• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From the Giant Bomb Arkham City livestream thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500392

I'd probably suggest looking for a different game to get at launch.

Catwoman stole the framerate.

I guess it is a different game

Damn, that's rough

holy framerate batman!

God I love Arkham City so much, the intro sequence is so amazing. The proper intro, not the Catwoman segment. And the soundtrack is sooo good.

And wow performance is terrible.

THIS FRAMERATE
KuGsj.gif

Dat framerate is falling apart.

I figured the port would probably struggle once they got in the open world.

Framerate. :\

LOL @ THE FRAMERATE

the framerate just shat itself. holy crap.

Mother of god this looks awful

I think the framerate took away frames from OTHER games!

Wow that's really a shame with the Batman port.

Wow. The frame rate in Batman is absolutely fucked up.

Is Arkham City the first/only UE3 game on the WiiU? If Mortal Kombat on the Vita is anything to go by UE games tend to launch poorly on new platforms.

Edit: wait, ME3 is also on the WiiU. Maybe UE3 needs more optimizations for the console?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is Arkham City the first/only UE3 game on the WiiU? If Mortal Kombat on the Vita is anything to go by UE games tend to launch poorly on new platforms.

Edit: wait, ME3 is also on the WiiU. Maybe UE3 needs more optimizations for the console?
The thing is, UE3 is a pretty optimized engine and the WiiU is more modern hardware. The PS3 was built before UE3 had even been used in a retail game and didn't support it well. The WiiU should have been able to handle it. Hell, UE3 is pretty decent on cellphones even (though obviously those games are smaller in scale).

The fact that the WiiU seems to really struggle with UE3 titles is not a good sign. I'm sure they can improve, but they shouldn't have been a huge problem to begin with.

Van Owen

Banned
The thing is, UE3 is a pretty optimized engine and the WiiU is more modern hardware. The PS3 was built before UE3 had even been used in a retail game and didn't support it well. The WiiU should have been able to handle it. Hell, UE3 is pretty decent on cellphones even (though obviously those games are smaller in scale).

The fact that the WiiU seems to really struggle with UE3 titles is not a good sign. I'm sure they can improve, but they shouldn't have been a huge problem to begin with.

You have to consider the Wii U uses a CPU with roots older than anything in the PS3 though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You have to consider the Wii U uses a CPU with roots older than anything in the PS3 though.
Is it really? I've heard the CPU is weak, but that just seems ridiculous. The Cell had been in development for a while by the time it showed up in PS3.

Xellos

I bought Batman and just to reconfirm what everyone already knows -- the framerate sucks, especially during combat. Arkham City is one of my favorite games this gen (previously played through it on PC and PS3) and this is by far the worst version. Major disappointment.

M3d10n

This is actually a good way to do it as it prevents the visible end of shadows line seen in many games.
Also the lightmap doesn't really have to be very big when used for far away objects.

Yeah, it only needs enough resolution to make sure the interior of buildings don't light up when outside the shadow range.

Guymelef

Does Tekken Tag 2 on Wii U looks better than 360/PS3? Does it output 1080p?

According to Beyond3D

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 = dynamic 720x720 to 1280x720, max 1024x720 with 2 characters in-game, max 900x720 with 3 characters, max 800x720 with 4 characters (no AA in-game, 2xAA for character LED background or no-characters-environment-only/rankings view)

The thing is, UE3 is a pretty optimized engine

On platforms that already exist: Wii U is brand new:, api's, libraries are brand new. And Tech support for devs is probably none existant compared to Microsoft(If I remember correctly, they have a call center for devs) How long did it take for UE3 to be "optimized" for PS3?
Took Sony a long time to react and Help Epic "optimize" UE 3 on the ps3 for Unreal Tournament 3.
Personally, I'd say wait. Let the devs speak out.

unreal still isn't optimized on PS3. I played Spec Ops on PS3 and it ran like crap...sub hd, jaggy, so much tearing, I couldn't help but compare it to Uncharted 3 and UC3 looked so much better.

I guess UE3 only runs well on Xbox 360 and PC.

StuBurns

Banned
unreal still isn't optimized on PS3. I played Spec Ops on PS3 and it ran like crap...sub hd, jaggy, so much tearing, I couldn't help but compare it to Uncharted 3 and UC3 looked so much better.

I guess UE3 only runs well on Xbox 360 and PC.
That's developer specific really. Mortal Kombat is fine, the Batmans are fine, Mirror's Edge was fine, UT3 was fine, etc.

Really sucks to hear that about Batman. I was considering picking up the WiiU version, since I haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

Oh well!

3rd party conspiracy to sink the WiiU attach rate confirmed!

Donnie

Cushions asset removed as well. Wii U version definitely weaker in your shot.

The missing pillows is a big, dark10x said that when he came back to that area they were visible, also he says the shadows become high detail as you draw closer. LOD on shadows seems odd and makes no sense either at that kind of distance, so could also be a bug. Incidentally a friend of mine was playing this game on 360 the other day and as he entered a train area everything went low detail, blurry textures ect, he left and came back and it was back to normal, so it seems to have a few bugs.

From looking at the pics the WiiU version looks much sharper with more crisp textures. dark10x says it doesn't on screen, but I can only see the pics, I'm sure we'll get a better more direct comparison though.

Not sure how a game that looks better in some ways and worse in one way gets into a "this game has problems" thread either. Those shadows are ugly, but its a better picture overall to me (360 shot is very dull and lacking detail).

Eusis

Wait to play it yourself. Outside of this thread, the Wii U impressions have been good. At least with Black Ops 2.
BLOPS2 only seems to suffer from occasional FPS drops anyway. Which may well be balanced out by Wii Remote controls, which the others can't claim.

VICI0US

Can't wait for all these terrible, more expensive ports to not sell well and then watch third parties decide there clearly isn't a market for their games on the wii-u

You guys shouldn't worry too much IMO, most of these titles were probably rushed to launch. The first party games and the games next year should look and perform better...

but I wouldn't expect decent quality Durango or Orbis ports at this point. Looks like we have another Wii on our hands.

ozfunghi

Reggie checking them boxes.

ME3, check
COD, check
Batman, check
Ninja Gaiden, check

They might not want to wait til E3 to show some Retro goodness.

Hiltz

Reggie checking them boxes.

ME3, check
COD, check
Batman, check
Ninja Gaiden, check

They might not want to wait til E3 to show some Retro goodness.

Well, there's always Nintendo Direct videos. There's also Game Developer's Conference coming at the end of Wii U's launch window in late March, but I expect Nintendo will be focusing on discussing Wii U's hardware and system apps instead of making game announcements.

Ein Bear

Anyone got any Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed impressions? Sumo were saying it was the best performing version, pre-release.

Hiltz

Gotta love Iwata for holding back Pikmin because of that amazing 3rd party support at launch.

Man, you can say that again.Now he's got me questioning his judgement on having confidence for Wii U being able to have sufficient and good quality third-party support. Let's cross our fingers that the launch lineup next year will turn out to be better.

MisterHero

I was going to say the only really surprising one was Ninja Gaiden because Nintendo's publishing that one.

However, I remembered that I used to enjoy many capable multiplatform ports on Gamecube. What happened with all the talk of Nintendo going around and fine-tuning the hardware to the developers' needs? o_o

Midou

>crappy ports of existing games
>people blame the software

WHY

If it was one developer, or one publisher, or whatever, you can start blaming that, but when it's so many, it's obvious that Nintendo did not push them to do any quality control.

Top Bottom