• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AzureNightmareXE said:
BQf93U.jpg
that's its happy face?

Xeke

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
Other than the DS (which is a monster), low sales this week (same with the software).

What are the LTD sales for the Game Boy and Game Boy Color in Japan (seperate, not combined)? I want to know if the DS has become Nintendo's best selling handheld in Japan yet (I know it hasn't worldwide, the DS is at about 40 million while the GBA is over 70 million).

It has outsold the GBA LTD but I doubt GB/GBC.

Odysseus

Banned
AniHawk said:
And then it's another 3 months until it hits that legendary 1,000,000 mark milestone!

1. release ps3 in japan.
2. inform japanese people that ps3 is, in fact, available for purchase.
3. ...
4. ...
5. ...
6. ...
7. :|
8. ...
9. ...
10. ...
11. :/
12. ...
13. madden nfl 07
14. ...
15. hey japan, ps3. in stores.
16. ...
17. ...
18. ...
19. 1 million units sold
20. profits

AniHawk

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Wait, it's going to take until SEPTEMBER to break a million?

Woa.

Well if it sells, on average, 8.5k a week for the next 13 weeks.... Yeah.

By that same time, if the wii sells only 50k on average, it will have broken 3m.

EDIT: Er... yeah. August.

Cheesemeister said:
Early August, actually. Twelve weeks = 3 months. It's May. 5 + 3 = 8.
Yes, but Anihawk's calcs say that it'd take three months from NEXT week. Thus, I reasoned the end of August/start of September.

EDIT: Oh wait, I redid the math... So, should I hand in my geek squad gun and badge now, or at the end of this shift?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Someone make a ytmnd. With that simple plan song (bleh) and the ps3 charts

That "how could this happen to me" one.

Get a picture of Kutaragi crying too and I'll be most pleased

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think Sony forgot to make first party games for the Japanese market.

This shows the obvious following:

Sony, overconfident about their success in Japan with the PS2, saw MS as their "true" and only future competitor, hence focussed on the development of first-party titles for the US and European markets (development time that took 3 years or more for most of those games, hence back at a time when Sony had no idea about the Wii and DS' potential).

Now Sony has nothing to sell its console in Japan, Nintendo is eating their share of the market over there, and their console is too expensive anyway so MS keep its lead.

Yep. To think that some people at Sony couldn't see it coming with all the money they are paid, yet we could.

WE RULE THIS INDUSTRY.

Sharp

Ether_Snake said:
I think Sony forgot to make first party games for the Japanese market.

This shows the obvious following:

Sony, overconfident about their success in Japan with the PS2, saw MS as their "true" and only future competitor, hence focussed on the development of first-party titles for the US and European markets (development time that took 3 years or more for most of those games, hence back at a time when Sony had no idea about the Wii and DS' potential).

Now Sony has nothing to sell its console in Japan, Nintendo is eating their share of the market over there, and their console is too expensive anyway so MS keep its lead.

Yep. To think that some people at Sony couldn't see it coming with all the money they are paid, yet we could.

WE RULE THIS INDUSTRY.
What are you talking about? GAF thought the same thing. Haven't you read any of the recent crow threads?

Pretty much everyone thought Sony was going to win. EVERYONE. And you could count the number who thought Nintendo would win on one hand.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sharp said:
What are you talking about? GAF thought the same thing. Haven't you read any of the recent crow threads?

Pretty much everyone thought Sony was going to win. EVERYONE. And you could count the number who thought Nintendo would win on one hand.

Three years ago yeah maybe, but Sony could have still adjusted their aim over the past year, which they have not done.

EDIT: I still think that the industry is going to hit a big wall soon. They invested a lot in expensive next-gen development but will make no profit with said games. They'll shift their focus all at the same time, compete with one another in a rush as they try to quickly make their money back but will end up releasing shovelware on the Wii and DS, hence lose more money, while Nintendo continues to sit on its expanding money cloud.

these threads are getting noticeably um... less exciting as far as debates go.

it almost seems like there's half as many people posting as before.

Odysseus

Banned
imastalker co. said:

this stage is called acceptance

AniHawk

imastalker co. said:

3 years ago, these didn't get past 50 posts unless it was a big week.

I just think that Sony has so many different projects on their plate, and a horrible organizational structure to complicate matters further, to the point where there is really nobody behind the wheel there anymore. Microsoft and Nintendo are focused and ready. Everything that those two companies do in the gaming sphere lately just makes sense. Sony almost appears to be caught off guard. They spent so much time working on the hardware that they simply didn't have any software to back it up. Is there REALLY a reason to buy a PS3 right now? I don't see a single game that I, as a gamer, want to own right now on the PS3.

In the end it always comes down to a question of value: Do gamers see a reason to spend $600+ on a PS3 right now? Apparently the answer is no. That is why a price drop simply isn't going to happen. Sony knows that a $100 drop in price isn't going to make people suddenly want a system with no games.

PS360

Banned
Hey, hey, did anyone say this yet...?

"Wow what are those PS2 games doing in Nintendo's top 100 list...LAWLZ"

did anyone say that?

Oh damn, someone said that :(

xabre

Banned
Saw the hw sales, Wii remains practically the same but I got dissapointed when I saw the PS3 go back up to 10k.

Then I realised I was looking at the PS2 :lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This Week Sales:

mc-sales-070514.jpg

Since 11/27/07:
25 Total Weeks of Next Gen sales.
19 Total Weeks of post-holiday sales.

360 - Established Trend: 2-4k. Next Gen Avg = 7,535. Post Holiday Avg = 4,181.
Wii - Back to cycle: 55-78k. Next Gen Avg = 99,062. Post Holiday Avg = 71,662.
PS3 - Falling Trend: 8-13k. Next Gen Avg = 35,684. Post Holiday Avg = 19,190.

mc-weekly-25.jpg

mc-LTDs-25.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
● The 360's sales are insignificant. 2k-5k per week for the foreseeable future.

● The PS3's sales are insignificant. 6-12k per week for the foreseeable future.

● The Wii's sales definitely reflect the slowest console week of the year. Still outsold the competition 6-1. Should hover between 50k-70k for the summer.

Expectations for 05/21-05/27
360 - 2.5k*
Wii - 61k <-- Overestimated by 14k last week
PS3 - 9k*

* = within 1.8k estimation success the previous week.

This Week's Market Share:

mc-marketshare-070514.jpg

LTD Market Share Week-to-Week

Code:
Date____               360             Wii             PS3
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
01/22-01/28:            13%             60%             26%
01/29-02/04:            13%             61%             26%
02/05-02/11:            13%             61%             26%
02/12-02/18:            13%             62%             26%
02/19-02/25:            12%             62%             25%
03/26-03/04:            12%             62%             26%
03/05-03/11:            12%             62%             26%
03/12-03/18:            11%             62%             26%
03/19-03/25:            11%             63%             26%
03/26-04/01:            11%             63%             26%
04/02-04/08:            11%             63%             26%
04/09-04/15:            11%             64%             26%
04/16-04/22:            10%             64%             25%
04/23-04/29:            10%             65%             25%
04/30-05/06:            10%             66%             24%
05/07-05/13:            10%             66%             24%
05/14-05/20:            10%             66%             24%

Significant Notes:
&#9679; The Wii has extended its lead to 1,584,440 over the PS3.
&#9679; Slowest console week this year in Japan @ 62.8k units. Wii had 83% of all console sales.
&#9679; The PS3 will presumably hit 900k units the same week that the Wii hits 2.5 million units sold.
&#9679; The Wii should officially have two-thirds (67%) market share after next week.

Thoughts
It's getting predictable, and it has been. Nothing I could add here would make it more interesting other than some wacky predictions or outlandish claims. I can summarize, if you'd like?

1. It's over.
2. Price Cut.
3. I'm coining the term PSthree-make. As in, when they re-release it. This term will me more widely recognized than my previous coinage, the Gundabump.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah, just check some of the archived MC threads on here and you see some usernames that you haven't seen in a long time.

And thanks as always for the graphs Panther.

Top Bottom