• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s sales disappoint in US despite all-day breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Their prices have been soaring while the cost of better food has remained relatively steady.

Mengetsu

You know when I used to eat there all the time? When everything cost $1.00-3.00. If I gotta spend more than 5 bucks on a meal it sure won't be with them.
Wendy's 4 for 4 and Popeyes 5 Dollar Box is more than enough for me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It looks like they are doing ok, considering the market and how competitors are doing.

AudioEppa

I rarely eat out like I use to and I stopped eating McDs way before I cut back. The thing is, their food just isn't good and I realized that after not eating it anymore and going back once.

It's either better homemade or there's better places to eat out if you want something unhealthy lol. I understand that McDonald's is an iconic restaurant, but I feel like the illusion of it being special has died. As a little kid I thought it was like Disneyland as THE PLACE to go, as I'm sure it was for most people. Now? Now we got options, or better, we now understand that there is options.

Maximus.

The thing I hate about reports like this is that these companies all are striving to continuously improve its revenue and profits at any cost. Maybe the company just got too big and has to fall a bit. It is pretty obviously all these fast food places will try and cut out the human element with computers and machines as soon as possible, which will just put a ton of people out of work.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The market is moving slightly away from fast food to healther/less godawfully unhealthy options.

There's not much places like McDonalds that are forever associated (rightfully so) with godawful unhealthy fast food can do to forestall that.

Offering godawfully unhealthy breakfast items wasn't going to change anything. Just more godawfully unhealthy items available around the clock for people who don't care about their health to choose from, and many of them are cheaper than their godawfully unhealthy non-breakfast options.

devilhawk

Still haven't fixed the main problem- Make the food cheaper.

Watch people come back in droves with a tried and true dollar menu... None of this mix and match shit.
Exactly. I'm not going to McD for an 8 dollar burger or a 5 dollar breakfast sandwich.

Simply and expand the cheap items. Get rid of the 2 for X crap that seems to change every week and never even includes fries.

Sulik2

I can only get garbage biscuits and no egg mcmuffins all day in my area so I haven't given them an extra dollar. Way to fail there McDs. Just because I live in the SE doesn't mean I don't like your healthy breakfast option.

Lot at everyone thinking Mcdonald's has a problem. They sell more than BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Chick-Fil-A and Jack in the Box (places people said itt that are better) combined. I guess the prices aren't bothering most people too much. Also, 4th Qtr and 1st Qtr earnings had great increases due to all day breakfast which has been huge for them. It's just that the growth due to it has already been experienced, more people started to go there more often within the next 6 months after it started. Now their revenue is still higher because of it, just the growth has slowed because the well was tapped and the flow is steady, no longer increasing.

bi-graphics-the-top-20-most-successful-fast-food-chains-in-america.png

I went to McDonald's in a non breafast capcity for the first time in a long time last night. Just got 2 double cheeseburgers and they were horrible. They start offering McGriddles w/hashbrowns all day they will get too much of my money. Until then I'll stick to getting it at breakfast time every other month.

The only reason I go to McDonald's is because it's much closer to my house than other chains. The app is pretty decent, though. There are occasionally good deals with it.

I think that is outclassed by many other chains, and it clearly doesn't compare to any local joints.

Ric Flair

Banned
I get the feeling smaller, local businesses are making a big comeback. There was a time when quick and cheap was more valued than quality, but with the rising awareness in public health and the realization that local fresh ingredients cooked to perfection outclass the big Mac any day of the week has caused this gradual and slow decline in sales for the mega food chains .

Chris R

Prices and food quality just don't line up for me to WANT to go there very often. I'll grab a sausage mcmuffin on my way into work if I woke up late every now and then and that's about it.

Either improve the quality of the burger patty or drop the prices to where they should be. Every other fast food chain around has a better burger now.

All I get there is an EggMuffin (and hashbrown sometimes). I used to get the biscuit and egg ones years ago but cut that out when I realized how fatty they are. Microwaved eggs on a rubbery biscuit...yuck. I always dig the mcmuffins though. 300 calories and I've never had an upset stomach later like I do sometimes with the day menu stuff. I don't eat them often and never got one in the daytime, but they aren't bad IMO.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I get the feeling smaller, local businesses are making a big comeback. There was a time when quick and cheap was more valued than quality, but with the rising awareness in public health and the realization that local fresh ingredients cooked to perfection outclass the big Mac any day of the week has caused this gradual and slow decline in sales for the mega food chains .
Sales increased though.

Grym

I go about once every 3 months with my kids as a treat and to play in the playground toy stuff filled with kid germs. Here is what we get:

Vanilla cone x 2 = $1.00
Happy Meal toy x 2 = $2.00
a cup for water for me = free

So about $12/year from my family. You are very welcome McDs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's because they keep jacking up the prices on everything. They act like 2 for 3 McDoubles is a deal when it was just $1 a pop. At this point I can go to Culvers and get a similar meal to my McDonalds meal for better food at a similar price

This and no-all-day-lunch. I want to get a burger at 8:30AM, by god and country I should be able to do that if you're offering the reverse.

sphinx

the piano man
McDonald's food can differ so much in quality comparing one country to another.

In Germany, McD burgers are made with fresh ingredients (Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, cheese) and german meat (it's explained in the packing) and it actually tastes very well.

It's fast food at the end of the day but is a complete different world compared to McDonalds in US restaurants, specially at airports. I've tried McDonalds at those in Houston and Atlanta and it's so terribly bad, I don't understand how people eat that instead of anything else.

jmdajr

Lot at everyone thinking Mcdonald's has a problem. They sell more than BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Chick-Fil-A and Jack in the Box (places people said itt that are better) combined. I guess the prices aren't bothering most people too much. Also, 4th Qtr and 1st Qtr earnings had great increases due to all day breakfast which has been huge for them. It's just that the growth due to it has already been experienced, more people started to go there more often within the next 6 months after it started. Now their revenue is still higher because of it, just the growth has slowed because the well was tapped and the flow is steady, no longer increasing.

wow.

No one is even in the same league.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
McDonald's died for me when they discontinued the cheddar onion burger.

A lot of people are talking about the impact of all day breakfast, but I feel like the McPick has been a bigger failure. It was big news that a few select items were going to go back to their late-00s pricing on the small condition that you had to buy them in multiples of two, but even that's falling apart. Instead of the McPick menu remaining constant, it periodically rotates the 2/$2 with a 2/$5 menu, and when one menu is active, all the items on the other revert to regular price. It's annoying to get to the front of the drive-thru and see that what you want is suddenly almost twice as expensive.

They've also already downgraded the McDouble to a cheeseburger on the 2/$2. I can only assume that the McPick was an attempt to make even smaller margins work in exchange for increasing volume and that it hasn't. Whatever the case, it was poorly-implemented. I pretty much just go for McNuggets now as a guilty treat, but literally any other fast food restaurant has better food for the same price.

Xe4

Banned
I only started to go to McDonalds with all day breakfast. Best decision they've made in a while. Now drop your prices, Maccy macs.

I've gone to McDonald's way more often recently with all day breakfast and the mcpick two option. All day mcmuffins and 8nuggets and a coke for 3.50 is awesome.

btown

I've been to McDonalds exactly once this year: after a movie at 1 AM when everywhere else was closed. The food was surprisingly okay.

Zackat

Wendy's is so much better than McDonalds, idk why you'd still go there.

Only time I have gone there is when everything else is closed.

G.ZZZ

Still find amazing the idea of something like McDonalds being successfull at all. Seems to be strange for my fellow citizens since it's basically inexistent here aside from airports and train stations.

I never wanted them to do all-day breakfast. IMO all they had to do was extend breakfast to noon or even 11:30. 10:30 was always an idiotic time for the switch. Who in the fuck wants lunch at 10:31 AM?

Anybody who says "me" will be banned.

The switchover time was always because they needed an early enough cutoff time so they could clean and convert the kitchen resources devoted to breakfast to serving lunch instead. This need came from most McDonald's locations not actually having enough kitchen space to effectively serve both at the same time.

Of course, then all-day breakfast was rolled out without actually expanding kitchen equipment at all, which just led to slower service overall despite corporate's reasoning that limiting the all-day menu to McMuffins only (in most markets) would make up for the equipment shortfall.

entremet

I actually think this is somewhat true.

It's also why people love Target but avoid Kmart.

Yeah.

NYC McDonald's are usually filled with homeless, beggars, rowdy teens, disgruntled employees, dudes holding the door open hoping for a tip.

It's a horrible experience.

A few more bucks and I can go Chipotle and not deal with that nonsense.

for me it isn't about quality or options or whatever, its about price. Their price on items has outpaced it's quality, and there's so many other options out there that are barely more money but much better that it's hard to go there.

Very much this. Think I paid $8 for McDonald's meal the last time I went and didn't even feel satisfied from it. Their food Just grosses me out. Felt like a pile of grease went into my stomach. I'd opt for Chipotles for quick food service. Chicken, beans, rice with assorted topping offered a much more satisfying meal.

That is clearly the stated problem. No where is it said that they lost the spot as #1 Profit loss is profit lose

Apath

It's seriously the price that's the issue. If I want cheap crap food I go to Taco Bell now, and if I want something a little nicer I can go to a sit down restaurant and get a burger and fries for the same price as a meal from Mcdonalds.
They raised the price of a Mcdouble and Mcchicken 30% to 50% in a year. If I eat there chances are I am spending $7+ for a full meal.

Why would I eat at McDonalds for those prices when I can get much higher quality food from servers who do not have the personality of a wet towel for the same price or $1-$2 more?

Yeah.

NYC McDonald's are usually filled with homeless, beggars, rowdy teens, disgruntled employees, dudes holding the door open hoping for a tip.

It's a horrible experience.

A few more bucks and I can go Chipotle and not deal with that nonsense.

yup.

also, their chicken sandwhiches being switched to standard bread was the last straw for me.

Xero

Their value menu items suck. Getting a jr bacon some chili and drink for 5 bucks at Wendy's is way better. Both Wendy's and burger king have better tasting food for $1-2 . Also people saying McDonald's needs to keep it basic I disagree . Currently their meal items or just bland variations of hamburger or chicken. None of which taste that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom