• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

kagete

I hate my founders Atlas so much. I wish I got that Catapult instead. BTW can the founder's Cat load up on double gauss or AC/20 like the K2 variant?

Mupod

"3 out of potential 8 kills in one match is a lot to ask for from a light mech"

Not too much. I don't believe the KD/R is a per match thing, so you just need to avoid dying in a match. It doesn't matter if you only got one kill or no kills in any one particular match, so long as you avoid dying.

Exactly, and it's actually easier to stay alive in a Jenner than in an Atlas since you can avoid getting in a situation where you'd die in the first place. Assaults don't have that luxury and just have to walk forward and make the other team die first. Getting the actual kills in a light mech is tougher due to your limited weaponry, but your speed will give you plenty of opportunities that a slow mech would miss out on. Plus it's much easier to hit the rear armor when you have mobility - dragons, catapults and awesomes can run pretty fast with a 400XL but they still turn like bricks.

Right now collisions are actually the most deadly thing to lights, and your survival rate improves massively once you can pilot well enough to avoid them. But once in a while that inattentive friendly Commando will slam into you from the side and then you'll get blown to hell by an Awesome or whatever. They're also planning on adding knockdowns to heavy ballistic weapons, but until they improve the netcode a bit trying to hit a tiny 140kph target with an AC20 is a waste of ammo anyways.

Nickiepoo

"3 out of potential 8 kills in one match is a lot to ask for from a light mech"

Not too much. I don't believe the KD/R is a per match thing, so you just need to avoid dying in a match. It doesn't matter if you only got one kill or no kills in any one particular match, so long as you avoid dying.

Yeah, my win-loss is 2 to 1 right now so I only need to average 1 jenner kill per match to get a 3/1 k/d. I'm currently at just under 4/1 which means that other people must be getting better because it used to be 5/1.

I mean, it's beta and there's minimal training documentation, I still see people alpha-striking with every shot because they havn't worked out how to unlink their weapons and honestly, the Atlas is a horrible starting mech in terms of learning the game.

Been playing Jenner lately alot and yup, I'm constantly surviving matches. It's just so much easier to evade the enemies and get away when stuff gets bad, especially because many matches are so heavy on Assault mechs currently. But light mechs are a blast to play unlike the old mechwarrior titles where they were essentially useless.

Nymerio

If you're not already a Mechwarrior fan you should probably wait. This isn't one of these "betas" where you can play a few weeks before release, it's a genuine beta with lots of bugs and missing features.

Woorloog

Banned
If you're not already a Mechwarrior fan you should probably wait. This isn't one of these "betas" where you can play a few weeks before release, it's a genuine beta with lots of bugs and missing features.

That and you definetly shouldn't choose a Founder's mech before you know how each weight-class handles etc. Those with MW experience can make reasonable predictions how they handle and what they might like.
Didn't someone say they hated their Atlas?

Well I've been into Mechwarrior since MW2mercs, but it sounds like waiting a little while wouldn't hurt.

Isn't there some benefit to picking the Atlas as your starting mech, though, since it's presumably the most expensive? So, say you want both a Jenner and an Atlas, wouldn't it make sense to pick the Atlas as your starting mech, then slog through enough games in it to earn enough to buy a Jenner?

Granted, if you truly hate the Atlas and never want to play it, that wouldn't be the best choice, but if you're just looking to build a large stable of mechs, it seems like a reasonable way to go about it.

Obviously this reasoning doesn't apply to choosing a Founders mech, since those are unique, so if you can only pick one, you don't want to waste your pick on a mech you aren't terribly fond of.

Woorloog

Banned
Isn't there some benefit to picking the Atlas as your starting mech, though, since it's presumably the most expensive? So, say you want both a Jenner and an Atlas, wouldn't it make sense to pick the Atlas as your starting mech, then slog through enough games in it to earn enough to buy a Jenner?
Well, an Atlas costs considerably more to repair than a Jenner...
Just remember the game has certain focus on role as well, the Atlas is intended to be used in a very different way from the Jenner. You need quite different skills for different mechs, heavier mechs are usually more demanding when it comes to marksmanship and heat management, whereas lighter mechs usually demand better piloting skills, good knowledge of maps etc.

Me, i wouldn't recommend an Atlas for beginners regardless of what they want to do now or later.
Medium is a good bet for beginners as they usually have good blend of attributes, find out what you like and start specializing.

Also, unofficial IS news:
Today, 13th of August 3049, the Inner Sphere forces have made their first contact with the invading Clan forces on The Rock (somewhere in the Periphery). Phelan Kell of the Kell Hounds mercenary unit has been captured. This is where the Clan Omnimech Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) was first seen.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Today, 13th of August 3049, the Inner Sphere forces have made their first contact with the invading Clan forces on The Rock (somewhere in the Periphery). Phelan Kell of the Kell Hounds mercenary unit has been captured. This is where the Clan Omnimech Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) was first seen.

iQFUnnCc3xDzF.png

They're coming!!!

Woorloog

Banned
http://i.minus.com/iQFUnnCc3xDzF.png[IMG]
They're coming!!![/QUOTE]

It'll take them a few months still. I think the Clans invade the Inner Sphere proper in March 3050. So, some 7 months till i'd expect "Clan update" for MWO.
EDIT, yeah, [URL="http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Operation_Revival"]March-April 3050[/URL].

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
How is the Centurion fairing?

Actually, I'm not even sure which mechs are available right now. Is that info NDA breaking?

Mupod

How is the Centurion fairing?

Actually, I'm not even sure which mechs are available right now. Is that info NDA breaking?

Not a fan of the Cent but you can make them fast and mean if you like SRMs.

Current mechs are Jenner, Commando, Centurion, Hunchback, Catapult, Dragon, Awesome, and Atlas.

Trebuchet isn't in yet. Forums seem to think the Raven will be in next but I don't think it will until ECM is ready. I'm REALLY looking forward to the Cataphract.

Woorloog

Banned
Not a fan of the Cent but you can make them fast and mean if you like SRMs.

Current mechs are Jenner, Commando, Centurion, Hunchback, Catapult, Dragon, Awesome, and Atlas.

Okay, how is Commando then?
While i like the Raven, i kinda like how the Commando looks in this game and probably will be piloting it as my light mech.

Woorloog

Banned
Everyone takes Jenner over Commandos. Commandos are rarely seen

People probably just look at weight (35 tons vs 25 tons).
I can see myself using a Commando with various electronics and an ER Large Laser as a spotter/scout/support sniper. Screw jumpjets, they'll never see me before the massive missiles salvos blow them up.

Mupod

Commandos can be good if you load up on SRMs, but the Jenner is overall far better thanks to more weight and jumpjets.

I still won a match with 8 Commandos on my team. Commandomination is very satisfying.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

E2TSl.jpg

Actually, the best mech is the bowling ball Dragon. 400xl engine and maybe some small lasers or whatever. You can run straight through anything that isn't an Atlas, and if you hit an Atlas you both go down.

Woorloog

Banned
Commandos can be good if you load up on SRMs, but the Jenner is overall far better thanks to more weight and jumpjets.

I still won a match with 8 Commandos on my team. Commandomination is very satisfying.

Well, the money will be more important in the "final" game, no?
Commando costs 2/3rds of Jenner's price, so i assume Commando's repairs are also chaper.

Commando with Endo-Steel and XL-engine (maybe with slightly higher rating to push the speed up to 120km/h or so) and Ferro-Fibrous armor to save weight, armament should be mix of lasers, pulse lasers and SRMs for striker, alternatively LRMs and an ER Large Laser for long range support. Either one should be effective in good hands, and still cheaper than equivalent Jenner (right?).

kagete

Due to the hardpoint restrictions, the Founder's Atlas is really an energy/missile boat or all-rounder which are the loadouts I have the least fun I have playing in MWO. You only have one slot for ballistic weapons and your arms can only do energy so your targeting styles will be different which isn't too nice if you decide to mix up your weapon types. You're the slowest and don't really excel in any role aside from getting shot at repeatedly. The Hunchback and Catapult are better and faster with similar firepower while the Awesome is way better at managing heat. Overheating Atlases that hunch over are the easiest targets on the map, and you see them in every game.

Divvy

Yeah Commando desperately needs ECM suite. That being said, Raven might be better for that too.

Due to the hardpoint restrictions, the Founder's Atlas is really an energy/missile boat or all-rounder which are the loadouts I have the least fun I have playing in MWO. You only have one slot for ballistic weapons and your arms can only do energy so your targeting styles will be different which isn't too nice if you decide to mix up your weapon types. You're the slowest and don't really excel in any role aside from getting shot at repeatedly. The Hunchback and Catapult are better and faster with similar firepower while the Awesome is way better at managing heat. Overheating Atlases that hunch over are the easiest targets on the map, and you see them in every game.

I like using mine for sneak attacks by taking the side roads and hitting the enemy lance from the back while they're distracted by the main lance. I loaded mine out with an AC20, two SRm6s and three medium pulse lasers. Will probably put in an XL engine to speed it up later.

Mupod

Actually, the best mech is the bowling ball Dragon. 400xl engine and maybe some small lasers or whatever. You can run straight through anything that isn't an Atlas, and if you hit an Atlas you both go down.

It works but it's really lame to be on the receiving end, and they WILL be fixing it. Although it's funny watching unscrupulous Dragon pilots try to ram my 350~400XL Catapult while I just circle them and blow their side torso off.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah Commando desperately needs ECM suite. That being said, Raven might be better for that too.

Raven is desinged to carry a good load of electronics: ECM, BAP, Narc and TAG. Give a team a few missile boat Catapults and you're all set...
That said, any mech can take Raven's role with similar suite of electronics, if it is Commando it will have to sacrifce some weapons though.

EDIT ugh, Raven is not cheap. 5.7 million C-Bills... (canonically, likely in MWO as well?)

EDIT any word if we're getting Inferno ammo for SRMs and LRMs for MWO?
Because i really want to make a Commando equipped with a pair of Flamers and Inferno-equipped SRMs!

Fireye

Raven is desinged to carry a good load of electronics: ECM, BAP, Narc and TAG. Give a team a few missile boat Catapults and you're all set...
That said, any mech can take Raven's role with similar suite of electronics, if it is Commando it will have to sacrifce some weapons though.

EDIT ugh, Raven is not cheap. 5.7 million C-Bills... (canonically, likely in MWO as well?)

EDIT any word if we're getting Inferno ammo for SRMs and LRMs for MWO?
Because i really want to make a Commando equipped with a pair of Flamers and Inferno-equipped SRMs!

Raven shows up in 3039 record sheets, so it could show up in MWO. It has not been confirmed OR announced yet, so don't hold your breath. There are LOTS of mechs which _could_ be in MWO, but very few currently are.

Keasar

Decided to look at some of the other Battletech mechs that exist and damn, there is a whole ton of these.

I want this one in the game.
Omen.jpg

And whatever the hell this thing is I want too.
457px-Thunderstallion.jpg.png

The game does need more quad legged mechs.

Divvy

If we're talking about mechs we want. I gotta reiterate how much I want the Black Knight from MW4:

36DTFm.jpg

And the Axeman:

rvwwW.jpg

Oh and the Fafnir why not?

625Pim.jpg

Fireye

Decided to look at some of the other Battletech mechs that exist and damn, there is a whole ton of these.

I want this one in the game.
Omen.jpg

And whatever the hell this thing is I want too.
457px-Thunderstallion.jpg.png

The game does need more quad legged mechs.

The mech you linked (for everyone elses benefit) is the Clan Omen heavy mech. It was introduced in the 3085 technical readout... so don't expect to see it anytime soon!

The second mech you linked is the Thunder Stallion, introduced in 2850. There's a reason quad-legged mechs aren't very popular. They're generally slow and heavy. I don't think any quads have showed up in other mechwarrior games, and I wouldn't expect any to show up here.

Lore-wise, they're usually encountered as Agro-mechs, used to cut down forests and such.

As for mechs I personally want to see, I'd put forward:
Valkyrie - doesn't even have to have VTOL mode. Just classic awesome.
Warhammer - Mmmmmmmmmm so chunky, so awesome.
Shadow Hawk - Would be a good medium C&C mech

Woorloog

Banned
How many critical slots do mechs have in their arms for equipment?
Ferro Fibrous + Endo Steel eat 4 slots total from each arm. Can i still mount a Gauss Rifle there (ammo in torso)? If not, this is going to be frustrating...

Woorloog

Banned
Do we have any word if MASC is going to be usable equipment in the game? Wondering because it is available and in production by '35 in canon.

oktarb

I've played maybe 20 games and I still can't figure out how to change my Weapon groups. Crazy I know but everything I do with the control button and arrow keys never seems to have any effect.

Also to the matches seem pretty short to you guys? Start up and 10 minutes later its all over. Are they meant to be this quick?

kagete

I've played maybe 20 games and I still can't figure out how to change my Weapon groups. Crazy I know but everything I do with the control button and arrow keys never seems to have any effect.

Also to the matches seem pretty short to you guys? Start up and 10 minutes later its all over. Are they meant to be this quick?

Try changing your brightness/contrast/gamma settings so that the different selected/colored weapon groups will be more visible. Also note that left mouse button doesn't actually default to firing weapon group 1, but the currently selected weapon group instead.

oktarb

Try changing your brightness/contrast/gamma settings so that the different selected/colored weapon groups will be more visible. Also note that left mouse button doesn't actually default to firing weapon group 1, but the currently selected weapon group instead.

I can see everything clearly. I can move the selection bar up and down and through the numbers but I can't change anything. They are always group in 1. I feel like a retard because it should be that hard.

Are you using the right control button, the one next to your arrow keys?

Top Bottom