• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/27 - 11/02

nli10

zoku88 said:
I wonder why Canvas Curse gets no love, it's my favorite Kirby game...

My guess is that it's so dissimilar to standard kirby games, but that is why I loved it so (and 100%ed it in Japanese :D)

Will get the new one too tho. Wonder if it could join the 2 million club?!

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
If one was trying to match up with NPD months as closely as possible, one would probably include the week of December 31, 2007 - January 6, 2008 as a week in December, which would add another 200+K week to Wii last year, and would match pretty well with the 200K/900K numbers you mention.

I try to match up to NPD months when calculating Japanese monthly sales, since then they can be directly combined, and I believe that was the chart Minsc was referring to.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Spiegel said:
I don't see people in that thread saying: "LBP is going to be a PHENOMENON in Japan". I quit after page 3 so maybe there are someone.

But it seems like you have something personal against people having good expectations for the game.

I'm not trying to be a dick. Out of all they hyped up PS3 saviors, LBP is the one that interests me the most. I have little issue with the people that go "omg the DEFINING game of the generation!" or "the most creative and original game in the history of gaming!". Afterall, opinions and all that. What I have LESS tolerance for however, is when people make predictions about things, things that can actually be measured without taking into account history, current market trends, or really anything based in reality.

So now LBP was never meant to be a success in Japan, and it was specifically geared to the Western Audiences the whole time (which is hilarious if you think about what people usually think of as "western"). Fine. Guess we'll just wait to see what new damage control awaits us at next month's NPD.

If LBP were a Nintendo game, we all know everyone would be expecting it to launch on par with their other best-selling releases. :lol You Sony fans are something else!

swerve

NintendosBooger said:
If LBP were a Nintendo game, we all know everyone would be expecting it to launch on par with their other best-selling releases. :lol You Sony fans are something else!

This makes no sense.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just realized, no good first day numbers? Ah well. Second week numbers for a lot of titles should be good next week. And Wii Music will possibly start showing signs of where it will level off.

Any predictions on hardware PantherLotus?

I'll throw some out for boredom and :lol (this assumes no big releases hitting next week)

Minsc HW Predictions said:
NDS 140.000
PSP 40.000
PS3 20.000
WII 25.000
PS2 6.800
360 6.500

And some software for extra kicks:

Minsc SW Predictions said:
PS3 - Grand Theft Auto IV - 25.000
PS3 - LittleBigPlanet - 17.000
360 - Grand Theft Auto IV - 8.000
Wii - Wii Music - 18.000

donny2112

Minsc said:
(this assumes no big releases hitting next week)

See toypop's previous post about Gears 2. Also, the 360 bundle came out this week. >10K for 360 is pretty certain. PS3 should still beat it, though.

DS - 120K
PSP - 45K
WII - 23K
PS3 - 20K
360 - 13K
PS2 - 7K

Publisher breakdown for the NDS. (not complete data)

Total number of games: 596
Total number of units: 103.632.743
Average: 173.880

Code:
[B][U]Top10 Publisher NDS:[/U][/B]
Titles	Publisher		Units

93x	Nintendo		63.382.246
27x	Square Enix		8.453.100
59x	Bandai Namco		7.276.770
35x	Sega			3.583.102
57x	Konami			3.228.235
24x	Capcom			2.823.572
3x	Level 5			1.832.559
15x	IE Institute		1.474.937
20x	Marvelous Int.		1.228.593
7x	Rocket Comp.		1.084.894

I'll post a breakdown for other systems if you wan't.

NintendosBooger said:
Are you, are you dense? It's a western developed game, there were no expectations for this game. The only western games that do better than this are the Ratchet games for PS2.

-Kh-

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Wow, it's like we've entered Opposite land. No Wii games in the top 10 and PS3 with both the top game and outselling Wii?

Well, with 7 new great releases this week, and those 3 strong DS titles, it is not surprise really.

But before saying that we have entered the land of the opposite, you should wait until next week and see how the second weeks come by, plus new releases, etc.

Oblivion said:
I'm not trying to be a dick. Out of all they hyped up PS3 saviors, LBP is the one that interests me the most. I have little issue with the people that go "omg the DEFINING game of the generation!" or "the most creative and original game in the history of gaming!". Afterall, opinions and all that. What I have LESS tolerance for however, is when people make predictions about things, things that can actually be measured without taking into account history, current market trends, or really anything based in reality.

So now LBP was never meant to be a success in Japan, and it was specifically geared to the Western Audiences the whole time (which is hilarious if you think about what people usually think of as "western"). Fine. Guess we'll just wait to see what new damage control awaits us at next month's NPD.

next month's NPD will not be a good measure of LBP's success, especially with the delay.

If it breaks 200k during October NPD's, I think we can safely say that it was a decent success, as November numbers should be much greater even if it doesn't place in the top 10 in either month.

Ratchet sold like....70k or something in its first month? And it had more than a week of sales for the NPD.

typhonsentra said:
Wow, it's like we've entered Opposite land. No Wii games in the top 10 and PS3 with both the top game and outselling Wii?

Wait a bit.

Bad news for Wii is about as transitory as good news for PS3.

typhonsentra said:

Just wait for next week and you'll return to Nevernever-Reality land.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Private Hoffman said:
next month's NPD will not be a good measure of LBP's success, especially with the delay.

I'm referring to November's NPD (which we'll get in Dec.). That should be plenty of time to get a nice figure of how it's doing.

And 200k for October? Yeah...I wouldn't count on it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
typhonsentra said:
Are you, are you dense? It's a western developed game, there were no expectations for this game. The only western games that do better than this are the Ratchet games for PS2.

01. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV (Capcom) 133,000 / NEW

(just sayin')

sphinx

the piano man
SNSD-avatar2.gif

where can I get the gif with the rest of the girls?? can't fnd it anywhere.

Cygnus X-1

Laguna said:
Wasn´t today a (fanboy)thread about Nintendo beeing in trouble (again)?

NDS is really a monster hardware and software-wise.

Nintendo in troubles? Actually, I do think that Nintendo is immune to the recession.

typhonsentra said:

This is a pretty strong week for PS3 though. GTA is actually really quite big over in Japan, and LBP would have been partly responsible for the hardware increase as well. Wii had, well, nothing really.

The thing is that Wii will maintain its consistent sales while PS3 will very likely fall back again into its sub 10K obscurity in a couple weeks time. It has yet to maintain strong sales for an extended period of time.

Rolf NB

_Alkaline_ said:
This is a pretty strong week for PS3 though. GTA is actually really quite big over in Japan, and LBP would have been partly responsible for the hardware increase as well. Wii had, well, nothing really.

The thing is that Wii will maintain its consistent sales while PS3 will very likely fall back again into its sub 10K obscurity in a couple weeks time. It has yet to maintain strong sales for an extended period of time.
It's November. It'll stay above 10k for the rest of the year. Next year, after the holiday sales inflation, who knows.

Rock_Man

Estimations of tie ratios in Japan

Xb360 peaked in the beginning of September and has fallen since then.

famitsu-ps3wiix360-tie-081026.png

PSP tie ratio is decreasing again with the release of the new model.

famitsu-dspsp-tie-081026.png

Last week is not included in these graphs.

Rock_Man

The week of PSP 3000 launch, PSP had its largest hardware sales share against DS ever. PSP sold 4.52 times better than DS, compared to 3.99 in the launch week of PSP 2000:

famitsu-dspsp-081026.png

And the 360 continues to eat hardware sales shares (last week not included):

famitsu-ps3x360-081026.png

-Kh-

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
True, I forgot that we are entering the holiday season. :lol

Have to remind you that there are 3 more big titles coming out in the following month and a half that might as well keep the PS3 hovering around the 20k mark during the less busy holiday weeks:

Winning Eleven 2009, Gundam Musou 2 and White Knight Chronicles.

It will remain to be seen how it will be fair in January after the holidays are over as bcn-ron says, but it might stand stronger by then against the 360 when March and SO4 come.

Rock_Man said:
Estimations of tie ratios in Japan

PSP tie ratio is decreasing again with the release of the new model.

It just adds to the discussion on how Japan sees the PSP as a multimedia device instead of a games console.

From 2chan:

YTD Top10 Sellers (till 10/26/2008 or 10/19/2008**):

1.) Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) - 2.439.390
2.) Wii Fit (Wii) - 1.848.148
3.) Pokémon Platinum (NDS) - 1.793.361
4.) Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 1.789.250
5.) Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) - 1.712.386
6.) Dragon Quest V (NDS) - 1.158.577
7.) Rhythm Tengoku Gold - 967.831
8.) Wii Sports (Wii) - 697.410
9.) Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) - 662.542
10.) Phantasy Star Portable (PSP) - 618.837
* Famitsu
** one of these two weeks. ^^

-Kh-

Banned
Captain Smoker said:
From 2chan:

3.) Pokémon Platinum (NDS) - 1.793.361

9.) Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) - 662.542

* Famitsu

I hope Pokemon takes the second place for the year, doesn't matter if Wii fit takes over in LTD.

And it is great to see MGS4 in the top 10.

Now that all of Nintendo's big guns have been released (after AC comes out), 2009 will be a very interesting year. Nintendo will have to work hard to bolster Wii sales. Will third parties finally shine on the Wii? Feels like the real battle has just begun.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
-Kh- said:
Have to remind you that there are 3 more big titles coming out in the following month and a half that might as well keep the PS3 hovering around the 20k mark during the less busy holiday weeks:

Winning Eleven 2009, Gundam Musou 2 and White Knight Chronicles.

It will remain to be seen how it will be fair in January after the holidays are over as bcn-ron says, but it might stand stronger by then against the 360 when March and SO4 come.

We'll see. WE 09 should do well because there is no PS2 version, but by the same token I don't expect GM 2 to do so well because there is a PS2 version. Who knows on WKC. I think it might disappoint.

I still think its unlikely to do as well as last holiday.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
Now that all of Nintendo's big guns have been released (after AC comes out), 2009 will be a very interesting year.

Galaxy 2 and Zelda Wii should be coming (probably 2010, though). Pikmin 3, GameCube Wii-port Collection (I really think this has a chance to significantly improve the core market on the Wii), and Punch-Out! should all be out in 2009 (GC Collection starting in 2008). Monster Hunter 3, Final Fantasy: Echoes, another DQ spinoff, Haruhi (and other animes), an expected main RE game (RE4:Gaiden or post PS360 release announced RE5), and a (hopefully not bad) Tales game all in 2009.

I honestly feel that 2009 will be the year that Nintendo makes serious advancement in taking over the core Japanese market from the PS2. The PS2 is unavoidably fading, and PS3/360 has (some of) the games but not the userbase. Wii Sports Resort should carry the mainstream audience for a while, but it can only be a temporary fix until the core games bring in the PS2 traditional audience.

schuelma

BishopLamont said:
Now that all of Nintendo's big guns have been released (after AC comes out), 2009 will be a very interesting year. Nintendo will have to work hard to bolster Wii sales. Will third parties finally shine on the Wii? Feels like the real battle has just begun.

They'll have Wii Sports Resort in the Spring, and then yeah, it doesn't look like many established IP's.

3rd parties will definitely have an opportunity. Monster Hunter 3. Next Tales. Samurai Warriors 3.

schuelma

donny2112 said:
I honestly feel that 2009 will be the year that Nintendo makes serious advancement in taking over the core Japanese market from the PS2. The PS2 is unavoidably fading, and PS3/360 has (some of) the games but not the userbase. Wii Sports Resort should carry the mainstream audience for a while, but it can only be a temporary fix until the core games bring in the PS2 traditional audience.

I agree that in 2009 they will make strides, but the biggest issue to me is that the handhelds keep selling and seem to be getting the bulk of the new game announcements.

If it was just a case of comparing Wii against the PS2 and PS360, I'd completely agree with you.

I think a big key is whether SE actually has something major coming. Still not a major RPG market on Wii and SE could fix that in a hurry.

donny2112

schuelma said:
I agree that in 2009 they will make strides, but the biggest issue to me is that the handhelds keep selling and seem to be getting the bulk of the new game announcements.

If it was just a case of comparing Wii against the PS2 and PS360, I'd completely agree with you.

PS2 still has a fairly large and active core market even with the handheld dominance of the last two years. Whether it exists beside the handheld games or despite the handheld games is largely irrelevant. It's that audience that the Wii needs to be going after. If the games are there and sell, the handheld audience will come around, too.

schuelma said:
I think a big key is whether SE actually has something major coming. Still not a major RPG market on Wii and SE could fix that in a hurry.

I'm not expecting the Wii to ever really get a major RPG market, personally. There are a lot of genres outside of the RPG that the Wii should be taking over from the PS2, though.

schuelma

donny2112 said:
PS2 still has a fairly large and active core market even with the handheld dominance of the last two years. Whether it exists beside the handheld games or despite the handheld games is largely irrelevant. It's that audience that the Wii needs to be going after. If the games are there and sell, the handheld audience will come around, too.

I guess my point is that it seems possible to me that those games the Wii needs might not come as often as you would think because they go to handhelds.

Dascu

SquareEnix got out FF3DS early in its lifetime, thereby establishing a solid RPG userbase on the lovely little handheld. There's however no such game on the Wii, and none of the RPGs out and coming out for it in the near future are of high enough profile to convince core players to "make the jump". Monster Hunter 3 and the new mainline Tales could, and hopefully will, change that.

-Kh-

Banned
donny2112 said:
I'm not expecting the Wii to ever really get a major RPG market, personally. There are a lot of genres outside of the RPG that the Wii should be taking over from the PS2, though.

At least there have been way more Japanese Action games than RPG, it might lack some platformers, but it gets it share of sports and racing games, although it could do better on that department, as in a high-profile racing sim made first or second party, to stand along the side of GT and PGR for example.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Galaxy 2 and Zelda Wii should be coming (probably 2010, though). Pikmin 3, GameCube Wii-port Collection (I really think this has a chance to significantly improve the core market on the Wii), and Punch-Out! should all be out in 2009 (GC Collection starting in 2008). Monster Hunter 3, Final Fantasy: Echoes, another DQ spinoff, Haruhi (and other animes), an expected main RE game (RE4:Gaiden or post PS360 release announced RE5), and a (hopefully not bad) Tales game all in 2009.

I don't know. This year Japan had:

3rd party "core" games:
Tales, Tenchu, Sky Crawlers, Fatal Frame*, House of The Dead, Shiren, PowaPro 15
Nintendo games:
Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Baseball, Wario
Gc->Wii games:
Resident Evil 0
Anime Games:
Soul Eater, One Piece

A DS port (FFCC) and unnannounced games (Resident Evil?, DQ spinoff? WTF?) aren't going to do much. MH on the other hand could do a lot for the Wii

schuelma

Spiegel said:
I don't know. This year Japan had:

3rd party "core" games:
Tales, Tenchu, Sky Crawlers, Fatal Frame*, House of The Dead, Shiren, PowaPro 15
Nintendo games:
Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Baseball, Wario
Gc->Wii games:
Resident Evil 0
Anime Games:
Soul Eater, One Piece

A DS port (FFCC) and unnannounced games (Resident Evil?, DQ spinoff? WTF?) aren't going to do much. MH on the other hand could do a lot for the Wii

At least as far a 3rd parties go, I think those are mostly tier 2 or tier 3 franchises there.

For next year, Monster Hunter 3, Tales, and Samurai Warriors 3 will be much bigger than anything you listed.

schuelma

Dascu said:
SquareEnix got out FF3DS early in its lifetime, thereby establishing a solid RPG userbase on the lovely little handheld. There's however no such game on the Wii, and none of the RPGs out and coming out for it in the near future are of high enough profile to convince core players to "make the jump". Monster Hunter 3 and the new mainline Tales could, and hopefully will, change that.

Agreed. There have been a decent amount of solid tier 2 third party stuff, but they kind of skipped the step where they release the big third party franchises to build the market.

Top Bottom