• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/10 - 11/16

birdchili

d+pad said:
You think the PS3 or 360 will start outselling Wii? I don't.
is the bulk of the jrpg crowd more-or-less done with consoles now? notwithstanding Tales, the wii rpg future seems interesting, but decidedly small-scale stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MS internally developed:
Perfect Dark Zero
Kameo
Viva Pinata
Forza 2
Halo 3 (* company is no longer first party)
Shadowrun (* company no longer exists)
Viva Pinata 2
Fable 2
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts

... upcoming from MGS:
Halo Wars (* company no longer exists)
Halo Chronicles (?--it's unclear if this counts, since it's a partnership between MS and Peter Jackson, and that's getting into the same territory as 1st party published 3rd party developed)

Both lists are exhaustive.

[Nintex] said:
Wasn't Folklore a Sony 1st party game as well?

Of course it was.

... it just wasn't internally developed and Spiegel for some reason thought the distinction was relevant enough to raise.

Weisheit

Stumpokapow said:
MS internally developed:
Perfect Dark Zero
Kameo
Viva Pinata
Forza 2
Halo 3
Shadowrun
Viva Pinata 2
Fable 2
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts

... upcoming from MGS:
Halo Wars
Halo Chronicles (?--it's unclear if this counts, since it's a partnership between MS and Peter Jackson, and that's getting into the same territory as 1st party published 3rd party developed)
Heh, I was gonna list MS as well but decided against it, not very impressive either though. Somehow I don't see that argument coming up again...

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:
Spiegel for some reason thought the distinction was relevant enough to raise.

I have my own reasons :p

Nintendo is a large company and the *best* first party studio so I'm expecting a bit more from them.
Being honest, I'm pretty disappointed with their Wii output so far (in number).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
Err...why do you think 3rd parties still are? What huge 3rd party Japan-centric games have been announced for HD consoles lately?

If you want to argue that the Wii is going to start falling because of handhelds then that might be a bit more reasonable, but as far as HD goes I see no evidence it's going to make a comeback.

I wish they would, then maybe Nintendo would stop putting out half assed products I played last gen

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MotorStorm was not internally done by Sony, BTW. Evolution were bought after MotorStorm 1 but before MotorStorm 2. Can't give Sony any credit for it. It was externally developed! *gasp*

Spiegel said:
I have my own reasons :p

Nintendo is a large company and the *best* first party studio so I'm expecting a bit more from them.
Being honest, I'm pretty disappointed with their Wii output so far (in number).

Except that who gives a damn about whether it was internally developed or outsourced? If it's shit, it's shit. If it's good, it's good. Mass Effect is still a triumph for Microsoft, Endless Ocean is still a solid experience on the Wii, and Afrika is by all accounts plenty good on the PS3.

... so, again, why do we care whether it was developed internally, commissioned, or pitched, if it's still got Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony on the box?

d+pad

Minsc said:
Because the retail stores did?

I'm not sure we can assume that simply from shipped-to-retailer numbers. I seriously doubt, for instance, that retailers thought they would sell the majority of their AC shipment the first week, esp. given the series' historically long legs.

Look, I'm not trying to say 300k+ is an amazing first-week number for this game, but I'd hardly call it bad or disappointing either. I'd call them "pretty good" :D

Link

The Autumn Wind
Stumpokapow said:
or people just stop calling you on friday nights because they want to have a good time
I'm really not too concerned that the forum is gonna leave me out of its weekend plans.

Jokeropia

Looks like DSi is still selling out it's ~90k shipments while some extra people picked up a DSL this week since they couldn't find a DSi. Nintendo better up their DSi shipments once the holidays get started for real.

-Kh-

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Actually, I didn't expect any better in the middle of a recession.

The recession might be part of it, but it is not the main reason why the Wii numbers are low.

It is clearly the lack of new titles, together with the lack of bundles, colors, etc. It is time in Japan for a black Wii to show around, or to start making some bundles. A TvC Wii bundle would be great for the Wii, but of course, Nintendo won't do that.

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:
Except that who gives a damn about whether it was internally developed or outsourced?

I do. Because I'm wondering what the fuck is Nintendo doing internally and the new announcements only make it worse.

2008 and upcoming releases:
- Wii Music (okay I suppose, not for me)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (good)
- Animal Crossing (this has been in development for years? is this a joke?)
- Wii Sports Resort (okay, not for me)
- Pikmin (wiimakes? yeah nintendo)
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (the same)
- Mario Kart Wii (good)
- General Knowledge Training TV (...)
- Captain Rainbow (i don't know)
- Disaster: Day of Crisis (good, low budget)

The thing is that I don't like what I'm seeing. With all the money and the ease of development of the Wii I'd expect more from Nintendo

swerve

-Kh- said:
A TvC Wii bundle would be great for the Wii, but of course, Nintendo won't do that.

Of course.

So, with it being so obvious that the Wii would sell better with one of these:

snes+sf2.JPG

then if Nintendo were worried about their sales they could do one, no? I'm sure Capcom would oblige.

So your certainty that it would help can only mean one thing: Wii is meeting expectations. PHEW! <slippy>I was worried for a moment</slippy>

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Super Smash Bros Brawl was not really internally developed and I'm not sure why it was on that list.

Spiegel said:
I do. Because I'm wondering what the fuck is Nintendo doing internally and the new announcements only make it worse.

Okay but Nintendo tomorrow said "we are no longer developing anything internal" and outsourced everything and the quality did not change, why would it matter? What matters is the games Nintendo is publishing, not the games Nintendo is making. I can get why someone would be worried if Nintendo announced a certain franchise was being outsourced--but that's in the pre-release period. If the delivered product is quality and the company is paying for it and publishing it, what's the issue?

Again, why does it matter if Wario Land, Endless Ocean, or any other outsourced title is outsourced? Do you claim Sony sucks because the majority of their published games are done by outside devs?

The thing is that I don't like what I'm seeing. With all the money and the ease of development of the Wii I'd expect more from Nintendo

... and I don't have a problem with that, but what I don't get is why it matters if Nintendo developed it internally or outsourced it, provided the quality is the same? I mean, no one would say "I expect more of Sony, why aren't they making quality titles like White Knight Chronicles, Little Big Planet, or Ratchet and Clank!?" because by definition they are getting those titles from Sony

Imagine if I did this:

NBA 07 (don't care about basketball)
NBA 08 (don't care about basketball)
NBA '09: The Inside (don't care about basketball)
MLB 07: The Show (don't care about baseball)
MLB 08: The Show (don't care about baseball)
Hot Shots Golf 5 (okay i guess, not for me)
Gran Turismo HD Concept (Japan Only) (lol demo)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (lol demo)
MotorStorm 2 (same thing as motorstorm)
Formula One Championship Edition (don't care about f1)
Warhawk (good)
SingStar (singing game for girls)
SingStar Vol 2 (singing game for girls)
SingStar Vol 3 Party Edition (singing game for girls)
The Eye of Judgment (... magic cards lololololol)
My Summer Vacation 3? (hahaahhaha girl games? yeah sony!)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (good)

hahaha out of all of sony's internally developed games only two of them are games i like!!!

Why isn't Sony making awesome games like LittleBigPlanet? How pathetic! Making gimmicky crap like SingStar and MLB! Pshaw! Shouldn't they learn from other devs and make cool stuff like Folklore or Ratchet and Clank? Just a truly awful company! Where's the hits like Resistance!? Gee, I wish Sony could get a franchise like SOCOM. I wish Sony was able to come up with stuff like MAG or inFamous. Pity Sony isn't good enough to make any of those games!

And Microsoft? Well, they're awesome. Good thing they didn't make duds like Fuzion Frenzy, Every Party, Vampire Rain, Tenchu Z, Too Human, or Ninety-Nine Nights! I really wish they'd make something like Alan Wake or Mass Effect, though :(

That's be stupid, because Sony DOES "make" LBP, Ratchet and Clank, Folklore, Resistance, SOCOM, MAG, and inFamous. They just do it through external companies. It's okay if you don't like Nintendo's games or direction, but what does it matter if they make the games internally or just publish them?

Stumpokapow said:
Of course it was.

... it just wasn't internally developed and Spiegel for some reason thought the distinction was relevant enough to raise.
The Sony list is wrong either way. If we include externally-developed titles it should actually read something like this:

Afrika
The Eye of Judgment
Folklore
Formula One Championship Edition
Genji: Days of the Blade
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf 5
MLB 07: The Show
MLB 08: The Show
MotorStorm
MotorStorm 2
My Summer Vacation 3
NBA 07
NBA 08
NBA 09: The Inside
SingStar
SingStar Vol 2
SingStar Vol 3 Party Edition
Siren: New Translation/Blood Curse
SOCOM: Confrontation
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Warhawk

That list doesn't at all seem to be just driving and yearly sports games as Weisheit claimed.

Weisheit

Liabe Brave said:
The Sony list is wrong either way. If we include externally-developed titles it should actually read something like this:

Afrika
The Eye of Judgment
Folklore
Formula One Championship Edition
Genji: Days of the Blade
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Heavenly Sword
Hot Shots Golf 5
MLB 07: The Show
MLB 08: The Show
MotorStorm
MotorStorm 2
My Summer Vacation 3
NBA 07
NBA 08
NBA 09: The Inside
SingStar
SingStar Vol 2
SingStar Vol 3 Party Edition
Siren: New Translation/Blood Curse
SOCOM: Confrontation
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Warhawk

That list doesn't at all seem to be just driving and yearly sports games as Weisheit claimed.
:lol

Go read the last page, then get back to me...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Liabe Brave said:

did you miss the entire point of this conversation?

did you miss the entire point of his post?

Spiegel raised a distinction between "internally developed" and "externally developed" when it comes to Nintendo. Everyone except Spiegel says this is ridiculous, and that you would never apply those standards to Sony or Microsoft.

The whole point is that just listing the internally developed games is not representative of the company's output.

Did you even read my post?

-Kh-

Banned
swerve said:
Of course.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_BDCqpuwRnf4/R2uk0E3zBeI/AAAAAAAACmk/lHH_EZMGcQ8/s400/snes+sf2.JPG

then if Nintendo were worried about their sales they could do one, no? I'm sure Capcom would oblige.

So your certainty that it would help can only mean one thing: Wii is meeting expectations. PHEW! <slippy>I was worried for a moment</slippy>

The fuck? Within all your sarcasm, are you agreeing or disaggreeing with me?

The wii meeting expectations means that lower weekly sales from last year's november is what Nintendo expected?

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:
It's okay if you don't like Nintendo's games or direction, but what does it matter if they make the games internally or just publish them?

It was just a thought, I wasn't talking about Sony or Microsoft. It's only that seems like Nintendo is developing less games internally and I don't like that. It's obvious that the "expanded" audience is affecting their internal output and they are filling the holes publishing more games

And it does matter, outsourced games are usually worse than the games internally developed by Nintendo. Maybe they are good but they could be great. (imo)

AniHawk

Spiegel said:
It was just a thought, I wasn't talking about Sony or Microsoft. It's only that seems like Nintendo is developing less games internally and I don't like that. It's obvious that the "expanded" audience is affecting their internal output and they are filling the holes publishing more games

And it does matter, outsourced games are usually worse than the games internally developed by Nintendo. Maybe they are good but they could be great.

For the last year or so they've simply released less stuff all-around. They only have one team dedicated to the casual stuff on the Wii, and they only have one game scheduled for release. On the DS, they have no casual games coming out. Hell, it's been what, 3 years since they did a Brain Age game?

Either the big teams are all working on new stuff (likely), or they're slowly transitioning to the next generation (slightly less likely). But I don't think there's some sort of mass-siphoning to casual games happening.

Linkup

Spiegel said:
It's obvious that the "expanded" audience is affecting their internal output and they are filling the holes publishing more games

Isn't the studio that did Wii Sports/Play/Fit/Music and Animal Crossing all the same team with a few changes higher up(producers and such)?

Stumpokapow said:
did you miss the entire point of this conversation?

did you miss the entire point of his post?

Did you even read my post?
Your civility knows no bounds.

I understand exactly what you, Weisheit, and Captain Smoker are saying. My post responding to Weisheit wasn't saying that sphinx and Spiegel are correct. It was that, using the very logical inclusion of externally-developed games, the Sony list really does look more diverse than the Nintendo one. Hence Weisheit's (sarcastic) summation doesn't ring true.

sphinx is wrong, but that argument isn't why. The fact that external development under a platform holder's auspices is part and parcel of the first party's market positioning is why.

donny2112

Kagari said:
PS3 seems to be at a stable number now...

Hasn't it just been two weeks at the current number? Remember what people were saying about "PS3 has a new baseline" back in January based on a couple of weeks' data? Sales will go up for New Year's period and probably for the PES 2009 release, but it's too early to say its number is "stable."

Kagari said:
PS3 seems to be at a stable number now... they still need to drop the price though.

In Japan the PS3 is the same MSRP that the PS2 was when it launched. Also, out of the three big territories, the PS3 has been the cheapest in Japan then anywhere else. They even kept the 20 gig on store shelves for about a year. I really don't think a Japanese price cut is the same as a Europe or US price cut.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Liabe Brave said:

I understand exactly what you, Weisheit, and Captain Smoker are saying. My post responding to Weisheit wasn't saying that sphinx and Spiegel are correct. It was that, using the very logical inclusion of externally-developed games, the Sony list really does look more diverse than the Nintendo one. Hence Weisheit's (sarcastic) summation doesn't ring true.

sphinx is wrong, but that argument isn't why. The fact that external development under a platform holder's auspices is part and parcel of the first party's market positioning is why.

Logical, but not what the argument was including

Weisheit

Liabe Brave said:

I understand exactly what you, Weisheit, and Captain Smokerare saying. My post responding to Weisheit wasn't saying that sphinx and Spiegel are correct. It was that, using the very logical inclusion of externally-developed games, the Sony list really does look more diverse than the Nintendo one. Hence Weisheit's (sarcastic) summation doesn't ring true.

A comparison between the two (who has the more diverse line-up) wasn't what was being discussed...

d+pad

I think the interesting thing to consider among all of these "OMG! The Wii is dying!" comments is that the folks at Nintendo don't seem worried in the least. They have yet to drop the price, offer new colors or even offer a bundle - wouldn't they do one of these things, if not more, if they were worried that their position in the marketplace was slipping?

I'm sure their continued thrashing of the competition in Europe and NA makes things somewhat complicated but, really, if they wanted to stir demand they'd at the very least throw a bundle out there.

Osuwari

methinks they just placed all their bets on AC/WM and didn't see this coming so no backup plan for the time being.

console gaming overall is in a dire situation in japan. if Nintendo finds a solution, it will be surprising and a big milestone.

Weisheit said:
A comparison between the two (who has the more diverse line-up) wasn't what was being discussed...
It implicitly was. Yes, I know the main point was that you can't arbitrarily limit Nintendo's development/marketing/branding strategy to only internally-developed titles, and I agree with that. But you seemed to be pointing to that conclusion by mocking the idea that Nintendo's output is homogenous, where I think even with external titles included it is more homogenous than Sony's. That doesn't make you wrong, I just don't think that argument is very strong.

Like I said, the real reason you're right is that it simply makes sense. If Nintendo foots the bill for a game, it doesn't matter who made it: Nintendo obviously view it as an important contribution to their image and product line.

ksamedi

d+pad said:
I think the interesting thing to consider among all of these "OMG! The Wii is dying!" comments is that the folks at Nintendo don't seem worried in the least. They have yet to drop the price, offer new colors or even offer a bundle - wouldn't they do one of these things, if not more, if they were worried that their position in the marketplace was slipping?

I'm sure their continued thrashing of the competition in Europe and NA makes things somewhat complicated but, really, if they wanted to stir demand they'd at the very least throw a bundle out there.

I fully expect them to announce new colors or even a redesign (maybe more flash mem, even smaller). Like you said, I think that US and European sales complicate things. They already have trouble producing enough single color Wii's. Still I'm pretty sure Nintendo is setting up their factories to produce additional colors or redesigned Wii's. Nintendo makes all their decisions based on Japan (atleast thats how it always has been).

Weisheit

Liabe Brave said:
It implicitly was.
No, it really wasn't.

Liabe Brave said:
where I think even with external titles included it is more homogenous than Sony's.
But, again, I was in no way inferring Nintendo has a more diverse line-up than Sony.

Yes, I know the main point was that you can't arbitrarily limit Nintendo's development/marketing/branding strategy to only internally-developed titles, and I agree with that.
This is the only point I was making.

OldJadedGamer said:
In Japan the PS3 is the same MSRP that the PS2 was when it launched. Also, out of the three big territories, the PS3 has been the cheapest in Japan then anywhere else. They even kept the 20 gig on store shelves for about a year. I really don't think a Japanese price cut is the same as a Europe or US price cut.
While the prices are all different in Japan, the comparatives are much the same. The base 360 is half the price of a PS3, just like in America; for less than the price of a PS3 alone you can buy a Wii, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit, just like in America.

Given that the gap in U.S. monthly sales for PS3/Wii (about 1:4) matches pretty well with Japan, and 360 is less of a competitor there, I actually think a price cut could do them some real good. Nothing they ever do will get them to first place week-in week-out, though, much less in lifetime sales.

Weisheit said:
No, it really wasn't.

But, again, I was in no way inferring Nintendo has a more diverse line-up than Sony.
No, you equated them, but my point was even that's incorrect. Whatever you intended, the logic of your argument requires the comparison. Here's a quick recapitulation of what was said:

sphinx: "Nintendo's internal games are all alike. Their output sucks!"
Weisheit: "But by this standard Sony's internal games are also all alike. Your conclusion sucks!"
Liabe Brave: "Yeah, his conclusion is bad, but not because Sony's games are also all alike (because they aren't)."

It's a pretty minor logical point. Sorry to derail the conversation.

Weisheit

Liabe Brave said:
No, you equated them, but my point was even that's incorrect. Whatever you intended, the logic of your argument requires the comparison. Here's a quick recapitulation of what was said:

sphinx: "Nintendo's internal games are all alike. Their output sucks!"
Weisheit: "But by this standard Sony's internal games are also all alike. Your conclusion sucks!"
Liabe Brave: "Yeah, his conclusion is bad, but not because Sony's games are also all alike (because they aren't)."

It's a pretty minor logical point. Sorry to derail the conversation.
Eh, it's not a problem really. But as long as we're making minor logical points, what was really said was more like:

sphinx: "Nintendo's games are all alike. Their output sucks!"
GAF regulars #1 and #2: "You argument sucks because it's not true." *post list*
Spiegel: "Bububut only internally developed games should count."
Liabe Brave: "Weisheit, why are you being a sarcastic smart ass?"
:)j/k

I didn't make the comparison to prove sphinx wrong (GAF regulars #1 and #2 did that), I made it to show Spiegel that using his criteria the same (baseless) things can be said about Sony.

Spiegel

Weisheit said:
Spiegel: "Bububut only internally developed games should count."

I didn't make the comparison to prove sphinx wrong (GAF regulars #1 and #2 did that), I made it to show Spiegel that using his criteria the same (baseless) things can be said about Sony.

I haven't said that.

I said that you can see the focus of Nintendo on Wii better with their internally developed games and that I was disappointed with their (internal) output.

I don't know how talking about Sony or Microsoft makes sense here.

Tmac

swerve said:
Of course.

snes+sf2.JPG

But, does it need to sell better right now? Whatever slim supply margin nintendo has right now, will be crushed during hollydays.

After that and after they stock pile a large inventory (they cant do sales without inventory, do that and sold out with a marginal sales increase is just pointless), they can start to think about reducing the wii price (at least disguised price reduction, ie: bunddle).

d+pad

ksamedi said:
I fully expect them to announce new colors or even a redesign (maybe more flash mem, even smaller). Like you said, I think that US and European sales complicate things. They already have trouble producing enough single color Wii's. Still I'm pretty sure Nintendo is setting up their factories to produce additional colors or redesigned Wii's. Nintendo makes all their decisions based on Japan (atleast thats how it always has been).

I really can't see Nintendo offering up a redesign before they offer bundles, new colors or a price cut. It just wouldn't make sense. All of those things - bundles, colors and price cuts - would spur sales enough for them to 'hold out' for another year or so before any redesign is needed.

I think some here are just jumping the gun. Numbers are lower, but only because one of third-party offerings continue to be thin and one of NOJ's big holiday titles turned out to be a bit of a bomb. I think the combo of AC, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit will carry the system through the holidays and then in the early spring they'll drop Wii Sports Resort to keep things going.

d+pad said:
I really can't see Nintendo offering up a redesign before they offer bundles, new colors or a price cut. It just wouldn't make sense. All of those things - bundles, colors and price cuts - would spur sales enough for them to 'hold out' for another year or so before any redesign is needed.

I think some here are just jumping the gun. Numbers are lower, but only because one of third-party offerings continue to be thin and one of NOJ's big holiday titles turned out to be a bit of a bomb. I think the combo of AC, Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit will carry the system through the holidays and then in the early spring they'll drop Wii Sports Resort to keep things going.
Mark my words: until its successor is released, Nintendo aren't ever going to cut the price of the Wii. Price cuts simply do not factor into their new business model.

Weisheit

Spiegel said:
I haven't said that.

I said that you can see the focus of Nintendo on Wii better with their internally developed games and that I was disappointed with their (internal) output.

I don't know how talking about Sony or Microsoft makes sense here.
But before that you said:
Name the Nintendo games internally developed. (just for curiosity)
And because of this, I agree with what sphinx has said.

Again, bringing up Sony was only to show that using your criteria the same (baseless) things could be said about Sony. Whether or not you can see the focus of Nintendo using your criteria is another matter entirely.

ksamedi

d+pad said:

Well they already put out a number of expanded audiance games like Wiifit, Wiisports, Wiiplay and Wiimusic. Add to that a couple a massive franchises like Animal Crossing and Mario and you should have the level of succes the DS had in year 2. But that didn't happen. So Wiisports resort isn't going to cut it by itself. A redesign or new colors will certainly be the key to regain momentum. Price cut will not happen as seen with the DS (although a price raise is not out of the question with a redesign) so that eliminates bundles as well.

Top Bottom