• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/29 - 2/4

Draft

AniHawk said:
grimey.gif
Quoted for truth. Holy moly I bet that dudes copy of Blue Ocean has some sticky pages in it.

Draft

If you're a Japanese dev, why would you ever make anything but DS games? Like, seriously, what's the ****ing point? The only reason you'd ever make something that wasn't for the DS would be to take 5 or 6 DS games, compile them on a disc, and release that shit as a PS2 greatest hits title.

What a crazy damn market.

Draft said:
If you're a Japanese dev, why would you ever make anything but DS games?

The same reason Capcom always supports the underdog: starved markets will focus on individual quality titles and produce out-of-proportion positive sales due to the lack of competing titles.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Draft said:
If you're a Japanese dev, why would you ever make anything but DS games?

the penny hasn't dropped for Japanese devs yet

charlequin said:
The same reason Capcom always supports the underdog: starved markets will focus on individual quality titles and produce out-of-proportion positive sales due to the lack of competing titles.

sure, it makes total sense for Capcom to make PSP software. That console is shifting almost 2m units of software a year! That's a lot of pie for Capcom to harvest.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
charlequin said:

Regardless of how bad said games (MMX3+) actually are.

PantherLotus said:
The next 4 weeks won't bring much to help this either, as it is almost always a slow time of the year. March looms huge. It will be interesting to see how a small title like Cooking Mama, which will be lucky to hit 20k, go up against a larger title like VF5 -- and see if (and how) each effects the hardware sales for the week.

Concerning the Wii, I believe that the cardinal point is production capacity and not release of games. Nintendo said that they could product 2 millions of Wii (and perhaps 3 millions) between january 1st and march 31st. There are 13 weeks during this laps of time and also three regions (Japan, USA, Europe), and if all regions share the same amount per week, the results are 51 282 (for 2 millions) to 76 923 (for 3 millions) Wii per week. But probably, Europe will receive less Wii because PS3 don't reach Europe before the end of march...

Remember that there is a 0,81 millions of Wii from 2006 to be shipped too. But I think that they were shipped by january and principally in USA (Reggie said that NPD numbers for Wii will be great).

donny2112

Famitsu Jan 22-28

1. PS2 GTA: San Andreas 209974 / NEW
2. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 96496 / 1036076
3. NDS Sangokushi Taisen DS 83011 / NEW
4. NDS Picross DS 68329 / NEW
5. WII Wii Sports 63216 / 908457
6. NDS Hotel Dusk: Room 215 61336 / NEW
7. NDS Wario: The Seven 53830 / 141561
8. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 48783 / 4673647
9. PS2 Pachinko Winter Sonata 48106 / NEW
10. WII Wii Play 45255 / 786943
11. NDS Brain Training 2 35504 / 3957513
12. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 31552 / 4048011
13. NDS General Knowledge Training 31210 / 1119806
14. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 27650 / 3836890
15. 360 The Idolm@ster 25003 / NEW
16. PS2 Shining Force EXA 22835 / 102284
17. NDS Mega Man Star Force Pegasus/Leo/Dragon 21639 / 337416
18. PSP MGS: Portable Ops 18489 / 307756
19. NDS Mario Kart DS 17938 / 1904622
20. NDS English Training 17935 / 1619123
21. NDS Brain Training 16764 / 3097159
22. NDS Kanji Brain 15423 / 266784
23. NDS Hoshi no Kirby DS 14861 / 854130
24. PS2 Prince of Tennis: Doki-Doki Survival 14604 / NEW
25. PS3 Enchanted Arms 14417 / NEW
26. NDS Heisei Kyouiku Iinkai DS 14026 / 96438
27. NDS Love & Berry DS 13797 / 871962
28. WII Wario Ware: Smooth Moves 13690 / 307146
29. PSP Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) 13653 / 222548
30. PS2 .hack//G.U. Vol. 3 13651 / 137327

Nuclear Muffin said:
Can't believe how much Pokemon has dropped, WTF happened?

Yeah! It's only #8 on Famitsu for Jan 22-28 and should pass 5 million in a couple of months. What's up with that!?! It's dropping like a rock. :(

LOCK

I wonder how the Wii will affect Cooking Mama's sales.

I bet it will do better than the DS version.

ZeoVGM

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Regardless of how bad said games (MMX3+) actually are.

Uh, except MMX3 was in absolutely no way a "bad" game. Are you nuts?

In fact, X3 and X4 were both terrific games.

As was X8.

donny2112 said:
29. PSP Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) 13653 / 222548
I don't know how updated is this number but its from Famitsu...

PSP Monster Hunter Portable - 668,964

So adding them...891.512. Absolutely stunning for a PSP game...it may reach 1m in about 2 months. Maybe sooner if it peaks with MHP2 or later if the demand goes for MHP2 ingoring the first one.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
haha, Lapsed, what do you do?

You want a job in marketing?
I'm tempted to take your resume :lol

I really enjoyed your write up, thank you for that.

Bo130

PantherLotus said:
Significant Notes:
1. Wii has an 800k lead on PS3 in 10 weeks.
2. The PS3 has never been closer week-to-week with the Wii than 20k units, and 45k units this year.
3. The PS3 hasn't sold more than 76k units in one week since launch.
4. The Wii hasn't sold less than 65k units in one week since launch.
5. The PS3 just had its 6th consecutive week with lesser sales than the week before.
6. The Wii just had its 4th consecutive week with lesser sales than the week before.
7. The PS3 has never come closer than 28% market share.
8. The Wii hasn't lost market share since it went on sale.

These are great. Thank you :)

Btw, CyberConnect has announced that they have shipped more than 500.000 units between the 3 .hack//G.U games. I guess its not a bad idea to split a big game into 3 to cash some more money.

jarrod

Banned
Square2005 said:
Virtua Fighter - a filler game!?!?!

It's the most popular fighting serious in Japan!!
At this point, I'd say Smash Bros (Nintendo/HAL), Jump Stars (Nintendo/Ganbarion), DBZ Budokai (Bandai/Dimps), DBZ Sparking (Bandai/Spike), DBZ Bukuu Tougeki (Bandai/cavia), Naruto GNT (Tomy/8ing) and Naruto NH (Bandai/CC2) are all more popular fighting series.

pestul

I think even the worst haters were convinced PS3 would be selling out until at least March in every region.. this is downright awful.

Lapsed said:
Let's have another session with Blue Ocean Strategy:

Well, that came out of absolutely nowhere, but that was really interesting, thanks for that.
Personally, I must say that it's always almost shocking to be reminded that all those games, as innocent as they may look like, are nothing but a part of a huge, intricate strategy to dominate the market. And as you come back reality, you remember that gaming is nothing but a business after all.

jimbo

Banned
Wow I'm getting damn good with my predictions. I've been spot on for about 4 weeks straight now.

I expect a decrease next week once again except MAYBE the PS3 if VF5 does anything for it. Judging by first day sales, it won't do much. The most amazing thing is that if the PS3 continues this trend it will actually make the 360 a valid competitor in Japan by both selling pretty bad. Who would have thought it? I expect the Wii to drop the most once again. And the 360 to drop another thousand or so where it should stabilize until the next big release.

Predictions for next week:

Wii: 55k
PS3: 25k
Xbox 360: 5k

Does anyone know if anything significant is coming out for the 360 in Japan anytime soon(as in BD, LP, GOW type games)?

wazoo

Considering the Japan market state, it is good that Sony did put the BR in its console (considering the console is cheaper in Japan), otherwise it would have sold even worse.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hey jimbo, aren't you the guy that was talking about how the 360 could hit a million units in its lifetime in Japan, or was that some other guy? I seem to remember you going on and on and on about how "if it keeps up these 18k-a-week sales" something or another. Was that you?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
wazoo said:
Considering the Japan market state, it is good that Sony did put the BR in its console (considering the console is cheaper in Japan), otherwise it would have sold even worse.

Explain.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
wazoo said:

Take out the BR from the PlayStation 3 and the system probably retails for 10 trillion yen (about $100) less!

No BR = better sales

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
PantherLotus said:
Hey jimbo, aren't you the guy that was talking about how the 360 could hit a million units in its lifetime in Japan, or was that some other guy? I seem to remember you going on and on and on about how "if it keeps up these 18k-a-week sales" something or another. Was that you?

Could've been me, actually. I've been saying that before, too. However, over a period of three more years, I don't think it's totally out of the question for it to sell 1 million units.

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:

Yes, what I said was that it should hit 1 million LTD and surpass the Xbox's LTD by the end of the year. I said this a few weeks ahead of it actually becoming popular to say on GAF and I kept getting bashed for it. But it was never assuming 18k a week on a consistent basis. It was actually using 2k a week and another 100k over NOV+DEC. Right now it's actually ahead of my expectations. It may catch the xbox's LTD before even the holiday season.

Ngeist

jimbo said:
Does anyone know if anything significant is coming out for the 360 in Japan anytime soon(as in BD, LP, GOW type games)?

22/02 : Crackdown (Riot Act in Japan)
15/03 : Chromehounds (Platinum Edition)
22/03 : Armored Core 4
29/03 : Absolute Blazing Infinity
XX/03 : Bladestorm : The Hundred Years' War

charlequin said:

Yeah, that must be why they made about 3x as many games for PS2 as they did GC. In fact, I can't think of a single example of Capcom "supporting the underdog," other than the current case with the PSP(that is-- if you consider their barrage of ports and remakes "support"). They've always been most prominent on the most popular systems-- PS1, SNES, and NES.

The reasons they've published so much for PSP are

1) More traditional gaming audience
2) Good environment for cheap ports and remakes

It's as simple as that.

wazoo

PantherLotus said:

Am I wrong if I say that ps3 price in Japan is much lower than in the west to the point where japanese do not suffer the inclusion of the BR like we do (we have to pay 100E just for it) ??

Now considering they are not interested in the ps3 games, at least they have a very cheap HD BR player to buy.

wazoo

miguel_c_hammer said:
Yeah, that must be why they made about 3x as many games for PS2 as they did GC. In fact, I can't think of a single example of Capcom "supporting the underdog," other than the current case with the PSP(that is-- if you consider their barrage of ports and remakes "support"). They've always been most prominent on the most popular systems-- PS1, SNES, and NES.

It's as simple as that.

supporting the underdog does not mean you support less the leader.

They supported the DC as well.

wazoo said:
Am I wrong if I say that ps3 price in Japan is much lower than in the west to the point where japanese do not suffer the inclusion of the BR like we do (we have to pay 100E just for it) ??

Now considering they are not interested in the ps3 games, at least they have a very cheap HD BR player to buy.
That the Japanese price is lower doesn't mean it disregards the inclusion. Without Blu-ray it would've been significantly cheaper yet. It could've been the same launch price as PS2 and be causing fewer losses to Sony per unit.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JoshuaJSlone said:
That the Japanese price is lower doesn't mean it disregards the inclusion. Without Blu-ray it would've been significantly cheaper yet. It could've been the same launch price as PS2 and be causing fewer losses to Sony per unit.

You said it better than I could have. I would venture to say that the PS3 would already have a million-unit lead on the Wii if it was a black version of the 360 (with no Blue Ray).

Terrell

miguel_c_hammer said:

The reasons they've published so much for PSP are

1) More traditional gaming audience
2) Good environment for cheap ports and remakes

It's as simple as that.
I think you neglect that they initially support the underdog, the sales go sour, the console tanks in market share and they go make to producing massive amounts of games for the market leader. Saturn support, DC support, the "Capcom 5" on GC when DC didn't pan out... I'm still waiting for them to start throwing their weight behind DS now that their deathly touch of the PSP has been confirmed.

Neomoto

... You know things are bad when software sales are actually WORSE than PSP's.

:lol

And unfortuantly, it's been that way since the console released.. And hardware sales arn't exactly great to say the least. Ofcourse, there is still time to get their act together, but I doubt they'll be marketleader again (worldwide even). They had a good run though (well, before PSP and PS3) ;)

verplant

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't know how updated is this number but its from Famitsu...

PSP Monster Hunter Portable - 668,964

So adding them...891.512. Absolutely stunning for a PSP game...it may reach 1m in about 2 months. Maybe sooner if it peaks with MHP2 or later if the demand goes for MHP2 ingoring the first one.

668,964 is though 2006/12/31... but I don't think its much higher now since budget version is out.

NintendosBooger said:
What myth? There haven't been enough generations to even substantiate it.

2 going on 3 generations. It's not exactly down to a science, but it certainly shows signs of a trend.

3rd Console Curse, some folks call it.

bloke said:
more correctly from http://blog.livedoor.jp/neoplay/

PS3 VF5 ~32k 37%
DS Luminous Arc ~19k 49%
DS Jet Impulse ~2.4k 12%
PS2 Outrun2SP ~2.9k 32%
PSP MOH:H ~3.5k 26%

Oh man, Japan is really rejecting the next-gen completely. Ok that the PS3 is selling at 400$ in Japan, but after 21 millions PS2, it is just unbelievable that people over there have changed flag like that in just 2 years.

I'll repeat even if I'll burn in the hell: Sony has to low this damned price, because they're killing the section of interactive entertainment and overall one of the most powerful brands in the world. It odesn't matter if they'll lose more money: now the most important thing is to build-up a great userbase to be sure that games will sell at least decently on it. Sony's electronics- & Sony-Ericcson's sections are now profitable and they can use them to absorbe the losses of PS3 without problems. I know that it would be even more dangerous then actual's situations to sell the PS3 with wider losses, but they have no choice in my opinion.

It will very difficult to reach the gamers audience if you lose it like that, because the brand's power goes down, like Nintendo and the N64-GC and tehre is even more to say: PS3's games are coming out slow, haven't you notice it ? That's because, like N64's days, it more difficult and expensive to develop games for the machine and trust me when I say that we'll see a lot of delays and only a limited amount of blockbusters coming out in a single year.

I know that they still think that the PS3 is a console that will remain in the market for 10 years, but the start is very important to build-up a good reputation and with all that bad press, this price and the lack of killer-apps, then it will be almost impossible to catch up the Wii (Remember: I'm speking about Japan).

I have never seen a console that sells bad in the first one year and then with a miracle becomes the market leader. It could boost his sales, yeah, but if Sony loses this moment, they'll regret if forever.

Top Bottom