• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 PC Features Detailed.

Hmm...it seems that the cutscene at the beginning of Chapter VI keeps freezing on me after a few minutes. Weird thing is, the audio keep going.

Anyone have a solution? I've done the end of Chapter five and watched a few minutes of the cutscene twice now and it froze both times.

Same thing kept happening to me. The way I fixed it was that as soon as the cutscene started I tried skipping it, and even though it didn't (still loading...) the image didn't freeze and the whole scene played. I restarted the chapter afterwards and it didn't freeze again even without trying to skip it. This is the only problem I've had with the game so far (up to chapter 13).

Talafas

Neo Member
Also had the problem with the game crashing right after clicking play in steam.

I had to copy the game from my steam folder to my c: drive. Remove the spaces in the "max payne 3" directory and its subdirectory. I also had to disable my antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials). After this ordeal i'm able to launch the maxpayne3.exe executable successfully (steam has to be running of course). It also crashes for me at launch when mumble is running in the background.

Game is now running flawless and without crashes for about 10 hours.

dreamfall

Is anyone having trouble redeeming their DLC codes ? I entered the Steam codes on the "Marketplace" and it says "Download" but when I press enter/click nothing happens. Any ideas?

Enco

Is anyone having trouble redeeming their DLC codes ? I entered the Steam codes on the "Marketplace" and it says "Download" but when I press enter/click nothing happens. Any ideas?
Same here.

I was about to say how lucky I am to get no problems but I just had 2 crashes in that last 5 minutes. The game goes all white/crazy in the second NY part and I have to alt tab out and close. During one of the Favela cutscenes I got crazy flickering lights and super close ups of textures. Had to alt tab out. I also get stuck in MP loading screens all the time.

Yea we kinda need a patch.

UrbanRats

Same here.

I was about to say how lucky I am to get no problems but I just had 2 crashes in that last 5 minutes. The game goes all white/crazy in the second NY part and I have to alt tab out and close. During one of the Favela cutscenes I got crazy flickering lights and super close ups of textures. Had to alt tab out. I also get stuck in MP loading screens all the time.

Yea we kinda need a patch.

Same thing that happened to me before (i mentioned it in my last post) only in chapter 2, in the disco.
the audio was still running, but the screen flashed white like crazy and there was a strange revolver icon (not the normal one in the hud) in the center of the screen.
Alt tabbed and closed from Task Manager.

Druz

You've redeemed it. This is all MP content.

I've also not experienced a single crash or hiccup. AMD Radeon card here.

eshock

Does anybody know if it's possible to workaround Steam's "you have X free space available on your HD" check? I've got steam installed to my SSD and most games symlinked away onto a bigger, slower, drive, with plenty of space for MP3. But Steam prevents me from downloading because it thinks I won't have enough space on the drive Steam is on.

At this point I don't think it's possible to copy away the extra 15gb I'll need to fit this.

I have the mouse sensitivity at 8 and it seems alright to me most of the time. If you're on the floor after shootdodging however, the aiming slows to a crawl. You're pretty much guaranteed to die if you're out in the open. Didn't happen on the PS3 version so I'm guessing it's a bug or something with the mouse controls.

Sethos

Banned
So, apparently HDAO maybe isn't all that. It's an optimized technique over SSAO but apparently it isn't as detailed and some are reporting an actual performance loss with HDAO, compared to SSAO.

If anyone want to test it out.

JohngPR

Same thing kept happening to me. The way I fixed it was that as soon as the cutscene started I tried skipping it, and even though it didn't (still loading...) the image didn't freeze and the whole scene played. I restarted the chapter afterwards and it didn't freeze again even without trying to skip it. This is the only problem I've had with the game so far (up to chapter 13).

I'll give this a shot....thanks!

Xyber

So, apparently HDAO maybe isn't all that. It's an optimized technique over SSAO but apparently it isn't as detailed and some are reporting an actual performance loss with HDAO, compared to SSAO.

I gain about 5 fps when I pick SSAO over HDAO.

Sethos

Banned
Also played around with SSAO, I gain no FPS as I'm already Vsync locked at 60 - SSAO adds much more detail. More depth due to better shadows, more detailed image.

Can definitely suggest SSAO to everyone.

What are you people talking about.

The game has been perfect for me.

Never crashed once or had any major problems with it.
It's weird, my first playthrough was flawless, but now that I'm replaying on Old School difficulty a whole mess of stuff has cropped up. I've gotten crashes, I've gotten people turned into living pants, I've had my HUD disappear several times, I'm getting scripted moments go awry like Max melding into the ground or a boat sequence where everything was perfectly still, it's gotten rockier the more time I've put into it.

Jtrizzy

580-> 5.1 multi channel Denon receiver via hdmi -> vt25 plasma = 1080p60 uncompressed perfection.

I don't have a ton of interest in 7.1 sound, but I may look into it. I'm more likely to get a nice pair of headphones.

JohngPR

Testing both, they seemed very similar in quality except that HDAO casted more and fuller shadows. I didn't see much in the way of better looking shadows.

pa22word

From the OT:

PC patch releasing:

We've had a lot of positive feedback from the community on the launch of Max Payne 3 on PC and our support for a wide range of specs. That said, there are still a few commonly reported issues, and we'll be rolling out a series of patches that address these starting tonight.

Issues fixed by tonight's patch are below. Our goal is to get everyone up and running as smoothly as possible so be sure to hit http://support.rockstargames.com if you are having any specific issues.

Compatibility Issues
* Fixed reported issues with needing service packs, compatibility with incorrect OS.

Various Crashes
* Fixed a range of issues which could have led to crashes on startup and in-game.

Audio Crash
* Fixed reported issues of audio dropouts when no audio device was plugged in, or when the headphones/speakers disconnected while in game.

Mouse Sensitivity
* Fixed reported issues of mouse being sluggish, especially in prone and Shootdodge™. Increased top end range of mouse sensitivity, but kept the slider from 1-10, allowing the user more range in their sensitivity setting.

Mouse Acceleration
* Fixed reported issues of mouse acceleration affecting aiming, included commandline option to disable mouse acceleration, -nomouseaccel (In a future update, this will be added as an option in the Mouse Controls menu).

Stretched Image / Wrong Aspect Ratio
* Fixed reported issues of game locked in incorrect aspect ratio, or alt-entering and having incorrect aspect ratio. Added commandline option for locked aspect ratio as commandline option -aspectratio width:height (ie. -aspectratio 4:3 / -aspectratio 16:9) In a future update, this will be added as an option in the Graphics menu.

Video Memory Reporting as 0MB
* Fixed reported issues of the video card reporting having 0MB of video memory available. Users unable to adjust Graphics options because of this (Also helps fix stuttering on some video cards).

We are aware of a few outstanding issues including multiplayer cheaters and hackers. Rest assured this will be dealt with in a forthcoming patch.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/rockstargames

haikira

NafoR.gif

suikodan

I don't know if I'm blind or what but I bought the boxed PC version of the game and I cannot find the activation code for my game. I have the box, one Rockstar Pass "ad" and the DVDs.

Where's my code????

yeah.. it's a big improvement without mouse acceleration.

Game doesn't have the annoying loading stutters I was seeing on my 670 before, either.

Good patch!

I'm playing on a 2011 iMac and everything defaulted to High, it's run really well for the most part and it looks very nice, as you can see.
iG46ueDzJF4hL.png

Since the patch has allowed the retail version to play nice with recording programs I've used Bandicam to cap the framerate to 60 since vsync doesn't seem to do it. Works a treat!

Also, I tried to record some footage at 30 fps but it turned out kinda funny...
http://youtu.be/gBmwJQ0JKvg

guys the game has been working perfectly for me after teh first few hours of tinkering..

I ended up having to move the folder to my c: drive to get it working

however after I restarted the game is hanging on "loading"

what could it be ? :/

ffs max payne.. why can't you just work

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Patch fixed my game loading. And mouse stuff. Yay Rockstar woo.

Hey, anybody else get obvious polygon lines on some destroyable objects? Good example is the pillars in the car park during Chapter 1. The chunks you can blow off the pillars have obvious poly seams. It looks stupid.

Patch fixed my game loading. And mouse stuff. Yay Rockstar woo.

Hey, anybody else get obvious polygon lines on some destroyable objects? Good example is the pillars in the car park during Chapter 1. The chunks you can blow off the pillars have obvious poly seams. It looks stupid.

could it be because I just enabled my firewall... I use AVG... what is the port that I need to enter and where?

ugh even if I allow everything it doesn't work..

what the fuck happened

okay.. I had it in comp mode 3 ... I had to switch it to windows 7

very bizarre considering that it was working prior to the restart under a different compability setting

this game is fucking weird... the errors are horrendous .. but when it works

got dayum, today was a good day

Does the patch fix the problem of the Steam version not starting? I'm still using a crack because my legitimate Steam version won't start

Raptomex

When I first started playing the PC version, my stats weren't tracking and everything I collected in chapters 1 and 2 did not save. I lost all the gold guns and clues. I eventually completed the game and collected everything but I was wondering if this patch fixed the issue. It wasn't registering any grinds either. After restarting the game 3 times it finally started tracking my shit.

Top Bottom