• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/29 - 2/4

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sphinx said:
According to one source I am seeing,

Virtua Fighter 4 arrived on January 31st 2002 in Japan

as a curious piece of info, can someone with media create data provide us with the amount of units the game sold in its launch week?

I am aware that PS2 was somewhere near its second year in the market but like I said, it's only a curiosity.

thanks anyone who replies this message.
According to Famitsu its debut was over 350K:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/~NOV/d689.html

ethelred

sphinx said:
thanks. Nice interesting.

now, if we can get the LTD sales up until that week for the PS2, we could know what % of the install base bought the game.

that could be some indication of the things to come next week. (sort of)

The PS2 was up to 7,020,883 at the week of 28/01/02.

sphinx

the piano man
according to my math, 5 % of the PS2 install base bought VF4 on on launch week.

if we have a total of 612,861 install base on the PS3,

how much is 5% ??

30,643 units....

is that low?? I probably messed up my calculations anyway...

EDIT:

Going by this method which is only for fun and in no way should resemble the truth come next week, i'd say it is hard for the game to get anything above 100K, probably 80k is still high...

it should reach the top 10, my guess is anything between 6 and 10 with something around 30k - 50k.

That is too low. The PS3 is not selling to the same crowd in Japan as the PS2 was and most likely it is selling to the VF5 crowd. It'll likely do at least 100,000 launch week.

Link

The Autumn Wind
EphemeralDream said:
That is too low. The PS3 is not selling to the same crowd in Japan as the PS2 was and most likely it is selling to the VF5 crowd. It'll likely do at least 100,000 launch week.
I'd love to hear the reasoning for this logic.

sphinx

the piano man
EphemeralDream said:

that would be great news for the game, the PS3 and sony.

I do wish it performs properly.

Argh, almost forgot. Guess what's on my list of things to do this week.

mediacreate20070208.gif

sphinx

the piano man
Cheesemeister said:
Argh, almost forgot. Guess what's on my list of things to do this week.

mediacreate20070208.gif

yeah, do as CVXfreak says in the post under this one :D , It can be a little misleading.

vitaflo

Link said:

Because there's little else to play and 600k+ PS3 owners are itching for something good.

It'll be more thank 30k. You can't exactly go off VF4 to extrapolate numbers on VF5 because on a mature system with a good selection of games the tie ratio for a single game is going to be lower than one at launch when there are less games to choose from.

D3VI0US

AdmiralViscen said:
Sony isn't dependent on any one region.

Sony has already lost footing in every region with that price. Throw in established competition and a lack of great software and it's just a question of how much marketshare are you willing to lose? If the hardware wasn't all hype Sony will pull ahead eventually but it's days of market dominance are over. Right now every region is in question because of that price. There is the realistic possibility of them coming in last as well with devs and pubs losing confidence every day.

Link

The Autumn Wind
vitaflo said:
Because there's little else to play and 600k+ PS3 owners are itching for something good.

It'll be more thank 30k. You can't exactly go off VF4 to extrapolate numbers on VF5 because on a mature system with a good selection of games the tie ratio for a single game is going to be lower than one at launch when there are less games to choose from.
I was just curious as to why exactly the PS3 is selling to "the VF5 crowd."

I'm not saying it's impossible for VF5 to sell well.

Link said:

My logic? Well I believe the top PS3 game has done over 100k and that was with a smaller userbase. That title was a Gundam game and VF5 carries more weight there. Also while PS3 was selling to a mixed crowd at first, most likely it is hardcore gamers still picking it up in Japan similar to 360 buyers. The "VF5 crowd" thing was worded badly but that is part of the hardcore crowd that is still picking up PS3s in Japan. I shouldn't have offered my prediction and I'm not usually the type to do so, but 30k is definitely too low. Gears of War did over 30k and that was on the 360 with a smaller userbase.

sphinx

the piano man
EphemeralDream said:
My logic? Well I believe the top PS3 game has done over 100k and that was with a smaller userbase. That title was a Gundam game and VF5 carries more weight there. Also while PS3 was selling to a mixed crowd at first, most likely it is hardcore gamers still picking it up in Japan similar to 360 buyers. The "VF5 crowd" thing was worded badly but that is part of the hardcore crowd that is still picking up PS3s in Japan. I shouldn't have offered my prediction and I'm not usually the type to do so, but 30k is definitely too low. Gears of War did over 30k and that was on the 360 with a smaller userbase.

that's true.

mmhh..

I predict then 50k to 80k.

Square2005 said:
In contrast to the U.S. where sales almost always see an increase in February over January...
...and I've never understood why that is... Valentine's Day effect!?
I guess I've just assumed most everyone is still spent from November and December. The farther away we get, the more things pick up. February is a pretty minor increase over January, though, right?

Cheesemeister said:
At GCN's current rate, if PS2 stops selling, GCN catches up in 52,665.75 weeks: June 14, 3016. It's worth noting that Media Create and Famitsu differ by several decades on this matter; Famitsu has them meeting July 10, 3064.

cvxfreak

Christopher said:
wait what cvx are you just going to go down like this? It just feels weird without you :(

It's okay. I always rushed to make sure nothing would get translated wrong (that, and everyone craves numbers). It's in good hands, trust me. :)

AniHawk

Well well well. It looks like the mighty have fallen. Sales don't drop off by 18k (or 50k!) in a week unless something is seriously wrong. And where there's smoke... there's fire.

AniHawk said:
Well well well. It looks like the mighty have fallen. Sales don't drop off by 18k (or 50k!) in a week unless something is seriously wrong. And where there's smoke... there's fire.

Yeah, they've these celebratory bonfires at the back of Nintendo HQ day in, day out. it's gotten so freaking massive the smoke has even reached Singapore.

Or maybe it was just the haze.

ethelred

AniHawk said:

It's been pretty obvious now for a while that the Wii was just riding off the novelty of the controller, and as soon as that wore off after the Christmas rush, the thing would start to crash.

Why is anyone surprised by this?

ZeoVGM

Banned
ethelred said:
Also, GC + GC Turbo.

It hasn't been funny since September.

ethelred said:
It's been pretty obvious now for a while that the Wii was just riding off the novelty of the controller, and as soon as that wore off after the Christmas rush, the thing would start to crash.

Why is anyone surprised by this?

Please tell me you were just being sarcastic.

AniHawk

Exactly. And then you have the DS. Its sales are finally slowing down because it's catching up to the GBA's LTD.

AniHawk said:
Nintendo
They had a good run.

Continuing at this rate of decline, the PS3 will start outselling the Wii during the week of 2/19 - 2/25. Returns of the Wii in the thousands to follow the week after.

fallout

AniHawk said:
Pretty soon, your posts are just going to be:

Nintendo doomed, etc.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This Week Sales:
mc-sales-070129.jpg

Sales History:
mc-sales-history.gif

Since 11/27/07 - 10 total weeks:
360 - 2nd lowest week. Consistently Insignificant (TM) - following the 7k trend. Next Gen Avg = 13,849. Post Holiday Avg = 7,393.
Wii - lowest week ever. This week lower than the trend. Next Gen Avg = 144,457. Post Holiday Avg = 82,399.
PS3 - lowest week ever. Very consistent sales. Next Gen Avg = 45,646. Post Holiday Avg = 21,340.

mc-LTDs-10.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
The 360's sales are so insignificant that their inclusion in the data tracking is almost insulting. At this point it's just a 3rd color on the chart and should never, ever be regarded as more than such. <---I'm not going to change this paragraph until 360 sales go above 30k for a week. (4th week)

The PS3 finally crossed the 600k barrier after 10 weeks. Even after a very bad week for the Wii (considering), the PS3 was still outsold 3.5-1 for the week and has been outsold 4x as much since the post-holiday season began (82k avg/21k avg = 3.86x). The PS3 is also now 800k units behind in only 10 weeks. VF5 will not make nearly as large of an impact as some are hoping, but should still increase hw sales up to around 30k for the week. We need titles, and we need them now.

The Wii definitely had a down week (down by almost 20k), and still outsold the PS3 3.5x. The next 4 weeks won't bring much to help this either, as it is almost always a slow time of the year. March looms huge. It will be interesting to see how a small title like Cooking Mama, which will be lucky to hit 20k, go up against a larger title like VF5 -- and see if (and how) each effects the hardware sales for the week.

Expectations for 02/05-02/12
360 - 7k
Wii - 65k <--- I am expecting a lower average for the next month
PS3 - 29k <--- VF5 will bump it up one week, but it will sink back down the following week.

This Week's Market Share:
mc-marketshare-070129.jpg

Market Share History:
mc-marketshare-history.gif

Code:
[B][U]Date____               360             Wii             PS3[/U][/B]
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
01/22-01/28:            13%             60%             26%
[B]01/29-02/04:            13%             61%             26%[/B]

Significant Notes:
1. Wii has an 800k lead on PS3 in 10 weeks.
2. The PS3 has never been closer week-to-week with the Wii than 20k units, and 45k units this year.
3. The PS3 hasn't sold more than 76k units in one week since launch.
4. The Wii hasn't sold less than 65k units in one week since launch.
5. The PS3 just had its 6th consecutive week with lesser sales than the week before.
6. The Wii just had its 4th consecutive week with lesser sales than the week before.
7. The PS3 has never come closer than 28% market share.
8. The Wii hasn't lost market share since it went on sale.

Ynos Yrros said:
When will the HW numbers roll out? Here's my market estimation*:

1. DS - 87 000
2. Wii - 64 000
3. PS2 - 32 000
4. PSP - 31 000
5. PS3 - 15 000
6. XBox 360 - 7 000

based on actual movement of noodles in a turning cup

Wow, noodles almost never lie.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
I think we're going to see lower HW numbers this week guys, but the complete rejection of consoles > $300 will continue.

Wii - 75-80k
PS3 - 15-19k
360 - 5-7k

Well I knew we were down, but I didn't know it would be by that much. Interesting note is that it was almost all Nintendo selling less, while the other two sold very consistently with their post-holiday average. Is it shortages? Who knows. DQS is coming. That will be huge.

Pud

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Well I knew we were down, but I didn't know it would be by that much. Interesting note is that it was almost all Nintendo selling less, while the other two sold very consistently with their post-holiday average. Is it shortages? Who knows. DQS is coming. That will be huge.

If some of the thread posters living in Japan are to be believed, then Nintendo is still facing massive shortages of the hardware (i.e. they've sold everything they've shipped). What I'd conjure that means is that either they are reallocating shipments more - like sending more the NA - or building up a small bit of stock for certain big game releases? :D

justchris

Pud said:
If some of the thread posters living in Japan are to be believed, then Nintendo is still facing massive shortages of the hardware (i.e. they've sold everything they've shipped). What I'd conjure that means is that either they are reallocating shipments more - like sending more the NA - or building up a small bit of stock for certain big game releases? :D

Maybe their goal is to sell more in the earlier weeks of the month, then the last week of the month gets whatever shipment is left?

Lapsed

Banned
Let's have another session with Blue Ocean Strategy:

Blue Ocean Strategy said:
No company wants to venture beyond red oceans only to find itself in a puddle. The question is, "How do you maximize the size of the blue ocean you are creating?" This brings us to the third principle of blue ocean strategy: Reach beyond existing demand. This is a key component of achieving value innovation. By aggregating the greatest demand for a new offering, this approach attenuates the scale risk associated with creating a new market.

To achieve this, companies should challenge two conventional strategy practices. One is the focus on existing customers. The other is the drive for finer segmentation to accommodate buyer differences. Typically, to grow their share of a market, companies strive to retain and expand existing customers. This often leads to finer segmentation and greater tailoring of offerings to better meet customer preferences. The more intense the competition is, the greater, on average, is the resulting customization of offerings. As companies compete to embrace customer preferences through finer segmentation, they often risk creating too-small target markets.

To maximize the size of their blue oceans, companies need to take a reverse course. Instead of concentrating on customers, they need to look to noncustomers. And instead of focusing on customer differences, they need to build on powerful commonalities in what buyers value. That allows companies to reach beyond existing demand to unlock a new mass of customers that did not exist before.

Wrongly, Nintendo's strategy is summed up with making a few games to keep the Nintendo fans happy (the Marios and Zelda) while focusing on non-gamers. Actually, this is what Sony's strategy closest resembles where they make some games for the hardcore (like God of War) and games for casuals (Singstar or the rubber duckies). Blue Ocean Strategy is focused on building commonality, not segmentation.

We have been using only one term for noncustomers: just "non-gamers". It's time for that to change...

Tier One: Soon-To-Be Customers

Although the universe of noncustomers typically offers big blue ocean opportunities, few companies have keen insight into who noncustomers are and how to unlock them. To convert this huge latent demand into real demand in the form of thriving new customers, companies needs to deepen their understanding of the universe of noncustomers.

There are three tiers of noncustomers that can be transformed into customers. They differ in their relative distance from your market. As depicted in figure 5-1, the first tier of noncustomers is closest to your market. They sit on the edge of the market. They are buyers who minimally purchase an industry's offering out of necessity but are mentally noncustomers of the industry. They are waiting to jump ship and leave the industry as soon as the opportunity presents itself. However, if offered a leap in value, not only would they stay; but also their frequency of purchases would multiply, unlocking enormous latent demand.
These soon-to-be noncustomers are those who minimally use the current market offerings to get by as they search for something better. Upon finding any better alternative, they will eagerly jump ship. In this sense, they sit on the edge of the market. A market becomes stagnant and develops a growth problem as the number of soon-to-be noncustomers increases. Yet locked within these first-tier noncustomers is an ocean of untapped demand waiting to be released.
What are the key reasons first-tier noncustomers want to jump ship and leave your industry? Look for the commonalities across their responses. Focus on these, and not on the differences between them. You will glean insight into how to desegment buyers and unleash an ocean of latent untapped demand.

The graphic shown in Blue Ocean Strategy is the first tier on the edge of the first circle, with an outer circle for tier two and another outer circle for tier three. It looks like rings within rings with the traditional market being a small circle in the center.

So who qualifies as the first tier for video games? These are people who WANT to play but, for some reason, they can't. This is either because changes are occuring in real life which means they no longer have the time or they are finding games boring. Tier One are people who are about to leave gaming or have essentially left.

These are the lapsed gamers and casual gamers. Bored gamers are on the edge of the market. They are in danger of becoming lapsed. Casual gamers have the problem that games kept getting increasingly complex and time consuming.

All it takes is a leap of value and these 'soon-to-be' noncustomers become tomorrow's early adopters (such as the launch of Wii or DS Lite). These noncustomers are the easiest to 'tap'.

Using the DS as example for illustrating the tier system, there are several DS games that hit the nail on the head for casual/lapsed gamers.

NewSuperMarioBrothers.jpg

Gamers who started with the 8-bit or 16-bit generation started with 2d Mario. Nintendo has not made a new 2d Mario game in fifteen years. New Super Mario Brothers shot up in sales because of these tier one noncustomers. Casual gamers love NSMB as well. When I saw NSMB at E3 2005, I ran out and bought a DS (such is the pull of 2d Mario).

250px-Yoshi%27sIslandDScover.PNG

This is an interesting example. Yoshi's Island DS sold more than it should last holiday with no major marketing or anything surrounding it. Much of the drive of people who bought Yoshi's Island DS were from those who loved the original on the SNES (released fifteen years ago).

230px-MKDSbox.jpg

Mario Kart DS was designed specifically against the SNES version of Super Mario Kart. Why did Nintendo choose the SNES version as the metric for the Mario Kart DS? The N64 and Gamecube Mario Karts sold extremely well so why use the SNES version? If Nintendo did not use the SNES version, it would have segmented the tier one noncustomers. Focusing on delivering a successor to the fifteen year old title, rather than the three year old Mario Kart DD, Nintendo was able to create demand for Mario Kart DS along the Tier One non-customers.

Tier Two: The Refusing Customers

The second tier of noncustomers is people who refuse to use your industry's offerings. These are buyers who have seen your industry's offerings as an option to fulfill their needs but have voted against them. In the Callaway case, for example, these were sports enthusiasts, especially the country club tennis set, who could have chosen golf but had consiously chosen against it.
These are refusing noncustomers, people who either do not use or cannot afford to use the current market offerings because they find the offerings unacceptable or beyond their means. Their needs are either dealt with by other means or ignored. Harboring within refusing noncustomers, however, is an ocean of untapped demand waiting to be released.

This tier consists of those the industry WANTS and has TRIED to get but these noncustomers refuse to join in. Who does this qualify for video games? Females. The games industry has been targeting females intensely but, aside from the Sims and Myst, females do not adopt gaming in mass. Two games were able to pull in the tier two noncustomers:

box.jpg

When Nintendogs was released, it suddenly boosted DS sales above the PSP. Obviously, Nintendogs unlocked a new demand. Pink DSes were bundled with Nintendogs, and they kept selling out everywhere. Nintendogs is one of the biggest selling games of recent time which shows how huge tier two is.

250px-Animalcrossingdscover.jpg

Animal Crossing DS, when released, created a sensation in Japan which triggered the DS sell-outs. Why didn't Animal Crossing do this for Gamecube? I have no idea. But no one can ignore the sales of Animal Crossing DS as it outsold traditional Japanese RPGs. The traditional Japanese rpg gaming audience is clearly outnumbered by tier two of noncustomers.

Tier Three: Unexplored Customers

The third tier of noncustomers is farthest from your market. They are noncustomers who have never thought of your market's offerings as an option. By focusing on key commonalities across these noncustomers and existing customers, companies can understand how to pull them into their new market.
The third tier of noncustomers is the farthest away from an industry's existing customers. Typically, these unexplored noncustomers have not been targeted or thought of as potential customers by any player in the industry. That's because their needs and the business opportunities associated with them have somehow always been assumed to belong to other markets.

It would drive many companies crazy to know how many third-tier noncustomers they are forfeiting. Just think of the long-held assumption that tooth whitening was a service provided exclusively by dentists and not by oral care consumer-product companies. Consequently, oral care companies, until recently, never looked at the needs of these noncustomers. When they did, they found an ocean of latent demand waiting to be tapped; they also found that they had the capability to deliver safe high-quality low-cost tooth withening solutions, and the market exploded.

In video games, who were the people that the industry thought would NEVER buy their games? The old people. Everyone in the gaming industry thought old people would never be reached with video games, so they were never explored.

200px-NDS_BrainTrainingForAdults.jpg

Brain Age is a good example of how Nintendo reached tier 3.

So what about the Wii? I believe Twilight Princess has reached Tier One (which explains its explosive sales in the West). Wii Sports is the big question. It has definately reached Tier Two but has it reached Tier Three? Either way, Wii Sports eruption can be seen in Japanese sales and in the Wii sales everywhere else (especially with all the multiple controller sales).

What unexplored noncustomers will Nintendo aim at next? I believe there is a huge potential for the business office (Wii appearing in offices? You better believe it. Wii Sports has pushed the system somewhat there but more software can push it further). Health games are also another major unexplored noncustomer base that Nintendo could aim at.

AniHawk

Lapsed said:
Let's have another session with Blue Ocean Strategy:

Wrongly, Nintendo's strategy is summed up with making a few games to keep the Nintendo fans happy (the Marios and Zelda) while focusing on non-gamers. Actually, this is what Sony's strategy closest resembles where they make some games for the hardcore (like God of War) and games for casuals (Singstar or the rubber duckies). Blue Ocean Strategy is focused on building commonality, not segmentation.

We have been using only one term for noncustomers: just "non-gamers". It's time for that to change...

The graphic shown in Blue Ocean Strategy is the first tier on the edge of the first circle, with an outer circle for tier two and another outer circle for tier three. It looks like rings within rings with the traditional market being a small circle in the center.

So who qualifies as the first tier for video games? These are people who WANT to play but, for some reason, they can't. This is either because changes are occuring in real life which means they no longer have the time or they are finding games boring. Tier One are people who are about to leave gaming or have essentially left.

These are the lapsed gamers and casual gamers. Bored gamers are on the edge of the market. They are in danger of becoming lapsed. Casual gamers have the problem that games kept getting increasingly complex and time consuming.

All it takes is a leap of value and these 'soon-to-be' noncustomers become tomorrow's early adopters (such as the launch of Wii or DS Lite). These noncustomers are the easiest to 'tap'.

Using the DS as example for illustrating the tier system, there are several DS games that hit the nail on the head for casual/lapsed gamers.

NewSuperMarioBrothers.jpg

Gamers who started with the 8-bit or 16-bit generation started with 2d Mario. Nintendo has not made a new 2d Mario game in fifteen years. New Super Mario Brothers shot up in sales because of these tier one noncustomers. Casual gamers love NSMB as well. When I saw NSMB at E3 2005, I ran out and bought a DS (such is the pull of 2d Mario).

250px-Yoshi%27sIslandDScover.PNG

This is an interesting example. Yoshi's Island DS sold more than it should last holiday with no major marketing or anything surrounding it. Much of the drive of people who bought Yoshi's Island DS were from those who loved the original on the SNES (released fifteen years ago).

230px-MKDSbox.jpg

Mario Kart DS was designed specifically against the SNES version of Super Mario Kart. Why did Nintendo choose the SNES version as the metric for the Mario Kart DS? The N64 and Gamecube Mario Karts sold extremely well so why use the SNES version? If Nintendo did not use the SNES version, it would have segmented the tier one noncustomers. Focusing on delivering a successor to the fifteen year old title, rather than the three year old Mario Kart DD, Nintendo was able to create demand for Mario Kart DS along the Tier One non-customers.

This tier consists of those the industry WANTS and has TRIED to get but these noncustomers refuse to join in. Who does this qualify for video games? Females. The games industry has been targeting females intensely but, aside from the Sims and Myst, females do not adopt gaming in mass. Two games were able to pull in the tier two noncustomers:

box.jpg

When Nintendogs was released, it suddenly boosted DS sales above the PSP. Obviously, Nintendogs unlocked a new demand. Pink DSes were bundled with Nintendogs, and they kept selling out everywhere. Nintendogs is one of the biggest selling games of recent time which shows how huge tier two is.

250px-Animalcrossingdscover.jpg

Animal Crossing DS, when released, created a sensation in Japan which triggered the DS sell-outs. Why didn't Animal Crossing do this for Gamecube? I have no idea. But no one can ignore the sales of Animal Crossing DS as it outsold traditional Japanese RPGs. The traditional Japanese rpg gaming audience is clearly outnumbered by tier two of noncustomers.

In video games, who were the people that the industry thought would NEVER buy their games? The old people. Everyone in the gaming industry thought old people would never be reached with video games, so they were never explored.

200px-NDS_BrainTrainingForAdults.jpg

Brain Age is a good example of how Nintendo reached tier 3.

So what about the Wii? I believe Twilight Princess has reached Tier One (which explains its explosive sales in the West). Wii Sports is the big question. It has definately reached Tier Two but has it reached Tier Three? Either way, Wii Sports eruption can be seen in Japanese sales and in the Wii sales everywhere else (especially with all the multiple controller sales).

What unexplored noncustomers will Nintendo aim at next? I believe there is a huge potential for the business office (Wii appearing in offices? You better believe it. Wii Sports has pushed the system somewhat there but more software can push it further). Health games are also another major unexplored noncustomer base that Nintendo could aim at.
grimey.gif

Er...I don't know what to say at this point...

I guess next-gen sweet spot is 30k. They are always the same people buying next-gen games, no matter what game...next-gen games = 30k

:lol

Top Bottom