• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

with all the current great talent doing basically nothing i think nxt might benefit from episodes being maybe 20 to 30 minutes longer

and maybe get a midcard belt in there

Ithil

DAT9lFVXgAABCWN.jpg

Obligatory.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dunne's face is as good at being shitty as Buff Bagwell's and similarly, girls seem to love him which would only get him more heat.

I missed the heel turn at the end (left right as the match ended) but was able to just drive straight out of the arena's lot with no wait. Worth it, lol

Good thing I can catch up on the double you double you E Network

Man that ladder match had the most contrived and mistimed spots I've seen in a while. No wonder these guys are on NXT. The ending to the match was shitty.

RBH

Dunne vs. Bate was easily worth the price of my ticket tonight.

Absolutely incredible match that had the whole arena jumping out of their seats.

Out of the three events I've been to (WM 27, NXT house show at Center Stage last year, and tonight), that's probably the best live match I've ever seen.

Most of the ladder match stuff was serviceable at best, though the german fakeout into....whatever it ended up being into the corner was nuts. Generic slam? idk.

I was honestly a little disappointed by Riddle/O'Reilly earlier at Evolve, I thought ZSJ/O'Reilly was better a few months ago. Riddle looks like a damn monster though, somewhere between Sagat and Gill

Jeff Cobb catching and throwing people is worth the price of admission tbh

Man that ladder match had the most contrived and mistimed spots I've seen in a while. No wonder these guys are on NXT. The ending to the match was shitty.

The only spot that looked bad was DIY jumping off the same ladder, which I chalked up to physics. Having a dude jump off the ladder at the same time you are has to fuck up your normal jump.

Also the end was goofy with AoP going up the ladder fast and instantly unhooking the belts, but hey.

The only spot that looked bad was DIY jumping off the same ladder, which I chalked up to physics. Having a dude jump off the ladder at the same time you are has to fuck up your normal jump.

Also the end was goofy with AoP going up the ladder fast and instantly unhooking the belts, but hey.

It was goofy but kinda of a breath of fresh air given the usual debuff that gets applied to ladder matches where everyone forgets how to climb one for dramatic purposes.

The only real miss for me all night was the finish to the women's match

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
After Bobby Roode eventually makes his way to the main roster, what's the ranking of the following stars to carry the NXT brand?

1. Aleister Black
2. Drew McIntyre
3. Roderick Strong
4. Kassius Ohno
5. Someone Else? (new signing? Itami being 'repackaged', No Way Jose evolving, Sanity taking off)

Roode likely has another 5-9 months minimum on the NXT roster, so WWE has time until they figure out the main event after Roode.

Yeah I actually thought it was one of the stronger women's matches they've had in a long time. But the finish was boring

It was ridiculous... they went out of their way to build Nikki strong back at San Antonio where it took Iconic putting her through a fucking table to take her out of the match...

And to play off that they what had her fall to a shitty kick from Ruby and then have to eat the pin alongside Ruby just to make Asuka that much stronger.

They are killing my interest in Asuka here... Especially because ugh fuck Ember Moon.

And Riot jobbing to basically a what sliding kick of nothing?

Riot eating the pin is fine but do it with a usual Asuka decapitation kick not a glorified dropkick...

And keep Nikki out of the finish...no reason for her to eat the pin too.

Dumb

The finish really did suck. Made Riot and Cross look like complete jabronies.

I like Asuka but a lot of the finishes to her matches have been very underwhelming or weird in NXT.

KissVibes

Banned
After Bobby Roode eventually makes his way to the main roster, what's the ranking of the following stars to carry the NXT brand?

1. Aleister Black
2. Drew McIntyre
3. Roderick Strong
4. Kassius Ohno
5. Someone Else? (new signing? Itami being 'repackaged', No Way Jose evolving, Sanity taking off)

Roode likely has another 5-9 months minimum on the NXT roster, so WWE has time until they figure out the main event after Roode.

I see Black headed to the roster before Roode does.

Also I'd guess that Kyle O'Riley will be the next heavily pushed star to carry the brand. Roderick and Drew will be in the title picture for a bit.

I see Black headed to the roster before Roode does.

Also I'd guess that Kyle O'Riley will be the next heavily pushed star to carry the brand. Roderick and Drew will be in the title picture for a bit.

Adam Cole too.

There was another guy they are getting from ROH but for some reason I have completely forgotten who it was.

The finish really did suck. Made Riot and Cross look like complete jabronies.

Completely and utterly...

What they could have done is literally have Nikki and Riot fucking kill each other and do some fucked up sick looking up double kick KO thing and have Asuka roll in and steal the pin. Shit you could still have gone with the double pin ((or maybe Nikki kicks out but Ruby doesn't) but make it more about Nikky and Ruby beating each other rather than Nikki taking a shit finish from Ruby and Ruby taking an almost as shit finish for a double pin

Asuka wins, the story between Ruby and Nikki has even more story behind it because they can blame each other for not winning the belt and Asuka looks opportunistic and thus adding more to the maybe she's not as invincible as we thought story that started in Orlando.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Adam Cole too.

There was another guy they are getting from ROH but for some reason I have completely forgotten who it was.

When are the start dates? I haven't watched much of Cole or O'Reilly -- they set to be on par with Strong or more like Roode?

ReiGun

I understand they wanted to keep Asuka in NXT longer because she was the only star left in the women's division after last year drained the roster. But moves like the finish tonight now see her preventing other competitors from getting over as legit competitors. Pinning both Nikki and Riot (who just got here, btw) clean as a whistle? Who thought that was a good idea?

I have no problem with Asuka winning but that was too much. And now we're back to waiting for Ember Moon to finally take the belt. Much as I'm not crazy about her, at least there's a good chance she won't be booked like the unstoppable godqueen Asuka is now.

I wish Peyton Royce and/or Billie Kay were involved in the women's match tonight.

Looking at them makes me think it's a shame the Women's Tag Division is never coming back. WWE has quite a few female competitors that would probably benefit from being part of a team, and these two in particular could get over huge in that environment.

Course, given how the male tag divisions on main get treated, it's for the best.

I understand they wanted to keep Asuka in NXT longer because she was the only star left in the women's division after last year drained the roster. But moves like the finish tonight now see her preventing other competitors from getting over as legit competitors. Pinning both Nikki and Riot (who just got here, btw) clean as a whistle? Who thought that was a good idea?

I have no problem with Asuka winning but that was too much. And now we're back to waiting for Ember Moon to finally take the belt. Much as I'm not crazy about her, at least there's a good chance she won't be booked like the unstoppable godqueen Asuka is now.

Only thing they've done right post San Antonio was Asuka getting a cheap win over Ember to end Ember's undefeated story.

So when Ember does win she won't be Monster 2.0...

They did everything to build up Nikki from San Antonio on as a force and they killed it with zero fanfare tonight...

Like why bother with the table spot in San Antonio with Nikki smiling in the pile of wood after the match as if to say this table is the only reason I didn't beat you, only for her to job easily months later...

They're lucky Asuka has physical charisma because she'd be Roman Reigns territory without it.

When are the start dates? I haven't watched much of Cole or O'Reilly -- they set to be on par with Strong or more like Roode?

Start dates arent confirmed yet because ROH has been going after WWE for approaching their guys while still under contract or whatever.

O'Reilly is a fantastic in ring wrestler. Cole is a great talker and personality. They'll probably both do quite well for themselves, they are pretty young.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Ember was supposed to win tonight and they were too far along to completely rethink the match so they just removed anything involving Ember and hastily redid the finish.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Ember was supposed to win tonight and they were too far along to completely rethink the match so they just removed anything involving Ember and hastily redid the finish.

Nah I think Ember would have gotten taken out and then this finish happens to completely eliminate Nikki and Riot's claims to a shot, Ember goes you owe me on on one and there we go.

Which is close enough to what's happening anyway...

Nikki's dead... Like what's left maybe beat Ruby Riot?

Meltzer on the UK Title match (responding to someone who said it was the best match in a while)

@davemeltzerWON

It was great, but high end matches like that are on shows every other weekend all over the world. I encourage you to seek that out.

Start dates arent confirmed yet because ROH has been going after WWE for approaching their guys while still under contract or whatever.

O'Reilly is a fantastic in ring wrestler. Cole is a great talker and personality. They'll probably both do quite well for themselves, they are pretty young.

Quiz: Who will be fighting for the NXT title in New Orleans?

Answer:
ADAM COLE
MAYBAY?
ADAM COLE
MAYBAY?

somedevil

I believe the whole idea of the storyline was to remove Ember of the match. It started with her first match with her where she cheated to win because of the eclipse.

Then she nearly killed her in that battle royal because she doesn't want to face her again. So you have Ember watching from the rafters during the match setting up the rematch in Brooklyn.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

1. Aleister Black
2. Drew McIntyre
3. Roderick Strong
4. Kassius Ohno

I get the feeling that they are strapping a rocket on Black, I think he'll get called up before even Roode. Hell he's already doing matches on Main Event.

Not Japan enough, 3.5 🌟.

Heh no 5* confirmed... If only it was at Kouraken Hall

Like what a joke... yeah but you know what you won't get weekly? That fucking crowd reacting...

He expanded upon it on the message board:

Pretty much every other weekend now. If you watch Flo Slam you get stuff pretty close to that level. UK fans bring that heat all the time for main events. PWG has several matches close to that level every show, and some better every third or fourth show.

There are guys in DDT, All Japan and Big Japan doing matches that good. Elgin vs. Sabre in AAW in Chicago was that good or better. Evolve has matches close to that every show or two.

that's not even talking Dragon Gate & New Japan.

You put the Morrison vs. Cobb vs. Cage match in front of that crowd tonight and people would say it was the greatest match in WWE history.

People who don't watch have no idea how much great wrestling there is. The Walter vs. Dragunov match I saw this morning was unreal, then I watched Hojo vs. Iwatani, six-man tag at Arena Mexico last night tore the house down and had more heat than that match (I wouldn't say it was as good but had more heat).

I loved the match. It was among the best matches of the year, but people have no idea the kind of matches a lot of people are having regularly this year, Dunne being one of them, or the kind of heat the UK and Mexico have been getting.

I believe the whole idea of the storyline was to remove Ember of the match. It started with her first match with her where she cheated to win because of the eclipse.

Then she nearly killed her in that battle royal because she doesn't want to face her again. So you have Ember watching from the rafters during the match setting up the rematch in Brooklyn.

That makes sense, but isn't Brooklyn in August? So we have to wait three months for Asuka to lose (and another month or two for the rematch).

Tall4Life

What's the conversion ratio for the US Meltzer star ratings to British star ratings? It's only fair to judge that UK title match in its own measurement system

like what is that match, 6.89 Tauruses out of 8?

He expanded upon it on the message board:

Still though... It was as good as Naito/Elgin and he gave that 5...

He's looking for an excuse not to give it it's due.

Meltzer talking about the prospects of it being a five star match

Also so basically a match in January has a better shot at 5* than a match in June just by virtue of coming first? That's an asinine standard...

5* shouldn't have a cap: If there's 2 of them in one year there's 2, if there's 50 of them in one year there's 50.

I watch a shit ton of wrestling and this is right up there and better than most of them.It's basically this, Naito/Elgin and Okada/Omega as tops. You can't take crowd out of the picture... god knows I've seen crowd response used as an excuse for why a match wasn't as good as it should have been.

It was as good as Naito/Elgin which is my current MOTY and that got 5*

Meltzer talking about the prospects of it being a five star match

There was a tweet earlier this week that said something like "When it comes to a 5-star match, is it one of the best matches in the last 20 years?"

Seeing that made a lot more sense out of the star ratings he gives out. Not that I agree with it, but it makes more sense. Unfortunately it also makes the 6-stars he gave Okada/Omega a bit more ridiculous in my opinion lol.

Edit: Still doesn't change my overall thought that star ratings are dumb.

Top Bottom