillers mind you--has a remarkable smoothness to it. One of the best examples of this is the way Max recovers after pulling off one of his patented dive maneuvers. Assuming his aerial path is clear (if he hits a wall or other obstruction in mid jump, he’ll crumple to the ground realistically), you can shoot in all directions, aided by the time-slowing bullet time effect. Cool enough, no?

However, once Max lands, he can continue to shoot from the ground without a skip in the animations. As he stands up, he can keep shooting and even reload if need be, again without a hiccup. I mean, you can roll over a dropped weapon, and Max will pick it up during the role and be ready to fire it by the time he’s right side up again. Not too shabby for a soon-to-be AARP subscriber, eh?
GameStar Germany 4/12 Edition
bigimagMAX.jpg

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I wonder what specs the PC version was being played on and if the PS3 version was on hand.

Also when would they release the system reqs? Need to plan my upgrade accordingly.

Simo

I wonder what specs the PC version was being played on and if the PS3 version was on hand.

Also when would they release the system reqs? Need to plan my upgrade accordingly.

Rockstar keep saying they'll release the specs closer to release..even though there's only like 2 months left. I think all 3 versions may of been shown but since GameStar and PC Gamer are PC mags they got to play that version. We'll find out Thursday.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I will kinda miss the real comic scenes, but the rest of the info is absolutely awesome! Can't wait to play it!

No load times throughout the whole game including cutscenes.

There's also a "Morale" system in place for the A.I in that if you play like badass ex-cop shoot dodging hitting headshots and being aggressive then the rest of the gang members will actually turn and run away. Likewise if you suck then the enemy will become more aggressive AGAINST you.

I'm liking it, I'm liking it...

Fjordson

The lack of any load times and the differences with the enemy A.I. depending on who you're fighting are great touches. And your loadout being persistent in cutscenes. Gotta love R*'s attention to detail.

I'll miss the old style comics, but I do think the real-time example from the Design & Tech video looked cool and will probably help with their desire to make everything seamless as far as transitions between levels and cutscenes. Having everything real-time keeps it nicely consistent.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hurry up, May.

2012 is ridiculous for highly-anticipated threequels: Max Payne 3, BioShock Infinite (the third in the series), Assassin's Creed 3, Diablo 3, Half-Life 3... and probably more. What a year.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Yeah, I'm curious as to how the PS3 version is going to stack up. I'm hoping that since this is a more linear game the 360/PS3 gap will be a bit smaller this time around.

More hard-boiled and less whiny eh?

Looks like MP2 Max gradually shifts back into his rampaging MP1 self as the story goes on.

AEREC

I really dont think Ill be able to hold out for the PC version...gonna break and get the 360 version since this is one of my most anticipated games this year.

Sethos

Banned
Still disappointed over the fact they decide to release the PC version after the Console version. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Dilly

Banned
I'm convinced that this is going to be a great game, not sure if it's going to be a great Max Payne game though.

Rockstar is going all out for this one

I saw the most recent trailer like 5-6 times on HuluPlus over the weekend, it was nuts! (^___^)

My wife couldn't stop laughing because I was grinning ear to ear each time it ran

Blutonium

I really dont think Ill be able to hold out for the PC version...gonna break and get the 360 version since this is one of my most anticipated games this year.

Me too, I'm definitely going to double dip. I'll sell the console version of course, but there is no way I'm going to wait any longer for this game.

And I'll say it again: Euphoria was invented for this series.

gunbo13

Painkillers are back and can provide a life saver with "Last Man Standing", a feature that when the enemy delivers the killing blow but you have 1 painkiller left then the game shows you the enemy who dealt that shot and gives you one last chance in taking them out in Bullet-Time and recovering with a small amount of health. Don't have a painkiller? Game Over and you restart from the last checkpoint.
Obnoxious. Why does every death these days have a catch?
There's also a "Morale" system in place for the A.I in that if you play like badass ex-cop shoot dodging hitting headshots and being aggressive then the rest of the gang members will actually turn and run away. Likewise if you suck then the enemy will become more aggressive AGAINST you.
How is that a "morale" system?
Hype is falling for me on this one.
Yea. Sounds like a cross of FEAR and Conviction. :(

woober

I dont't know. The motion comics don't have the same flair as the graphic novel's filter and artistic style. Hopefully I'm wrong. Looking forward to multiplayer info.

Simo

How is that a "morale" system?

How is it not? If you start wiping out the gang members and paramilitary group members with ease then their morale is going to drop and rather than engage you and face getting killed they're going to turn and run. Likewise if you're doing poorly, example of constantly getting hit and always using cover unsuccessfully, then the morale of the group will go up and the enemies become more aggressive.

Also I can only find out that the 360 and PC versions were the only versions playable, so no PS3 love yet.

How is it not? If you start wiping out the gang members and paramilitary group members with ease then their morale is going to drop and rather than engage you and face getting killed they're going to turn and run. Likewise if you're doing poorly, example of constantly getting hit and always using cover unsuccessfully, then the morale of the group will go up and the enemies become more aggressive.

Also I can only find out that the 360 and PC versions were the only versions playable, so no PS3 love yet.

I think he confused 'moral' and 'morale'

Simo

should I play the first two?

Yes, yes and yes.

They're both still great TPS, though Max Payne 1 graphically is a bit dated, but if you can get them then I'd definitely recommend it. I think a bunch of Gaffers including myself I going to do the big replay of both games in April.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yes, yes and yes.

They're both still great TPS, though Max Payne 1 graphically is a bit dated, but if you can get them then I'd definitely recommend it. I think a bunch of Gaffers including myself I going to do the big replay of both games in April.

I hope they get a PSN release or something. I don't have them any more and would love to do a GAF Plays for these. I guess I'll be able to at least do the iOS version of MP1 :/

should I play the first two?

Yeah, they hold up really well. They are on XBLA, but not PSN and not HD remakes to date, which blows. You could get 'em on PC too.

Definitely worth playing. You'll probably appreciate MP3 more if you play it (though I assume it's not mandatory)

It'd be awesome if they used a Poets of the Fall track in MP3 at some point. Been listening to them again for a few days, their music is sooooo good.

K' Dash

Yeah, they hold up really well. They are on XBLA, but not PSN and not HD remakes to date, which blows. You could get 'em on PC too.

Definitely worth playing. You'll probably appreciate MP3 more if you play it (though I assume it's not mandatory)

It'd be awesome if they used a Poets of the Fall track in MP3 at some point. Been listening to them again for a few days, their music is sooooo good.

I'll try them.

-BLITZ-

Real time gameplay comics ... but Why ;(
Those things made both games to be like a briliant noire, cop, drama, love movies. The feelings man, they gave you feelings.

What happens if a glitch occurs: arms, eyes, teeths; uh! :(

Real time gameplay comics ... but Why ;(
Those things made both games to be like a briliant noire, cop, drama, love movies. The feelings man, they gave you feelings.

What happens if a glitch occurs: arms, eyes, teeths; uh! :(

I read somewhere that R* is working super-hard on these (the cutscenes will reflect Max's damage and current inventory too), so hopefully glitches and crap like that will be smoothed out by the time of release.

jgminto

I think the motion comics are better for what they are trying to do. It seems they are trying to make this a continuous experience and stopping the game for comic strips could really pull the player out of the action.

-BLITZ-

I read somewhere that R* is working super-hard on these (the cutscenes will reflect Max's damage and current inventory too), so hopefully glitches and crap like that will be smoothed out by the time of release.

I hope so, it's good to hear but what happend with the first leaked comics from scans and those were art made, Gamestar cover example. I know that could take a lot of time for any artist but this could be a good choice too.

I hope so, it's good to hear but what happend with the first leaked comics from scans and those were art made, Gamestar cover example. I know that could take a lot of time for any artist but this could be a good choice too.

It's just concept art like R* does for all their titles.

Guri

It is strange because, normally, favela gangs don't really have tactics, compared to a trained military group, for example. At least we saw that on Rio de Janeiro. São Paulo may be different. But it is good as a challenge. Anyway, I'm sure that it will be an excellent scenario for the game, while keeping the New York flashbacks so that the first two games are remembered in some ways.

It is strange because, normally, favela gangs don't really have tactics, compared to a trained military group, for example. At least we saw that on Rio de Janeiro. São Paulo may be different. But it is good as a challenge. Anyway, I'm sure that it will be an excellent scenario for the game, while keeping the New York flashbacks so that the first two games are remembered in some ways.

Do favela gangs just run around shooting like psychos? That's how I imagine it.

Guri

Do favela gangs just run around shooting like psychos? That's how I imagine it.

When they are "losing", every man is for himself. Look this, for example. BOPE and the police went to a favela and they started running. At 4:05, you can see a man shot by a sniper.

This happened in Rio.

Fjordson

They actually mentioned that in one of the designs & tech videos. How fighting, say, favela gang members will be different than fighting the mob back in New York or special forces because because different types of enemies all have different tactics and levels of expertise as far as fire fights go. Sounds like a pretty cool detail.

Unless that's already what you were referring to. Then ignore me :lol

Top Bottom