• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20

sphinx

the piano man
Eteric Rice said:
And then when the sales drop again, they'll leave.

Amirite?

well, if the gamecube fanbase is any indication, PS3 fans seem to be in acceptance phase now. After the good software comes they'll reappear but you'll only see topics like

" For a flop console, I am sure as hell having a great time "
" amazing and underrated, PS3 little gem "
" with games like (insert good game here) in march, I will endure the summer drought easily!! "

damn, it's really sad...

skinnyrattler said:
As to JoshJ's prediction of the DS/PS2 meetup, I was just thinking about the inevitable sales boost in Nov/Dec that will move that date up into 07.
Definitely. The date has usually been late 2007 recently, but this "low" week of 111K for DS gives a 2008 date. It's quite possible the meetup will happen before November, too.

D.Lo

sphinx said:
serious, I haven't seen a a member of the Sony defense force in the last weeks appear anywhere in the forum.

there are some neutral members, with passive positivism but the hardcore sony fanbase is just avoiding the forums, I think. In that sense they are smarter than the nintendo fanbase that was humilliated throughout the gamecube years.

" nintendo will comeback with Mario DDR ".... and similar quotes certainly didn't help the situation back then, maybe the SDF learned how to avoid being delusional.
I think the difference is how much worse it is for Sony. Nintendo fans always had at least these two comebacks 'Nintendo still makes a lot of profit' and 'GBA is still king'. Sony fans have neither of these points, they have losses, a marginalised handheld, and a fading last-gen console as their only bright spot. Not to mention the fact that the PS3 is doing far, far worse then the Gamecube, especially in software.

Nintendo fans were also conditioned by the N64, they weren't falling straight from the NES to the GCN, and most of the generation the fight was for second place - nobody in their right mind thought Nintendo would 'beat' Sony after 2001.

Not really Japanese themed, but the real comparison would be between MS and Nintendo fans, since that was the main fight most of last gen. Ignoring Sony, the Wii will breeze past the 360 in a couple of months worldwide to who knows what heights. So while we're concentrating on the main turnaround, this other one was the psychological fanboy battle for 2001-2005, and it's being missed.

Vinnk

justchris said:
Well, let's see, all they're gonna have is DQIX and SSBB so...****. Nintendo wins again.

What's really weird is that Nintendo sort of won TGS last year. And they wern't even there! Sony and MS had amazing displays and tons of games. If you look at pictures, it seems they definately won. Nintendo didn't have a booth and had only 3rd party games on the floor and no one was allowed to touch them. Still, listening to conversations in the press room, everyone was talking about was the Wii. Some people loved it and some hated it but either way it was often the main subject of discussion. Add that to the fact that there were PS3 games like Coded Arms on display which were simply awful (it crashed on me during my review session).

MS had a great showing but they should have had more demo stations for Blue Dragon and less for DOAX2. The wait was 3 hours for Blue Drangon (On press day!) and like 10 minutes for.. well.. almost everything else they were showing (other than Lost Planet).

By not showing up and not letting people play, Nintendo actually added to the hype. This is before any Japanese press (that didn't go to E3) had ever touched the system and everyone wanted to. Now with Nintendo actually being there, that place is gonna explode!

Pachael

speedpop said:
Yeah, just check some of the archived MC threads on here and you see some usernames that you haven't seen in a long time.

And thanks as always for the graphs Panther.

A fair bunch of them are in the Blu-Ray 'YES we're thrashing HD-DVD MUAHAHA' thread. And more in the 'NO WAI MGS4' threads, the 'Multiplatform no way dude' and the 'Halo copying Resistance loserzzz' threads.

Which is why MC (and even NPD) threads are quiet these days. It's really the ONE CONSOLE FUTURE, but it's the wrong one.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Don't be foolish about these threads--they're getting very consistent readership and cyclical postings since the start of the new generation.

mc-thread-interest.jpg

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
skinnyrattler said:
As to JoshJ's prediction of the DS/PS2 meetup, I was just thinking about the inevitable sales boost in Nov/Dec that will move that date up into 07.

Well PS2 will get a boost too. Then again, DS's boosts generally mean 3 to 600k a week, so yeah, it'll pass it.

It's weird how dead the PS2 is in Japan when in the US, it's still doing really well. Of course even the GBA is doing much better in the US than in japan. about 20k a week. Older systems just die slower in the US.

"One Console Future"

I've heard that term bandied around in my time here, but since I only heard about this place during the news rush that was E3 '06 (I'm a lapsed gamer who got sucked back into gaming by the DS), I never actually found out where it originated. Would any of you GAF veterans care to illuminate?

Vinnk

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Older systems just die slower in the US.

I disagree. That is a recent trend. Historically systems live much longer in Japan. Look at the Dreamcast. Or SNES with that very late release Fire Emblem games. Or how they only stopped selling Famicom systems a few years ago. I does however seem they are more willing to jump on the newest trends though.

Tailzo

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
"One Console Future"

I've heard that term bandied around in my time here, but since I only heard about this place during the news rush that was E3 '06 (I'm a lapsed gamer who got sucked back into gaming by the DS), I never actually found out where it originated. Would any of you GAF veterans care to illuminate?

I heard that from Denis (developer of Tpp Human). Not sure if he started it though.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Well PS2 will get a boost too. Then again, DS's boosts generally mean 3 to 600k a week, so yeah, it'll pass it.

It's weird how dead the PS2 is in Japan when in the US, it's still doing really well. Of course even the GBA is doing much better in the US than in japan. about 20k a week. Older systems just die slower in the US.
Yeah, PS2's holiday boost will be... not so much in Japan. Even in late 2006 the peak PS2 week was 52,037, slightly less than what Wii is this week. Down from a peak of 97,475 in late 2005. Maybe late December this year PS2 will hit 30K?
Vinnk said:
I disagree. That is a recent trend. Historically systems live much longer in Japan. Look at the Dreamcast.
The odd shmup release years after its demise don't change that its demise was years ago. It was down to 5K/week by the time it even got around to launching in the US.

lupin23rd

Vinnk said:
Add that to the fact that there were PS3 games like Coded Arms on display which were simply awful (it crashed on me during my review session).

Is that game still coming out? I heard it was cancelled (or that it wasn't on the cancelled list) but can't remember. And then I hard that the cancelled games weren't actually cancelled, it was all so confusing!

I'm not really a SDF member (didn't own a PS1 or a PS2), but I think the future isn't all as bleak as you guys make it out to be. I think once Sigma hits, hardware sales will bump up (as in up to 10-15000) for the next 6 weeks or so as there is some software coming out. I think there are still a lot of games that have been announced but not unveiled, so we'll see how that plays out. If August continues that trend, the Wii might only be a 4 or 5 to 1 victor.

Maybe it's just the fact that my last three consoles are Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Saturn that's giving me optimism because I enjoyed those consoles a lot :)

m

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
"One Console Future"

Drinky

Need i say more?

Evlar

Banned
"One Console Future"

"One console future" has been around for a long time.

It happened.

I pray it doesn't happen again.

Empty_One

Deku said:
I scanned the last 100 posts. Do we have an update on vinnk ? re: proposal

Well, if she said yes, he's probably a little busy 'celebrating', if she said no, his heads probably in an oven.

Tailzo said:
I heard that from Denis (developer of Tpp Human). Not sure if he started it though.
Don't think it was. I just looked him up and the interview he said it in took place AFTER E3 '06. Sonycowboy was shouting "One Console Future" in the Wiimote unveiling thread, so it didn't originate with him.

Empty_One said:
Well, if she said yes, he's probably a little busy 'celebrating', if she said no, his heads probably in an oven.
Well, he just posted 10 minutes ago, so I'm thinking it won't go down until later.

EDIT: And to add a point of agreement, yeah, I always associated "one console future" with Drinky.

Vinnk

JoshuaJSlone said:
The odd shmup release years after its demise don't change that its demise was years ago. It was down to 5K/week by the time it even got around to launching in the US.

There will still actual big name games being released after the system was left for dead in the US. (Sakura Taisen 4, SNK vs. Capcom 2, Guilty Gear X). But yeah, you are right, a few great games now and agan does not a system make. Sony is learning this now.

Vinnk

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, he just posted 10 minutes ago, so I'm thinking it won't go down until later.

I am on Japan time. It's 2:00pm here and we are both still at our various jobs (yes I get paid for reading GAF). Things will go down tonight.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Vinnk said:
I disagree. That is a recent trend. Historically systems live much longer in Japan. Look at the Dreamcast. Or SNES with that very late release Fire Emblem games. Or how they only stopped selling Famicom systems a few years ago. I does however seem they are more willing to jump on the newest trends though.

By die i meant more of sales becoming insignificant, not so much releases. I'm curious what the US/Japan difference was for the DC and famicom when they started their insignificance.

Evlar

Banned
Oh hey Vinnk. I was out watching Pirates of the Caribbean, so I've just now read your report. And I'm now wishing you luck.

Vinnk

GreenGlowingGoo said:
By die i meant more of sales becoming insignificant, not so much releases. I'm curious what the US/Japan difference was for the DC and famicom when they started their insignificance.

Yeah, I read that wrong. The Neo Geo AES still had game releases into 2004 but no one was delusional enough to believe it was still a significant system.

I still bought Matrimelee and Metal Slug 5 though....

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Branduil said:
s_20070514.png

Are there charts somewhere on this image?

Whats amazing about the weekly pie-chart is that PS3 has reached a point where the slice is too thin to post any numbers on! :lol

Drinky Crow, huh? I should have known. I wasn't around during his reign of terror (the height of which was Thursdayton), but its legacy haunts us still.

His trolling of Odin Sphere is a weak effort though. He seems to have lost his touch.

Eteric Rice

Drinky Crow, huh? I should have known. I wasn't around during his reign of terror (the height of which was Thursdayton), but its legacy haunts us still.

His trolling of Odin Sphere is a weak effort though. He seems to have lost his touch.

What exactly is Thursdayton, anyway?

BrodiemanTTR said:
Not really. Third parties are dumb and hate money. Expect to see a lot of PS3 and 360 announcements.

Yeah, and it's really starting to piss me off. It's like devs are ignoring us. Bastards...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Vinnk said:
I am on Japan time. It's 2:00pm here and we are both still at our various jobs (yes I get paid for reading GAF). Things will go down tonight.
Then I have a chance of not being to late wishing you luck =). Good luck!

Sales... uhm.. are not that interesting this week as it's a pretty low week and PS3 was sub-10k last week, too.

Eteric Rice said:
What exactly is Thursdayton, anyway?
It was during one of the slower E3's where not much news was being laid out. So Drinky Crow posts a thread entitled: Thursdayton. The only thing the OP contained was the word "Believe!"

Many, many posts of feverish, server-breaking speculation later (stoked by the occasional nudge from Drinky), mostly by good-news-starved Nintendo fans, people realised it was all a big hoax. There was no Thursdayton.

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, and it's really starting to piss me off. It's like devs are ignoring us. Bastards...
Give them a few more months of sub-10k Media Create and sub-100k NPDs and they'll come. Just be patient.

Could the 360 actually outsell the PS3 next week?

If Forza 2 (9/9/9/9 from Famitsu) drives just 6k more in 360 sales, it could.

Evlar

Banned
zallaaa said:
again? would it be too high a risk for sony to definitely drop the ps2 in japan? it could push people in buying the ps3...
The risk would be more retailers dropping the PS3 and PSP, or at the very least pushing them back into a less favorable merchandizing position.

Vinnk

Tyrannical said:

Forza 2 is a great game. And lots of current 360 owners will probably buy it. But it's no system buying app. I can't imagine anyone who will buy the system to play that game. However a people considering a 360 for Blue Dragon or Trusty Bell might be pushed over the edge by it. But not 6000 people.

Then again who knows maybe 4000 more people will get the 360 this week and 2000 less people decide on a PS3.

I wouldn't put money on it. But I would definately read the MC thread with increased interest.

RBH

Tyrannical said:

I just want to see the 360 outsell the PS3 for at least one week in Japan just to see the reaction on GAF. :lol :D

Odysseus

Banned
It was during one of the slower E3's where not much news was being laid out. So Drinky Crow posts a thread entitled: Thursdayton. The only thing the OP contained was the word "Believe!"

Many, many posts of feverish, server-breaking speculation later (stoked by the occasional nudge from Drinky), mostly by good-news-starved Nintendo fans, people realised it was all a big hoax. There was no Thursdayton.

Give them a few more months of sub-10k Media Create and sub-100k NPDs and they'll come. Just be patient.

it didn't help that a ficticious internet personality named aries had nintendo fans all up in a fervor leading into e3. i believe that was actually phoenixdark. and there was also johnny nightfraud who created a lot of drama with his attention whoredom. thursdayton was just the icing on the cake.

Tyrannical said:

no

Eteric Rice said:
Hopefully.

But I doubt it'll stay at 10k forever. :|
It doesn't have to. It just have to stay low enough for their big games to make dismal profits (or worse, losses).

I'm almost certain that there are many unannounced Japanese projects currently underway for the Wii. It's just that the third parties are waiting for:

1) Moneyhats from Sony
2) Some kind of turnaround for the PS3 before an arbitrary date
3) The perfect time to build up hype for release

Don't be surprised to see more and more cancelled PS3 projects in favour of Wii releases. Just give it time.

phez said:
this is the first time i've realized the 360 is at 40% of the PS3's numbers.

imo, thats quite the ****ing feat.
I disagree, remember that percentage shrinks from week to week. As sad as PS3's performance is atm you'd be foolhardy to believe 360 has an actual chance to keep that percentage of PS3's sales.

Odysseus

Banned
when is nintendo going to get some new production capacity, or have they done so already?

the way things are going, i wonder if they'll even be able to stockpile enough units to have the monster holiday season we all expect them to have.

of course, they could be stockpiling units already, for all i know.

Aeris130

Seems like the 360 passing PS3 is the only thing that still would be worth talking about nowadays.

Odysseus said:
the way things are going, i wonder if they'll even be able to stockpile enough units to have the monster holiday season we all expect them to have.

of course, they could be stockpiling units already, for all i know.

There's always the Wii DVD-edition coming out around christmas, so I don't think they'll have any issues selling hardware.

Edit-

wtf, no gifs?

tanked.gif

Top Bottom