• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s sales disappoint in US despite all-day breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDCowboy

How much does this stuff cost where you guys live? If price is an issue, then you're not being charged what I'm being charged.

Where I live, McDoubles are two for $2, and I always got two anyway, so they're just $1 each like they always were, and any size soft drink is $1.

That is really cheap.

If you read my other post, I'm referring to their main menu. Not their bargain menu. Their core menu is too big, too expensive, and I think they're trying to get way too fancy for their own good.

I always order off the dollar menu but every once in a while it'd be nice to get a Big Mac combo without the ludicrous price it has reached. And that's their other issue. It's gotten to the point now where more and more people are forced into the super cheap menu because their core menu prices are so astronomical. That will also hurt their earnings.

If you read my other post, I'm referring to their main menu. Not their bargain menu. Their core menu is too big, too expensive, and I think they're trying to get way too fancy for their own good.
Why are you ordering off that menu in the first place? Solve your own problem.

Make it so I don't burp Mc Donalds flavor in my mouth for 8 hours after consumption. Then maybe.

I still won't eat there.

Mcdonalds is so shitty in America. Why not focus on better quality and a bigger range? In Australia we have twice the menu plus better quality, plus made to order, and this year they brought out the make-your-own-burger menu where you can create fancier and nicer shit.
createyourtaste-04.jpg

In America they have bland tasting cheese burgers that don't come close to places like Five Guys or In n Out.

antonz

How much does this stuff cost where you guys live? If price is an issue, then you're not being charged what I'm being charged.

Where I live, McDoubles are two for $2, and I always got two anyway, so they're just $1 each like they always were, and any size soft drink is $1.

That is really cheap.

Most McDonalds ended the 2 for $2 thing because it was intended as a limited time only thing.

E92 M3

Question is why would anyone go to McDonalds when there are so many better places with similar prices? The food quality at McDonalds is absolute shit. They need to work on removing that image.

I bet if you ask 10 people if Chick Fil A is healthy, about 7 would say yes. Most of that is thanks to the image they hold (besides the amazing food).

SDCowboy

Why are you ordering off that menu in the first place? Solve your own problem.

You're missing the point and making mine for me. Their core/main menu is their bread and butter. If the masses are forced into buying off their bargain menu where they make much less profit, that hurts their revenue.

bman94

Hey, how about lowering your fucking prices down again? 2012 I could get a McChicken, Small Fries and Sweet tea for $3+ Tax. That same combination now is like $4+ tax now. And what the fuck is up with the daily double being $2.50 now? Ever since Wendy's started doing the 4 for 4 I pretty much disowned McDonald's for cheap fast food.

Sanjuro

Mcdonalds is so shitty in America. Why not focus on better quality and a bigger range? In Australia we have twice the menu plus better quality, plus made to order, and this year they brought out the make-your-own-burger menu where you can create fancier and nicer shit.
createyourtaste-04.jpg

In America they have bland tasting cheese burgers that don't come close to places like Five Guys or In n Out.

Cost, convenience, speed, etc, etc.

I'm surprised garbage "food" at a premium price is still a viable business model in 2016.

How often are you surprised on a daily basis?

ReAxion

I don't understand their obsession with speed.

I mean, I understand it from their perspective - maximize the money per ticket per hour - but it really doesn't do shit for me if I have to wait 30 seconds or 5 minutes if I'm getting the better product freshly prepared.

You're missing the point and making mine for me. Their core/main menu is their bread and butter. If the masses are forced into buying off their bargain menu where they make much less profit, that hurts their revenue.
I am talking about individual dissatisfied customers in this thread. They're acting like gamers that leave a game on the default difficulty and then go on a message board complaining about how easy it is.

link1201

It's way too expensive for what it is. Raise the quality or lower cost or continue to do poorly. I'd prefer them to go back to basics and excel there.

Yet it works in other countries at McDonald's. If you have better quality burgers why even go to McDonalds when they clearly aren't competitive? You have to be better than your rivals and they don't even try in America.

Maybe better quality of food, or try to introduce some of the special items that are in different countries.

They've been doing that. Every single specialty or 'premium' item they make just dies.

Restaurant burgers, wings, 'select' chicken tenders don't sell.

I was surprised at first by how the breakfast idea boomed but McD's has had a tough problem for a long time.

They can't make the food any cheaper, they can't charge more for the same thing and people don't buy higher quality items that make them more money. They have been in a race to the bottom, price wise, and they don't have anywhere left to go.

People willing to pay more for better food just go get that better food somewhere else.

bman94

createyourtaste-04.jpg

Those are few and far in between. I can't even remember the last time I seen a Five Guys where I live and I don't think we any In n Outs here. McDonald's tho? There's like 8 in a god damn mile radius.

smurfx

get some go again
i never bothered ordering breakfast items because many people said there would be a long wait. also because i only really like eating the cookies and chicken nuggets there these days.

SDCowboy

I am talking about individual dissatisfied customers in this thread. They're acting like gamers that leave a game on the default difficulty and then go on a message board complaining about how easy it is.

That has nothing to do with the point which is McDonalds missing estimates. And as you can see in this thread, most posts are about the price. It's a major issue.

The core menu is the main profit maker. It has gotten so ridiculously expensive, it has forced more and more to what was once the dollar menu. The price of the bargain menu items now, themselves, continues to creep higher and higher. That will lead to less people even ordering from that, then.

Bottom line, they clearly have a very serious price issue in the eyes of the consumer.

Sanjuro

Yet it works in other countries at McDonald's. If you have better quality burgers why even go to McDonalds when they clearly aren't competitive? You have to be better than your rivals and they don't even try in America.

I'd suggest that isn't a good comparison. If McDonalds snapped their fingers and increased the "quality" of their burgers, it would likely not do a ton for them in the long term.

EulaCapra

For one, they can ditch how they present the menus. It's on big television panels but the menu is somehow always cluttered and tiny. Not to mention that the screens always transition to something else.

A hamburger by itself at Five Guys (hamburger meaning no cheese) costs the same as an entire meal at McDonald's, consisting of two McDoubles, medium fries, two apple pies and a large drink.

For that reason, it's stupid to make a comparison. No fucking shit the thing that costs a lot more is going to be better.

E92 M3

I'd suggest that isn't a good comparison. If McDonalds snapped their fingers and increased the "quality" of their burgers, it would likely not do a ton for them in the long term.

Perception is everything. Go into a McDonalds and it will look trashy, staffed by disgruntled employees. Go into a Chick Fil A and it feels like a place the whole family can go to.

That has nothing to do with the point which is McDonalds missing estimates. And as you can see in this thread, most posts are about the price. It's a major issue.

The core menu is the main profit maker. It has gotten so ridiculously expensive, it has forced more and more to what was once the dollar menu. The price of the bargain menu items now, themselves, continues to creep higher and higher. That will lead to less people even ordering from that, then.

Bottom line, they clearly have a very serious price issue in the eyes of the consumer.
I don't care about McDonald's profits. I'm not missing the point, I'm talking about something else. I am talking about individual dissatisfied customers in this thread and wondering why they're actively contributing to their own dissatisfaction.

SDCowboy

This. Quality isn't the issue, which is why they need to stop trying to be fancy. McDonalds isn't supposed to be about amazing burgers. You can get those at any specialty burger joint. McDonalds success is build on fast, super cheap food.

SpecX

Not surprised. I tried to get their all day breakfast a few times at different locations and every single time they made me pull to the side and wait. They just aren't efficient at it and I think it's caused more trouble than anything for the employees with upset customers.

Sanjuro

Perception is everything. Go into a McDonalds and it will look trashy, staffed by disgruntled employees. Go into a Chick Fil A and it feels like a place the whole family can go to.

We are talking about a million beakers we need to mix to find the perfect solution. McDonalds is in largely a no win situation. There is more diversity in the fast food market than ever before. That perception may work for Chik-fil-A, but McDonalds really can't copy and paste any existing scenario and realistically expect to slaughter the competition.

SDCowboy

I don't care about McDonald's profits. I'm not missing the point, I'm talking about something else. I am talking about individual dissatisfied customers in this thread and wondering why they're actively contributing to their own dissatisfaction.

Let me break it down for you. People want the better, name brand burgers they've come to know McDonalds for, and they want them back at a fair price. Folks want a Big Mac without it costing a fortune.

The customer can want whatever they want. It's up to the company to either give it to them, or not.

I actually attempted to get an Egg McMuffin at 10 PM recently and the restaurant couldn't do it. I guess they have a funny definition of "all day".

Up here in Canada their pricing is just brutal.

A basic Big Mac or Mcnuggets meal runs you like $10 now. Just way too much for the quality of the food. I rarely go anymore.

Let me break it down for you. People want the better, name brand burgers they've come to know McDonalds for, and they want them back at a fair price. Folks want a Big Mac without it costing a fortune.

The customer can want whatever they want. It's up to the company to either give it to them, or not.
Fuck off with your condescending "let me break it down for you" attitude. I'm not having a conversation with you anymore.

mm04

Exactly. Don't know what's so hard to understand. And people are doing something about their dissatisfaction. They're not eating there anymore, which is the whole point of this thread. Want me to eat there again, McDonald's? Drop your prices across the board. Otherwise I'll just go across the street to the mom and pop burger stand which is often times cheaper and better than your food.

SummitAve

Banned

How often are you surprised on a daily basis?

Often. Just again now because I don't think your claimed benefits of cost, convenience, and speed have any basis. This thread is full of people sayings it's too expensive for what it is. The lines I see at various McDonald's around the city are anything but speedy and convenient. There are so many obvious options and alternatives where I live that are more affordable, and actually speedy/convenient compared to McDonald's that I can't think of any reason to go unless it's literally the only option or you've already developed a taste for their "food" which might as well just be classified as a schedule 1 drug.

The all day breakfast does nothing for me as I think fast food breakfast is generally disgusting. I'd rather they had all day lunch. It's annoying to have to wait til 10:30 to get a burger.

Of course, their lunch items are pretty crappy, too. Though I do feel they have by far the best chicken nuggets and fries in the industry. But everything is overpriced for what you're getting. I feel like I should be able to get a meal that actually fills me up for $5. When prices start to creep into the $7 range why the fuck wouldn't I get something superior like Wendy's or Arby's?

KingV

I like Chik Fil a, but I feel like I'm being served by Christian fundamentalists every time I go there. It's weird.

Sanjuro

Often. Just again now because I don't think your claimed benefits of cost, convenience, and speed have any basis. This thread is full of people sayings it's too expensive for what it is. The lines I see at various McDonald's around the city are anything but speedy and convenient. There are so many obvious options and alternatives where I live that are more affordable, and actually speedy/convenient compared to McDonald's that I can't think of any reason to go unless you live in a more rural area or you've already developed a taste for their "food" which might as well just be classified as a schedule 1 drug.

Just to clarify, you believe cost, convenience, and speed are not a big proponent of McDonald's business model, right?

McDonalds...

Guevara

I actually think this is somewhat true.

It's also why people love Target but avoid Kmart.

TheMan

Healthier, higher quality food at lower prices. They might also need to get rid of the apathetic mouthbreathers who staff most of their locations.

Korigama

still no all-day egg mcmuffin? Or is it that select stores crap..

failure.. McMuffin only good choice..
In most of the country, McMuffins are available all day. The biscuits, however, are generally only available all day in Southern markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom