• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

Ein Bear

I was going to say the only really surprising one was Ninja Gaiden because Nintendo's publishing that one.

I find Batman a bit of a surpise too, to be honest. It doesn't have the 'rushed to make launch' excuse - they announced it alongside the Wii U at E3 2011, they've had ages to work on it.

NeonZ

I was going to say the only really surprising one was Ninja Gaiden because Nintendo's publishing that one.

Nintendo published Samurai Warriors 3 too in some territories (and it had the guest character Takamaru and an entire story mode based on his game), and that game actually performed worse in the Wii than PS2's SW2 (half the framerate...). So, technical problems on Nintendo systems aren't really new for Koei...

It's hard to filter the genuinely bad from the nitpicking...

Gametrailers' stream yesterday made Ninja Gaiden sound much improved over the beta version on other consoles, Shane sounded quite glowing actually, yet here its lumped in with shockingly badly performing games like Batman.. and I'm not sure iffy shadowing is enough to put me off BLOPS2 considering the wiimote option and that 2 player online, each to a screen, perk.

paolo11

According to Beyond3D

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 = dynamic 720x720 to 1280x720, max 1024x720 with 2 characters in-game, max 900x720 with 3 characters, max 800x720 with 4 characters (no AA in-game, 2xAA for character LED background or no-characters-environment-only/rankings view)

Forgive my ignorance but what does this mean? Is it the same as the ps3 version?

Hiltz

The funny thing is that we know many of these developers received dev kits early, something Nintendo admitted was a rare move for it to do. Well, it sure didn't help much.

Instro

The funny thing is that we know many of these developers received dev kits early, something Nintendo admitted was a rare move for it to do. Well, it sure didn't help much.

Speaking of devs who had early dev kits, whats the word on Darksiders 2?

That's quite an embarassing show by either the devs or the console...

This definetly dosn't fare well for those suposedly PS4/720 ports.

Wait to play it yourself. Outside of this thread, the Wii U impressions have been good. At least with Black Ops 2.

I would trust dark10x on this one, he definetly have the eye to check fps. Of course dosn't meant BLOPS2 on Wii U is totally broken.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
On platforms that already exist: Wii U is brand new:, api's, libraries are brand new. And Tech support for devs is probably none existant compared to Microsoft(If I remember correctly, they have a call center for devs) How long did it take for UE3 to be "optimized" for PS3?
Took Sony a long time to react and Help Epic "optimize" UE 3 on the ps3 for Unreal Tournament 3.
Personally, I'd say wait. Let the devs speak out.

Wii U uses AMD 4000 series. It's been around for a while. I think the problem is that the system has bottlenecks that are worse than PS3/360. Namely RAM and CPU. There are PC games than use UE3 that run faster on Intel CPUs than AMD, and AMD's CPUs are certainly faster than a derivative of Gamecubes CPU.

StuBurns

Banned
It's hard to filter the genuinely bad from the nitpicking...

Gametrailers' stream yesterday made Ninja Gaiden sound much improved over the beta version on other consoles, Shane sounded quite glowing actually, yet here its lumped in with shockingly badly performing games like Batman.. and I'm not sure iffy shadowing is enough to put me off BLOPS2 considering the wiimote option and that 2 player online, each to a screen, perk.
Iffy shadows? dark10x said it runs notable worse, who cares about shadows when the framerate isn't there?

MisterHero

one thing for sure, my launch day purchase list is shrinking like my penis under a ice cold shower
I was all about Assassin's Creed and iffy on Rayman (I didn't really appreciate Origin's art). It was so stupid that Rayman was the only playable game on any of the Wii U kiosks I visited, but holy hell is Legends gorgeous.

Hiltz

Speaking of devs who had early dev kits, whats the word on Darksiders 2?

From what I have read, Darksiders 2 appears to be one of the better ports and apparently the best version of the game too. However, that's not saying too much when it's GamePad is just used to make inventory management more convenient and easier map view. Of course, yo ucan also play the game on the GamePad. There's an optional dodge move that you can use with the GamePad's motion control, but it's just unnecessarily tack on despite apparently working well. I don't remember reading about any graphical issues.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I was all about Assassin's Creed and iffy on Rayman (I didn't really appreciate Origin's art). It was so stupid that Rayman was the only playable game on any of the Wii U kiosks I visited, but holy hell is Legends gorgeous.

same thing happened to me. I went from zero interest for Legends to "why isn't this a launch game". Well, at least there's Nano Assault, Mario and Tekken 2. And maybe FIFA

About ME3's shadows, who else prefers the baked shadows to the blocky ones?

I blame Bioware for not helping Straight Right or EA not giving them much cash for it, also don't expect miracles from a team that was never considered to be AAA, hell undertaking such a MASSIVE game is an achievement on its own.

I do find farming Batman to WB Montreal lazy, I don't know how much Rocksteady was involved, glad they got all the 10 out of 10 err I mean GOTY edition content in there, and the exclusive stuff to boot, and as said, it seems to still be a great game, just hampered by the textures in places and the framerate, if I buy it (never played the game), I might still love it. Still a lazy port tech-wise.

At least AC III and BO2 were by their own dev or by veterans of the series; Ubi Quebec did the Wii U version while Montreal created the game, the Quebec team helped out in prior entries, the most of any other IIRC. And of course Treyarch did the Wii U version of BO2.

Darksiders II Wii U is by THQ Montreal, not sure if this is their first game or not, if it's the same tech-wise and not worse than the PS360 versions, then props for not screwing it up (further?) I guess. :p

Ninja Gaiden was going to still be bad, though it could've been more polished if it was really helped with by Nintendo, hope Lego City Undercover (also published by Nintendo) gets extra polished now that it's disappeared off the radar, I think it's now in spring?

But let's not forget, these games obviously suffered from launchitis. It couldn't be helped, delaying them a month or two might've helped. But then they lose the holiday season (or just barely if released in December).

Thank god Rayman and Lego City got delayed. Lego City looked really rough when we last saw it demoed.

JordanN

Banned
With all we saw so far, I don't think anything ever will.
Wtf? So you're saying games like Scribblenauts Unlimited don't exist anymore?

Ok, I think I'm going to stop posting in these tech threads. People are deliberately being bashful now.

ozfunghi

Well, there's always Nintendo Direct videos. There's also Game Developer's Conference coming at the end of Wii U's launch window in late March, but I expect Nintendo will be focusing on discussing Wii U's hardware and system apps instead of making game announcements.

They need to get some footage out, ASAP, of games shining on the hardware, because if they were serious with their "recapturing the hardcore" PR, right now they aren't exactly capturing hearts.

So... are ANY third party games up to par on the Wii U at launch?

This is just ridiculous. I remember months ago when people were having arguments about the Wii U's power people were claiming the machine would have the best versions of all multiplatforms. I told them to hold off on making such claims because some of the multiplats would surely have performance issues.

I was thinking one or two multiplats might have issues... but ALL of them? Just wow.

Coolwhip

Banned
Watch the publicers that put out these shitty, late, cheap made by interns, ports say that their games don't sell on Nintendo consoles.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So this was a an extra cash grab

No dev tried to optimize the WiiU version to be stellar/stand out

I get COD BLOPS II with the dev being stretched out, also that favoritism to 360, but say Batman, how can they fuck it up that bad?

So Reggie was right, Batman is a whole new experience on the WiiU, only the experience wasn't ecstasy but more frustration

So... are ANY third party games up to par on the Wii U at launch?

This is just ridiculous. I remember months ago when people were having arguments about the Wii U's power people were claiming the machine would have the best versions of all multiplatforms. I told them to hold off on making such claims because some of the multiplats would surely have performance issues.

I was thinking one or two multiplats might have issues... but ALL of them? Just wow.

Sonic (a good choice for one) is the best seemingly on Wii U from what I gather, there's just a glitch, but I'm sure that'll be patched.

Darksiders might also be the best on Wii U as someone said above, but I don`t know how.

squidyj

So this was a an extra cash grab

No dev tried to optimize the WiiU version to be stellar/stand out

I get COD BLOPS II with the dev being stretched out, also that favoritism to 360, but say Batman, how can they fuck it up that bad?

here's an idea. maybe it's not the devs fault, maybe it's the WiiU.

dan2026

You guys realise that when the new PS3/Xbox consoles come out this will happen more and more often.

Crappy Wii U ports everywhere. No dev will want to spend the extra time.

Anth0ny

step 1) all ports at launch are shit. "devs need to get used to the new hardware!"

step 2) by the time devs "get used to the new hardware", ps4 and 720 are released, and wii u starts receiving downports of third party games that noone wants and they start selling like shit.

step 3) third party support dries up, wii situation all over again.

Until Nintendo shows they actually give a shit about third parties (as in, a console on par with sony and microsoft's next box), don't expect good third party support for your Nintendo console. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

MisterHero

Who was it again that was saying the Wii-U had a stellar launch lineup? I want whatever pills those people are taking.
Assassin's Creed alone would've made my entire launch window. For me, there was Mario, Nintendo Land, AC, Lego City.

I still expect Nintendo's games to perform well; Lego City looked like it stuttered at E3 (I didn't care), and one action game out of NG/AC/Darksiders. And Wonderful 101.

Remember this was before the issues popped up for the other platforms. Publishers are goofing up or something. ;p

step 1) all ports at launch are shit. "devs need to get used to the new hardware!"

step 2) by the time devs "get used to the new hardware", ps4 and 720 are released, and wii u starts receiving downports of third party games that noone wants and they start selling like shit.

step 3) third party support dries up, wii situation all over again.
They could work around this by simply letting Wii U be a lead platform but nooooooo.

They'll let Wii U be a lead platform for mobile, however. *rolls eyes*

Until Nintendo shows they actually give a shit about third parties (as in, a console on par with sony and microsoft's next box), don't expect good third party support for your Nintendo console. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Fair enough.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
here's an idea. maybe it's not the devs fault, maybe it's the WiiU.

It's not like the WiiU is some archaic structure that is the Cell from Sony

I get that there would be some early growing pains, but at least versions that are ports try to run @ parity from the get go

Huff

Banned
Assassin's Creed alone would've made my entire launch window. For me, there was Mario, Nintendo Land, AC, Lego City.

I still expect Nintendo's games to perform well; Lego City looked like it stuttered at E3 (I didn't care), and one action game out of NG/AC/Darksiders. And Wonderful 101.

Remember this was before the issues popped up for the other platforms. Publishers are goofing up or something. ;p

AssCreed is running like shit on all consoles. Not surprised the wiiu version is following that trend.

Top Bottom