• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s sales disappoint in US despite all-day breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

NEW YORK (AP) — McDonald’s is again looking for ways to win back customers, less than a year after launching a widely touted all-day breakfast menu that makes Egg McMuffins available around the clock.

The world’s biggest burger chain said sales rose a disappointing 1.8 percent at established U.S. locations for the three months ended June 30. That’s even with the benefits from all-day breakfast, which began in October.

During the company’s earnings call Tuesday, CEO Steve Easterbrook, who is fighting to reverse three years of declining customer visits to U.S. outlets, promised “even more news” soon related to McDonald’s push to improve the image of its food.

But the efforts to catch up to changing tastes come at a tough time for the restaurant industry.

Last week, Dunkin’ Donuts said its customer traffic slipped after franchisees hiked menu prices to make up for higher labor costs. Starbucks said traffic was flat from a year ago, and that its results were pressured by weakening consumer confidence and political uncertainty — a sentiment echoed by McDonald’s.

At its restaurants, McDonald’s is also trying to increase speed and cut down on wrong orders — one of the biggest reasons for unhappy customers. Easterbrook cited the potential of self-order kiosks and the McDonald’s mobile app to take out “many of those human interactions where complications can arise.”

More here:

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/27/mcdonalds-sales-edge-up-1-8-percent-in-us-in-2q/

Has ADB brought you back to McDonald's more?

SexyFish

Banned
I get a hashbrown or biscuit once in a while, but still the rest of their menu is garbage except for those
Spicy McChickens.

Guevara

I only ever go to McDonalds when I have to (often, when I'm stuck in the airport), but I won't lie: it's usually pretty tasty.

inner-G

Banned
Now that they're going to have actual breakfast all day, maybe I'll go more often.

Seriously, who the hell eats McMuffins? Glad we're going to have biscuits and McGriddles finally.

As far as their dinner foods, I really only like the hamburger/cheeseburger and fries. A lot of their sandwiches are too big or have a bunch of crap on them. I like ketchup mustard and onion

Maxim726X

Still haven't fixed the main problem- Make the food cheaper.

Watch people come back in droves with a tried and true dollar menu... None of this mix and match shit.

Now that they're going to have actual breakfast all day, maybe I'll go more often.

Seriously, who the hell eats McMuffins? Glad we're going to have biscuits and McGriddles finally.

As far as their dinner foods, I really only like the hamburger/cheeseburger and fries. A lot of their sandwiches are too big or have a bunch of crap on them. I like ketchup mustard and onion

This. I couldn't get my sausage, egg and cheese biscuit meal at 11am? Fuck that shit. I don't even care about "al day". Just lemme get that shit like 11-11:30 am. I like to sleep late once in a while. And when I get a chance I want dat biscuit meal

Kibbles

It's because they keep jacking up the prices on everything. They act like 2 for 3 McDoubles is a deal when it was just $1 a pop. At this point I can go to Culvers and get a similar meal to my McDonalds meal for better food at a similar price

neshcom

Banned
Given how case-by-case all day breakfast is, I'm not surprised. McDonalds is too big to enact a flat edict that all stores offer the whole menu all day, so between the disappointing PR and better options elsewhere, it makes sense that this didn't pay off.

I think McDonald's needs to add some more modern food choices. Keep their legacy, or parts of it, but bring something new to the table. Burger King, for example, has had a Veggie Burger for years now.

vivftp

I typically will only go to McDonalds here in Canada for nuggets or the McChicken. A few days ago I got a McChicken, but it appears they've changed the chicken patty on it, and not for the better. I usually like to deconstruct my sandwich as I eat it, saving the meat for last. It used to be that it was a nice, moist piece of chicken that was almost flaky. Now it's a solid, congealed mass of chicken that's got a more rubbery consistency, and loads more hard, rubbery tendon bits in it. I was not pleased. I've eaten McChickens all my life... guess it's time to take them off my list :(

If the nuggets go to shit then the only thing I'll pick up there are dessert products.

They're only doing poorly through the lens of typical American "anything that isn't substantial growth is bad" corporate greed. At a certain point, there isn't more to be had.

And they must have different prices in major cities or something because all the people saying their food is too expensive does not match my experience at all. If I'm broke and need to fill up because I'm going to be out doing stuff all day, I always go to McDonald's over places where I like the food better.

Meowster

They don't even offer the good breakfast stuff on the All Day Breakfast deal, otherwise I would have gone there a bit more than my usual once a month or so.

entremet

McDonald's tier of fast food is just too expensive when considering other options and the rise of Fast Casual chains, which offer way better tasting food at a comparable price.

They're only doing poorly through the lens of typical American "anything that isn't substantial growth is bad" corporate greed. At a certain point, there isn't more to be had.

That's not unique to America. It's unique to publicly traded companies.

inner-G

Banned
It's because they keep jacking up the prices on everything. They act like 2 for 3 McDoubles is a deal when it was just $1 a pop. At this point I can go to Culvers and get a similar meal to my McDonalds meal for better food at a similar price
They need to get rid of the 'Artisan' stuff and just double-down on cheap hamburgers.

Wendy's, Jack in the Box or BK's value menus blow theirs out of the water

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Breakfast has always been high labour and low margins. Not sure what they were expecting here.

Cardon

The price points and the ever changing menu, both for burgers and whatever promo deals, really needs to be addressed.

I'm a bit of a fast food junky/snob, but I really don't go to Mcdonalds all that much due to the price for what you get, and the fact that what I usually like isn't even on the damn menu anymore.

Still haven't fixed the main problem- Make the food cheaper.

Watch people come back in droves with a tried and true dollar menu... None of this mix and match shit.

It's not because they don't want too, but inflation has gotten to the point where they can't cut the costs to make a dollar menu profitable anymore. They managed to keep it for years, but it's gone now and never coming back.

woodypop

Lower prices. Get rid of that God awful Texas burger which I thought "why not" one day and it was horrible.
Yeah, it seems their pricing has outpaced their quality. Had one of their new Sriracha signature burgers last week, and it was quite delicious. They're kind of late to the Sriracha bandwagon, but I liked it enough to get another one over the weekend. The fact that they offered free medium fries and drink with any signature burger enticed me to give it a shot.

Tansut

I can get more, qualitatively and quantitatively, at Burger King and Wendy's for less.

That's your problem, McD's.

Xilium

In general, I just find Carl's Jr./Hardees breakfast offerings better. On that note, their sandwich variety also puts McD's to shame so between the two, I tend to frequent the former more often. That said, I still like going there to pick up a quarter-ponder with fries and a smoothie.

I can get more, qualitatively and quantitatively, at Burger King and Wendy's for less.

That's your problem, McD's.

Not sure about qualitatively, I think BK is total shit tasting. Wendy's has a decent chicken sandwich but their leprosy burgers make me sick.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I live in a college town with a 24 hour McDonalds where ideally this would be a match made in heaven and nobody seems to care. People would rather spend that kinda money at the breakfast cafe that opens up at 5am. If you're up drinking at 3am, you might as well wait for the better meal.

The quality of what you get just doesn't match up with their prices during breakfast. McDonalds isn't expensive by any means. But everytime I get their breakfast I regret it as soon as I get home.

Duxxy3

Back during the dollar menu days I would actually go to mcdonalds. The price matched the quality of the food. But now... why would I go to mcdonalds? The prices have gone up a lot but it's the same food as before.

VariantX

The food either has to get better, or it's got to get cheaper. They can't have it both ways anymore when literally all of their competition in the burger arena has either always been better than them or stepped up their game recently.

SDCowboy

IMO, McDonald's problem is they have just gotten way too expensive. Unless you order off the bargain menu, their main menu offerings are approaching sit-down restaurant prices. They need to stop trying to be hip and fancy, and go back to what made them great. Decent fast food at a super cheap price.

antonz

Mcdonalds thrived on the fact the food was edible and cheap. The food remains edible but it is no longer anywhere near cheap.

Until they address pricing they will not rebound no matter how much they try to mix and match their menu. All day breakfast offered a temporary hike because it was a new novelty. The novelty has worn off.

Simplifying the menu and embracing their heritage seems the way to go. In N Out doesn't find the need to try and make 20 different new burgers every year. Obviously the difference between In n Out and McD is massive but McDonalds is trying to be everything they are not.

maxcriden

Maybe better quality of food, or try to introduce some of the special items that are in different countries.

Yes. Especially this:

screen-shot-2014-04-16-at-2-17-10-pm.png

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/04/...en-and-shrimp-burgers-look-surprisingly-good/

Mortemis

Banned
for me it isn't about quality or options or whatever, its about price. Their price on items has outpaced it's quality, and there's so many other options out there that are barely more money but much better that it's hard to go there.

styl3s

Just make everything McRib and profit

Egg McRibbin Biscuit
Pork McRibbets
Double Mcrib burger
Big McRib
Filet 'o Rib

Palabrah

It's way too expensive and their menu I'd way too big. They don't even have a dollar menu. Last time I went I went, looked at the menu looking for cheap items and it was just soooooo muuuuuuchhh shiiiittt on the menu. they couldn't fit it all. theyre lost.

Tendo

I hadn't realized they jacked their prices up so much. a dinner for 2 is almost the same as going to 5 guys now, which is just down the road from our local mcdonald's. They goofed.

j0hnnix

still no all-day egg mcmuffin? Or is it that select stores crap..

failure.. McMuffin only good choice..

I'm noticing a common theme in here that I hope McDonalds is looking at. Price.
How much does this stuff cost where you guys live? If price is an issue, then you're not being charged what I'm being charged.

Where I live, McDoubles are two for $2, and I always got two anyway, so they're just $1 each like they always were, and any size soft drink is $1.

That is really cheap.

Velcro Fly

Disappointing sales match disappointing food. The novelty of being able to get a sausage mcmuffin in the afternoon wore off really quickly.

Kyne

I haven't been to mcdonalds in years. There's just better stuff around. No reason I would ever settle with their food. Doesn't matter what they do with their pricing/selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom