• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 PC Features Detailed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All of a sudden, the game is freezing on a black screen as soon as it loads (the initial screen of the legal crap appears, then promptly disappears). Any ideas?

Longshot

All of a sudden, the game is freezing on a black screen as soon as it loads (the initial screen of the legal crap appears, then promptly disappears). Any ideas?

I've had this since it launched and still can't play the damn thing, I'd love to know a fix.

MrCow

for retail try:

alt+tab right at the launch of the game and then clicking the pause and cancel button like a madmen on the auto updater - alt+tab again and the game runs like it should

i have the retail version and always got stuck in the menu while initialising

i also tried everything before that was suggested in all the forums

did run both .exe files with compability mode set to win7 and run as admin, not sure if this helped do the trick but it won't run without me alt+tabbing first and klickin around

for steam issues check the max payne 3 forums on steampowered.com

JaseC

for steam issues check the max payne 3 forums on steampowered.com

The only pertinent fix seems to be to moving the game to C: and using a cracked exe, but my OS drive is just a 60GB SSD with ~20GB free.

Edit: Running the game in safe mode works, but you can't change any graphics settings that require a restart as restarting reverts back to the safe mode settings. The game was working just fine yesterday -- nothing has changed as far as my PC is concerned.

Something weird happened to me

I was at the level in that sports stadium and its before the sniper rifle bit and its where you see those guys down the bottom of the stairs.

Its like all the ground was flashing / flickering black shadows or something.
Restarted the game and it was still there but after I moved to the next section it was gone.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Jtrizzy

I usually have some issue with just about every game, but this has been nearly flawless on my 580. Everything maxed with tessellation on normal and no msaa. I don't get tearing or stuttering when panning. Not a single crash or problem.

Something weird happened to me

I was at the level in that sports stadium and its before the sniper rifle bit and its where you see those guys down the bottom of the stairs.

Its like all the ground was flashing / flickering black shadows or something.
Restarted the game and it was still there but after I moved to the next section it was gone.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have noticed some oddities like blood pools only appearing when i get up close to them, and i definitely noticed strange shadowing on the stadium. Im going to try changing the DX level and see if that resolves any of it.

A chilling thought hit me today, the mouse aim reminds me of Lost Planet ...... sensitivity changing based on the frame rate :( Please, R*, look into it. This is the same engine as GTA IV correct ? Pretty sure that didnt have a problem like this.

Game runs silky smooth maxed out (bar MSAA and Tessellation) and looks amazing, could just do with a few tweaks to the mouse aim (and maybe a bit better UI, everything should be doable with the mouse which it currently isnt, would be nice if the selections highlighted when the cursor is over them too to point out there clickable).

Edit - Oh i also quite like the new R* Social Club thing, actually integrated (not a separate program ?), and pretty much replaces the need for GFWL in any future R* games :D Although i think the servers are being hammered because it can sure take awhile to login sometimes.

Salsa

Edit - Oh i also quite like the new R* Social Club thing, actually integrated (not a separate program ?)

yup LA Noire debuted that. Been great and painless ever since. Game even recognizes your steam cd key and registers the game without you having to input it. Kinda sad that we're used to expecting otherwise.

Card Boy

Banned
The game runs very smooth on my 5870, download finally finished after 3 days. I got it maxed out on DX11, only thing I changed was FXAA to normal instead of very high. It looks fairly close to 60fps, I have some screen tearing in SP but none in multi but that's because I took off Vsync.

Good job Rockstar.

Out of curiosity... I read in another forum a guy claiming that roughly 60% of the size of this game is used to store these high resolution prerendered cutscenes.
Is this actually the case? Cause judging from the comments and screenshots in this thread I though those 30 giga were mostly used in high-res textures.

8 GB is for the movies, 10 GB is for the levels, 5 GB is for the model data and 3 GB is for the audio.

This game is great and looks good too but, unfortunately, I had problems running it post-install due to installing it to a custom path with spaces in the name (retail disc version by the way as I didn't fancy having to download 28 GB of data). Turned out I had to remove the spaces (you can replace them with an underscore '_' if you like) and make a registry tweak in order to get the game to run. I contacted Rockstar about it and they say they're aware of the issue and are working on a fix to be released very soon. The worst part is that this is the EXACT same issue that L.A. Noire had and I told them about it last year!!!

Another oddity about the game is that 4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High looks noticeably jaggier than 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High, which simply doesn't make any sense to me. MSAA on its own works though but is inferior to FXAA=Very High. I haven't been able to test 8xMSAA as my GTX 680 cards lack VRAM (the game needs 4.3 GB with 8xMSAA or 2.15 GB per GPU).

Here's a comparison I made, granted it's not the best because I couldn't get the angles the same and the site I uploaded the pictures too downscaled them from 1920x1200 to 1600x100: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4332692&postcount=26

So I've playing with 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High for now on maxed out settings and the performance has been flawless. Very enjoyable game too so far (Chapter IV Part 1).

Sethos

Banned
MSAA on its own works though but is inferior to FXAA=Very High. I haven't been able to test 8xMSAA as my GTX 680 cards lack VRAM (the game needs 4.3 GB with 8xMSAA or 2.15 GB per GPU).

Depends on your definition of inferior. Does it smooth out more than MSAA currently? Yes. Does it also ruin the entire image with smudge? Yes.

Depends on your definition of inferior. Does it smooth out more than MSAA currently? Yes. Does it also ruin the entire image with smudge? Yes.

FXAA hardly 'ruins' the image IMO and MSAA on its own leaves a lot of jagged edges from my playthrough so neither AA solution on their own is ideal. Combined though they should almost completely eliminate jaggies as they did in Skyrim for example, another game, albeit a DX9 one, that supported FXAA and MSAA. Sadly, they don't as it actually looks worst than using FXAA on its own (which is what I don't understand)!

However, given that Max Payne 3 has higher resolution textures than most PC multiformat games the slight blur is hardly noticeable and overall the effect of using FXAA on Very High is apparently the same as 8xMSAA but without the performance overhead ( check this article out: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/06/01/max_payne_3_iq_performance_preview_reviewers_guide ). DX11 MSAA does not seem to be working properly me but perhaps it's a driver bug related to the GTX 600 cards?

Sethos

Banned
FXAA hardly 'ruins' the image IMO and MSAA on its own leaves a lot of jagged edges from my playthrough so neither AA solution on their own is ideal. Combined though they should almost completely eliminate jaggies as they did in Skyrim for example, another game, albeit a DX9 one, that supported FXAA and MSAA. Sadly, they don't as it actually looks worst than using FXAA on its own (which is what I don't understand)!

However, given that Max Payne 3 has higher resolution textures than most PC multiformat games the slight blur is hardly noticeable and overall the effect of using FXAA on Very High is apparently the same as 8xMSAA but without the performance overhead ( check this article out: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/06/01/max_payne_3_iq_performance_preview_reviewers_guide ). DX11 MSAA does not seem to be working properly me but perhaps it's a driver bug related to the GTX 600 cards?

FXAA ruins the image completely. Look at the comparisons, look at every single FXAA posted screenshot and you can see the cling film filter on every single one of them. It's completely smudged and unbearable to look at. MSAA leaves a few objects aliased yet the image remain completely clear and crisp. However it still seems there's room for improvement plus the performance impact seems bigger than normal.

It's like someone ran a photoshop smudge brush across the entire image http://international.download.nvidi...ti-Aliasing-Versus-4x-MSAA-Anti-Aliasing.html Even adds a grey / smog filter on top of everything, whilst it's enhanced by the club smoke it's apparent in every FXAA picture I've seen.

If people can live and play with it, that's fine. But let's not make it sound like the second coming of Christ because FXAA's main problem, always has been is the blur.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Another oddity about the game is that 4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High looks noticeably jaggier than 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High, which simply doesn't make any sense to me. MSAA on its own works though but is inferior to FXAA=Very High. I haven't been able to test 8xMSAA as my GTX 680 cards lack VRAM (the game needs 4.3 GB with 8xMSAA or 2.15 GB per GPU).
Lol.
I can understand with 8xMSAA, but I can't really believe that this game use 1.4GB (for example) of vram EVERYWHERE with everything on Very High + FXAA so they don't let you max everything if you own "just" a 570 with "just" 1280mb of vram...

Enco

FXAA ruins the image completely. Look at the comparisons, look at every single FXAA posted screenshot and you can see the cling film filter on every single one of them. It's completely smudged and unbearable to look at. MSAA leaves a few objects aliased yet the image remain completely clear and crisp. However it still seems there's room for improvement plus the performance impact seems bigger than normal.

It's like someone ran a photoshop smudge brush across the entire image http://international.download.nvidi...ti-Aliasing-Versus-4x-MSAA-Anti-Aliasing.html Even adds a grey / smog filter on top of everything, whilst it's enhanced by the club smoke it's apparent in every FXAA picture I've seen.

If people can live and play with it, that's fine. But let's not make it sound like the second coming of Christ because FXAA's main problem, always has been is the blur.
What do you use?

I've always disliked FXAA but MSAA is pretty taxing.

Sethos

Banned
What do you use?

I've always disliked FXAA but MSAA is pretty taxing.

4xMSAA. It's not perfect by any means, some edges remain aliased and in a few select scenes you can see a white outline around Max but it's not too bad, especially compared to the alternative. Some people are saying SMAA is working, whilst others say it doesn't ... Think I might try that out.

But yes, MSAA is very taxing, pretty much halves your performance. However I couldn't stand playing with the kind of IQ FXAA gives you. Some of the FXAA screenshot people post just gives me an instant headache.

Enco

4xMSAA. It's not perfect by any means, some edges remain aliased and in a few select scenes you can see a white outline around Max but it's not too bad, especially compared to the alternative. Some people are saying SMAA is working, whilst others say it doesn't ... Think I might try that out.

But yes, MSAA is very taxing, pretty much halves your performance. However I couldn't stand playing with the kind of IQ FXAA gives you. Some of the FXAA screenshot people post just gives me an instant headache.
It's a tough call.

I might try FXAA on low. Or would that be even wore than at very high?

Sethos

Banned
It's a tough call.

I might try FXAA on low. Or would that be even wore than at very high?

Lower is worse, as the technique is faster and less taxing. As you go higher, it seems to do more passes which leaves a less blurred image. While the anti-aliasing with FXAA is quite good, especially compared to MSAA the technique still adds way too much blur to everything which tramples on the overall IQ.

Sethos

Banned
Man it's a shame there's no magic AA solution out there. SMAA runs bad bad, bad here, FXAA looks bad bad, bad and 4xMSAA halves your performance and still retains aliasing on some objects but the preferred AA solution so far.

Anyone else toyed around with SMAA, is it because it's under DX11 the performance is so bad or is SMAA just not optimized for this game? Wish it'd work. Performance of FXAA and ( close to ) looks of MSAA, would be sweet.

SMAA also seemed to retain accurate mouse movement until the FPS started to drop like a brick.

Shawn6661

How do you play the game offline? I see now way to do so with the R* Social Club.

Quote from the steam forums :
"just tried it, i disconnected my internet, and loaded up the game with steam in offline mode.
the game works, and singleplayer loads up.
However, you need a internet connection and a social club account to activate the game."

Dunno for the retail version.

JohngPR

SMAA gave me a big enough performance decrease that I don't want to use it. I went from always 60fps to 45-50fps. Not only that, but it seemed to disable D3Doverrider because my FPS would skyrocket into the hundreds during cutscenes and load screens and go up higher than 60 during other times.

It's a shame, because it's about what I wanted for AA visually. All I want is to smooth out the edges.

FXAA blurs the image quite a bit IMO. If it blurred it about 50% less, it would be perfect.

tumblr_lqkiyl5VyT1r1x609o1_250.jpg

We heard you like deagles...

Sethos

Banned
SMAA gave me a big enough performance decrease that I don't want to use it. I went from always 60fps to 45-50fps. Not only that, but it seemed to disable D3Doverrider because my FPS would skyrocket into the hundreds during cutscenes and load screens and go up higher than 60 during other times.

It's a shame, because it's about what I wanted for AA visually. All I want is to smooth out the edges.

FXAA blurs the image quite a bit IMO. If it blurred it about 50% less, it would be perfect.

It is a shame, SMAA would be perfect for this game.

Enco

Some cool screenshots:

I get a silky smooth 60 fps with maxed out graphics and 2x MSAA. FXAA was really messing up my image quality like Sethos said. MSAA isn't perfect but it's a lot better.

Easily the best looking game I've played.

JohngPR

I don't know if all of you AMD users have downloaded the new 12.6 CAP beta drivers, but I recommend it even for single card folks.

I saw a performance increase in Chapter V where I'd be at about 54fps with Shadows up on Very High to getting 60fps with the same settings. I'm gong to try 2x MSAA to see what happens, but I don't expect it to stay at 60fps.

This game is so well optimized it amazes me. Especially cause this is a Rockstar game and so far they didn't give a damn shit about optimization for PC. Runs so great and utilizes the CPU greatly. I'm really impressed. /bow @ rockstar. GTA V can't come soon enough :D

Sethos

Banned
Think I may shelf the game until they fix the mouse acceleration, it's the bane of all my problems. The only AA solution that works seem to make it much worse.

Can't even see why a bunch of people, making a PC game would go "Hey, let's leave in acceleration and not give them an option to disable it".

JaseC

The only pertinent fix seems to be to moving the game to C: and using a cracked exe, but my OS drive is just a 60GB SSD with ~20GB free.

Edit: Running the game in safe mode works, but you can't change any graphics settings that require a restart as restarting reverts back to the safe mode settings. The game was working just fine yesterday -- nothing has changed as far as my PC is concerned.

I got the game to work by forcing it to run in DX9 (DirectXVersion value=0 in graphics.xml). DX10, 10.1, and 11 all result in the game silently crashing as soon as the first splash screen appears. I've no idea why the game's more advanced rendering paths have spontaneously combusted, but at least I can play the bloody thing.

abracadaver

Anyone else having problems with the game forgetting the social club login ? I always have to enter myemail and pw every time I start the game

Jubbly

I don't know if all of you AMD users have downloaded the new 12.6 CAP beta drivers, but I recommend it even for single card folks.

I saw a performance increase in Chapter V where I'd be at about 54fps with Shadows up on Very High to getting 60fps with the same settings. I'm gong to try 2x MSAA to see what happens, but I don't expect it to stay at 60fps.

HardOCP said the same thing in their tests.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Fucking sigh...

Good port or not this is one of the less stable modern pc games I've played in many many years.

Yup, made a big difference on my single 7850, basically lets me have tessellation on now without a huge performance hit, and fixes a couple of little odd graphics glitches i had.

I have noticed pixelated looking textures though, is this normal ?

Oh and if anyone wants a shocking image quality difference, run the game in DX9 ...

So I am getting annoyed with the blurry look they keep pushing in this game. Turning off FXAA will fix this I assume after reading what you all are posting about it. Gonna try that when I play later.

Otherwise I am adoring the game. Singleplayer is great and Multiplayer is a lot better than I thought it would be.

Beaner

For the people playing in 3D, are you using 3D Vision 2? I've got the first version and I can't play a lot of games due to the ghosting hurting my eyes or being annoying. Is it worthwhile to upgrade from 1 to 2 (and get a new monitor?)

Top Bottom