• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/19 - 5/25

Paracelsus

ksamedi said:
FF will probably sell a lot of PS3's, but people will sell it right back after they finish it.

Well, they'll have to keep it for sixth month at least, since Versus XIII is not going to be released the same time as FFXIII.

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
Every poster trying to stir up shit is only giving his opinion if you ask him.

Anyways not really something to ponder about for a long time. One less stupid poster is always a good thing in my book.
I am sorry for the late reply, i forgot to check the thread in some days. Ye, if his intention was to stir things up, then i agree that its not the best thing to do :\

Datschge

Wrt PS3 vs GC it's interesting to see how GC's third holyday is its biggest post launch one. PS3 at the current rate will have a hard time to pass that bump (but once it does the PS3 vs GC comparison is dead).

2006-11-06

Ashhong

Datschge said:
Wrt PS3 vs GC it's interesting to see how GC's third holyday is its biggest post launch one. PS3 at the current rate will have a hard time to pass that bump (but once it does the PS3 vs GC comparison is dead).

2006-11-06

the difference i think is the wii. was the PS2 as dominant and crazy selling as the wii is now? the PS3 has to fight off the wii in japan, which is just cant do, whereas the gamecube had to fight the ps2. i dont think im getting my point across, but i just dont think gcn vs ps3 argument is valid ever.

Anth

Ashhong said:
the difference i think is the wii. was the PS2 as dominant and crazy selling as the wii is now? the PS3 has to fight off the wii in japan, which is just cant do, whereas the gamecube had to fight the ps2. i dont think im getting my point across, but i just dont think gcn vs ps3 argument is valid ever.
Why not? They are remarkably close. They have failed for different reasons, but that goes without saying.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ashhong said:

seriously?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jesusraz said:
It was actually 400,000, which isn't too bad considering Tales of Innocence managed to get through more than its initial 150,000 unit shipment and then some. Bandai Namco has also said the feedback to the game was very positive, which they felt bodes well for the future. Clearly Tempest was a big mistake, but Innocence has laid down a strong foundation for a Tales resurrection on DS. If this third Tales DS hits around the holiday period without the threat of a FF or DQ DS remake then it could stand a much greater chance of hitting 300,000+ easily.

If anything I am very bitter about Innocence not getting released, and from the financial reports it is quite clear that they have ZERO intention of releasing this new "ZOMG AMAZING" tales game in the USA. I bet with our luck it will be a Team Destiny game, and it will probably be an amazing experience that will never see the light of day.

I used to hate when people used the moniker "scamco" but the treatment of the tales franchise on the PSP and the DS makes me believe it more and more every day.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hcoregamer00 said:
If anything I am very bitter about Innocence not getting released, and from the financial reports it is quite clear that they have ZERO intention of releasing this new "ZOMG AMAZING" tales game in the USA. I bet with our luck it will be a Team Destiny game, and it will probably be an amazing experience that will never see the light of day.

I used to hate when people used the moniker "scamco" but the treatment of the tales franchise on the PSP and the DS makes me believe it more and more every day.

Why? They have deserved the Scamco moniker since forever.

donny2112

Thanks for working to make your graphs workable as pictures, JoshuaJSlone!

The Great DS Saturation Chart

2007-02-01

The Famitsu version of PantherLotus's Legs chart.

You've Got Legs?

Mario+Kart+Wii

botticus

donny2112 said:
Thanks for working to make your graphs workable as pictures, JoshuaJSlone!

The Great DS Saturation Chart
Seems Sony was lucky to make a profit on the PS2, it had pretty much reached its saturation point after its first couple years on the market.

D.Lo

Ashhong said:
Surely it's the other way around - the PS2 was the straight successor to the last winner (PS1) and was already entrenched as the obvious victor when the GCN launched (and the GCN's unfortunate launch date in Sep 2001 didn't help). Whereas the Wii came out AFTER the PS3 and had to build its brand from nothing. That the PS3 is behind the GCN given all this is frankly staggering. It pretty much defines failure.

The far more relevant difference is the DS, which swept in and changed the Japanese market forever.

Jiggy

Hcoregamer00 said:
I'm in the same boat. It used to seem petty and juvenile to me, but, you know... after failing to get Eternia, failing to get Innocence, and (almost a 100% chance of) failing to get Rebirth, forget it. I don't care who says what anymore about Scamco. I just want my games. :/

it is quite clear that they have ZERO intention of releasing this new "ZOMG AMAZING" tales game in the USA. I bet with our luck it will be a Team Destiny game, and it will probably be an amazing experience that will never see the light of day.
I'm thinking probably, probably, and probably to these three propositions. :(

Did you guys just start playing Tales games with Symphonia and never pay attention to Namco before that or something? They've been failing to localize significant numbers of perfectly good Tales games since 1997 (being generous and giving ToP SFAM as a freebie) and cutting content out of US releases since 1998. Namco published three RPG series last generation and the only entry that had a good localization, no cut content and no major bugs was the one that Nintendo took over publication for. They've always more than deserved the "Scamco" name.

Jiggy

charlequin said:
Did you guys just start playing Tales games with Symphonia and never pay attention to Namco before that or something?
Actually, yeah, that's exactly how it went for me. I didn't pay enough attention to the game industry to have noticed Destiny at its initial release, sadly enough. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Let's be perfectly honest here. Heavy coverage by IGN and Nintendo Power and fairly strong sales of ToS in the states put Tales on the map over here. Without that game I could easily have seen Tales never making another US appearence as the first couple of PSX games went nowhere.

Lightning said:
GT5, FFXIII, Versus XIII will have to be massive failures for this to happen. Sony and Square's worst nightmare come reality.
Well PS3 does follow a certain trend, bumps for big releases that do not change the general trend of the hardware. Of course a lot of people might spring for FFXIII for instance but why would it permanently bump the hardware? The FF fanbase is limited after all.

No, that's not very likely. Why would the Japanese buy PS3's for a small fraction of a game, which was charged out the ass for I might add, when the actual main game doesn't come for a good 15+ mths later?
That might be it.

Paracelsus said:
Hm, I say no. Not all people pretend to not know it is a full priced demo.

Same for FFXIII.

"I'll get a PS3 for Final Fantasy!" *gets a PS3* "When does it get released?" "2009" " ._.' "

With no release in sight, I'm inclined to believe nobody has bought the console for their favorite game yet.
For this theory to be true we would've seen bigger and lasting bumps for all the established huge franchises that saw a PS3 release. It's not like fanbases for different games do not have intersections.

Anth said:
How do Media Create and Famitsu track those by the way? Are they counted as normal sales, and then the used consoles aren't? If so, then I guess FFXIII will cause a strong bump, but decrease sales the weeks afterwards.
Why wouldn't they be normal sales? Used sales are not tracked.

HK-47 said:
Right cause Prologue, a piece of the full game, will pull everyone in for a massive franchise like GT.
Well it's only anecdotal but a friend of mine wants to get a PS3 for the new GT (referring to GT5:p). He is a casual gamer though.

Anyways, no one is doubting it'll bump PS3 hardware, what people are doubting is the size of the bump and the long time effect - I'm inclined to agree.

Tmac

Im wondering. As the 360 is already pretty low, why microsft dont slash the price tag in japan to about half normal price? It's already selling terrible bad, it wont affect much their earnings, and might give a much needed boost before it dies for good.

jarrod

Banned
charlequin said:
Did you guys just start playing Tales games with Symphonia and never pay attention to Namco before that or something? They've been failing to localize significant numbers of perfectly good Tales games since 1997 (being generous and giving ToP SFAM as a freebie) and cutting content out of US releases since 1998. Namco published three RPG series last generation and the only entry that had a good localization, no cut content and no major bugs was the one that Nintendo took over publication for. They've always more than deserved the "Scamco" name.
To be fair, I remember reading (waaaaay back... when it was just GAF) that TOD2 got SCEA cockblocked.

And hey, they did Radiant Mythology... not exactly unreasonable to expect they'd do Innocence if they bothered with a dungeon crawl spinoff for PSP six months earlier, wouldn't you say?

cress2000

jarrod said:
To be fair, I remember reading (waaaaay back... when it was just GAF) that TOD2 got SCEA cockblocked.

I've never heard of this. But I do seem to clearly recall reading a post from Victor Ireland on the Working Designs forum years ago mentioning that he tried to acquire a license for ToD2 and was (of course) cockblocked by Namco.

AugustDivision said:
no numbers still?

Every. Single. Week.

Actually, yeah, that's exactly how it went for me. I didn't pay enough attention to the game industry to have noticed Destiny at its initial release, sadly enough. :(

So basically you were annoyed at people doing something but didn't bother to actually find out why they were doing said something?

Next you'll wonder why the MMBN hardcore refer to CoA as 'Crapcom of America'. :p

kswiston

cress2000 said:
I've never heard of this. But I do seem to clearly recall reading a post from Victor Ireland on the Working Designs forum years ago mentioning that he tried to acquire a license for ToD2 and was (of course) cockblocked by Namco.

I have a hard time believing this when Disgaea kicked off a stream of low budget jrpg/srpg releases in the United States less than a year after TOD2 saw its Japanese debut. Unless SCEA had a massive change of heart a couple months later, why would they deny TOD2 but then turn around and OK even lower budget 2-D rpgs for North American PS2 release?

EDIT: and even if that was true, it doesn't explain why we didn't get Tales of Rebirth.

Finally. ;)

PSP: 55.000
Wii: 45.000
DSL: 37.000
PS3: 8.700
PS2: 6.600
360: 1.700

1.) Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 3 (PSP) 109.000 [109.000]
2.) Endless Frontier: Super Robot Wars OG Saga (NDS) 90.000 [90.000]
3.) Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 50.000 [1.412.000]
4.) D.C. II P.S. (PS2) 45.000 [45.000]
5.) Wii Fit (Wii) 45.000 [2.129.000]
6.) Monster Hunter P. 2nd G. (PSP) 41.000 [2.210.000]
7.) Family Trainer (Wii) 37.000 [37.000]
8.) Valhalla Knights 2 (PSP) 35.000 [35.000]
9.) Mana-Khemia 2 (PS2) 31.000 [31.000]
10.) Clanned (PSP) 29.000 [29.000]

11.) Beatmania II DX 14 GOLD (PS2) 22.000 [22.000]
12.) Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness (NDS) 20.000 [20.000]
13.) Pace & Figure: Brainstorm Training: Ku-Tore (NDS) 20.000 [20.000]
14.) Mario Kart DS (NDS) 14.000 [3.075.000]
15.) Meccha Taiko Drum Master DS: Adventure in Seven Islands (NDS) 13.000 [178.000]
16.) Wii Sports (Wii) 13.000 [2.962.000]
17.) Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (PS3) 13.000 [13.000]
18.) DS Beautiful Letter Training (DS) 12.000 [257.000]
19.) Lost Planet: Colonies (360) 12.000 [12.000]
20.) Wonder & Science: Problem-Solving Training: Nazo-Tore (NDS) 12.000 [12.000]
21.) Battalion Wars 2 (Wii) 11.000 [52.000]
22.) Toga-Inu no Chi: True Blood (PS2) 11.000 [11.000]
23.) Pro Baseball Team wo Tsukurou! (NDS) 11.000 [71.000]
24.) Glory of Heracles (NDS) 10.000 [35.000]
25.) Wii Play (Wii) 10.000 [2.367.000]
26.) We're Fossil Diggers (DS) 9.900 [130.000]
27.) Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage (NDS) 9.000 [551.000]
28.) Link's Crossbow Training (Wii) 8.600 [177.000]
29.) Bleach: Heat the Soul 5 (PSP) 7.300 [62.000]
30.) New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) 5.300 [5.187.000]

xx.) Turok (PS3) 4.300
xx.) Memories Off 2nd (PSP) 4.000
xx.) Fushigi Yugi Suzaku Ibun (PS2) 4.000
xx.) Memories Off (PSP) 3.800
xx.) Overlord (360) 3.400
xx.) Battle Fantasia (PS3) 3.100
xx.) Shumatsu Syoujyo Gensou Alicematic ~Apocalipse~ (PS2) 3.100
xx.) Battle Fantasia (360) 2.300
xx.) English of the Dead (NDS) 1.500
xx.) Hana-Yoi Romanesque (PS2) 1.400
xx.) Thirteen's Job-Placement Office (NDS) 1.200
xx.) Sudoku DS: Nicoli's Sudoku Authorized Edition (NDS) 800
xx.) Super Lite 2500: Journey of Quiz: Tetsudou Ryojyou Hen (NDS) 590

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, seems like English of the Dead was a major flop in terms of sales. How good is the actual game though?

kswiston

Also, SSBB has fallen out of the top 30. After a great hold this week, MKWii should have no problem overtaking it by the end of the year.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:
Good lord.

Hey, New Super Mario Bros. needs some of that shock and awe too! How close is it now to beating the original Super Mario Bros.? Still over a million to go?

Spiegel

1.) Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 3 (PSP) 109.000 [109.000]

Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable - 38.836 -> 150.431 LTD
Jikkyou Power Pro Yakyuu Portable 2 - 27.213 -> 118.126 LTD

Valhalla Knights 2 (PSP) 35.000 [35.000]

Valhalla Knights - 14.089 -> 67.966 LTD

Not bad

SovanJedi said:
Hey, New Super Mario Bros. needs some of that shock and awe too! How close is it now to beating the original Super Mario Bros.? Still over a million to go?

First, remember that MKDS came out a good bit earlier than NSMB. And it's still selling more on a weekly basis. It's never going to beat NSMB LTD, but wow at those legs.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
D.Lo said:
Surely it's the other way around - the PS2 was the straight successor to the last winner (PS1) and was already entrenched as the obvious victor when the GCN launched (and the GCN's unfortunate launch date in Sep 2001 didn't help). Whereas the Wii came out AFTER the PS3 and had to build its brand from nothing. That the PS3 is behind the GCN given all this is frankly staggering. It pretty much defines failure.

The far more relevant difference is the DS, which swept in and changed the Japanese market forever.
I disagree with that, Wii very much rode the wave DS created with the whole non-gaming success, revival of Nintendo brands, etc. PS3 was the machine fighting against the market, released to people who didn't want it.

kswiston

Case said:
Only cause there were so many new releases though

Maybe, but considering NSMB is in 30th place with all of 5300 units, that doesn't bode well for its late legs. SSBB isn't at 1.7M yet. At 5k/wk average it will take a year and a half for it to hit 2M. I knew that it would be a lot more front loaded than most people were predicting (people were throwing out 4M+ LTD after the week 1 total), but even I thought it would eventually hit 2.5M.

Monster Hunter Portable 2G and Wii fit continue their battle for first place in 2008 YTD sales. Monster hunter still has a healthy lead, but I expect it to eventually stop selling, allowing Wii fit to close the distance. If MHP2G can break 2.5M before December, it still has a good shot at first place (second if DQIX actually ships). If not, Wii Fit will probably overtake it.

Speaking of Wii Fit, who thinks that Wii Fit will end up being the best selling (non-portable) game this generation? At this rate it will pass Wii Sports' LTD by the end of the year.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The most remarkable thing to look at in these charts is the sales of the wiiboard.

The sales of WiiFit cement week after week the mass market appeal of this new control method. When Nintendo announced a Revolution, had they the wii board in mind? Cause the more this peripheral sells, the more likely its physical input will be used in future games. And it may revolutionize the way we play games indeed. I can't wait to see an action/adventure game based on it for instance.

WiiFit is a game, bundled with an ultra versatile physical controller, with tremendous potential in all kinds of genres. To the people who still want to see the wii as a GC: the wiiboard is a reality, its technology is a reality. And its sales are real. Games using it are coming. And gaming is evolving into something really different.

This is what these charts inspire me :)

Previous week -> This week
PSP: 54.000 -> 55.000 (+1000)
Wii: 44.000 -> 45.000 (+1000)
DSL: 36.000 -> 37.000 (+1000)
PS3: 8.100 -> 8.700 (+600)
PS2: 6.600 -> 6.600 (0)
360: 1.700 -> 1.700 (0)

Mindblowing changes this week eh? Going by PSP bump despite releases, Shiren 3 putting Wii ahead of it wouldn't be a big surprise.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:
First, remember that MKDS came out a good bit earlier than NSMB. And it's still selling more on a weekly basis. It's never going to beat NSMB LTD, but wow at those legs.

...yeah well, I s'pose... You have a point. Hmph.

(I actually had a really really really tall picture I was going to post in response, but it would likely cause havoc. So I won't!)

kswiston

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Previous week -> This week
PSP: 54.000 -> 55.000 (+1000)
Wii: 44.000 -> 45.000 (+1000)
DSL: 36.000 -> 37.000 (+1000)
PS3: 8.100 -> 8.700 (+600)
PS2: 6.600 -> 6.600 (0)
360: 1.700 -> 1.700 (0)

Mindblowing changes this week eh? Going by PSP bump despite releases, Shiren 3 putting Wii ahead of it wouldn't be a big surprise.

I doubt it. Mario Kart Wii bumped Wii sales by all of 1500 units on the Media Create charts. Considering Shiren will be lucky if its LTD ends up being half of what MKWiis first week was, I don't think we will see any bump in Wii sales beyond statistical noise.

Top Bottom