• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

epmode

Man, screw those guys for waiting until the absolute last day to announce that the Founder's Program will continue beyond August 7th. Same goes for how the premium account bonus goes live on day one of the open beta with no option to save it until later.

Nymerio

The beta will eventually be open but no date has been set. If you want in now, you have to buy a founders pack.

Nickiepoo

Nope, 7th was just the date when all founders got access and they stopped selling the packs.
Both of those things changed.

Bizazedo

Game is awesome.

....but, I am highly concerned about AFK'ers and friendly fire due to F2P. Griefers could have a field day.

Orayn

Founders 'Mechs look really nice in-game.

Game is awesome.

....but, I am highly concerned about AFK'ers and friendly fire due to F2P. Griefers could have a field day.

A Dota 2-like system to report/commend players would do nicely in taking care of those. I'm sure Piranha is already looking into ways of dealing with the issue.

Yay founder mechs Mmmm

Anyways do they plan on having a soundtrack?

Also about when they go open beta, they say that MC purchases will not be refunded then as they will be in closed beta... does this mean anything we buy in open beta will then be permanently available to us when game goes "live".?

Ebris

Yaaaay stopped crashing to mechlab for the most part!

I love my Founders AS7-D, but DAGON (AS7-D-DC)...now that is one mean sumbitch.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's worth it for me. I wish people would stop stating their opinion as fact.

You may have done the mental gymnastics to say yeah that's worth it...

but in terms of efficacy, the money spent on the legendary pack is clearly the lowest - with an additional $60 for 3 mechs and 1 month additional month of bonus cbill/xp.

I believe someone listed the cost of the legendary mechs bought seperately as $15...

and the cost of an additional month of bonus cbills/xp is less than $15...

So objectively, yeah, it's not very worthwhile!

Nymerio

Meh, I didn't do any mental gymnastic. I simply went with the legendary pack because it's a new Mechwarrior game and I think this is worth supporting. I had the money to buy it, so I didn't think twice about it.

Did they post how much mechs are when you buy them for real money?

Bizazedo

Meh, I didn't do any mental gymnastic. I simply went with the legendary pack because it's a new Mechwarrior game and I think this is worth supporting. I had the money to buy it, so I didn't think twice about it.

Did they post how much mechs are when you buy them for real money?

Think it varies by Mech. My Centurion I modeled after YenloWang was around 3000 MC bills.

It's worth it for me. I wish people would stop stating their opinion as fact.

If you want to mentally add "In my opinion" to my post, you can. Since that's what it was. I posted on a previous page the value:cost breakdown of the packages, which is all I was trying to reiterate here.

I just don't personally put as much value on the additional Founders mechs as you did. That's the opinion part. I'm sorry I didn't make this explicit. Zap explained my point better than I could, anyway.

kagete

Does the founder's Catapult have energy hardpoints for arms or is it a missile-spec variant? I wish we could change our choices, as I now really hate playing in an Atlas because of how slow it is and of course that's what I picked for my founder's choice way before i got into the beta.

Nymerio

It's alright, I hadn't had my first coffee then which makes me kinda snappy. People may not value the stuff the same as me and I'm ok with that.

Does the founder's Catapult have energy hardpoints for arms or is it a missile-spec variant? I wish we could change our choices, as I now really hate playing in an Atlas because of how slow it is and of course that's what I picked for my founder's choice way before i got into the beta.

Missile-spec.

Now, before yesterday I knew you could go here: http://mwomercs.com/founders/

And then if you're logged in, you could click the the "1 Founder's Mech" section of the table and it would let you change it.

As of right this second, the site seems to be down, so I'm uncertain if that's still available as they've now handed the mechs out. Worth a shot when they come back up though.

I hadn't had my first coffee then which makes me kinda snappy.

It happens to the best of us, it's cool. I apologize for lookin' like a dick. :)

Bog

Junior Ace
As I haven't played MWO yet, does it seem like the people with the joystick/throttle setups have a real advantage over the M+kb players?

As I haven't played MWO yet, does it seem like the people with the joystick/throttle setups have a real advantage over the M+kb players?

I'd go so far as to say no, not really. In fact, mousing for me feels quicker and more accurate.

In the final, I might spend more time tweaking sensitivity on certain axises and might find a better setup, but right now as a light harasser type I find the mouse is able to let me focus fire on arms and legs better than I was doing with a joystick.

Riggs

Banned
This is the only reason I have not bought this game yet. Wish I could find a general consensus on what is preferred/best for control options. All I have is mouse KB and 360 pad. I used to have like 5 different joysticks, those were the days : )

I remember a mod in here saying he used the throttle portion of the Saitek 52 set up, wonder what most people are playing with though.

I don't think so. Mouse aiming to me feels more accurate but I think it will all be personal preference for all with no real advantage for either

Nymerio

I think we'll have to wait till joysticks are properly supported as it's currently in the early stages of implementation. Hopefully they'll improve when we get near open beta. I think lots of people would like to play this with a joystick (including myself) so hopefully they'll manage to make joystick controls viable.

Currently mouse aiming is definitely the better choice.

Orayn

This is the only reason I have not bought this game yet. Wish I could find a general consensus on what is preferred/best for control options. All I have is mouse KB and 360 pad. I used to have like 5 different joysticks, those were the days : )

I remember a mod in here saying he used the throttle portion of the Saitek 52 set up, wonder what most people are playing with though.

Most people are just doing KB/M, but the setup Teknopathetic described definitely has its advantages.

Uchip

Banned
You may have done the mental gymnastics to say yeah that's worth it...

but in terms of efficacy, the money spent on the legendary pack is clearly the lowest - with an additional $60 for 3 mechs and 1 month additional month of bonus cbill/xp.

I believe someone listed the cost of the legendary mechs bought seperately as $15...

and the cost of an additional month of bonus cbills/xp is less than $15...

So objectively, yeah, it's not very worthwhile!

pretty sure i just played a game with you
didnt know there was a gaf thread

Wow, I got randomly complimented tonight and given a nickname by people in a public chat. feelsgood.jpg

I've been running my Jenner and doing pretty well on the night and running into a few folks a couple of times, but apparently my exploits were impressing a few people.

Running a 3.25 KD/R in my Jenner though. Feels pretty good.

I wonder if they'll consider, say, at the persistent universe planet battles level (and/or maybe high level matches) implementing a sort of weight limit. There's something depressing when 12 of 16 players are the battlefield are Atlases, and about a third of those eschew everything for loading up on LRM15s.

Nickiepoo

holy shit

Yeah, that's decent jenner, but a good jenner build and pilot SHOULD be getting kills. With a 50/50 win/loss and a jenner that's mostly able to keep itself alive, two kills per match isn't a huge amount to ask for when you make it your job to murder stagglers and harrass LRM boats.

And that's just with randoms, working with an organised team with voip, 3k/d in a jenner is what I'd expect at the least.

Lime

Yeah, that's decent jenner, but a good jenner build and pilot SHOULD be getting kills. With a 50/50 win/loss and a jenner that's mostly able to keep itself alive, two kills per match isn't a huge amount to ask for when you make it your job to murder stagglers and harrass LRM boats.

And that's just with randoms, working with an organised team with voip, 3k/d in a jenner is what I'd expect at the least.

Damn, I suddenly feel an urge of imposed expectations whenever I play a light mech from now on :p.

3 out of potential 8 kills in one match is a lot to ask for from a light mech, due to lack of firepower / heat dissipation. The differences in gameplay style across the weight classes really create a challenge for anyone crossing over from higher or lower weight classes.

"3 out of potential 8 kills in one match is a lot to ask for from a light mech"

Not too much. I don't believe the KD/R is a per match thing, so you just need to avoid dying in a match. It doesn't matter if you only got one kill or no kills in any one particular match, so long as you avoid dying.

Top Bottom