• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/24 - 3/30

antiloop said:
360 for 26 410 Japanese yen = 165.652424 Euros
PS3 for 37 581 Japanese yen = 235.720703 Euros
Wii for 23 750 Japanese yen = 148.968007 Euros

Those lucky bastards. :)

Wii in Japan comes with no games bundled

but even with Sports or Fit or Brawl or Galaxy is cheaper than the price here in euroland
:lol

Psychotext said:
Sony really needs to do something with the PS3. Sell it at considerably less than cost if needs be because it's in a whole world of hurt over there.

They need to kill off the PS2 so that any potential sales on the PS2 will shift onto the PS3.

jercruz

sleeping_dragon said:
They need to kill off the PS2 so that any potential sales on the PS2 will shift onto the PS3.

I think they are waiting it out until PS3 picks up just like the PSP now.

Which are good numbers BTW, PSP actually surpassed DS YTD by 50k.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jrricky said:
I expect the sales of the Wii Monster Hunter to be a monster, excuse the pun. Capcom is really backing the series extremely now, and plan to expand its accessibilty. They seem to be planning a huge marketing push for all regions. I am being a little overly optimisic (dont mind the oxy) and expect it to match or do even more than the PSP's counterparts, especially in the west.

Full Ack, ppl who keep underestimating mh tri will get owned 09 ...

jercruz said:
You really think that they're willing to take a risk on the PS3 having anything like the bounceback that the PSP?

cw_sasuke

egocrata said:
4. PS3 - 11,206
5. PS2 - 10,296

Are the streams going to cross?

Seriously, the PS3 is an embarrassment.

just w8 a lil bit more - than wiifit will supass the entire ps3 userbase in japan... damn :lol

One of the things that seems to confuse people most is exchange rates. Many confuse the rates, the value of currencies with standards of living and costs of living.

Let me explain.Bank of Japan has made since early 1990s large scale interventions in the foreign exchange market in order to manipulate exchange rates.Why?

The Japanese asset price bubble(*) lasted until 1990.After the asset bubble collapsed,the Land of the Rising Sun, experienced a long and deep recession virtually unprecedented for a major industrial country since the Second World War and japanese banks were facing massive loan losses.Bank of Japan provided liquidity and manipulated exchange rates in order to revive exports,thus Japanese products became cheaper for foreigners ,-not for the japanese people- to buy as the yen artificially weakened.

Japanese crisis was so deep that they´re were battling DEFLATION when the U.S. subprime problem surfaced,as japanese wages were declining for eight,nine straight years and property decline saw household wealth tumble. Japan´s products didn´t become cheaper for japanese to buy.The weaker yen has created a mighty optical illusion in which a foreign observer sees affordability.

Is the PS3 affordable?No.PS3 is expensive under current conditions. We,of course, compare PS3 price and wages (average wage) of the japanese workers.

Will Japan embrace a cheap PS3?We don´t know.Maybe the damage is irreversible.Maybe,they´re waiting (the most likely scenario).

(*) Apr 4,2008 The Nikkei 225 Stock Average closed at 13,293.22 in Tokyo

Dec 29 ,1989 The Nikkei 225 Stock Average had closed at 38,916 in Tokyo

jercruz said:

Which are good numbers BTW, PSP actually surpassed DS YTD by 50k.

Yeah, and all they had to do was spot Nintendo 13 million sales. Pretty smart strategy for Sony. Every time Nintendo sells a system, they're 1 step closer to running out of buyers, whereas the PSP audience is still almost limitless.

So all Sony has to do is play dead with te PS3 and wait until people get through buying their 2nd Wii. Then it's all Sony country.

sleeping_dragon said:

You're telling me that the people who are right now buying a cheap-as-dirt system with the best gaming library ever are the same people willing to drop the money for a PS3?

Uh... hello?

cw_sasuke said:
just w8 a lil bit more - than wiifit will supass the entire ps3 userbase in japan... damn :lol
Wii Fit: 1,794,000
PS3: 1,988,266

Around 7 weeks based on this week's figures. I was wrong to say it wouldn't outsell it... but I really thought the PS3 would start selling more.

Culex

Banned
sleeping_dragon said:

I honestly don't think that would help. The PS2 isn't exactly selling hardware anymore, either. If people wanted to buy the PS3 in droves, they would have been doing so this year already.

justjohn

first day sales:

star ocean 2 psp 70000
warriors orochi ps2 140000
spirits baseball ps3 38000
spirits baseball ps2 50000

andthebeatgoeson

Pureauthor said:
You're telling me that the people who are right now buying a cheap-as-dirt system with the best gaming library ever are the same people willing to drop the money for a PS3?

Uh... hello?
They are probably more than likely to move to the Wii than any other system (except DS).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SO2 numbers pretty much in line with SO1 numbers. Nice, but not brilliant. Still, a profitable investment and it'll probably keep brand awareness fairly high in the run-up to SO4.

Busaiku

SO2 numbers seem pretty good.
Slightly down from SO1, but that launched around the holiday period.

What were the shipment numbers this time around?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Shiren 3 on Wii has an official date- June 5th. ToS:KoR follows a few weeks later on June 26th.

Should be interesting to see if they can do ok.

Star Ocean 2 numbers are most likely for 2 days since it was released on Wednesday (I'm repeating this so you aren't that surprised when it sells 85k for the week). For Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5, its actually 3 days (Tuesday release).

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Star Ocean 2 numbers are most likely for 2 days since it was released on Wednesday (I'm repeating this so you aren't that surprised when it sells 85k for the week). For Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5, its actually 3 days (Tuesday release).

Thanks for that reminder..I thought PYS5 numbers seemed a bit high

Tenbatsu said:
This game bomb? Thought I heard alot of marketing effort is put into it?
Yeah, it's a big bomb - even with it being a casual title and selling in the long run it'll not reach BBA's numbers. Nintendo can't be happy.

lupin23rd

If something like the new Warriors Orochi and the new Pro Yakyuu Spirits games were ONLY on PS3 instead of being on PS2 (or on both), you'd probably be seeing better PS3 numbers as gamers decide to jump into next gen to get the games.

You probably wouldn't see the full 88000 or whatever that the combined PYS5 sales added up to for the PS3 but you'd have better numbers for sure.

Once the well of PS2 stuff does dry up we'll see if all that support does go to the Wii or if we start seeing more PS3 projects coming out. I think 360 is relegated to Saturn / Dreamcast / Wonderswan niche support at this point.

Did this happen with SFC or did that go out pretty quietly as the new systems came into play?

test_account

XP-39C²
Innotech said:
fair enough.
:)

Tenbatsu said:
rjtj.jpg

This game bomb? Thought I heard alot of marketing effort is put into it?
I was thinking about this game earlier as well. I see its still in within the top 50. I guess its one of those titles that dont sell alot within the first couple of weeks, but that will keep on selling ok/good for over a long period of time, so it might sell good after all eventhough it might take alittle longer time :) Is this a game by the way, or is it "only" the TV guide stuff?

schuelma

skinnyrattler said:
Is panther usually like this or is this something new? Kinda high on your charts, hunh buddy?

Seems kind of punchy lately huh?

iceatcs

SO4 for PSP comfirmed! just kidding, but it is best idea.

anyway nice number for first day. I will never forgive japanese if they manage to kill HD gaming off.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pureauthor said:
So Nintendo fans hear dumber things a lot more often than non-Nintendo fans do?

...I... don't get it.
Post history, agenda, somethingsomething...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
skinnyrattler said:
Is panther usually like this or is this something new? Kinda high on your charts, hunh buddy?

Panther's usually like this, if be this you mean "a lover of attention" and "sarcastic and uses the word schmuck a lot". :lol I think he's pretty open about that being his thing, though.

But if he wasn't like that, he wouldn't be PantherLotus, he'd just be GraphGuy40699.

Stumpokapow said:
Panther's usually like this, if be this you mean "a lover of attention" and "sarcastic and uses the word schmuck a lot". :lol I think he's pretty open about that being his thing, though.

But if he wasn't like that, he wouldn't be PantherLotus, he'd just be GraphGuy40699.

Would that be better or worse than NoGraphGuy1527528665?

Miburou

I was gonna buy Ryuu ga Gotoku Kenzan used, but I guess now I'll buy it new to help its sales (besides, the difference is only 1000 yen). Hope the game has legs like the previous two and manages to do 500K during its lifetime.

cw_sasuke

schuelma said:
Shiren 3 on Wii has an official date- June 5th. ToS:KoR follows a few weeks later on June 26th.

Should be interesting to see if they can do ok.

nice.... shiren3+tos:kor and hopefully fatal frame 4 should be a nice june for wii owners in japan :)

blitz64

Parmenides said:
One of the things that seems to confuse people most is exchange rates. Many confuse the rates, the value of currencies with standards of living and costs of living.

Let me explain.Bank of Japan has made since early 1990s large scale interventions in the foreign exchange market in order to manipulate exchange rates.Why?

The Japanese asset price bubble(*) lasted until 1990.After the asset bubble collapsed,the Land of the Rising Sun, experienced a long and deep recession virtually unprecedented for a major industrial country since the Second World War and japanese banks were facing massive loan losses.Bank of Japan provided liquidity and manipulated exchange rates in order to revive exports,thus Japanese products became cheaper for foreigners ,-not for the japanese people- to buy as the yen artificially weakened.

Japanese crisis was so deep that they´re were battling DEFLATION when the U.S. subprime problem surfaced,as japanese wages were declining for eight,nine straight years and property decline saw household wealth tumble. Japan´s products didn´t become cheaper for japanese to buy.The weaker yen has created a mighty optical illusion in which a foreign observer sees affordability.

Is the PS3 affordable?No.PS3 is expensive under current conditions. We,of course, compare PS3 price and wages (average wage) of the japanese workers.

Will Japan embrace a cheap PS3?We don´t know.Maybe the damage is irreversible.Maybe,they´re waiting (the most likely scenario).

(*) Apr 4,2008 The Nikkei 225 Stock Average closed at 13,293.22 in Tokyo

Dec 29 ,1989 The Nikkei 225 Stock Average had closed at 38,916 in Tokyo

After reading this, I'm even more confused. As of today, I thought the Yen is as strong as ever, atleast compared to the dollar.

So is Japan economy good or bad right now? The US economy is bad but not as bad as after 911.

Also I thought videogames do well even in a bad economy. Atleast it's doing well in the US.

Based on the latest Famitsu data...

PS3 comparisons: After 72 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 16.8 weeks (June 23, 2000), where PSP was at 47.8 weeks (November 4, 2005), where GCN was at 68.5 weeks (January 1, 2003), and where Wii was at 18.1 weeks (April 1, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 69 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 70.3 weeks (July 23, 2002), where DS was at 58.4 weeks (January 10, 2006), where PS2 swas at 92.6 weeks (December 5, 2001), and where PSP was at 136.0 weeks (July 14, 2007).

I notice on this week's Famitsu software pie, PS2 only accounts for 6.7% of software sales. That's its lowest since, uhh... ever? At least the period the data I've got covers.

Based on the latest Media Create data...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 31.2 / 68.8, PSP's third best week by share ever. The two higher are the week of PSP Slim launch, and the week DS shortages dropped it to 10K. This brings total shares to 71.8 / 28.2. At this week's rates PSP catches DS in 190.1 weeks (November 21, 2011). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 104.0 weeks (March 28, 2010).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 18.7 / 81.3, bringing the total shares to 26.0 / 74.0. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 328.7 weeks (July 18, 2014).

Rock_Man, your graphs are great, but they get me all... paredoliac. I see all sorts of faces in there!

Rock_Man said:
It seems Xb360 has now surpassed GBM.
Ohoho, so it has.

Brofist

PantherLotus said:
Actually what he's suggesting (wrongly, in my opinion) is that it's Nintendo has given up because they're so far ahead. Garbage time often sees the loser exploding back at the very end (see college athletics where sportsmanship is supposedly a factor) but this has more to do with pulling the best players out on the winning team while the losing team still has their best players in and they are attempting to save face.

I suppose the analogy works in a few ways.

Give the PSP some credit. The fact that it is outselling the DS is probably due to the flood of DS systems already sold, but the fact that it is selling well period is more to do with people wanting the system.

There is no "garbage time" for systems, if people don't want it they won't buy it. Otherwise Xbox and GC would have had large sales spikes at the later part of last gen when PS2 sales started slowing..but we know that never happened.

Brofist

blitz64 said:
After reading this, I'm even more confused. As of today, I thought the Yen is as strong as ever, atleast compared to the dollar.

So is Japan economy good or bad right now? The US economy is bad but not as bad as after 911.

Also I thought videogames do well even in a bad economy. Atleast it's doing well in the US.

Nothing to do with economy, everything to do with interest level. The PS3 just hasn't captured the mainstream attention of the average Japanese buyer yet. I think things will start to look up as more Japancentric games start to come out and the rental stores finally start to rent blu-ray movies this summer.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PantherLotus said:
Actually what he's suggesting (wrongly, in my opinion) is that it's Nintendo has given up because they're so far ahead. Garbage time often sees the loser exploding back at the very end (see college athletics where sportsmanship is supposedly a factor) but this has more to do with pulling the best players out on the winning team while the losing team still has their best players in and they are attempting to save face.

I suppose the analogy works in a few ways.

kpop100 said:
Give the PSP some credit. The fact that it is outselling the DS is probably due to the flood of DS systems already sold, but the fact that it is selling well period is more to do with people wanting the system.

There is no "garbage time" for systems, if people don't want it they won't buy it. Otherwise Xbox and GC would have had large sales spikes at the later part of last gen when PS2 sales started slowing..but we know that never happened.

I don't need to give the PSP "credit," because I don't care. As I explained in the very post you quoted, I was showing what "garbage time" meant. If I hurt your or your brand-of-choice's feelings, I apologize. If you can't see that perhaps Nintendo has pulled out their heavy hitters and are putting them towards a future product, then shame on you.

If all you want is "credit," you're on the wrong damned forum and in the wrong damn topic. Or just don't quote me with your lame console warz.

Top Bottom