• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Orayn

I haven't scoured the site, but are the founders mech just reskins, or unavailable mechs to f2p peasants?

Exclusive color schemes and they earn extra money in battle. Apart from that, they're the same 'Mech variants you can buy normally.

Woorloog

Banned
thanks, that clears up somethings. I was under the impression that the game would be riddled with real money transactions, like cash for ammo or repairs, in the form of buying extra c-bills.

No pay to win. At least the devs intend to avoid that. Convenience and customization options via cash.

Me, i'll pay enough to paint my Catapult white and green, with some gold.
And my avatar needs to be visible promiently somewhere on the mech. Well, the old version of Capellan Confederation emblem anyway, this is the newer, Xing Sheng version.

Ocho

I haven't scoured the site, but are the founders mech just reskins, or unavailable mechs to f2p peasants?

Unavailable variants for non elite/legendary founders.

Edit: so bad I didn't see there was a new page with answers.

Edit2: I thought the variant was exclusive to founders.

Ocho

Incorrect. These are the prime variants. They are the default variant for each chassis.

Edit: Didn't see your edit! Sorry!

Yep, good to know that variant can be unlockable. I'm currently sitting as a Veteran and was thinking of going Legendary because I had my info wrong. Not so sure if I want Legendary now, or even Elite.

"Can you link the throttle you have? I want to have the right stuff for this game. I always played the old games with a sidewinder joystick."

It's just one half of a Saitek X52.

Riggs

Banned
"Can you link the throttle you have? I want to have the right stuff for this game. I always played the old games with a sidewinder joystick."

Ty, just wondering what most people recommend over all I guess. Haven't purchased founders yet but definitely going to.

Orayn

What are you using to turn? The miniature POV hat? One of the sliders? I'd do the same and use the ministick, but it's not recognized as its own set of axes.

"What are you using to turn? The miniature POV hat? One of the sliders? I'd do the same and use the ministick, but it's not recognized as its own set of axes."

Mini POV hat. Though, I suppose slider could work just as well.

Orayn

Yeah, it'd be nice to have analog control over turning, but it's unfortunate that none of the sliders are self-centering. Don't know if it'd be worth it to pick up pedals...

Yep, good to know that variant can be unlockable. I'm currently sitting as a Veteran and was thinking of going Legendary because I had my info wrong. Not so sure if I want Legendary now, or even Elite.

Personally don't see the point to Legendary, yeah. The value for the money versus Elite is actually less. Maybe if they gave you 120 dollars worth of in game currency.

Additionally, those variants are not my cup of tea.

iirate

I'm still considering legendary simply because those are 4 mechs that don't count towards my stable limit. Dunno if that makes it worth it (probably not), but it's still a consideration.

Not to mention, I have no idea what I'm going to end up piloting in this game, and would hate to pick the wrong founder's mech.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have analog control over turning, but it's unfortunate that none of the sliders are self-centering. Don't know if it'd be worth it to pick up pedals...

Pedals would make sense for torso twist more than than actual turning though, no?

I think I'd have a tough time with that setup. (assuming you mean mouse = twist/pitch, throttle for speed, pedals for turning?)

Orayn

Pedals would make sense for torso twist more than than actual turning though, no?

I think I'd have a tough time with that setup. (assuming you mean mouse = twist/pitch, throttle for speed, pedals for turning?)

Well, the "expert" setup in arcade BattleTech pods has torso twist on a joystick and leg turning on pedals, plus a throttle. I'd be using essentially the same thing, but substituting the joystick for a mouse.

Well, the "expert" setup in arcade BattleTech pods has torso twist on a joystick and leg turning on pedals, plus a throttle. I'd be using essentially the same thing, but substituting the joystick for a mouse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I've never used them (alas, my geographical location :( ), but the difference between Mid and Advanced was just which one twist got mapped to (and maybe some other mappings, but that was the big thing).

Personally, from my Mech 4 days, torso tied to pedals was my preferred method of doing it. Granted, that was a long ass time ago so maybe I'd prefer it this way instead these days.

I no longer have those pedals, so I can't test it out, so maybe it's just my nostalgia speaking.

Orayn

That's correct. I think I'm just showing my preference for plodding, weapon-focused 'Mechs over nimble ones that need to do a lot of leg-turning.

Nickiepoo

They're reskins that also give you +25% cbills for every match you use them in.

Personally don't see the point to Legendary, yeah. The value for the money versus Elite is actually less. Maybe if they gave you 120 dollars worth of in game currency.

They're better value for money if you want the extra founders mechs (valued at $15 each) and the extra month of pemium ($10).

They're better value for money if you want the extra founders mechs (valued at $15 each) and the extra month of pemium ($10).

I meant purely from monetary exchange standpoint.

If we go Value/Package Cost we get ratios of:

Veteran: 50/30 = 1.667

Elite: 115/60 = 1.917

Legendary: 170/120 = 1.417

So bang for your buck clearly lies with Elite. If you place a higher personal value on the Founders Mechs than the 15 they're valued at then that'll all change for you, yeah.

JesseZao

Heh, I guess it makes sense for it to be the worst value since that's the fanboy package.

I wonder how many matches you'd have to play for the 25% bonus on the three other variants to make the value equal. I would normally play a catapult/mad cat type, but I'm not sure what style I will enjoy most with this game. It's between the Atlas or Catapult for me and I'm not sure I like deciding before I get to play both.

Edit: Also, the founder mechs don't count towards your apparent 4 slot garage limit, but I have no idea how much that matters.

Ocho

Yeah, I will possibly go Elite. Don't care about the founder mechs, but that 80 bucks for 60 and 2 months of premium is reasonable.

I wonder how many matches you'd have to play for the 25% bonus on the three other variants to make the value equal. I would normally play a catapult/mad cat type, but I'm not sure what style I will enjoy most with this game. It's between the Atlas or Catapult for me and I'm not sure I like deciding before I get to play both.

Hard to say, with the match rewards and dollar-->currency info not yet available.

As for picking before you get to see, if you buy Elite, you can change your Founder's Mech choice. Gives you a chance to try out the beta and make the call.

Bizazedo

I have no idea which to pick. I initially picked Atlas since, in theory, that'd be the most expensive 'Mech to get anyways, but I think I'd be more effective with my style in something ligter.

No idea :(.

Mupod

I really wish you could choose the variant of the founder mechs. The C1 catapult just isn't doing it for me compared to the C4 or K2. It's not bad, and you CAN do a lot of fun stuff, just haven't had as much luck with it.

In terms of looks though the founder catapult is the best. I think Jenners are ugly as hell no matter what you do or else I would've went with that for my moneymaker. Plus the Raven will likely end up being my light mech of choice.

Lime

I just experienced an Aidan Pryde-like moment (insinuating spoilers for the Jade Phoenix trilogy incoming):

My team was decimated and we were two Catapults left against around 6 mechs, which included 1 Atlas, 4 Awesomes and 1 Hunchback. I dual-gaussed the first Awesome in the back with 20 gauss ammo remaining, then twisted to the left and saw an incoming Awesome over a ridge. I almost blindly fired against its center torso and accidentally hit it straight in the cockpit.

I rotated to the center of my torso and saw that in front of me came an Awesome with both arms intact, an Atlas firing at me, and an Awesome with its left arm missing: I skipped my crosshairs over the Awesome with arms and instead fired at the damaged Awesome, which then died after three Gauss rounds. Then my critically damaged teammate were harassed by one Hunchback and he lured it away from me, so that I could aim at its back. While the remaining Atlas and Awesome were firing at my now critically damaged Catapult, I used my second to last gauss ammo on the back of the Hunchback's back to kill it. 3 seconds afterwards my mech finally couldn't take anymore and died and we unfortunately ended up losing. So in a manner of 40 seconds or so I managed to get 4 kills and the opposing team only had 2 mechs left to win the round. Too bad it was a loss.

Woorloog

Banned
I just experienced an Aidan Pryde-like moment (insinuating spoilers for the Jade Phoenix trilogy incoming):

SNIP
Awesome! And i don't mean the mech. Too bad you didn't manage that feat with a ridiculously weak weapon but awesome nonetheless.

I have no idea which to pick. I initially picked Atlas since, in theory, that'd be the most expensive 'Mech to get anyways, but I think I'd be more effective with my style in something ligter.

No idea :(.

What kinda playstyle you like?

Sounds like you should take a Havy with some speed. Expensive doesn't mean better.
Baseline Dragon is relatively fast but weakly armed, with tweaking it could probably suit you.

Woorloog

Banned
Founder's Atlas video

Music continues to be atrocious. It sounds like something a media student cooked up in his room in 20 minutes.

It is rock fitting for mech battles. Like it.
That said, i hope we get music like MW4 too.

*Watched the video*

EDIT nice vid but Atlas is not my thing. Too slow for my tastes, ugly, and default weapons loadout is not something i like either.

Gimme a lot of LRM15-20s, Large Lasers and pulse lasers, and i'm happy.

Lime

It is rock fitting for mech battles. Like it.
That said, i hope we get music like MW4 too.

It's not the genre that is bothering me, it's the generic and uninspired tone & progression of the music. It sounds completely soulless and straight forward, while in comparison, Jeehun Wang's rock pieces in MW2: Mercs were much heavier, used percussion in much more interesting ways, and in general used the length of the song to form a coherent structure. This crap seems like it was spit out of a conveyor belt.

That said, I have always preferred Jeehun Wang's compositions (obviously) in the MW2 trilogy than whatever we got in MW4 and MW4: Mercs.

Woorloog

Banned
It's not the genre that is bothering me, it's the generic and uninspired tone & progression of the music. It sounds completely soulless and straight forward, while even Jeehun Wang's rock pieces in MW2: Mercs were much heavier, used percussion in a lot more interesting ways, and in general used the length of the song to form a coherent structure.

That said, I have always preferred Jeehun Wang's compositions (obviously) in the MW2 trilogy than whatever we got in MW4 and MW4: Mercs.

Not having played MW2 or MW3 i have no opinion about their musics.

Would've played MW3 when i still had joystick if the game had run on this laptop. Graphics issue, either caused by Catalyst drivers or Win Vista, i'm guessing.

I do agree that the music does sound kinda weak... the tune/melody/whatever (i do not understand music terms) itself is good, IMO.

Lime

Not having played MW2 or MW3 i have no opinion about their musics.

Would've played MW3 when i still had joystick if the game had run on this laptop. Graphics issue, either caused by Catalyst drivers or Win Vista, i'm guessing.

I do agree that the music does sound kinda weak... the tune/melody/whatever (i do not understand music terms) itself is good, IMO.

Damn, Woorlog, you really owe it to yourself to listen to all three MW2 soundtracks. They are some of the best video game soundtracks *ever* made (not meaning to sound hyperbolic). Once you get to play MW:O, try putting all three on repeat while playing. You won't regret it.

Or, you could play the old MW2 games to try out the actual experience with the music. :)

Woorloog

Banned
Damn, Woorlog, you really owe it to yourself to listen to all three MW2 soundtracks. They are some of the best video game soundtracks *ever* made (not meaning to sound hyperbolic). Once you get to play MW:O, try putting all three on repeat while playing. You won't regret it.

Or, you could play the old MW2 games to try out the actual experience with the music. :)

Tell me, can you actually run MW2 without any issues on Vista or newer windows? I really doubt it.
Also, not playing anything on PC before i get a new laptop/PC. This thing nearly overheats from mere browser use. Okay, that was hyperbole but gaming is out of question at the moment.

Oh, yeah, no joystick either.

I'll probably stick to listening the soundtracks from youtube someday.

epmode

Tell me, can you actually run MW2 without any issues on Vista or newer windows? I really doubt it.

I guess you've never used DOSBox. DOSBox is awesome.

How are you guys getting the older soundtracks in-game? A background music player or is there custom music support?

Woorloog

Banned

Of course i've used DOSBox. I asked if the game can be run without issues. DOSBox is an issue. And frigging sound configuring is so frigging annoying with the old stuff... I took me a lot of tries to get Dune's sound working. And that was after i had to figure out how to make DOSBox run CDs (ended up copying the CD's content to hard drive, solved that issue but costs extra space).

Gah, now you reminded me of the horrors of DOS. No nostalgia involved with that thing. No nostalgia involved with games of that era. Sticking with graphical UIs, thank you very much.

Riggs

Banned
So some advice was given about maybe purchasing a throttle from Saitek, the x52 and using the mouse.

Any other configs you guys would like to share? I just don't want to spend money in the $100 + range and regret it, it will simply be for this game. I know mouse and kb is most likely not good enough. All the past MW games I played w/ a sidewinder joystiq so at least that was something.

Any advice is appreciated thanks guys.

Orayn

There's really not much to configure. You've got three digital buttons, a 4-way POV hat, two rotary dials, and a linear slider. There's a ministick that isn't recognized as a set of axes by MWO.

Personally, I'd put turning on the smaller of the two rotary dials and "full stop" on the button in the middle of it. Vision modes, BattleGrid, and targeting could go on the POV hat, with jump jets and override shutdown on the other two buttons.

epmode

Of course i've used DOSBox. I asked if the game can be run without issues. DOSBox is an issue. And frigging sound configuring is so frigging annoying with the old stuff... I took me a lot of tries to get Dune's sound working. And that was after i had to figure out how to make DOSBox run CDs (ended up copying the CD's content to hard drive, solved that issue but costs extra space).

Gah, now you reminded me of the horrors of DOS. No nostalgia involved with that thing. No nostalgia involved with games of that era. Sticking with graphical UIs, thank you very much.
There are graphical frontends if you're into that. I won't say that DOSBox configurations are easy to create from scratch but I've found that you can reuse configuration data from similar games which saves a lot of time. I use my GOG stuff as a template!

Anyway, you wanted to know if MW2 runs without issue on a modern OS and it totally does. The initial configuration is another story. <3 SEMANTICS <3

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:MechWarrior_2

Orayn

Holy cow, I have never enjoyed playing as a sniper in video games, but PPCs have changed my mind. I officially have a new favorite setup.

Lime

How are you guys getting the older soundtracks in-game? A background music player or is there custom music support?

The original game CDs are in Redbook audio, meaning that the music is recognized as actual CD tracks. Simply rip them from your MW2 CDs and play them with your music player of choice. The tracks should be titled after the mission they are playing in.

It sounds like you are not used to tinkering with PCs or using command lines. Setting up Dosbox is incredibly easy (imo), but if you really want to avoid playing MW2, watch the intros:

MW2: Intro / Jade Falcon / Wolf intro
Ghost Bear's Legacy: Intro
Mercenaries: Intro

and then watch one of the missions from one of the games to get a grip on the feel of the music and gameplay. E.g. Mission 1 for Clan Wolf (Pyre Light) or Mission 1 for Clan Jade Falcon (Silent Thunder)

I still have basically no idea wtf I am doing. Damn this stuff is complex.

Check out the Guides on the MW:O Forums.

Top Bottom