• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May NPD's Top 10 (Unverified)

AirBrian

apujanata said:
It has been more than 24 hours, so bunkum should have show up already. Where is he ?
They supposedly just came out today after the market closed. That would be more like 4 hours ago, not 24.

cja

I don't think these numbers are particularly low for the time of year. Usually the sluggish sales get masked by hardware price-cuts but April-June is the slowest time of the year. Peeps saying publishers should spread their releases around to different parts of the year are getting a lesson in why this doesn't happen.

It has been more than 24 hours
I make it 5-6 hours since they were released. Bunkum has been here tonight and on past experience would give us the numbers if he was allowed, he should be praised for that not continually nagged. Patience is a virtue!

Posted over in the Gamespot forums. Take it as you will

NPD #'s

May Console Sales

PS2 - 253,454
Xbox - 216,997
GC - 77,827

All Console Sales Since launch of Console

PS2 - 23,602,719
Xbox - 8,817,578
GC - 7,464,696
DC - 4,069,953

All Software Sales Since launch of Console

PS2 - 198,720,389
Xbox - 60,322,780
GC - 47,745,796
DC - 27,250,502

Attach Rate Since launch of Console

PS2 - 8.4
Xbox - 6.8
DC - 6.7
GC - 6.4

May Software Sales

PS2 - 3,453,522
Xbox - 1,648,102
GC - 1,106,517

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:
Posted over in the Gamespot forums. Take it as you will

NPD #'s

May Console Sales

PS2 - 253,454
Xbox - 216,997
GC - 77,827

All Console Sales Since launch of Console

PS2 - 23,602,719
Xbox - 8,817,578
GC - 7,464,696
DC - 4,069,953

All Software Sales Since launch of Console

PS2 - 198,720,389
Xbox - 60,322,780
GC - 47,745,796
DC - 27,250,502

Attach Rate Since launch of Console

PS2 - 8.4
Xbox - 6.8
DC - 6.7
GC - 6.4

May Software Sales

PS2 - 3,453,522
Xbox - 1,648,102
GC - 1,106,517

I believe it.

Mooreberg

Seems reasonable since the PS2 price cut came around the middle of the month. June should be a lot more interesting both in terms of hardware and software sales.

Sounds about right. Gamecube is in a drought while the other two had price drops. It seems that Nintendo will stay about 1 million systems below Xbox here in the US. That is, unless by some magical force RE4 sparks life into the Mature audience to buy GCs, which is a possibility.

AirBrian

They popped up on IGN boards as well (although that doesn't mean much).

May Console Sales

PS2 - 253,454
Xbox - 216,997
GC - 77,827

AirBrian said:
They popped up on IGN boards as well (although that doesn't mean much).

May Console Sales

PS2 - 253,454
Xbox - 216,997
GC - 77,827

Which were taken from the Gamespot forums. LOL. So incestuous.

apujanata

cja said:
I make it 5-6 hours since they were released. Bunkum has been here tonight and on past experience would give us the numbers if he was allowed, he should be praised for that not continually nagged. Patience is a virtue!

I thought the data was released on June 19. I am sorry about the unintentional nagging.

Vargas

That is, unless by some magical force RE4 sparks life into the Mature audience to buy GCs, which is a possibility.

There is also the possibility of GTA San Andreas selling five copies.

I'm surpised the PS2 didn't sell more. Then again the price drop was announced on the 12th, we will probably see a bigger jump for the PS2 next month.

jedimike

I wouldn't be suprised if Xbox has taken over the #2 worldwide spot by now. At best, GC is selling like what 40 or 50K in Japan a month? That doesn't come close to making up for the US losses. No Europe numbers recently, but it's safe to assume Xbox is still outselling GC. When Nintendo and MS reported end of Dec. results, GC was leading by about 200K.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
I wouldn't be suprised if Xbox has taken over the #2 worldwide spot by now. At best, GC is selling like what 40 or 50K in Japan a month? That doesn't come close to making up for the US losses. No Europe numbers recently, but it's safe to assume Xbox is still outselling GC. When Nintendo and MS reported end of Dec. results, GC was leading by about 200K.
Actually, I think they might be dead even by now. GC leads by about 2.5 million in Japan while XBox leads by about 1.5 million in America. Europe probably leads in XBox's favor, by 1 million (fair guess) would make both about even worldwide. In the short term I expect XBox to move ahead (thanks to bigger gains in the US vs Japan) but in the end GC will probably have a larger installed base (thanks to Xenon prematurely cutting the XBox lifespan short).

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Didn't the release of the Pokemon Colosseum bundle spark some pretty massive sales in the UK? A 32% marketshare was reported for Nintendo there now.

Alcibiades

Li Mu Bai said:
Didn't the release of the Pokemon Colosseum bundle spark some pretty massive sales in the UK? A 32% marketshare was reported for Nintendo there now.

actually, GCN sales increased all across Europe...

BeOnEdge

Banned
woohoo! xbox didnt get owned! its definately ahead of the GC worldwide now too. by christmas it's least will be 2,000,000 or more with halo 2 coming. 2005 is gonna be a good year for the xbox. hopefully rockstar will add online play to GTASAXB for practice for the ps3 version of GTA.

BeOnEdge said:
woohoo! xbox didnt get owned! its definately ahead of the GC worldwide now too. by christmas it's least will be 2,000,000 or more with halo 2 coming. 2005 is gonna be a good year for the xbox. hopefully rockstar will add online play to GTASAXB for practice for the ps3 version of GTA.

It's not going to happen, a big addition to GTA4 is going to be the online play. They aren't just going to throw it into another version and ruin the impact it could have on a completely new game.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Multi-theft Auto will be released for the PC version anyway. Save the official online stuff for next gen.

eh? official release from rockstar or a fan made version? when? you have shots? is it based on GTA3? how many players? :eek:

AniHawk

5{ike]I wouldn't be suprised if Xbox has taken over the #2 worldwide spot by now. At best, GC is selling like what 40 or 50K in Japan a month? That doesn't come close to making up for the US losses. No Europe numbers recently, but it's safe to assume Xbox is still outselling GC. When Nintendo and MS reported end of Dec. results, GC was leading by about 200K.[/QUOTE]

Going by shipped, these are the last numbers I had:

Xbox: 15.4 million (as of May)
GC: 14.48 million (as of March)

The GC had outshipped the Xbox by 200k since last year at this time too.

Sell-through (which doesn't really matter):

GC:
Japan: 3.7 million
NA: 8.3 million
Europe: 2.6 million
Australia: 125,000
Total: 14.725 million (present)

Xbox:
Japan: 450,000
NA: 9.61 million
Europe: 3.6 million
Korea: 80,000
Australia: 450,000
Total: 14.19 million (present)

NA numbers are the US NPD + guesstimations based on last year's Canadian end of year sales which had 800,000 for GC, and about 850,000 for Xbox. Korean Xbox sales are the 60,000 we knew at the end of the year + a 5 month guesstimation. Australian sales were 125,000 400,000 at the end of the year, respectively, iirc. European sales are completely guessed upon. The GC had shipped 3.1 million by the end of the year. 3.7 million Xboxen were shipped by the end of the year.

Alcibiades

not sure if you are saying the XBox has or hasn't outsold GCN, but it's all pretty moot considering how close the sales were...

In fact, since the very beginning of their releases, they've been pretty much tied, with GCN ahead by a tad, and now the other way around...

Li Mu Bai

Banned
BeOnEdge said:

Nothing will outsell LOZ in '05 BOE, & they're practically tied now ww console sales-wise. Halo 2 will sell primarily to those who already have Halo IMO. RE4 on the other hand.......

Li Mu Bai said:
Nothing will outsell LOZ in '05 BOE

Are you just referring to him toward an Xbox game outselling LoZ? Because if you're considering all systems...I'd say FF12 is going to pretty much smack every game around (that's announced so far) in terms of sales next year.

Li Mu Bai said:
Nothing will outsell LOZ in '05 BOE, & they're practically tied now ww console sales-wise. Halo 2 will sell primarily to those who already have Halo IMO. RE4 on the other hand.......

I think Halo 2 has the potential to be close to the new LOZ's sales for '05...not including those sales in '04. Crazy? Perhaps. But no console title this gen has had the legs that Halo has.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Alright Nintendo, these recent Xbox gains have gone on far enough. It's time to press...

rb.jpg

and drop the price down to $79.

Some other numbers from the gamespot thread. They are actually very interesting in the first 30 months comparisons. They show how much the market has grown and the fact that the Xbox is doing better than the PSone and N64 at their comparative points.

However, we all knew that the PSOne started out slow and halfway through, it just exploded.

May Attach Rate

GC - 14.22
PS2 - 13.62
Xbox - 7.59

April Console Sales

Xbox - 297,351
PS2 - 188,669
GC - 96,050

April Software Sales

PS2 - 4,211,985
Xbox - 2,172,469
GC - 1,320,509

April Attach Rate

PS2 - 22.32
GC - 13.75
Xbox - 7.31

First 31 Months of Consoles Life - Console Sales

PS2 - 17,464,323
N64 - Not Yet Compiled
Xbox - 8,817,578
PS - Not Yet Compiled
GC - 7,464,696
DC - 4,069,417

First 31 Months of Consoles Life - Software Sales

PS2 - 116,502,582
Xbox - 60,322,780
N64 - Not Yet Compiled
GC - 47,745,796
PS - Not Yet Compiled
DC - 26,249,943

First 31 Months of Consoles Life - Attach Rate

Xbox - 6.8
PS2 - 6.7
DC - 6.5
GC - 6.4
PS - Not Yet Compiled
N64 - Not Yet Compiled

First 30 Months of Consoles Life - Console Sales

PS2 - 17,199,692
N64 - 10,980,990
Xbox - 8,600,581
PS - 8,419,373
GC - 7,386,869
DC - 4,069,265

First 30 Months of Consoles Life - Software Sales

PS2 - 111,986,907
Xbox - 58,674,678
N64 - 50,660,895
GC - 46,639,279
PS - 44,150,943
DC - 25,904,009

First 30 Months of Consoles Life - Attach Rate

Xbox - 6.8
PS2 - 6.5
DC - 6.4
GC - 6.3
PS - 5.2
N64 - 4.6

May 2004 NPD VIdeo Game Sales Data
Entertainment Software Publishing and Retail Michael Pachter
213-688-4474

On Monday afternoon, NPD Funworld released its May 2004 (four-week period ending May 29, 2004) TRSTS data for U.S. console video game software sales. Total sales were $245 million, down 22% sequentially from April’s $315 million, and down 17% compared to May 2003’s $295 million. Year-to-date sales are $1,699 million compared with 2003 year-to-date sales of $1,709 million (a year-over-year decrease of 1%).

The overall sales figures were significantly lower than our expectations of $265 million (down 10%). We believe that the lower sales level is due to a combination of a greater percentage of sales of older catalog titles at lower prices and the difficult comparisons to last year’s Atari game, Enter the Matrix, which generated over $45 million in U.S. retail sales. Total unit sales were down 15% year-over-year (5.7% lower excluding Enter the Matrix), while average selling prices (ASPs) were down 3% from last year to $29.62 (3% higher excluding Enter the Matrix).

We were disappointed with relatively weak year over year unit sales, which we believe is attributable to the relatively low number of SKUs released to date (down 20% year-over-year). We expect sales growth to resume in June, and expect overall industry growth to rebound to 10% for the full year as the console installed base continues to expand, with strong sales of several blockbuster games over the rest of the year (such as Sony’s Gran Turismo 4, Take-Two’s GTA San Andreas, and Microsoft‘s Halo 2).

Electronic Arts’ sales disappointed us, but we expect the company’s sales growth to resume as its key releases are introduced later in the year. Activision’s, Acclaim’s, and Atari’s results were about in line with our estimates and we do not expect significant movement in these shares as a result of the May data. Midway’s and THQ’s results were lower than our expectations, while Take-Two’s were better than we expected, though
we expect that investors will continue to focus on the key releases from each company over the balance of the year.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
PS2 - 253,454
Xbox - 216,997
GC - 77,827
May Software Sales

PS2 - 3,453,522
Xbox - 1,648,102
GC - 1,106,517
It's interesting that although the GC's hardware sales were well below the competition, the software the system moved wasn't that far behind the Xbox. Similarly, although the Xbox did not trail the PS2 by too wide a margin in hardware, it failed to sell even half the software.

Hell if I know what (if any) trends those figures point to, but it's an interesting phenomenon, anyway.

GhaleonEB

human5892 said:
It's interesting that although the GC's hardware sales were well below the competition, the software the system moved wasn't that far behind the Xbox. Similarly, although the Xbox did not trail the PS2 by too wide a margin in hardware, it failed to sell even half the software.

Hell if I know what (if any) trends those figures point to, but it's an interesting phenomenon, anyway.

I think the software sales can be attributed much more to the size of a system's installed base as opposed to one month's sales. Big games will help drive the total, but back catalog sales will rise as the userbase grows. I think that helps to explain the PS2 number, and to a degree the GCN number as well.

Chi-Town

human5892 said:

People who already own the systems buy games too you know :)

Actually, it makes sense if you look at the total installed bases.

PS2 - 23,602,719
Xbox - 8,817,578
GC - 7,464,696

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DJ Demon J said:
Can someone post lifetime numbers for Super Mario Sunshine vs. Halo?
Yeah! And maybe Blinx vs. Super Smash Bros. Melee, while we're at it?
GhaleonEB said:
I think the software sales can be attributed much more to the size of a system's installed base as opposed to one month's sales. Big games will help drive the total, but back catalog sales will rise as the userbase grows. I think that helps to explain the PS2 number, and to a degree the GCN number as well.
That might be true -- since Xbox and GCN are only seperated by a million units or so in the U.S., it would make sense that the software sales wouldn't be that far off from each other.

thorns

Banned
human5892 said:

Software sales have more to do with installed base, that's why.. And Xbox software sales are 50% above GCs, I would call that significant. PS2 has three times the base of Xbox so of course it's natural that it will sell significatly more software.

Top Bottom