• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's adding steak items to its breakfast menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...ing-steak-for-breakfast-in-menu-overhaul.html

Breakfast just got meatier at the Golden Arches.

McDonald’s Corp. (MCD) is introducing a new “thick, juicy steak” for the morning crowd, Lisa McComb, a spokeswoman for the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company, said in an e-mail. Customers can get steak on any breakfast sandwich and the new morning fare will be featured in advertisements, she said.

The fast-food chain began introducing the steak across the U.S. last month and is continuing to roll it out now, she said. It will be sold in about 9,600 of the chain’s more than 14,100 domestic locations, she said. A steak, egg and cheese biscuit with grilled onions has 540 calories -- 10 less than a Big Mac - - while a steak patty on an English muffin packs 430 calories.

McDonald’s has been overhauling its menu this year in an effort to attract American diners, who are cash-strapped and also seeing more new items from Wendy’s Co. and Burger King Worldwide Inc. (BKW) McDonald’s has recently introduced a 250-calorie egg-white sandwich, chicken McWraps and this month is rolling out chicken wings in the U.S. It’s also testing a different Dollar Menu with items priced as much as $5.

“Consumers want new and interesting and different,” Bryan Elliott, an Atlanta-based analyst at Raymond James Financial Inc., said in an interview. The steak sandwiches are part of McDonald’s strategy to have both high-priced items and also value fare, he said.

The steak sandwiches will probably be a “premium product at a premium price, so it’s meant to continue to work on that barbell pricing strategy,” he said. “Steak is one of the most expensive proteins out there.”

Trailed Estimates

McDonald’s earnings have trailed analysts’ estimates in the past two quarters. The company is scheduled to report August same-store sales tomorrow. U.S. sales at stores open at least 13 months rose 1.6 percent in July after falling in June.

The world’s largest restaurant chain rose 0.2 percent to $96.45 yesterday in New York. McDonald’s has gained 9.3 percent this year, trailing a 16 percent increase for the Standard & Poor’s 500 Restaurants Index.

Selling steak in the morning hours may put McDonald’s in competition with some fast-casual dining chains, including Panera Bread Co. (PNRA), that sell steak for breakfast. Panera sells a 630-calorie steak and egg breakfast sandwich with white cheddar cheese on a bagel. Cosi Inc. (COSI) sells a breakfast wrap with steak, eggs, pesto and provolone that has 508 calories.

Wendy’s, based in Dublin, Ohio, last year backed off testing breakfast foods after it wasn’t satisfied with its financial performance. Miami-based Burger King doesn’t sell steak for breakfast, according to its website.

There are about 34,700 McDonald’s restaurants worldwide, of which about 81 percent are franchised.

zemGJZ7.jpg

Lijik

“Consumers want new and interesting and different,”

No McDonalds, what I want is 24 hour McGriddle access. Why do you keep denying my money?

Dresden

They stopped selling the steak egg and cheese bagels like ten years ago around here - I'll probably grab one just for nostalgia's sake.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Disgusting. Shocked people will consume this filth.

I love posts like this, especially about fast food. Yeah, it's bad for you and looks weird compared to a home-prepared counterpart but that doesn't make it "filth." I love McDonald's breakfast burritos and stuff, despite knowing I could make better at home.

How about a fried chicken McGriddle.

Now THIS I can get behind.

Vargas

I wonder if they actually caramelize the onions or if they come that way in a big frozen baggy.

They take a 2 bags of slivered onions (the ones that go on the quarter pounder) and get some sort of brown goop, mix it all up and then dump it on the grill.

Log4Girlz

I have to say I love the clubhouse quarter pounder. Pretzel bun, bacon, grilled onions mmm. I will mention this in ever McDonald's thread until they get rid of it.

Kajigger

I have to say I love the clubhouse quarter pounder. Pretzel bun, bacon, grilled onions mmm. I will mention this in ever McDonald's thread until they get rid of it.

Clubhouse? I can't find it on their site. Is it exclusive to some areas? The quarter pounder with cheese is pretty much all I eat from there, so I NEED to know lol.

How about a fried chicken McGriddle.

I'm actually surprised McDonald's doesn't offer fried chicken. I'm sure it would be great. I loved Wendy's fried chicken (though it could be a bit salty).

Why would you eat so many calories in the morning?

Wouldn't the morning be the best time to eat a high-caloric meal?

XiaNaphryz, why do you post press releases followed by a photo of every McDonalds announcement and other fast food / burger outlets? Can one person love fast food this much?

Leave XiaNaphyrz alone! He's performing a valuable service here. I really wouldn't know about most of these fast-food promotions without his threads.

I'd like to try one of these. They've had the steak bagel on their website for a long time but I've never been to a McDonalds that actually had it.

Showaddy

Chances are that steaks about as real as a hookers smile. Still getting one though, not like Iv'e got many other options if I fancy a steak & egg at 7am on the way to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom