• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/25 - 3/2

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Recopilation of titles that did over 100k first day on PS3:
1:「Shin Sangoku Musou 5」 170k
2:「Devil May Cry 4」 140k
3:「Gundam Musou」 117k
4:「Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!」113k
5:「Winning Eleven 2008」 107k
6:「Minna no Golf 5」 103k
Other first day sale figures:

Code:
[B][U]Wii:[/U][/B]
WII	Super Smash Bros. Brawl		        500.000
WII	Dragon Quest Swords			200.000
WII	Super Mario Galaxy			130.000
WII	Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles	70.000
WII	Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 	30.000
WII	Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon		30.000
WII	Winning Eleven 2008			20.000
WII	Metroid Prime 3: Corruption		20.000
WII	Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games	15.000
WII	Naruto: Shipp. Gek. Ninja Taisen! EX 2 	15.000
WII	Family Ski				10.000
WII	Endless Ocean 				10.000
WII	No More Heroes				10.000
WII	Ghost Squad 				8.000
WII	NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams 		7.000
WII	Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Double Pack)	7.000
WII	Zack & Wiki 				6.000
WII	Soul Calibur Legends			5.000
WII	Minna no Joushiki Ryoku TV		5.000
WII	We Love Golf!				4.000
WII	Gintama: Banji Oku Chuubu		4.000
WII	Super Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot!	3.000
WII	Major Dream: Major Wii Nagero! 		3.000
WII	Opoona					2.500
WII	Family Jockey				2.500
WII	Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity		2.000
WII	Trauma Center: New Blood		2.000
WII	Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party	1.500
WII	Medal of Honor: Heroes 2		1.000
WII	Doraemon Wii				1.000
WII	Onechanbara R				1.000
WII	Nodame Cantible			        1.000
WII	Shikigami no Shiro III			500

Code:
[B][U]PS3:[/U][/B]
PS3	Dynasty Warriors 6		170.000
PS3	Devil May Cry 4 		140.000
PS3	Gundam Musou			117.000
PS3	Yakuza 3			113.000
PS3	Winning Eleven 2008 		107.000
PS3	Hot Shots Golf 5 		103.000
PS3	Gran Turismo 5 Prologue 	50.000
PS3	Bladestorm: The Hundred...	40.000
PS3	Disgaea 3			40.000
PS3	Assassin's Creed 		20.000
PS3	The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 	15.000
PS3	Imabikisou 			15.000
PS3	Call of Duty 4 			14.000
PS3	Time Crisis 4			10.000
PS3	Lost Planet			10.000
PS3	Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 	7.000
PS3	Heavenly Sword 		        7.000
PS3	The Eye of Judgment 		6.000
PS3	Burnout Paradise		5.000
PS3	Medal of Honor: Airborne	2.500
PS3	Sega Rally Revo			2.000
PS3	FIFA Soccer 08			1.700
PS3	Tony Hawk's Project 8		1.500
PS3	Transformers: The Game		1.000

apujanata

Captain Smoker said:

Summary : Only 3 games on Wii achieve 100K+ first day sales, while 5 games on PS3 achieve 100K+ first day sales. Wii S/W is a failure ?

I noticed that there was no first day sales # of : Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play (those million seller S/W on Wii.

There are also no PS3 game such as : Gundam : Target sighted, Ridge Racer 6 (or is it 7 ?) etc.

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:
Do you honestly think this is the case?

DS Software is stratospheric. Literally blows everything else ever out of the water.

Is stratospheric for Nintendo games and a few third parties and good or great for the rest. S-E, Capcom and Konami all have comparable sales on PSP & NDS

kswiston

apujanata said:
Summary : Only 3 games on Wii achieve 100K+ first day sales, while 5 games on PS3 achieve 100K+ first day sales. Wii S/W is a failure ?

I noticed that there was no first day sales # of : Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play (those million seller S/W on Wii.

There are also no PS3 game such as : Gundam : Target sighted, Ridge Racer 6 (or is it 7 ?) etc.

I can't find first day numbers, but both Wii Sports and Wii Play sold ~175k in their first week. Wii Fit was >250k. Based on that, I'd say all three were over or near 100k on day one.

Lobster

Banned
apujanata said:

PS3 Dynasty Warriors 6 170.000
PS3 Devil May Cry 4 140.000
PS3 Gundam Musou 117.000
PS3 Yakuza 3 113.000
PS3 Winning Eleven 2008 107.000
PS3 Hot Shots Golf 5 103.000

All these games are big efforts from 3rd parties that are part of the main series. All are also from 3rd parties.

WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 500.000
WII Dragon Quest Swords 200.000
WII Super Mario Galaxy 130.000

1 3rd party effort. It is not a big effort nor is it part of the main series.

Theres your problem. We shouldn't be able to compare since PS3 3rd party support looks so awesome compared to the Wii.

kswiston

Captain Smoker said:

Code:
[B][U]PS3:[/U][/B]
PS3	Gran Turismo 5 Prologue 	50.000

GT5P actually performed pretty well considering its first week numbers. The last sales numbers I saw for it, put it past 200k. Wasn't that Sony's goal for the game? (or was it 250k?). Either way, while the total is not amazing, it's nice to see a PS3 game that didn't sell 60% of its LTD in week 1 and then fall of the face of the earth.

EDIT: What is the next noteworthy Wii game coming out (say 100k+ first week)? Mario Kart?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spiegel said:
Is stratospheric for Nintendo games and a few third parties and good or great for the rest. S-E, Capcom and Konami all have comparable sales on PSP & NDS

I'm not going over this again. Ethelred has posted median sales for every publisher on both platforms in the past. It's a waste of time to hash this out for the 400th time because people are STILL doubting the DS.

jarrod

Banned
kswiston said:
The last sales numbers I saw for it, put it past 200k. Wasn't that Sony's goal for the game? (or was it 250k?).
250k retail, 50k download.

kswiston said:
EDIT: What is the next noteworthy Wii game coming out (say 100k+ first week)? Mario Kart?
Coming soonish...

04.10.08 Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
04.24.08 Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk (BNGI)

...not much, but then there's literally nothing currently scheduled in the next couple months for PS360 that'll manage that benchmark either. Things should pick up again in June though (NG2, MGS4, DBZ Burst Limit).

ethelred

Spiegel said:

Square Enix most certainly has not had comparable sales on the PSP and DS. Square Enix has three million selling games on the DS.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not going over this again. ethel has posted median and mean sales for every publisher on both platforms in the past. It's a waste of time to hash this out for the 400th time because people are STILL doubting the DS.

Yeah, that's true.

Lobster

Banned
jarrod said:
Coming soonish...

04.10.08 Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
04.24.08 Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk (BNGI)

...not much, but then there's literally nothing currently scheduled in the next couple months for PS360 that'll manage that benchmark either. Things should pick up again in June though (NG2, MGS4, DBZ Burst Limit).

I kinda doubt Tales will be 100k+ first week.

iidesuyo

Stumpokapow said:
Do you honestly think this is the case?

DS Software is stratospheric. Literally blows everything else ever out of the water. Several companies have recorded record profits because of DS software. The DS has passed the PS2 in terms of million sellers. The DS median software number is enormous. DS software numbers literally entirely reversed an otherwise industry recession in Japan in 2006 and 2007. This is still true today. This is true of new games and existing franchises across virtually every publisher. There are 135 titles on the DS over 100k units.

PSP Software is anemic. This is not to say that nothing sells, but essentially nothing does. This is true in Japan and the US. There are 49 titles on the PSP over 100k units.

Finally, software sales of new games scale less-than-linearly with userbase growth. If title X is released on a platform with 10 million units, it should do more than 50% what it would have done on a platform with 20 million units. There are many reasons for this. Some because of library expansion and catalog sales, but also the adoption curves for hardware and consumer demographics. Did the average new title's sales double on the PS2 between 10 million hardware install base and 20 million? I doubt it even grew.

You were assuming that PSP software sales are hurt by piracy, but DS sales aren't.

We've now seen several DS releases in past few weeks, but hardly PSP releases. The DS games like Harvest Moon or Tokimeki Memorial all entered far below 100k. Of course DS overall sales destroy PSP overall DS sales, because there are a lot more releases week after week.

But then there are games like WE PSP (hovering around in its sixth week, approaching 150k), Monster Hunter (has Capcom a million seller on DS anyway?), or the SquarえEnix RPGs.

The tamagocchi or WhatEverTraining games are selling less and less - maybe this has to do with piracy as well? It's not impossible to play pirated games on the DS.

Neomoto

Spiegel said:
Sorry but what does it matter to whom the game belongs? Incredibly high selling software in Japan isn't as impressive just because it's from Nintendo or what? :)

Btw, Square Enix shouldn't be on that last part at all. They already have 3 million sellers on DS and they have 2 more coming (of which one is incredibly big) and that's not counting everything else they've put out.

Hell, DQ IX alone will most likely crush Sqaure-Enix's total PSP library ltd combined, more than 2 times over. Seriously. Even DQ Monsters alone comes very close to S-E PSP ltd totals.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177723&highlight=Square Enix

Afaik here are the most up-to-date software numbers for both DS and PSP in Japan so you can see for yourself :)

jarrod

Banned
Lobster said:
I kinda doubt Tales will be 100k+ first week.
I bet it will... it's positioned as the big golden week Wii game. Then again, the Tales fanbase does seem pretty hesitant to move past PS2. :lol

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:
It's a waste of time to hash this out for the 400th time because people are STILL doubting the DS.

That's not what I said. Saying that most third party games do good or great is doubting the DS?

I'm saying that few non-Nintendo games do stratosphericly. The DS is not a magical machine where all the games sell 500k, there are "bombas" and low sales too

Neomoto said:
Sorry but what does it matter to whom the game belongs? Incredibly high selling software in Japan isn't as impressive just because it's from Nintendo or what? :)

Afaik here are the most up-to-date software numbers for both DS and PSP in Japan so you can see for yourself :)

It matters because we're comparing sales (or lack of) on PSP and DS and Nintendo don't make psp games.

And S-E sells more on NDS because they have more high profile games on NDS.

Lobster

Banned
jarrod said:
I bet it will... it's positioned as the big golden week Wii game. Then again, the Tales fanbase does seem pretty hesitant to move past PS2. :lol

After the DS game..Don't know..

And this is a spinoff too!

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
That's not what I said. Saying that most third party games do good or great is doubting the DS?

I'm saying that few non-Nintendo games do stratosphericly. The DS is not a magical machine where all the games sell 500k, there are "bombas" and low sales too
Few non-Nintendo games do stratosphericly on any platform these days... but more are doing it on DS than all other platforms combined even.

When publishers like SEGA, Level 5 and Rocket Co. can manage 500k+ sellers, you know the software market is pretty healthy...

Spiegel said:

You said that the DS, aside from Nintendo games, shares the same levels of sales with the PSP.

I'm saying that few non-Nintendo games do stratosphericly.

A lot of non-Nintendo games do stratospherically.

The DS is not a magical machine where all the games sell 500k, there are "bombas" and low sales too

So basically, it's like every video game machine in history.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
iidesuyo said:
You were assuming that PSP software sales are hurt by piracy, but DS sales aren't.

That's not really what I said at all.

My position was that if PSP software sales are poor because of piracy, we ought to be seeing a similar effect on DS software sales. The R4 is easier than a Pandora battery, the downloads are smaller and easier, and it's just as widely available.

Further, PSP software sales have ALWAYS been anemic, even before piracy. DS software sales have not declined since the rise of the R4.

If there is widespread DS piracy, sales continue to be stratospheric in spite of it. Why do we get to blame piracy for the PSP software situation while not considering it a factor in any other console?

I do not believe piracy is the cause of poor PSP software sales.

We've now seen several DS releases in past few weeks, but hardly PSP releases. The DS games like Harvest Moon or Tokimeki Memorial all entered far below 100k. Of course DS overall sales destroy PSP overall DS sales, because there are a lot more releases week after week.

Read these two posts by ethelred to understand why your opinion on PSP vs. DS sales are wrong factually.

But then there are games like WE PSP (hovering around in its sixth week, approaching 150k), Monster Hunter (has Capacom a million seller on DS anyway?), or the SquarEnix RPGs.

You're right, AAA titles sell well on the PSP. Further reason to assume that piracy is not the cause of PSP software failure; if that was seriously the case, why wouldn't people pirate high profile titles?

The tamagocchi or WhatEverTraining games are selling less and less - maybe this has to do with piracy as well? It's not impossible to play pirated games on the DS.

... or because releasing shitty rehashes of an oversaturated genre of games with no effort is not generally a productive strategy to sell games.

Pimpwerx

blitz64 said:
looks like the Wii is going to beat the ps3 by 4:1 in March just like feburary.
Wii = DS. PS3 = PSP. Slow start, but we'll be claiming a moral victory in a year or two. ;) PEACE.

jarrod

Banned
Lobster said:
After the DS game..Don't know..

And this is a spinoff too!
Well, it's not Tempest tainted... plus the PSP "spinoff" was just 3k shy of 100k, and KOR seems to be getting a comparable, if not better, push. It's also a thoroughbred RPG (admittedly with collect-em-all grafted on) rather than a comparably limited dungeon grind.

iidesuyo

Neomoto said:
Hell, DQ IX alone will most likely crush Sqaure-Enix's total PSP library ltd combined, more than 2 times over.

So what? Do you think a Dragon Quest IX PSP would sell less than a DQIX DS?

ethelred

iidesuyo said:

We've now seen several DS releases in past few weeks, but hardly PSP releases. The DS games like Harvest Moon or Tokimeki Memorial all entered far below 100k.

Is there any particular reason games like this wouldn't enter below 100k?

Code:
Harvest Moon 2	 	N64 	27,597
Harvest Moon 3	 	PS2 	15,338
Back to Nature	 	PSX 	31,244
Back to Nature (Girls)	PSX 	6,139
Mineral Town		GBA 	20,050 
Mineral Town (Girls)	GBA 	10,757
Poem of Happiness	GCN 	19,394
Sprite Station		NDS 	22,926
Island Developed	NDS 	70,980
Tree of Hope		Wii 	18,733
Wonderful Life		GCN 	26,130
Wonderful Life (Girls)	GCN 	13,301
Oh Wonderful Life	PS2 	15,889

The most recent DS installment opened with 50k, right? So while it's far below 100k, as you noted... it's also the second best opening in the series' history. Gee, sales sure are being killed off here.

iidesuyo said:
But then there are games like WE PSP (hovering around in its sixth week, approaching 150k), Monster Hunter (has Capacom a million seller on DS anyway?), or the SquarEnix RPGs.

The only two Square Enix RPGs that still seem to be clinging to the charts are FFIV and DQIV. And on the whole, their RPGs have been more successful on the DS than on the PSP.

Laguna

Banned
Tales of Symphonia 2s producer destroyed all hopes of a big hit by telling that it would be a spin-off/cash-in esque game. You must be really an idiot to do something like that especially considering that Tales of game sales are driven buy Tales of Fans and most of them actually are Famitsu readers. I would say sef-owned :D Announcing Tales of Vesperia won´t help sales either. It´s a shame that it won´t sell because they actually made up their mind and put much more effort in this game than his statement suggested.

iidesuyo

ethelred said:
Is there any particular reason games like this wouldn't enter below 100k?

Code:
Harvest Moon 2	 	N64 	27,597
Harvest Moon 3	 	PS2 	15,338
Back to Nature	 	PSX 	31,244
Back to Nature (Girls)	PSX 	6,139
Mineral Town		GBA 	20,050 
Mineral Town (Girls)	GBA 	10,757
Poem of Happiness	GCN 	19,394
Sprite Station		NDS 	22,926
Island Developed	NDS 	70,980
Tree of Hope		Wii 	18,733
Wonderful Life		GCN 	26,130
Wonderful Life (Girls)	GCN 	13,301
Oh Wonderful Life	PS2 	15,889

Was this game ever released on the PSP? Comparisons make sense only when things are... compared.

How did Tokimeki Memorial do compared to its previous installments? How did the Winning Eleven games?

Spiegel

Dragona Akehi said:
oh god not this shit again

:/

I simply wanted to say that DS third party software do really good (not stratospherically) and psp third party sales are not that bad. If there are no new games (for psp) they can't show in the charts

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think ToS KoR will do pretty well. Even if its a spin off, it should appeal to fans of the first and since it's virtually the only relatively high profile RPG coming anytime soon, plus if the 4/24 date is correct it should only be sharing Golden Week with Mario Kart which is 2 weeks earlier.

Busaiku

iidesuyo said:
Just to note about Tokimeki, the 2nd game on the DS has just about shattered the 1st game's LTD in its 3rd week (the 2nd beat the total of the 1st on Moor-Angol's site, but the 1st game probably sold a bit more than that).

Laguna

Banned
iidesuyo said:

Why are Dragon Quest 4 and Final Fantasy 4 charting even this week and FFVIICC not ;) Don´t kid yourself on NDS the potential to sell more IS bigger, live with it. Just take a look at the installed-base and you see one of many reasons.

Laguna said:
Tales of Symphonia 2s producer destroyed all hopes of a big hit by telling that it would be a spin-off/cash-in esque game. You must be really an idiot to do something like that especially considering that Tales of game sales are driven buy Tales of Fans and most of them actually are Famitsu readers. I would say sef-owned :D Announcing Tales of Vesperia won´t help sales either. It´s a shame that it won´t sell because they actually made up their mind and put much more effort in this game than his statement suggested.
Yeah, shutting up about a game worked very well for Tempest. I'm sure fans also loved how they did it so they are ready for the second strike.

Oh, and the 4/24 release date was bogus after all.

ethelred

iidesuyo said:
Thank you I like you too

Well, I'm not sure what the alternatives are. You say it needs a comparison -- the series was being compared against itself. Your claim was that it's somehow odd for games like Harvest Moon to come out now and chart under 100k in their first week, as if this is an indication that DS sales are being impacted by piracy. But the most recent Harvest Moon game came out for the DS and got the second best opening week in the series' history. So where's the impact? And why is a PSP comparison necessary to note that your original point is laughably off on its face?

Oh, if you really want to know, though, yes, there was a PSP Harvest Moon; it sold less in its entire lifetime than the most recent DS game sold in its first week.

Neomoto

Spiegel said:
It matters because we're comparing sales (or lack of) of PSP and DS and Nintendo don't make psp games.

And S-E sells more on NDS because they have more high profile games on NDS.
Yes I think that pretty much goes without saying when comparing 3rd party sales but you bounce a lot between all the terms, I thought you where talking about the software situation in general on the DS.

Oh and about S-E. Come on, you can say that about anyone. Square Enix is banking more on the DS than any other 3rd party and they have incredible succes on it. If other company's like Capcom or Konami (following your examples) would bank more on DS (like Capcom with Monster Hunter PSP) than it's likely the changes of succes would be far greater than on the PSP.

iidesuyo said:
Uhm.. yeah.. Why do you think it would sell as much on the PSP? Btw, Square Enix aint putting it out on the DS without pretty darn good reason.

Spiegel

Laguna said:
Why are Dragon Quest 4 and Final Fantasy 4 charting even this week and FFVIICC not ;) Don´t kid yourself on NDS the potential to sell more IS bigger, live with it. Just take a look at the installed-base and you see one of many reasons.

FFVIICC has sold more than FFIV and?

iidesuyo

ethelred said:
Well, I'm not sure what the alternatives are. You say it needs a comparison -- the series was being compared against itself. Your claim was that it's somehow odd for games like Harvest Moon to come out now and chart under 100k in their first week, as if this is an indication that DS sales are being impacted by piracy. But the most recent Harvest Moon game came out for the DS and got the second best opening week in the series' history. So where's the impact? And why is a PSP comparison necessary to note that your original point is laughably off on its face?

In general the impact of piracy is not clearly measurable. With Harvest Moon, okay, I don't have all the numbers of all the games in my head. The comparison makes sense in what new PSP releases sell vs. new DS releases, to see how sales are really effected.

Let's say there's a multiple release where the PSP version sells 70k and the DS version 100k, I wouldn't say that piracy has hurt the PSP version here, it simply has only 40% of the DS' userbase.

jarrod said:
Would a GC DQVIII have sold less? Would a Saturn DQVII?

Not sure about Saturn but PSP surely has a far bigger (and still growing fast) user base than GC to support a game like DQ. I am not saying PSP DQ is "better" than a DS one though.

Laguna said:
Why are Dragon Quest 4 and Final Fantasy 4 charting even this week and FFVIICC not ;)

WTF lol. When was CCFF7 released?

RpgN

It's true that games on the NDS can sell amazing, but that doesn't mean psp games are selling horrible. With the ds we are used to monster sales which makes us see others as a big failure. Psp games are selling decent lately, even though there are not many games released on it the last few months. So to the nintendo fanboys claiming the psp games are selling horrible, please stop downgrading the sales. Psp games can sell well too with a little effort. The ds is a monster and nobody can reach it, but the psp is very successful as well.

Top Bottom