• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/10 - 11/16

Link

The Autumn Wind
d+pad said:
I think some here are just jumping the gun. Numbers are lower, but only because one of third-party offerings continue to be thin and one of NOJ's big holiday titles turned out to be a bit of a bomb. I think the combo of AC, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit will carry the system through the holidays and then in the early spring they'll drop Wii Sports Resort to keep things going.
This is all starting to sound very familiar.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
d+pad said:
I think some here are just jumping the gun. Numbers are lower, but only because one of third-party offerings continue to be thin and one of NOJ's big holiday titles turned out to be a bit of a bomb. I think the combo of AC, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit will carry the system through the holidays and then in the early spring they'll drop Wii Sports Resort to keep things going.

I don't think Nintendo is doomed or anything- I just think they're going to have a weak holiday period.

I think they'll be fine next year Wii Sports Resort will do well, and Monster Hunter and other 3rd party games should finally make an impact.

justchris

Spiegel said:
It was just a thought, I wasn't talking about Sony or Microsoft. It's only that seems like Nintendo is developing less games internally and I don't like that. It's obvious that the "expanded" audience is affecting their internal output and they are filling the holes publishing more games

It's, of course, not remotely possible that Nintendo is actually dedicating more resources to core projects, which generally speaking take longer to develop than casual products, so the overwhelming dearth of releases this year would more point to a lack of casual games than a focus on them.

Spiegel said:
I haven't said that.

I said that you can see the focus of Nintendo on Wii better with their internally developed games and that I was disappointed with their (internal) output.

I don't know how talking about Sony or Microsoft makes sense here.

How does Nintendo's internally developed games show the focus of the company, but Sony's internally developed games do not? After all, if Sony wanted to focus on adventure games and platformers, they'd develop them inhouse, right? Why are Sony and Microsoft allowed to pay someone to develop a game, but Nintendo isn't? If you're disappointed with Nintendo's output, why ignore the games they pay for?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't see what's so absurd about the comparison. Crappy third party support + the usual Nintendo heavy hitters. The only difference is the console is selling like gangbusters. If things continue along this path, though, I feel things will normalize.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Link said:
I don't see what's so absurd about the comparison. Crappy third party support + the usual Nintendo heavy hitters. The only difference is the console is selling like gangbusters. If things continue along this path, though, I feel things will normalize.

Dont forget the non games though. Oh and MH3, which will save the day

ksamedi

Link said:

Except that the Nintendo heavy hitters are much more heavy and the crappy third party support is much less crappy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:
Except that the Nintendo heavy hitters are much more heavy and the crappy third party support is much less crappy.

Maybe if you are talking something new like Wii Fit or a truly great game like SMG. The other stuff like MK and SSBB is just benefitting from an increased userbase to sell on. I have no doubt SSBM or MKDD would have sold like MKW and SSBB if the GC was selling like a Wii or even a PS1. He's mainly talking about droughts

schuelma

HK-47 said:
He's mainly talking about droughts

Ok..completely ignoring the actual real differences in perception and adoption rate between the GC and Wii, there is quite a bit coming in 09 that we already know about.

ksamedi

HK-47 said:
Maybe if you are talking something new like Wii Fit or a truly great game like SMG. The other stuff like MK and SSBB is just benefitting from an increased userbase to sell on. I have no doubt SSBM or MKDD would have sold like MKW and SSBB if the GC was selling like a Wii or even a PS1. He's mainly talking about droughts

Yes I was talking about titles such as Wiifit, Wiisports, Wiiplay (not counting Wiimusic because it has't proven itself to have legs yet). Gamecube never had such big hardware selling pieces of software.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:
Yes I was talking about titles such as Wiifit, Wiisports, Wiiplay (not counting Wiimusic because it has't proven itself to have legs yet). Gamecube never had such big hardware selling pieces of software.

Other than Sports, is the software selling cause the hardware is hot or the other way around?

Weisheit

HK-47 said:
Other than Sports, is the software selling cause the hardware is hot or the other way around?
If Wii Fit and Wii Play are selling solely because the hardware is "hot", why not Wii Music?

Also, the same could be said of the PS2, as nearly all of its (formerly) big games (that have already seen a PS3 release) have significantly underperformed.

onipex

Weisheit said:
If Wii Fit and Wii Play are selling solely because the hardware is "hot", why not Wii Music?

Also, the same could be said of the PS2, as nearly all of its (formerly) big games (that have already seen a PS3 release) have significantly underperformed.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

schuelma

HK-47 said:

You don't think Wii Fit gave Wii hardware a bump?

ccbfan

So many of you are in denial of the obvious.

Home console gaming that we know is dying in Japan.

All thats left is multiplayer/party game style games.

Also after seeing how little effect AC had on Wii hardware, I doubt Wii Sports 2 is going to do much more. At this point nothing Nintendo do with software is going to do much to increase Wii hardware sales. They already sent out all of their big guns. They have no more big guns left unless they make a real Pokemon RPG.

The last ray of hope for to Wii get gather a decent amount of core gamers at this point is MH3 and even that is a question considering it's strength as a console game versus a handheld game. Remember, this franchise wasn't big until it hit the PSP.

The PS2 core have moved on with the DS and PSP to a lesser extent. If you like Japanese style games then be prepare to get the handhelds.

donny2112

justchris said:
How does Nintendo's internally developed games show the focus of the company, but Sony's internally developed games do not?

Nintendo makes hardware to support their software. They're software first. Sony makes hardware to support others' software. They're hardware first. That's why Nintendo's internal software development focus would be more relevant than Sony's internal software development focus.

d+pad

Link said:

So where do Wii Sports, Play, Fit and Music, not to mention original IPs fall into your little equation? 'Cause they're the major reason Wii is selling so well, not the 'heavy hitters'...

Jonnyram

ccbfan said:
So many of you are in denial of the obvious.

Home console gaming that we know is dying in Japan.
I disagree. On the contrary, it's just taking off. Console gaming has had a rough start this generation, mainly because of the rift Nintendo has created between casual and core gaming, but Japanese consumers will "get it" eventually.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
I disagree. On the contrary, it's just taking off. Console gaming has had a rough start this generation, mainly because of the rift Nintendo has created between casual and core gaming, but Japanese consumers will "get it" eventually.

Are you saying they'll "get it" and move to HD?

Jonnyram

schuelma said:
Are you saying they'll "get it" and move to HD?
I guess so, thought it has more to do with me thinking further PS3 price drops and continued 360 momentum will expand the market quite a bit next year. Fingers crossed anyway.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jonnyram said:
I guess so, thought it has more to do with me thinking further PS3 price drops and continued 360 momentum will expand the market quite a bit next year. Fingers crossed anyway.

Hopefully, so Nintendo stops phoning it in. Outside of WLS I'm so disappointed with how the rest of their 08 Wii Lineup turned out

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jonnyram said:

The HD consoles have some very nice looking releases coming out early next year, so hopefully they'll do better.

Famitsu Top30 + Hardware. :)

NDS: 120.000
PSP: 66.000
WII: 40.000
PS3: 18.000
360: 14.000
PS2: 5.900

*DSi: 102.000
DSL: 18.000

1. Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii) 303.204 [303.204]
2. Chrono Trigger (NDS) 276.049 [276.049]
3. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam (PSP) 240.594 [240.594]
4. The Last Remnant (360) 102.000 [102.000]
5. Saka-Tsuku DS: Touch and Direct (NDS) 73.000 [73.000]
6. Kirby Super Star Ultra (NDS) 51.000 [408.000]
7. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS) 29.000 [1.100.000]
8. Wagamama Fasion: Gals Mode (NDS) 25.000 [217.000]
9. Tongari Boushi no Mahou no 365 Nichi (NDS) 25.000 [76.000]
10. Ryuusei no RockMan 3: Black Ace / Red Joker (NDS) 23.000 [88.000]

11. Samurai Dou 3 (PS3) 21.000 [103.000]
12. Pokémon Platinum (NDS) 20.000 [1.905.000]
13. Wii Fit (Wii) 18.000 [2.732.000]
14. Prinny: Ore ga Shujinkou de Iinsuka? /(PSP) 18.000 [18.000]
15. Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS 2 - Sabaku no Majou (NDS) 16.000 [63.000]
16. Koihime Musou (PS2) 16.000 [16.000]
17. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue: Spec III (PS3) 16.000 [95.000]
18. Otomedius G (360) 15.000 [15.000]
19. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (PSP) 14.000 [67.000]
20. Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate: The Shield of AIGIS (PS2) 12.000 [12.000]
21. DS Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense 2 Shin Tantei Series... (NDS) 11.000 [36.000]
22. Secret Agent Clank (PSP) 10.000 [10.000]
23. Resistance 2 (PS3) 9.600 [45.000]
24. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 9.500 [1.829.000]
25. Wii Music (Wii) 9.000 [198.000]
26. Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Kindan no Yami no Delta (PS2) 8.500 [8.500]
27. We Ski & Snowboard (Wii) 8.000 [21.000]
28. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) 7.700 [179.000]
29. Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (PS3) 7.200 [7.200]
30. Personal Trainer: Walking (NDS) 7.200 [47.000]

xx. MotorStorm 2 (PS3) 6.500
xx. Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Kindan no Yami no Delta (Wii) 5.400
xx. Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (360) 2.700
xx. Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (PS2) 2.000
xx. Tomyka Hero: Rescue Force DS (NDS) 1.700
xx. Okada Toshio no Itsumademo DEBU to Omounayo: DS Recording Diet (NDS) 890

Jonnyram

Captain Smoker said:
Famitsu Top30 + Hardware. :)
No 360 number?

Nice to see 15k from Otomedius anyway, very nice. I wonder how much Konami is going to make from the boatloads of DLC we are bound to see.

Top Bottom