• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

ReiGun

Nah I think Ember would have gotten taken out and then this finish happens to completely eliminate Nikki and Riot's claims to a shot, Ember goes you owe me on on one and there we go.

Which is close enough to what's happening anyway...

Nikki's dead... Like what's left maybe beat Ruby Riot?

Nikki and Riot will continue their feud. Ideally, add a number 1 contender stip for the winner of Moon v Asuka so at least one of them has something to do after that.

The problem is so few women in the NXT women's division are ready for a major spotlight. Once you get past that top tier of Asuka (unstoppable goddess), Moon (somewhat more stoppable goddess), Cross, and now Riot, you only really have the Iconic Duo. And even then, they're over mainly as characters; their in-ring still needs work.

Bolstering the roster with women from the tournament will help, but given that they sign experienced women so much less frequently than men, they're going to have to go sink or swim and start pushing some fresh faces. They've started already with Lacey Evans and Dariaa (or I guess, Sonya now), so hopefully they can build them up.

Foggy

Meltzer on the UK Title match (responding to someone who said it was the best match in a while)

Ding ding ding

He's right. It doesn't detract from how great the match was either. If anything it should set off alarm bells for the WWE movers and shakers. They have these remarkable talents and they should let them do remarkably talented things. No grand story. No convoluted booking. Just two talented guys with a basic, elemental approach to atorytelling.

Quiz: Who will be fighting for the NXT title in New Orleans?

Answer:
ADAM COLE
MAYBAY?
ADAM COLE
MAYBAY?

Haha.

That UK match was so good. I love so much they do things that make sense, like punching someone in the head while holding them in a submission, because why wouldnt you do that (in the context of pro wrestling).

I find Dave's thought process to be interesting, which is why I'm posting it all, but really who cares what he thinks is five and what he doesn't? It's like he says "if it's five stars to you, then it's five stars".

Though his post did remind me I need to go watch that Hojo/Iwatani match. Doing that now.

There was a tweet earlier this week that said something like "When it comes to a 5-star match, is it one of the best matches in the last 20 years?"

Seeing that made a lot more sense out of the star ratings he gives out. Not that I agree with it, but it makes more sense. Unfortunately it also makes the 6-stars he gave Okada/Omega a bit more ridiculous in my opinion lol.

Edit: Still doesn't change my overall thought that star ratings are dumb.

Well that's ridiculous because he gave Naito/Elgin 5* and that was both a fantastic match a nowhere near top in the past 20 years.

I find Dave's thought process to be interesting, which is why I'm posting it all, but really who cares what he thinks is five and what he doesn't? It's like he says "if it's five stars to you, then it's five stars".

Though his post did remind me I need to go watch that Hojo/Iwatani match. Doing that now.

I also find it interesting, I just also like to argue :)

It's just obvious he has a pro Japan bias...

I mean he gave fucking Okada/Fale a 4* rating for fuck sakes...

And then he's going to try and argue Dunne/Bate was only somewhere between .25 to .75* better than that completely average main event match?

The theme from Takeover was named Judas, in a show that had Ciampa turn on Gargano. Also Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens were in the crowd. Also the song was performed by Chris Jericho, who was best friends with KO at one point. Fuck you Triple H, you're not clever.

Well that's ridiculous because he game Naito/Elgin 5* and that was both a fantastic match a nowhere near top in the past 20 years.

We need more people that do star ratings in this business. We can create review threads in the OT and be like gaming side.

"Coach from ESPN gave Orton/Wyatt 5 stars, surprise surprise"

Foggy

People naturally give Dave too much focus because of his stature, but at the end of the day if you think it's the best thing ever then you do you. Nothing wrong with that.

Hopefully people do take his comment to heart though. This caliber of wrestling is available week in, week out. You just gotta look outside your NINE NINETY NINE. As for him being reluctant to throw out 5 stars like candy, it makes sense. The more you indulge yourself in any flavor of art, the more judicious you become so you calibrate and contextualize what you're watching.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

the young bucks do

unfortunately a lot of people do

Anth0ny

pretty much.

sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. it's fine. don't need to give the guy shit if you disagree with his fake ratings for fake entertainment.

I also find it interesting, I just also like to argue :)

It's just obvious he has a pro Japan bias...

I mean he gave fucking Okada/Fale a 4* rating for fuck sakes...

And then he's going to try and argue Dunne/Bate was only somewhere between .25 to .75* better than that completely average main event match?

Eh, he likes that style. No big deal. Can't fault him for having a preference. We all do too.

Yeah Okada vs Fale wasnt 4*. It was better than it had any right to be but still.

Its also worth considering matches like AJ vs Suzuki didnt get 5* and it is one of the best matches in the last number of years and maybe the best of Suzuki's career. Who knows how he feels at the time he rates matches.

He is right though there is a shitload of fantastic wrestling all the time and there is so much variety too. I bitch about WWE all the time but it is frustrating when people clearly love wrestling, constantly bitch about WWE but never look outside of it.

Eh, he likes that style. No big deal. Can't fault him for having a preference. We all do too.

Again I'm just arguing :)

I just think it's funny honestly that he clearly gives a boost to Japan matches... and I think he's clearly floundering in his explanation for why he's obviously not going to give Dunne/Bate 5*

MG310

3 or 4 concussions deep Johnny Gargano trying to figure out why his best friend is killing him is a top 2 feel bad moment of the year.

zMfc1u0.png

This is why arguing Meltzer is funny... because he gets so silly about it.

Literally crowd reactions don't count because it's Chicago... He basically admits to the T-Dome Bonus. Which is his prerogative but it is funny.

I love Metlzer and I even love Alvarez now... But they are fun to poke fun at at times.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Literally crowd reactions don't count because it's Chicago...

yeah the crowd had nothing to do with him giving all the 6 man tag indie matches 5 stars like the PWG 3 way or Do Fixer vs BG

nothing at all

Literally crowd reactions don't count because it's Chicago... He basically admits to the T-Dome Bonus. Which is his prerogative but it is funny.

I love Metlzer and I even love Alvarez now... But they are fun to poke fun at at times.

So if John Cena/CM Punk MITB happened in the Dome, 7 stars?

He gives PWG matches five stars too though. It's just more his style of match.

Really? Seems your in the minority in that opinion.

I think the match could have ended like 4 times but the guy just stood there waiting for the other person to come in to interfere, not even trying to make it believable. The worst being Gargano having the belts in his hand but Ellering taking his time to get into the ring. Oh and that spot where AOP used the ladder to lift Ciampa by the jaw lol Ciampa basically had to stand up for that stupid spot. The double ladder spot was fine as just an error on Garganos part. The AOP run up the ladders like they are fresh to finish the match lol.

You literally have an axe to grind and refuse to understand where he's coming from.

I get it.. and I really don't have an axe to grind... I'm literally mostly just joking around here... If it doesn't get 5* it doesn't get 5* but his reasons for it are spurious imo... Like I'm not mad at him, I'm mostly just having fun here.

The reality is that was a WWE Crowd (NXT on tour is still a WWE crowd) losing their fucking shit... That was Attitude era volume...

That two British guys got that crowd that loud makes yeah but it's Chicago not an acceptable answer to me.

Mostly I shared that tweet because the amount of time Meltzer takes to reply to people taking small cracks at him is funny to me.

Itami vs Ohno would be good... give them both something to do.

Have it first be a match of respect, Ohno wins... Itami really loses his shit and goes full heel... rematch Itami kills him

Yeah I know 50/50 booking but in NXT 50/50 is almost what you have to do sometimes otherwise guys lose steam really fast.

Top Bottom