• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3: First Hands-On Impressions [GameStar up, SixthAxis etc Incoming 3/1]

Even Kurt Sutter is hyped. >.<

rULHc.jpg

Hot damn. That's neat.

Imagine the following. John Woo. Michael Mann. Playing co-op with each other.

Fjordson

Lmao. That art above is awesome, but the super mean faces are making me a chuckle a bit. Bad ass, though.

I'm pretty surprised that R* isn't going with one or two core composers for the soundtrack. It's worked so well for them in the past.

But I guess I have liked what we've heard so far so, we'll see.

You know, reading the Facebook comments on Rockstar's facebook page feels retarded. Every Max Payne post has 65-75% of the posts whining about GTA5 news and how no one cares about Max Payne.

I hope they cancel GTA5. Just so I can see the meltdown.

Fjordson

You know, reading the Facebook comments on Rockstar's facebook page feels retarded. Every Max Payne post has 65-75% of the posts whining about GTA5 news and how no one cares about Max Payne.

Yeah, it gets a little annoying. Happens on their YouTube videos as well since they can't police the comments like they can on the R* Newswire. "FUCK THIS, NO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT MAX PAYNE! MAYBE MAX DIES AND NIKO AND VERCETTI AND CJ SHOW UP IN THE GAME INSTEAD! JUST LIKE GTA 5 TRAILER! THUMBS UP FOR MORE GTA AND NO MORE MAX PAYNE SHIT!"

:lol

As excited as I am for GTA's return, it's not like we're getting any concrete or interesting info any time soon. Almost wonder if they could have held off on the trailer until May.

Yeah, it gets a little annoying. Happens on their YouTube videos as well since they can't police the comments like they can on the R* Newswire. "FUCK THIS, NO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT MAX PAYNE! MAYBE MAX DIES AND NIKO AND VERCETTI AND CJ SHOW UP IN THE GAME INSTEAD! JUST LIKE GTA 5 TRAILER! THUMBS UP FOR MORE GTA AND NO MORE MAX PAYNE SHIT!"

:lol

As excited as I am for GTA's return, it's not like we're getting any concrete or interesting info any time soon. Almost wonder if they could have held off on the trailer until May.

God, the Youtube comments are even worse!

I've got a feeling most of those fuckers will give a shit about Max Payne come May!

Let's hope so, Lemon. Let's hope so.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
This game is going to force me to upgrade my PC, I know that it's certain the PS3 version will be straight up dog doodoo. I want to eat my words R*, prove me wrong!!!!!!

DarkChild

Banned

Thats because R* knows majority of their fans will buy MP3, but they are keeping them on tight leash and by not giving them any GTAV info they are "forced" to keep an eye on MP3. They might me mad with no GTAV info, but they will buy MP3 when it hits the stores.

Simo

Lmao. That art above is awesome, but the super mean faces are making me a chuckle a bit. Bad ass, though.

I'm pretty surprised that R* isn't going with one or two core composers for the soundtrack. It's worked so well for them in the past.

But I guess I have liked what we've heard so far so, we'll see.

Well while HEALTH is doing most of the score, others have contributed to the soundtrack as well including Pedro Bromfman and local Brazilian musicians. Rockstar said they'll reveal more as we get close to May along with the final box art in the next couple of weeks.

Well while HEALTH is doing most of the score, others have contributed to the soundtrack as well including Pedro Bromfman and local Brazilian musicians. Rockstar said they'll reveal more as we get close to May along with the final box art in the next couple of weeks.

I'm hoping the McCaffrey interview comes soon. I'm interested in that.

Hope the final box art is awesome... needs to be twice as badass as the RDR cover, and that is plenty badass.

256px-Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg

Simo

I'm hoping the McCaffrey interview comes soon. I'm interested in that.

Hope the final box art is awesome... needs to be twice as badass as the RDR cover, and that is plenty badass.

256px-Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg

Yeah he hasn't really done any, at least for talking about Max Payne anyways so I hope they're video interviews or at the very least audio. Listening to the guy talk is always awesome because he always sounds like Max.

I remember when reactions to RDR's cover art was negative at first on GAF, myself included but it definitely grew on me and I loved L.A Noire's artwork. We will be getting the final box art for Max Payne 3 this month, maybe even this week...

Fjordson

There was an earlier placeholder art for Red Dead that I liked somewhat better. I think it was mostly white, and Marston had a hat on if I'm remembering correctly, but the final version is great as well.

Also, any Bombcast fans should get on the newest episode. Ryan played the demo R* was showing last month and seemed to really like it. Some good general discussion about the tone and feel of the game. Hype get for sure.

And he says the melee kills are amazing (and amazingly brutal). Interesting to note since I don't know if we've really seen one yet.

Edit: This is the art I remember - http://www.ps3informer.com/playstation-3/images/red_dead_redemption cover.jpg - I sort of like that version of Marston better. The hat is crucial.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/max-payne-3-is-rockstar-s-biggest-launch-ever/092395

Rockstar’s Max Payne 3 will explode at retail this summer, supported by the publisher’s biggest UK campaign to date.

Marketing efforts will be centred around the release of the Xbox 360 and PS3 SKUs on May 18th, targeting both fans of the shooter series and a wider audience of action gamers.

Highlights of the campaign will include prominent TV spots during the Champions’ League finals and other mainstream programming, as well as a national outdoor campaign. The latter will see billboards and roadside bus shelter posters spread across the UK for two weeks after the game’s release.

“Max Payne 3 will be our biggest and boldest marketing effort thus far and we’ve looked to improve across all areas on what we did for Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire,” a Rockstar spokesperson told MCV.

“A massive media investment has already started, but the main launch thrust will coincide with Easter all the way through to beyond the PC release on June 1st.”

Retail is already playing its part, as Rockstar has worked closely with partners on its timed Special Edition. This new initiative encourages pre-orders by only making the premium SKU and its extras available until April 2nd.

“It’s bound to be a brilliant game and, as a Rockstar title, it has a fantastic heritage to draw on, and will hopefully follow in the tradition of L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption,” said HMV senior games buyer Jason Brooks.

“It’s a sequel that’s been nearly nine years in the making, so you can understand the anticipation building around it.”

Rockstar’s rep added: “We have very high expectations. The response from retail has been overwhelmingly positive and for that we are incredibly grateful for their trust and belief in us and Max Payne 3.”

Angry Fork

Game will be great. Scenery is still atrocious to me and one of the worst disservices to a god-tier franchise ever. Max Payne 1/2 are the best shooters ever made and atmospheric perfection. This game tosses away what I loved most about the first 2 (Nighttime New York, oppressive Lynchian atmosphere, winter etc.). Those parts of this game will likely only be 15% of it if that, in some flashback bullshit.

At least Alan Wake manuscripts had a nice little close to Max Payne's character. This game is a side story, it will be fun and well made but I refuse to consider it canon.

A new article from yesterday, preview by The Verge with some comments by Jeronimo Barrera on "realism":

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/6/2839844/max-payne-3-bruce-willis

I liked this bit

Maybe that's what's missing from shooters these days. They're so gun obsessed that they often forget there's someone behind that gun, just trying to cope with the recoil and the circumstances happening around him.

Max Payne 3 doesn't forget. It basks in the glow of Max's humanity, warts and all.

Fjordson

Champion's League marketing in the UK? Wow. R* really is a behemoth of a company at this point.

I've been seeing a lot commercials over here (U.S.) and know a few friends now who have seen it on line. Especially on Hulu.

More soundtrack details:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...soundtrack-details-so-paulos-own-emicida.html

emicida_640(1).jpg

Earlier this week, we brought you some first details about Max Payne 3's soundtrack with word of L.A. rock ensemble HEALTH's work crafting the game's unique original score (heard in dramatic fashion in the most recent Official Trailer).

Today, we're proud to announce that another key contributor to the game's aural action is celebrated São Paulo rap star Emicida - one of the leaders in a movement that's helped make São Paulo a veritable hip-hop capital for Brazil. Emicida is known for his tough and raw rhymes and freestyles ('Emicida' being a fusion of the words 'emcee' and 'homicide') and for his dedication not only to aesthetics but to imparting important messages of social justice as it relates to the downtrodden of his city and country. Winner of Act of the Year in the 2011 MTV VMB Awards, Emicida's regarded as one of the biggest icons in Brazilian music today and has rocked mega festivals around the world from Rock in Rio to SWU, Sonar, Planet, Atlantis to Coachella.

We reached out to Emicida last week for his candid thoughts on what it's been like working on original music for the game:

"Antes de mais nada, sou fã de video games, como disse nas primeiras reuniões sobre o jogo, temos aqui na Laboratório Fantasma uma admiração muito grande pela Rockstar pois todos, sem excessão somos fãs de GTA, entre outros titulos lançados por eles. Ter a oportunidade de fazer parte do Jogo Max Payne 3 foi muito especial, compor para o jogo então, foi como um sonho, trabalhar com uma história tão densa, obscura onde temos uma trama que se passa na cidade de São Paulo, minha amada São Paulo, é nisso que eu quis me apegar, no inferno astral do personagem somado a paisagem caótica da maior cidade da américa latina, com seus contrastes e cenários, tensão, violência, corrupção, principalmente em um momento tão delicado da história de São Paulo, onde presenciamos uma onda de ataques politicos contra a população de menor renda... estou ansioso para o lançamento e vai ser foda!!" - Emicida

("Before anything else, I&#8217;m a huge fan of video games as I shared with you guys during our first meetings regarding the game. Here at Laboratório Fantasma (Records), we have a great admiration for Rockstar and we are, without exception, fans of GTA, among other titles that Rockstar has released. Having the opportunity to be part of the game Max Payne 3 was really special. Creating a song for the game was simply like a dream. We worked along a storyline that is dense, obscure and that takes place in the city of São Paulo, our beloved São Paulo. My intention was to hold on to this idea, that of an astrological inferno &#8211; when all the planets are aligned against you &#8211; of a character immersed in a chaotic landscape in the largest city of Latin America, with its contrasts and scenarios of tension, violence, corruption, and especially at this very delicate moment in São Paulo&#8217;s history where we witness a wave of political attacks against our low-income communities... I am eagerly awaiting the release of the game and it&#8217;s gonna be f***ing awesome!!! - Emicida)

We'll have more details including info and a first listen of the original song he created for the game soon...

Simo

News doesn't really do anything for me. =/

New Design & Tech video is coming next week or the following week though!

Another preview from IGN that focuses a lot on Euphoria:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220528p1.html

Interview with band Health about scoring Max Payne 3.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45682-health-talk-max-payne-3-score/

Good interview, thanks for posting it, codhand. It's good that they're gonna incorporate old Max Payne music into the soundtrack, put a new twist on it. I'm definitely amped for the soundtrack after RDR and LAN knocked that out of the park. I've listened to a few HEALTH songs over the past week, and it's pretty interesting stuff.

Another preview from IGN that focuses a lot on Euphoria:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220528p1.html

IGN Preview said:
The Euphoria integration naturally extends to the enemies too, similar to what you've seen in GTA IV and RDR before. What you get with Euphoria is more than simple rag dolls, or pre-animated location-sensitive death animations. You get enemies reacting dynamically depending on where they've been struck, how fast they were moving at the time, and by the calibre of the bullet that struck them. A few quick pistol slugs to the central mass of one goon may see him flop to the ground like a puppet with his strings cut, but a sniper bullet to the shoulder of another will see him spinning into the surrounding stadium seating in a flurry of flailing limbs. A shot to the arm should disable it; don't expect the kind of bullet-sponge enemies you get in the likes of Uncharted 3. Naughty Dog's latest may be world class in many ways but being shot is a serious matter, and Max Payne 3's enemies don't just shake it off.

This is what I believe will set this game apart from other shooters, gameplay wise, especially if they avoided monster closets at every turn. The softness of shooting people, and the haphazardly designed arena shootouts in Uncharted 3 were HUGE problems IMO. Almost none of the shootouts felt as well designed as Uncharted 2, and it seriously hurt the replayability of the game for me.

UrbanRats

Now, i hope NotTheGuyYouKill won't hate me for saying this (don't want to derail or anything) but after reading the previews in the OP.. i seriously hope they've learnt and took as much from this game as possible, to put into GTAV.
It'll be hard going from (what seems) a perfect shooting mechanic like seems to have, to some clunky stuff like GTA4 (RDR was better, but still far from this level).
They kinda did it with Manhunt --> San Andreas (with the stealth elements) so why not? It all sounds unbelievably good.

Fjordson

I don't think that's an unreasonable hope. Euphoria implementation and combat are two of the many things that R* continues to get better at. Don't think it'll be quite as good as MP 3 seems, but I'm sure it'll be improved over RDR.

I'm dying for some new info. Feels like it's been forever...though I keep forgetting that we still have two whole months until this drops =(

Now, i hope NotTheGuyYouKill won't hate me for saying this (don't want to derail or anything) but after reading the previews in the OP.. i seriously hope they've learnt and took as much from this game as possible, to put into GTAV.
It'll be hard going from (what seems) a perfect shooting mechanic like seems to have, to some clunky stuff like GTA4 (RDR was better, but still far from this level).
They kinda did it with Manhunt --> San Andreas (with the stealth elements) so why not? It all sounds unbelievably good.

Nah man, I agree with you. They keep iterating their engine and Euphoria. After MP3, there is no excuse not to have excellent shooting in GTAV.

All of this is so surreal to me. Back in the ps1/ps2 days, R* was never known for their shooting mechanics; it was the most crippled part of their games. Now they're on the forefront of shooting mechanics/animation, and they've raised the quality bar so high that anything since RDR, barring Max Payne 3 of course, is inferior, imo.

I dunno if it was posted, but Gamespot did a 'Ask Gamespot' about Max Payne 3, a 10 minute video where viewer questions were taken and answered. Wide variety of questions are asked, gameplay and narrative stuff. A lot of it is dealt in the previous, but it's worth a watch. Pretty decent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-BaFuexXTs

lol @ this question:

Max Payne is a distinctly American character. How much of the American idealism of Max Payne, the character, has been lost or preserved by moving the game to Brazil?

That's deep.

Top Bottom