• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: First Hands-On Impressions [GameStar up, SixthAxis etc Incoming 3/1]

They actually mentioned that in one of the designs & tech videos. How fighting, say, favela gang members will be different than fighting the mob back in New York or special forces because because different types of enemies all have different tactics and levels of expertise as far as fire fights go. Sounds like a pretty cool detail.

Unless that's already what you were referring to. Then ignore me :lol

It's gonna wind up like fighting those murderous suits and Cold Steel guys in the first game. Fuck those guys.

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing how these tiers of antagonists, or "antagotiers" will be implemented. But fuck the suits in the first game.

Dacon

Banned
It's gonna wind up like fighting those murderous suits and Cold Steel guys in the first game. Fuck those guys.

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing how these tiers of antagonists, or "antagotiers" will be implemented. But fuck the suits in the first game.

Remember the bit where you're assaulting the tower at the end, and they were fucking everywhere with grenade launchers and shit

I have nightmares about that crap

There's also a "Morale" system in place for the A.I in that if you play like badass ex-cop shoot dodging hitting headshots and being aggressive then the rest of the gang members will actually turn and run away. Likewise if you suck then the enemy will become more aggressive AGAINST you.

Dang.

AEREC

Anyone know if the content in the CE will be available separately for standard users? Particularly the multiplayer skins?

Ive got the 360 CE on preorder but I dont really need all the other stuff in it (Statue, Lithographs, etc...).

New wallpapers:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...eries-wallpapers-featuring-killcam-shoot.html

maxpayne3_action8_640x360.jpg

maxpayne3_action9_640x360.jpg

maxpayne3_action7_640x360.jpg

Simo

Anyone know if the content in the CE will be available separately for standard users? Particularly the multiplayer skins?

Ive got the 360 CE on preorder but I dont really need all the other stuff in it (Statue, Lithographs, etc...).

Most likely as Rockstar were pretty good with that on Red Dead where the released the Limited Edition content of the Deadly Assassin outfit along with the other scrapped outfits for free to players, but they probably won't be available until a lot further down the road after release.

I'm interested to see how the CQC and disarming gameplay is implemented.

I think I remember one magazine article describing that when you get it in close and melee a button prompt pops up for stealing the weapon and executing, probably similar to Uncharted?

15 hours until those previews hit! Can't wait!! Hopefully they'll include some new screenshots, and a long shot, some new footage!

Most likely as Rockstar were pretty good with that on Red Dead where the released the Limited Edition content of the Deadly Assassin outfit along with the other scrapped outfits for free to players, but they probably won't be available until a lot further down the road after release.

I think I remember one magazine article describing that when you get it in close and melee a button prompt pops up for stealing the weapon and executing, probably similar to Uncharted?

15 hours until those previews hit! Can't wait!! Hopefully they'll include some new screenshots, and a long shot, some new footage!

Ditto

Fjordson

Really hope we get some genuinely new info.

And we're probably due for a new design & tech video within the next week or two. Can't wait. Every new round of footage has been more impressive than the last.

According to this, there will be a new trailer on March the 6th-11th, corresponding to a contest that Gamestop will have.

Mission 3 (March 6, 2012 through March 11, 2012)
Visit GameStop’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/GameStop to watch the Max Payne 3 trailer and answer a trivia question to be entered for the chance to be featured on a tombstone.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Lazlow was talking about going to Sao Paulo to record dialogue on Opie and Anthony Tuesday. It sounded absolutely insane.

The Sixth Axis preview sounds awesome. That little bit about the transition and Rockstar's engine is a pretty neat tidbit. Also, the glitchy effect when Max is injured sounds kind of like the one used in Dog Days.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There's also a "Morale" system in place for the A.I in that if you play like badass ex-cop shoot dodging hitting headshots and being aggressive then the rest of the gang members will actually turn and run away. Likewise if you suck then the enemy will become more aggressive AGAINST you.

I get how this is a good simulation of human behavior, but in gameplay terms, doesn't this mean that virtuosic players will essentially be punished by having fewer enemies to fight and express their virtuosity, while bad players will feel overwhelmed?

There's probably more to it than the quote describes, but I'm curious about it.

Simo

Thanks gonna read them later, i really want to know how well it plays on consoles.

I'm reading a few as I update the OP with links and quotes. So far they've been positive and cover quite a few new things. Of course reading them just makes the 2 month wait seem even longer now...=/

I'm reading a few as I update the OP with links and quotes. So far they've been positive and cover quite a few new things. Of course reading them just makes the 2 month wait seem even longer now...=/

In the CVG preview, this was especially interesting for me

The controls feel great; the larger weapons give a meaty kick when fired, cover sliding feels smooth and Max's bullet-time combat is fun to execute and looks absolutely jaw-dropping on screen. The Euphoria engine powering all this action presents everything flawlessly; there's no pop-in and the frame-rate never slows regardless of how many enemies pour in.

Yeah, i'm sensitive about that stuff.

I get how this is a good simulation of human behavior, but in gameplay terms, doesn't this mean that virtuosic players will essentially be punished by having fewer enemies to fight and express their virtuosity, while bad players will feel overwhelmed?

There's probably more to it than the quote describes, but I'm curious about it.

speculating here, but i think it's more a case of the following:

if you spend too long in cover, enemies will 'become more agressive' and press you, where as if you consistantly press enemies in cover, they won't hang around in cover for as long and 'flee' aka fall back. i don't think they'll be fleeing out of the level or anything.

i think it's just something to balance the game for different play styles. if enemies hang around in cover that'd make the game easier for people who constantly flank the enemies in cover, and for people who hang back in cover taking the occasional pot shot out of cover at whatever part of the enemy occasionally leaves cover.

the 'morale' system just seems like a fancy name for 'enemies don't hang around in cover, they react to how you move through the level' to me ;).

Simo

Read through a few of the previews...Awesome.

I've updated the OP with links, quotes and some of the new screenshots and art. Any chance a mod could fix the thread title to reflect the previews are now online?

Wow, reading through some of these previews is really getting me hyped for this game. Sounds completely and utterly awesome. Got a few more to read, but I am on board now!

Jtrizzy

Wow so much info to sift through. Thanks for updating the op. I'd love to hear more specifics about how the PC version looks. Hate to hear that they aren't showing the PS3 version though, hopefully they don't use that TAA/blur filter or whatever it is in this game.

Top Bottom